• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Beautiful family you've got there :)

Took my wife and kids to an annual 5K at a local Arboretum this morning and had a blast. Ran the 5K with my wife (her first race) then watched my two oldest kids run in their respective races (firsts for them as well).

Everyone loved the experience. It was so freaking cool to see the family enjoy something that I love to do.

Side note: this was the first time I've ever taken advantage of the free, post-race beer lol. What a strange tradition...

Don't do Spartan Races/Tough Mudder/etc.

The post alcohol festivities are legendary.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Did my programming schedule for the week. May be attempting 280lb OHP and 510lb x10 deadlifts. Will see how the week goes and how I feel.

haven't tried them yet but this fall, I have been channeling my inner basic white girl and been going crazy on pumpkin spice lattes.

Salted caramel is better brah.

ILoveBish

This week may likely be off calorie wise. I'm trying out several ice cream recipes. I need to pick one that i'll be happy with. The dairy one came out to 1950 calories for the entire recipe, the non dairy one from here:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/dairy-free-ice-cream-recipe

Only 740 calories for the entire thing. The dairy version is legit as it gets, effing amazing. The non-dairy one, i just put it in the freezer from the ice cream machine, but its really coconutty flavor wise. Good thing is i freaking LOVE coconut ice cream. So we'll see how it is tomorrow. If it turns out as good as it did from licking the spoon during cleanup of the ice cream, i'm likely going to switch to this and have it everyday.

Going to also do a test run tomorrow for the shawarma plate, if i don't really need 1/2 a cup of tahini, i can drastically reduce calories and have even more ice cream every single day.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So missed the last 2 workouts of the 3rd week of a 5/3/1 cycle last week. This week is now deload week. Should I continue with deload as usual or do the 3rd cycle over?.

Reason I missed the last 2 workouts is I injured my back deadlifting but feeling better now. The first 2 days after deadlifting I had trouble getting up or even walking without some back pain. Like I mentioned in previous posts, first time I've injured myself lifting :(.

ILoveBish

So missed the last 2 workouts of the 3rd week of a 5/3/1 cycle last week. This week is now deload week. Should I continue with deload as usual or do the 3rd cycle over?.

Reason I missed the last 2 workouts is I injured my back deadlifting but feeling better now. The first 2 days after deadlifting I had trouble getting up or even walking without some back pain. Like I mentioned in previous posts, first time I've injured myself lifting :(.

I recently had this happen, what i always do is do the last 2 days next week, then go back to the 4 day week. That has worked for me. I did 3s week this session over 2 weeks, 2 days a week, then 1s week right back to 4 days a week. Haven't had issues doing this personally.

despire

Been listening to Kinobody podcasts during walks and at work. I like them, they contain a lot of stuff and have interesting guests, especially the long ones. Mostly about nutrition/lifting but also a lot related psychological stuff.

It's Road to Ripped @ itunes.

Hi guys

Been doing Starting strength but I'm really struggling to hit the calorie goals. It seems like too much food and it's a chore. Any ideas for easy food to hit the calories? Or is it possible to achieve my goals without bulking? The goal is aesthetics, as shallow as it is I want to look lean and muscular aka ripped.

I'mean 6 foot 2 and 80kg, 22 year old male.

Any suggestions?

Calorie dense foods... which is basically anything with a significant quantity of fat in it. Nuts, oily fish, olive / coconut oil, avocados, peanut butter... and many more.

Talking of weight. I've gotten to the end of my cut now, and FitGAF will no doubt be horrified to know that I now weigh a truly massive 135lbs (61.2kg) on a 5' 9" body (I have an extremely small frame, but still).

What do you reckon bros, time to put on a bit of bulk?

Azulsky

The best thing for trying to eat more for me on a consistent basis that isnt junk food is eating on a schedule.

Seems to work for me.

despire

Hi guys

Been doing Starting strength but I'm really struggling to hit the calorie goals. It seems like too much food and it's a chore. Any ideas for easy food to hit the calories? Or is it possible to achieve my goals without bulking? The goal is aesthetics, as shallow as it is I want to look lean and muscular aka ripped.

I'mean 6 foot 2 and 80kg, 22 year old male.

Any suggestions?

How much are you trying to eat?

Is it just me, or does 3200kcal not sound like a lot of food? I mean, if you're trying to do everything super strict I could see it mounting up, but a bit of cheese here and there, or a bit of fatty meat... get there easy.

Is it just me, or does 3200kcal not sound like a lot of food? I mean, if you're trying to do everything super strict I could see it mounting up, but a bit of cheese here and there, or a bit of fatty meat... get there easy.

Trying to clean bulk. Could I still do that do you think with minimal fat gain?

I'm personally not a great believer that what you're eating to bulk makes a great deal of difference to how you actually bulk (assuming you've got the basics covered and you're eating nutritionally sound food as a baseline). Assuming that you're calorie tracking anyway.

Others might argue with me on that one. I personally aim to hit my protein and fat macros, and make sure I take in a good variety of vegetables / fruits and other non processed food. Beyond that, it's fair game short of going mad with artificial crap like poptarts etc

Nelo Ice

Banned
I recently had this happen, what i always do is do the last 2 days next week, then go back to the 4 day week. That has worked for me. I did 3s week this session over 2 weeks, 2 days a week, then 1s week right back to 4 days a week. Haven't had issues doing this personally.
Thanks for the help. Guess I'll finish off 1s week then start another cycle next week.

despire

Trying to clean bulk. Could I still do that do you think with minimal fat gain?

It's more about the calories, not the macros. How much fat and protein are you getting now? What are you eating now? Rice or potatoes? Beef or chicken breast? Hopefully the former options as they are more dense calorically. Also you can add a little junk if it helps hitting your calories.

Also, how did you come up with 3200? Some calculator?

BumRush

It's not. At my ideal weight I'm 5'10", 175 and eat 3200 a day easily...I could eat double that, hunger-wise.

It's more about the calories, not the macros. How much fat and protein are you getting now? What are you eating now? Rice or potatoes? Beef or chicken breast? Hopefully the former options as they are more dense calorically. Also you can add a little junk if it helps hitting your calories.

Also, how did you come up with 3200? Some calculator?

Brown Rice, sweet potatoes and chicken are all part of my diet at the moment. I struggle to stomach so much rice though. Yes, I used the calculator in the OT.

Random aside, can't stand brown rice. Give me Basmati or give me death! Though I will eat brown Basmati at a push. Thai sticky rice is delicious too.

BumRush

If you don't mind could you provide some examples of how you hit your calorie goals while bulking?

I just eat a lot of whatever I'm eating. I don't really do portion control and my body loves it. For instance, I went out with my wife and ordered sushi, appetizers, "Porterhouse for 3" and like 4 sides...there were no leftovers.

That doesn't sound like it will work for you.

One way to get a lot of calories without eating a lot of volume is protein shakes. 2 cups whole milk, 1 banana, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, raw oatmeal, 2 scoops of protein, 1 tablespoon olive oil. That's well over 1000 calories right there and it can be had with your meal.

I just eat a lot of whatever I'm eating. I don't really do portion control and my body loves it. For instance, I went out with my wife and ordered sushi, appetizers, "Porterhouse for 3" and like 4 sides...there were no leftovers.

That doesn't sound like it will work for you.

One way to get a lot of calories without eating a lot of volume is protein shakes. 2 cups whole milk, 1 banana, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, raw oatmeal, 2 scoops of protein, 1 tablespoon olive oil. That's well over 1000 calories right there and it can be had with your meal.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'll try that and see how I feel, thanks. Should I be afraid to eat slightly unhealthier food if the calorie goals require it?

Quikies83

Calorie dense foods... which is basically anything with a significant quantity of fat in it. Nuts, oily fish, olive / coconut oil, avocados, peanut butter... and many more.

Talking of weight. I've gotten to the end of my cut now, and FitGAF will no doubt be horrified to know that I now weigh a truly massive 135lbs (61.2kg) on a 5' 9" body (I have an extremely small frame, but still).

What do you reckon bros, time to put on a bit of bulk?
Id imagine our body types are quite similar. I'm 5" 9 and currently at 142. Ectomorphs unite.
I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, at 32, but I could drop maybe 5 pounds to erase the love handles.

Id imagine our body types are quite similar. I'm 5" 9 and currently at 142. Ectomorphs unite.
I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, at 32, but I could drop maybe 5 pounds to erase the love handles.

Loose skin aside, I'm pretty happy with where I am, but I'd definitely like to start seeing the numbers heading up on my lifts.

I've also almost completely lost my ass in this cut, so I'm going to have to do something about putting some muscle there!

Quikies83

Loose skin aside, I'm pretty happy with where I am, but I'd definitely like to start seeing the numbers heading up on my lifts.

I've also almost completely lost my ass in this cut, so I'm going to have to do something about putting some muscle there!
Im with you on the numbers... Mainly on OHP.
My ass is legit :) Squats and Romanian deadlifts have given me a meaty bun that begs to be touched.. Jean Claude Van Damm is my ass inspiration.
How many calories were you shooting for a day during cut?

BumRush

Can you post your assistance lifts? I dont really have a good feeling for when to do supersets. I have been doing drops on arms and shoulders.

Right now, this is my basic program (lifting 4/7 days a week). I change it every 6-8 weeks after I do a deload / rest week, but the structure will remain similar for a while (takes me 45-60 minutes at most since my assistance lifts have 60 second rests)...p.s. all done in my garage. If I'm going to a gym I may work in cables, lat pull downs, etc. :

Pull (A):
DL (1-2 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Squats (1-2 warmup sets, 4 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Bent over rows SS Barbell curls with Fat Grips (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
Good Mornings SS Pull Ups (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
Resistance tube work (biceps, face pulls, etc.) as cool down

Push (A):
OHP (1-2 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Flat Bench Press (1-2 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Incline DB Pause Press SS Upright Rows (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
Flat Bench DB Fly SS Lateral Raises (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
Shrugs Drop Set (4 working sets, 3 drops per set)
Resistance tube work (chest flys, overhead extensions, etc.) as cool down

Pull (B):
Power Clean (1-2 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Squats (1-2 warmup sets, 4 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Barbell Curl Drop Set (4 working sets, 3 drops per set)
DB Back Fly SS Pull Ups (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
Resistance tube work (biceps, face pulls, etc.) as cool down

Push (B):
OHP (1-2 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Flat Bench Press (1-2 warmup sets, 3 working sets, 1-8 rep range)
Decline DB Pause Press SS DB Front Raises (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
CGBP SS Triceps Overhead Extensions (3 working sets, 8-15 rep range)
Arnold Press (3 sets to F)
Resistance tube work (chest flys, overhead extensions, upright rows, etc.) as cool down

Most important thing is that I get those compounds in. If I only have 30 minutes I might bail on an assistance lift but it's not a workout unless I nail those compounds.

Im with you on the numbers... Mainly on OHP.
My ass is legit :) Squats and Romanian deadlifts have given me a meaty bun that begs to be touched.. Jean Claude Van Damm is my ass inspiration.
How many calories were you shooting for a day during cut?

Yup, OHP for me too. Tis pathetic. =/

Towards the end, 1,500kcal... however, that's exercise adjusted as thanks to all the mountain biking / training I burn a massive amount of calories through cardio. Basically I'd take a calculation of what I burnt based on my heart rate, then take two thirds of that, and then add that on to my intake.

So if I burned 1,000kcal according to the calculators, I'd add 666kcal worth of calories to my intake for that day. Seemed to work pretty reliably (I'm clearly much more efficient than the calculators would have me).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Might want to think about cutting down your cycling from 23 hours a day to 22 or so? Just a thought...

despire

Well I suppose I'm meaning unhealthy in the sense that it contains a lot of bad fats, or simple carbs. Like a cheeseburger or something.

Simple carbs aren't bad necessarily. You can very well get some on your workout days for example to hit your calories.

Regarding fats, trans fats are the only really BAD fats. There are some benefits to preferring unsaturated fats to saturated fats but saturated fat won't kill you like many still believe.

Neither will make you gain fat unless you go overboard with calories. It's all about the calories. Now I'm not saying you should eat cheeseburgers everyday but trying to be super clean on calories can be hard.

Irobot82

Simple carbs aren't bad necessarily. You can very well get some on your workout days for example to hit your calories.

Regarding fats, trans fats are the only really BAD fats. There are some benefits to preferring unsaturated fats to saturated fats but saturated fat won't kill you like many still believe.

Neither will make you gain fat unless you go overboard with calories. It's all about the calories. Now I'm not saying you should eat cheeseburgers everyday but trying to be super clean on calories can be hard.

Piling on top of this, the subject can get rather complicated, but currently it's my understanding it has more to do with inflammation in your body that leads to things like plaque in your arteries.

Fats get a bad rap.

Azulsky

Squats, Lunges, Hip Thrusts.

You will be seeing quads from the back and ass from the front in no time.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'll try that and see how I feel, thanks. Should I be afraid to eat slightly unhealthier food if the calorie goals require it?

Just try to avoid absolute junk food. At least when I eat 2 cups of rice for a meal it fills me. Equivalent carbs from a coke doesn't do that. The worst I do is beer.

With winter coming it is chili season so that is going to be easy calories for me.

BumRush

Remember, the thing with burgers is that it's not just the fat. You're having carbs, dairy, red meat, etc. and all of those can have a negative impact if overdone. I agree though...I have a high volume of fat in my diet and my bloodwork lately has been phenomenal!

ILoveBish

Deload week at the gym, everything went well. Nothing much to speak of, have guests over tonight and trying out new meal plan as a test run. Hyped to try the new ice cream. Weighed in at 227.2 this morning after refeed and really bad eating this weekend. After the gym while I was getting changed, the bottom abs were peaking out. The full 6 pack might be closer then I thought.

Switched as of today to eating when I get home from work. Will hopefully be a smooth transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom