• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Since I have basically reset everything after a long break from the gym I have switched to Greyskull. Let me tell you, if you haven't done a pull up in like 20+ years you can be sadly disappointed with your ability. I can do maaaaaybe 3. Negatives it will be for a while - at least I will feel real accomplishment when I can do 3x5. I felt it in my lats immediately.

3phemeral

Since I have basically reset everything after a long break from the gym I have switched to Greyskull. Let me tell you, if you haven't done a pull up in like 20+ years you can be sadly disappointed with your ability. I can do maaaaaybe 3. Negatives it will be for a while - at least I will feel real accomplishment when I can do 3x5. I felt it in my lats immediately.
It's definitely a great feeling when you reach that point. But even after all these months of training after that milestone, I'm still currently fluctuating between 6-5-4 and 5-4-3. Seems the only area I've reached a plateau with strength increase. =/

Teggy

It's definitely a great feeling when you reach that point. But even after all these months of training after that milestone, I'm still currently fluctuating between 6-5-4 and 5-4-3. Seems the only area I've reached a plateau with strength increase. =/

Have you put on any weight? It's kind of a weird exercise to track in the sense that unless you are keeping your weight steady you are actually giving yourself more work as you put on muscle.

ILoveBish

Hmm, down 4lbs overnight for no reason in particular. 221.8 this morning, lowest non fasted yet. Keeping track of my daily weigh ins is nice, I can go back if not sure to see where I was and do weekly and monthly averages.

Abs are looking better and better, really leaning out well right now.

3phemeral

Have you put on any weight? It's kind of a weird exercise to track in the sense that unless you are keeping your weight steady you are actually giving yourself more work as you put on muscle.

I'm surprised this didn't even cross my mind. My weight's been slowly increasing from 168-175-ish over the past few months so that would explain it. My original goal weight was 150 but I've still been slimming down while maintaining 175-ish so I haven't meddled with the progress. I realize 150 may have actually been an faulty ideal weight (I use to be 140 in high school).

Thanks for the insight. Next time I won't be so harsh on myself on those pull-ups.

My gym had an assistance machine, which lets you adjust how much weight you're pulling up. You stand on a bar that pushes back against your weight. It was very good for getting me to unassisted pull ups and chins. Good for a deload week too.

Astral

Not at all, unless you've been lifting for years. I'm guessing you just started, or started recently.

Well now I feel bad. I've been hitting the gym for about two years but have never actually deadlifted or benched until two or three weeks ago. I always used machines and stuff. I regret not starting sooner. Bench press especially is taking some getting used to. My sets vary widely. Sometimes it's 10,10,8,8, sometimes 10,7,7,7,6 sometimes 10,8,7,6,6 etc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well now I feel bad. I've been hitting the gym for about two years but have never actually deadlifted or benched until two or three weeks ago. I always used machines and stuff. I regret not starting sooner.

I didn't start until I was 29. You're gonna be fine.

Fox318

Really starting to see gains in my squat now.

Doing 5 sets of 5 reps now of 235. Somebody there told me that I was dipping too low and that my knees might be hurting. I've had some knee discomfort recently so maybe that's related?

I don't know.

BumRush

Well now I feel bad. I've been hitting the gym for about two years but have never actually deadlifted or benched until two or three weeks ago. I always used machines and stuff. I regret not starting sooner. Bench press especially is taking some getting used to. My sets vary widely. Sometimes it's 10,10,8,8, sometimes 10,7,7,7,6 sometimes 10,8,7,6,6 etc.

Don't feel bad at all. You're doing great already man. Keep it up.

sphinx

the piano man
So if I weigh 146 and only bench 135 and deadlift 225, that's pretty bad huh?

Not at all, unless you've been lifting for years. I'm guessing you just started, or started recently.

at this point I am going to chime in and ask you kindly BumRush to avoid comments like these.

even for someone who has been benching and deadlifting for years, there is nothing set in stone regarding how much anyone should lift on any of the exercises. every one is different and circusmtances differ on a case by case basis.

I don't mean to start a discussion or get confrontational, I know you are a great guy and I know there is no ill-intent in your post but still, I felt I had to address that point.

BumRush

Not what I meant at all, sphinx. I merely meant that if he was a professional or very seasoned lifter, those numbers should worry him. Sorry if I offended you.

sphinx

the piano man
Not what I meant at all, sphinx. I merely meant that if he was a professional or very seasoned lifter, those numbers should worry him. Sorry if I offended you.

I just think that it is very hard to do that kind of assessment over the internet.

please don't take my post as an aggression.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Used to it or is that normal? Either way, that's great

Honestly, not sure, but I'll take it!

Honestly, I agreed with you. If he'd been training those lifts for years, it would be indicative of an issue. An issue that would need addressing.

Astral

I agree too and I'm no seasoned lifter lol. I don't have any intention of being huge or anything but it makes me wonder what the hell I've been doing all this time if that's all I can do.

sphinx

the piano man
I've been doing OHP and BP for probably 2.5 years.

In the last year, I have been doing very very small progress in terms of strength in those lifts because after a wrist injury that lasted for about a year, my wrist never healed 100%, to this day.

some days I feel a bit of discomfort, those days I will deload and not lift what I should, sometimes I feel ok, those days I will give it a shot at PRs. it may very well be the case, that I will be lifting for years (say 5 or 7) and I will still have piss poor numbers in those lifts because of that fact. In fact I am almost certain it will be like that. I like my job and need my wrists for that and will not risk the slightest.

if someone told me on a forum "Dude, sorry but those numbers are bad for the years you've been lifting", I'd go an explain the injury and case closed, no problem there.

Still, I'd think that said guy shouldn't be doing that kind of assessment over the internet.

I don't mean to annoy BumRush or anyone, sorry if it came out the wrong way.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've been doing OHP and BP for probably 2.5 years.

In the last year, I have been doing very very small progress in terms of strength in those lifts because after a wrist injury that lasted for about a year, my wrist never healed 100%, to this day.

some days I feel a bit of discomfort, those days I will deload and not lift what I should, sometimes I feel ok, those days I will give it a shot at PRs. it may very well be the case, that I will be lifting for years (say 5 or 7) and I will still have piss poor numbers in those lifts because of that fact. In fact I am almost certain it will be like that. I like my job and need my wrists for that and will not risk the slightest.

if someone told me on a forum "Dude, sorry but those numbers are bad for the years you've been lifting", I'd go an explain the injury and case closed, no problem there.

Still, I'd think that said guy shouldn't be doing that kind of assessment over the internet.

I don't mean to annoy BumRush or anyone, sorry if it came out the wrong way.

And that there would be the issue. It would be pretty open and shut, wrist injury answers the question. However, look at it this way. I'm new to the thread, no injuries, no real education just doing what I've been doing. I post my numbers and someone tells me they seem off. That then leads me to read up, watch videos, change my training, and I get a lot better.

This is immensely helpful, and guess what, it's exactly what happened to me when I first stepped foot in this community.

sphinx

the piano man
And that there would be the issue. It would be pretty open and shut, wrist injury answers the question. However, look at it this way. I'm new to the thread, no injuries, no real education just doing what I've been doing. I post my numbers and someone tells me they seem off. That then leads me to read up, watch videos, change my training, and I get a lot better.

This is immensely helpful, and guess what, it's exactly what happened to me when I first stepped foot in this community.

you are right and I agree, I know that BumRush was trying to help that way with his comment, making Astral aware that the numbers would be off for a veteran.

I just have an issue with attaching an specific amount of time to specific goals.

I remember I got into an argument in another thread, (not in a fitness OT), and someone said something like "Anyone who can't bench 150 lbs within a year is doing terribly bad".

The guy said anyone (so I could think elderly, women, etc. if I wanted) but let's assume he meant a healthy man in a reasonable age.

even so, I found the comment rather dangerous because there are healthy men in Latinamerica and Asia that weight 121 that are reading this forum and it's not likely they will bench 30 more pounds (for reps) above their weight within a year and some people could get hurt trying.

anyhow, let's leave it there, I think it's clear enough what everyone means.

BumRush

I can't believe psycho has been riding a bike for 16 or 17 hours straight. I lifted and did 15 minutes on the airdyne and I'm shot.

Teggy

My gym had an assistance machine, which lets you adjust how much weight you're pulling up. You stand on a bar that pushes back against your weight. It was very good for getting me to unassisted pull ups and chins. Good for a deload week too.

Yeah, I was hoping my new gym would have one of those machines but as far as I could see they didn't.

BumRush

I'd be dead, I mean that literally. Some kind of carrion animal would be feasting in my corpse.

Lol. Yeah its not a question. I'm in great shape and I'm not sure I could do any form of high heart-rate cardiovascular activity for 1 hour straight, let alone 24.

I know we focus mostly on lifting and eating in here but this is a hell of an accomplishment for him.

Mission complete. 22 hours and 10 mins or so. Don't feel quite as bad as I thought I might, though I was feeling pretty sick towards the end.

Have pulled or torn the calf muscle in my right leg, but its easing up with the pain killers.

Going to sit here in a daze and try to recover. Will stick the ride online some time later for people to see.

ILoveBish

Damn, date with this chick went really well. Still hyped.

Mission complete. 22 hours and 10 mins or so. Don't feel quite as bad as I thought I might, though I was feeling pretty sick towards the end.

Have pulled or torn the calf muscle in my right leg, but its easing up with the pain killers.

Going to sit here in a daze and try to recover. Will stick the ride online some time later for people to see.

Congrats on not dying!

mdsfx

Yessss! Nicely done! Well under your 24-hour goal. Rest up man.

BumRush

Good job buddy! Massive accomplishment!

Bowser

Just discovered the joy of quest bars.

Anywhere to get good deals on them?

awesome, ordered

fyi, this only works once so don't fuck up your order!

Someone mentioned Quest bars from Jet.com a few days ago. That code still works as well. Just ordered two boxes of Cookies and Cream for $31.54 ($1.31 per bar) with promo code 15BUCKSNOW, free shipping. Just about the best deal you'll get on Quest bars.

ILoveBish

221.4 this morning. Things are getting real. Pretty damn close to the 210s. Still a ways to go till the 190s, but slowly and surely.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Post Fat Gripz chest/bis workout, pre cheat day, lighting abuse pic...

20151011_120342.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom