• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insane..

4 weeks ago I was 136lbs.

I drink a quart of milk (little under a gallon per day) with every meal..

I just stepped on the scale and I'm 151 today.

I eat normally, hit the gym and lift heavy twice a week, and added the milk...I've never ever been able to break 145lbs!

Just wondering, is most of that weight fat? I'm curious about trying this.

I'd have to side with ILB on this one. No point gaining weight that fast unless you're on steroids or HGH. Even if you were the most genetically gifted teenager in the world, there's no way you're putting on more than 1lb a week of muscle.

Edit - I mean fuck... if you're going to gain weight that fast, at least do it with chocolate cake and pizza. Get fat and enjoy the experience!

BumRush

I'd have to side with ILB on this one. No point gaining weight that fast unless you're on steroids or HGH. Even if you were the most genetically gifted teenager in the world, there's no way you're putting on more than 1lb a week of muscle.

Edit - I mean fuck... if you're going to gain weight that fast, at least do it with chocolate cake and pizza. Get fat and enjoy the experience!

I agree. That's a lot of fat. Not entirely necessary in my opinion.

JoeNut

Thanks for replies about leg days, i think you may be right that doing once a week is causing it, so i'm gonna have a dedicated leg day but also do some lighter squats a couple of days prior too

mdsfx

Well that's it for Instagram. Every time I post a progress pic my wife just has to comment. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's sarcastic, but every once in a while it's an obvious "claiming her territory" comment. Wtf. It's not Tinder. RELAX.

Well that's it for Instagram. Every time I post a progress pic my wife just has to comment. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's sarcastic, but every once in a while it's an obvious "claiming her territory" comment. Wtf. It's not Tinder. RELAX.
pix

block her.

kmag

Anyone had this before?

After the gym today I've had an intermittent sharp pain in my forearm near my elbow, and my grip in that side feels a bit weak/spongy

It was mostly a leg day, though I do deadlifts on leg day and I do push ups in the warm up each day.

Cagey

Banned

IG is Tinder with pretense. It's Tinder-adjace.

If she's feeling the need to pee on her fire hydrant then you must be progressing nicely, so take it as a positive. (These are the lies I tell myself).

BumRush

Anyone had this before?

After the gym today I've had an intermittent sharp pain in my forearm near my elbow, and my grip in that side feels a bit weak/spongy

It was mostly a leg day, though I do deadlifts on leg day and I do push ups in the warm up each day.

Could just be a nerve...most likely not serious but ice it and rest it until you're absolutely sure.

So, my food scale came in the other day and I've started to use it and I may now know why I haven't had any progression in weight for like a month now (I've been hovering around 206 forever). I've been eating far less than what I've been putting into My Fitness Pal. Without the knowledge of just how much I've been eating, Ive been overestimating what I've been consuming and have probably been eating at either maintenance or deficit for a while. The food scale really makes a difference and now things will probably start to progress for real now that I can accurately measure my intake

mkenyon

Banned
hahahahaha

same with mine.

"Who's that redhead?"

"Who is Cat?"
IG is Tinder with pretense. It's Tinder-adjace.

If she's feeling the need to pee on her fire hydrant then you must be progressing nicely, so take it as a positive. (These are the lies I tell myself).
If I were married to him, I'd want to do the same. He's like Greek-God-meets-Fight-Club-Brad Pitt.

mdsfx

If I were married to him, I'd want to do the same. He's like Greek-God-meets-Fight-Club-Brad Pitt.
That's a ridiculous comment, but I'm absolutely locking that away in my secret vault of compliments.
Thanks for the boost!

Sifl

I only posted here once or twice, just wanted to say I'm pretty sure I just snapped my shit up dling. I stupidly went for 1 more rep even tho I had already stepped away because I felt like I couldn't do anymore. Got it halfway, felt/heard a pop and lowered it. My lower back is on fire, thought it feels a little better and my pelvis and quads are hurting too.

mkenyon

Banned
I only posted here once or twice, just wanted to say I'm pretty sure I just snapped my shit up dling. I stupidly went for 1 more rep even tho I had already stepped away because I felt like I couldn't do anymore. Got it halfway, felt/heard a pop and lowered it. My lower back is on fire, thought it feels a little better and my pelvis and quads are hurting too.
Fuck.

I'd go see someone. I'd even be afraid to stretch that.

mkenyon

Banned
Disclaimer: I get a bit more freaked out with back stuff, because one time I took my wife to the hospital because she thought she broke some ribs.

End result was spinal fusion surgery with 5 total vertebrae, and we're damn lucky the drive and walk to the hospital didn't cause permanent nerve damage.

Sifl

Yea, Im nervous too because I do have back issues. Anyone who reads this will probably think I'm stupid, because I am, but I have pretty bad lordosis but I still wanted to learn how to dl anyway. Took me like 6 months to get my form down so I could be comfortable with it, been doing it fine for a year up until like a month ago. It was bound to happen eventually since I'm basically playing with fire, but I should have just stopped.

entremet

For the Food Network addicts, Chef Robert Irvine is jacked. Great inspiration for his age.

Could be on TRT, but who cares. Great dedication and you still need to put your time at the gym.

CPr4xjCWoAAWDqo.jpg

entremet

When I'm his age I'm probably going to be on TRT too

Dat planet fitness tho.....smh

lol.

He travels a lot, so any gym is better than no gym.

Also, I remember reading about his routine, he does high rep sets on machines. He doesn't do much heavy barbell stuff anymore.

He said he's too old for that lol.

I disagree with him, you can lift barbells with safety for life, but it works for him.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
For the Food Network addicts, Chef Robert Irvine is jacked. Great inspiration for his age.

Could be on TRT, but who cares. Great dedication and you still need to put your time at the gym.

CPr4xjCWoAAWDqo.jpg
Could be? Haha Way to be nice E!

CPr4xjCWoAAWDqo.jpg

why is his head so big. on the show he has a small head and big body lol.

it's so weird to see him without a shirt since i was used to looking at him in a tight shirt lol.

lol.

He travels a lot, so any gym is better than no gym.

Also, I remember reading about his routine, he does high rep sets on machines. He doesn't do much heavy barbell stuff anymore.

He said he's too old for that lol.

I disagree with him, you can lift barbells with safety for life, but it works for him.

I agree with you on barbells. Rippetoe is old as fuck but he still pulls pretty heavy

http://youtu.be/hMeDjwN8Dd8

ILoveBish

Just passed 47.5 hour on the 72 hour fast. Feel fine other then only getting 2 hours of sleep last night. I tried sleeping for hours but no go. So been drinking lots of water and coffee here and there. After work hopefully knock out. Might still have too much energy, we'll see.

Also that food network dude is shredded. He always looked terrific on the show, but didn't know he was that lean.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I remember seeing him do a video doing 15 plus dead hang chins too.

Dude puts in the work. Aesthetic bros may hate on him, but dude is strong af.

I wonder which is better for you healthwise as you age, training for strength or hypertrophy. I always think strength will be my top goal, and I'd think being more functional is critical to living a fulfilling life, but who knows.

Strength, without question, not just because of functional aspects either. Bone density plays a big part of it.

Edit - That said... does your hypertrophy work have enough volume to improve CV fitness? If so it's going to be a much closer fight!

GrapeApes

What do you guys suggest for building grip? Stalled on deadlift due to grip. I feel I have the strength to get 2-3 reps but the bar seems to start slipping out my hands on the first rep. Already use chalk but anything past 480 starts rolling down.

ILoveBish

What do you guys suggest for building grip? Stalled on deadlift due to grip. I feel I have the strength to get 2-3 reps but the bar seems to start slipping out my hands on the first rep. Already use chalk but anything past 480 starts rolling down.

Chalk and mixed grip, train with farmers walks as well.

I personally don't see the harm in using straps if you just use them on your biggest lift. I have tiny feminine hands and my grip will only go so far. I train it specifically using a number of methods (quite important for climbing) but at the end of the day, the rest of my body is far stronger than my grip will ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom