• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Excellent!! Congrats dude. You seem pumped.

It's a great position...Money is through the roof and i should be able to spend a lot more time with family! Win-win!
Damn. Dream come true! See, good things happen when you are positive and work hard.

Edit: Oh and I am! Great opportunity for me and if I play my cards right I could be President/CEO/CFO in 20-25 years.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wow that was crazy! congrats

When you ordered your SS yoke bar did you get tracking? They say they shipped it but i haven't gotten a tracking number. It's been awhile since I ordered from them but I think I got a tracking number last time.

Their shipping is horrible when I ship from them I stay up their ass until I get my item. I'd definitely give a call/email just to establish contact.

Damn. Dream come true! See, good things happen when you are positive and work hard.

Edit: Oh and I am! Great opportunity for me and if I play my cards right I could be President/CEO/CFO in 20-25 years.

Nice, hope it all plays out well.

Teggy

I have been stuck at 185 lbs for a couple of weeks while keeping my calories down. On Saturday I had McNuggets for lunch and Chinese food for dinner, and last night I had 3/4s of a pint of Ben and Jerry's before bed. Today I noticed that I was needing to tighten my belt an extra hole and it turns out I am at 182.

Weight loss is weird.

mdsfx

I have been stuck at 185 lbs for a couple of weeks while keeping my calories down. On Saturday I had McNuggets for lunch and Chinese food for dinner, and last night I had 3/4s of a pint of Ben and Jerry's before bed. Today I noticed that I was needing to tighten my belt an extra hole and it turns out I am at 182.

Weight loss is weird.
Hey! I just had Chinese 15 minutes ago for the first time in months (and lots of it)! I'll hope for the same result lol

Cooter

Oh boy! Feeling strong today. 300x2x3 and 305x3 on bench and 120sx2x3 and 120sx6 on incline DB press.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Almost had a great workout.

Squats: 265 lbs 3x5 (PR)
Good mornings: 110lbs 4x10
DB bench: 90s 1x4.5, 2x5

Left arm failed first set. Figured out what I could do better the next sets. Will get it next time.

Kevyt

Update:

I think I'm back to my old self. Lost about 3-4 pounds of "summer fun." Still probably around 9%, but I think I've given up on sustaining much lower. It's seemingly impossible for me.

Will start bulking just for a few weeks at a time after my race on 11/8. Really want to focus on my legs and core/lower back.

Amazing.

Also, I peeked over your IG and saw your video of your muscle ups. My friend and I are trying really hard to get those down. I figured that twist you do with your wrists have to be on point. The first time I tried I hurt my left wrist pretty bad. Pushing myself upwards, in that motion I noticed you kick your legs to the front, keeping the momentum. It's always so difficult to even begin to try it.

Do you have any tips?

mdsfx

Amazing.

Also, I peeked over your IG and saw your video of your muscle ups. My friend and I are trying really hard to get those down. I figured that twist you do with your wrists have to be on point. The first time I tried I hurt my left wrist pretty bad. Pushing myself upwards, in that motion I noticed you kick your legs to the front, keeping the momentum. It's always so difficult to even begin to try it.

Do you have any tips?

Thanks!

The most helpful thing for me was doing Weighted pull-ups. Once you get used to those you feel so much lighter without the weight. It made it seem easier to accomplish and helped me hurdle the mental side of things.

As far as the transition from being under the bar to getting above it, that is still something I have to work on. I basically need my hands spaced so they are just outside my waist once I'm up. Any farther out and it requires too much shoulder strength which I don't have. Any narrower and my hand are in the way. For me, it's about getting enough upward momentum to carry me just high enough so that the moment my weight isn't on my hands (when I'm 'floating' for that micro second) I can loosen my grip and rotate them while also leaning my torso over the bar, being ready to hold myself up. Expect calluses on your hands lol.

Not sure it'll help you or not, but I also practiced a lot of pull-ups where I would pull myself as high and fast as I could upwards (without trying to do a muscle up). Eventually most of my pull-ups brought the bar to mid-chest. Once I could do that I was close to being ready.

I really should have done some research on them. I can get the job done, but that doesn't mean it's the best way.

Nilaul

Gaf I brought myself a pull-up bar which is supposed to hold upto 150kg. The pull up bar is fine. I weigh 75kg. However the whole thing is coming out slowly with the wall. Its drilled into a structural vertical cement column using 6cm screws but the screws are coming out with the cement around them.

What to do? Perhaps while drilling the drill was moving and making the whole bigger a few cm in. Or should I get bigger screws? But then how do I find a drill to accommodate this?

Cooter

Thanks!

The most helpful thing for me was doing Weighted pull-ups. Once you get used to those you feel so much lighter without the weight. It made it seem easier to accomplish and helped me hurdle the mental side of things.

As far as the transition from being under the bar to getting above it, that is still something I have to work on. I basically need my hands spaced so they are just outside my waist once I'm up. Any farther out and it requires too much shoulder strength which I don't have. Any narrower and my hand are in the way. For me, it's about getting enough upward momentum to carry me just high enough so that the moment my weight isn't on my hands (when I'm 'floating' for that micro second) I can loosen my grip and rotate them while also leaning my torso over the bar, being ready to hold myself up. Expect calluses on your hands lol.

Not sure it'll help you or not, but I also practiced a lot of pull-ups where I would pull myself as high and fast as I could upwards (without trying to do a muscle up). Eventually most of my pull-ups brought the bar to mid-chest. Once I could do that I was close to being ready.

I really should have done some research on them. I can get the job done, but that doesn't mean it's the best way.
Almost exactly what I did. The one final piece of advice is get lean. Every pound matters when you're dealing with muscle-ups.

despire

Do fat burners really work?, do they speed up the fat losing process?, any recommendations?

No.

Some products that actually do something work by upping your metabolic rate a bit. Ephedrine for example. Yohimbine works by increasing blood flow in some areas in your body. But it's not magic or a huge difference, you still need a deficit.

None of the normal fat burners you can just buy from most stores don't work.

mdsfx

Almost exactly what I did. The one final piece of advice is get lean. Every pound matters when you're dealing with muscle-ups.
Oh yes good point. I'm a small guy (150's) and a little 'top-heavy' so that definitely helped.

Just working out how much caffeine to take for my 24 hour event. I'm thinking I shouldn't have read about it because suddenly the 1,400mg I have seems like a lot...

Isn't 15 cups of coffee at once kind of a lot? Is it spread out over the day?

That lot will be over about 8-10 hours. It's about a third of my lethal limit, so I should be OK, especially as I guess my body will be burning through everything that gets thrown at it at quite a rate.

Hey everyone,

I'm training for an adult track & field meet that's happening next April. I plan on doing the 100 & 200 Meter sprints. I did this back in high school (10+ years ago), but haven't really ran since then.

I have access to a track but no weights. Any advice on some good workouts? Should I just do intervals for the next 6 months?

Cooter

I don't like it at all. Still not even halfway through my box. It doesn't take like pumpkin anything.
This is how I felt about S'mores when they dropped. Didn't even finish the box. I treat pumkin pie as a candy bar treat. Funny how taste buds work.

Necrovex

I'm wondering if anyone could assist me with a simple full body workout regime? I normally would use the OP, but I live in the boonies of Africa, thus I have no gyms nearby (closest would be 4 hours one way), and no typical weights. I'll be in this situation for a year and a half and I don't want to be losing all sorts of muscles before returning home. So would anyone recommend a simple workout routine not needing any gym gears? I plan to add running, but I'll need some strength training along with it. Nothing too crazy, I only want the minimum to remain healthy (I can't bulk due to my food situation).

Fox318

Got back on a stricter low carb/no added sugar/high fiber diet. Lost 10 lbs so far and my muscle strength is back to where it was when I was more consistent working out.

Faiz

Anyone ever dealt with golfers elbow? Its basically the same as tennis elbow, just the inside of the elbow instead of the outside.

Mine isn't terrible but it's annoying and makes me nervous. I decided to go light this week as a break, but after benching at 60% today I'm considering taking time off completely. Even chin-ups irritated it a bit, and squats on Tuesday weren't great either.

My elbow isn't stiff at all, it's just a little painful when the forearm is flexed, particularly during presses.

Mugaaz

Anyone ever dealt with golfers elbow? Its basically the same as tennis elbow, just the inside of the elbow instead of the outside.

Mine isn't terrible but it's annoying and makes me nervous. I decided to go light this week as a break, but after benching at 60% today I'm considering taking time off completely. Even chin-ups irritated it a bit, and squats on Tuesday weren't great either.

My elbow isn't stiff at all, it's just a little painful when the forearm is flexed, particularly during presses.

Taking time off doesn't really help, if you define "help" as allowing you to bench without pain. I tried this too, it didn't do anything.

More chins, much more, will help. They will make it worse for 1-2 weeks, then it will get much better. I used to get pain to the point I had to stop sessions. Tried Ibuprofen, hammer curls, rest, etc. Little impact. When I started taking chins seriously it went away completely and stayed that way.

pixelation

No.

Some products that actually do something work by upping your metabolic rate a bit. Ephedrine for example. Yohimbine works by increasing blood flow in some areas in your body. But it's not magic or a huge difference, you still need a deficit.

None of the normal fat burners you can just buy from most stores don't work.

Thought so, it's just that stubborn fat really is stubborn. I have just this little spot where i can still see a bit of fat in my lower abs region. But it can't seem to go away, caloric deficit and all and it bothers me so much!

despire

Thought so, it's just that stubborn fat really is stubborn. I have just this little spot where i can still see a bit of fat in my lower abs region. But it can't seem to go away, caloric deficit and all and it bothers me so much!

Well yohimbine usually helps with stubborn fat but it's a small difference. You just need to get leaner.

Cagey

Banned
I don't remember the poster, but thanks to the dude who was giving me some advice on DIY pre-workout.

I've been making my own pre-workout at home for a few weeks now and it's far more effective than anything else I've taken post-DMAA. Being able to ensure proper dosage of the most effective ingredients has been the biggest change. Some Hawaiian Punch single serving packets and down it goes. And being able to control the caffeine dosage every day based on energy level, namely not taking more caffeine than needed if I'm amped up, is a nice change.

BumRush

I don't remember the poster, but thanks to the dude who was giving me some advice on DIY pre-workout.

I've been making my own pre-workout at home for a few weeks now and it's far more effective than anything else I've taken post-DMAA. Being able to ensure proper dosage of the most effective ingredients has been the biggest change. Some Hawaiian Punch single serving packets and down it goes. And being able to control the caffeine dosage every day based on energy level, namely not taking more caffeine than needed if I'm amped up, is a nice change.

Psycho makes his own preworkout...probably him?

Cooter

Psycho makes his own preworkout...probably him?
If it was the same guy who was hitting on your wife it was definitely Psycho!

___

These glute ham raises are killing me. I'm walking around like an 80 year old lately. Did not expect them to wreck me like this.

Whenever I try to squat I get a sharp pain in my right knee. The pain only lasts for a second then goes away but will happen again if I try another rep.

I can walk, run, etc. normally but it seems if I try to any type of leg press motion with my knees bent at a 45 degree angle to start causes the sharp pain. Any ideas?

And I've never had a knee injury of any kind before.

If it was the same guy who was hitting on your wife it was definitely Psycho!

!

Unrelated, took my progress pics today. Not really ideal timing but I'm going to look like shit after my ride. I must say that I'm quite pleased. The loose skin sucks, but my upper abs are rippedtastic and the rest of me, though small, looks pretty damn good.

Looking forward to a good bulk and then seeing if I can get some muscle for my next cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom