• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Considering I might be able to get 3 if I'm lucky, watching you get 10 is difficult to comprehend. Simply amazing. I swear Brolic, your videos make me want to abandon all aesthetic goals I have and go full powerlifter mode. Can't wait until your next max day.

10 reps @ 510 is insane. As Cooter said, I want to be like fuck it and go back hard on the strength train. That being said, I will leave that to the pros like yourself. Let me look pretty.

Keep on keepin on. Seriously, extremely motivating.

Thanks guys. It's crazy how far we've come in the last few years. And cooter , I'll have no more max days, all extra work at near max is done with chains now. Maxes are only done at competition. Something else I got from Donnie.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys. It's crazy how far we've come in the last few years. And cooter , I'll have no more max days, all extra work at near max is done with chains now. Maxes are only done at competition. Something else I got from Donnie.
Oh really? Well that will make competitions even more special and a day to anticipate. Nice!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Excellent job. How many sets / reps are you looking to do, or are you giving it a 1 rep max effort?

I typically do 3 sets of 5, but I just wanted to get as many as I could today. Ended up doing 6 reps before calling it. Just terrifyingly heavy for my body. I'm going to keep working on it though. I hope to do the full 15 reps by the end of next week.

SeanR1221

So since May I've been trying to lose weight.

A few weeks ago I hit my peak loss of 69lbs. Since then I gained 8lbs, lost 7, gained 4.

I've hit this plataeu that I'm having trouble getting passed. I haven't changed anything that's been working for me.

A few weeks ago I was getting about 1000 or less calories a day and working out. I think that was too low and have since tried to get closer to 1500-2000 calories.

If anyone can give me advice on how to continue progressing, I'd be grateful.

Sounds like your calories were waaaaay too low so it's a good idea you fixed that. Can you post the average day and what you eat? And just to be sure, are you weighing all your food?

zewone

Sounds like your calories were waaaaay too low so it's a good idea you fixed that. Can you post the average day and what you eat? And just to be sure, are you weighing all your food?

Sure.

My breakfast is typically about 400-500 calories. I'll typically have a breakfast burrito or oatmeal. I do a green juice about 3 to 4 days of the week.

Lunch is another 500 calories. Typically a large salad with light or no dressing. Sometimes chicken and greens.

For dinner I'll usually do about 700 calories. If I'm not that hungry for dinner I'll have a pre or post workout protein bar or shake instead, which will either be 150-250 calories.

What I was doing before is skipping breakfast or dinner depending on the day.

I live about a mile from work so I walk each way. I work in an office environment so my physical activity is pretty light.

At night I'll do an hour on the stationary bike most of the time. Sometimes I'll switch it up to the treadmill and every so often I'll lift some weights.

So this new carb loading strategy... Ugh.

First an hour of brutal sprint intervals on the turbo trainer, then having to eat 30g of carbs every 15 mins for four hours. By the end of the four hours I felt genuinely ill. lol

Time will tell how well it worked.

ILoveBish

So this new carb loading strategy... Ugh.

First an hour of brutal sprint intervals on the turbo trainer, then having to eat 30g of carbs every 15 mins for four hours. By the end of the four hours I felt genuinely ill. lol

Time will tell how well it worked.

I felt ill just reading that.

MjFrancis

I've been reading this thread's love of Quest bars for years, and only recently got to try one last week. They're pretty good, but not sure if they are three bucks good. I understand why people go apeshit over them though.

Fox318

I've been reading this thread's love of Quest bars for years, and only recently got to try one last week. They're pretty good, but not sure if they are three bucks good. I understand why people go apeshit over them though.

honestly its the fiber number for me.

Then again I'm trying to lose weight and its nice to have a snack after work/before I work out.

At 3 bux they aren't worth it. Usually, people buy them in bulk when they come out to $1.25 a bar or along the lines of that.

Sure.

My breakfast is typically about 400-500 calories. I'll typically have a breakfast burrito or oatmeal. I do a green juice about 3 to 4 days of the week.

Lunch is another 500 calories. Typically a large salad with light or no dressing. Sometimes chicken and greens.

For dinner I'll usually do about 700 calories. If I'm not that hungry for dinner I'll have a pre or post workout protein bar or shake instead, which will either be 150-250 calories.

What I was doing before is skipping breakfast or dinner depending on the day.

I live about a mile from work so I walk each way. I work in an office environment so my physical activity is pretty light.

At night I'll do an hour on the stationary bike most of the time. Sometimes I'll switch it up to the treadmill and every so often I'll lift some weights.
So you've lost 70 pounds, do you have a body fat estimate to see how much more you have to lose?

If you've stalled out losing weight doing that much cardio, you probably need to add muscle mass to raise your base metabolic rate. I say probably because how long you do cardio is only the denominator in the work equation.

ILoveBish

Great day at the gym, felt really strong and I finally hit 5 reps of 10 on dips and still had energy for more. Time to invest in a belt to add weights to dips and soon enough, pull ups. Anyone have a belt they use and recommend?

On another note, met an Armenian chick that I clicked with immediately for arranged marriage. We spoke for hours and meeting up tomorrow. Insanely hyped.

I went up 1.8lbs this morning, felt strange but I think my body just rejected my old meal plan at this point. Thank God it's done. Looked super slim this morning. Feel so good.

Cooter

Wait arranged marriage?? Wow Bish. Do you have no say in the matter? Like...what if you didn't click?

AnAnole

So you've lost 70 pounds, do you have a body fat estimate to see how much more you have to lose?

If you've stalled out losing weight doing that much cardio, you probably need to add muscle mass to raise your base metabolic rate. I say probably because how long you do cardio is only the denominator in the work equation.

Adding muscle mass won't increase his metabolic rate that much. His metabolism will always be slower than another person who happens to be the same height/weight and body composition who hasn't lost weight to get there. Adaptive thermogenesis never goes away.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...cts_who_have_maintained_a_reduced_body_weight

ILoveBish

Wait arranged marriage?? Wow Bish. Do you have no say in the matter? Like...what if you didn't click?

Yeah, bish, arranged marriage...anything else you can divulge?

It's not really a big deal honestly. We do it old school style where parents ask other parents if they have unmarried kids and go from there. Starts with texts, then phone calls, then you meet and see how things go. No one is forced into anything, but family's want like minded people for their kids, they look at the whole package family wise as well.

Cooter

Oh Bish. That just sounds like matchmaking parents to me!

Any of you bros, getting ready for bulking season--fall/winter.

Less sunlight around my parts. Adios, summer.
Not this winter. Staying somewhere between 10-12% and focusing on small gains in my deadlift

mdsfx

50KZoY2.jpg

Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate you sending me 4 of them. Very nice of you. The best part is... I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM! lol

Nothing will ever beat the mint bars, but I actually give these 2nd place. The only major issue I have with them: they are chewy as hell! #JAWGAINS

Thanks again!

zewone

Adding muscle mass won't increase his metabolic rate that much. His metabolism will always be slower than another person who happens to be the same height/weight and body composition who hasn't lost weight to get there. Adaptive thermogenesis never goes away.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...cts_who_have_maintained_a_reduced_body_weight
Thanks for bringing this term to my attention. It sounds like I'm going to have to ride this out and trick my body into burning more fat later.

Irobot82

Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate you sending me 4 of them. Very nice of you. The best part is... I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM! lol

Nothing will ever beat the mint bars, but I actually give these 2nd place. The only major issue I have with them: they are chewy as hell! #JAWGAINS

Thanks again!

My case came in the mail today. They taste awesome! But they don't taste anything like pumpkin....at all. Still they are yummy. My wife said it tasted like squash >.<

mdsfx

My case came in the mail today. They taste awesome! But they don't taste anything like pumpkin....at all. Still they are yummy. My wife said it tasted like squash >.<

These are supposed to be pumpkin?! Jk, yeah I don't know what they taste like. It sure as hell isn't anything pumpkin related. Either way I like them.

ILoveBish

This chicken shawarma plate is out of control delicious. Like, destroyed my every expectation. Ontop of that, the Tahini sauce for it, i only needed half for a days meal. Thats 357 calories less then anticipated. I'll have to manipulate the ice cream recipe to add more calories now. Damn these hardships.

I haven't here posted in some weeks.

I hit a few bumps, but I'm still losing weight. I've lost another 3 kilos. Currently 85 kilos (187lbs). I've lost 32 kilos so far (70.5lbs).

I haven't been working out much though. And I've broken the IF a couple of times (I went on a couple of dates), but then I've gotten back on track.

Cooter

I hit a few bumps, but I'm still losing weight. I'm lost another 3 kilos. Currently 85 kilos (187lbs). I've lost 32 kilos so far (70.5lbs).

I haven't been working out much though. And I've broken the IF a couple of times (I went on a couple of dates), but then gotten back on track.
Great job! Don't worry about breaking fasts early. I only fast 18 hours plus 4 or 5 days a week. The other days are usually around 12-14. It really doesn't matter IMO.

ILoveBish

Since switching to eating at nights, i'm fasting about 20-21 hours a day now instead of the 24 i was doing before. Feels good to not have to down the food as fast as possible while at work. Eat comfy and on my own schedule. No biggie.

despire

I hit a few bumps, but I'm still losing weight. I've lost another 3 kilos. Currently 85 kilos (187lbs). I've lost 32 kilos so far (70.5lbs).

I haven't been working out much though. And I've broken the IF a couple of times (I went on a couple of dates), but then I've gotten back on track.

Fasting is just a tool to make eating at a deficit and life more enjoyable and easier. If you are OCD about it then that's no longer the case. I'd recommend everyone to just relax about your eating windows and fasting. It doen't make or break anything.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
A cute gay girl asked to grab my ass at a bar tonight. She knew I do squats. All the validation I'll ever need right there.

mdsfx

Heading out on my event in a short while. If all works correctly you should be able to view my progress and the route at the following link:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=f0905612dbb92ba28

You may have to zoom in on mid Wales. If that doesn't work, there's a link without the route here:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0U87paWMNoKRdCL2JW3GvxUBqZTXzFzKR

Aim is to be done in 24 hours, though technically I have 36 available. Here goes nothing!

Awesome, good luck man!!!

BumRush

Heading out on my event in a short while. If all works correctly you should be able to view my progress and the route at the following link:

You may have to zoom in on mid Wales. If that doesn't work, there's a link without the route here:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0U87paWMNoKRdCL2JW3GvxUBqZTXzFzKR

Aim is to be done in 24 hours, though technically I have 36 available. Here goes nothing!

Good luck, psycho!! You've earned your username today bud!! :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Don't die.

entremet

Is high frequency OHP bad for you?

I wanna do more to improve my numbers and more volume seems to the most common recommendation.

Cooter

I only OHP once a week. But I also bench in the same day as an accessory and 3-4 weeks a month ill also do some log/circusDB/axel clean/press as a part of my event days on Saturdays.

I wouldn't OHP every two days.
Yeah, he's right. Of course if you are on gear go right ahead and OHP until your little heart's content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom