• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Post Fat Gripz chest/bis workout, pre cheat day, lighting abuse pic...
Well, damn.

As Pam would say:

Y88sPTY.gif

Mask

Haven't posted for a while, but still steadily losing weight, even if I haven't been super strict with the diet!

It's a real motivator to be able to easily do up a belt that barely closed before!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Cooter

If you buy high quality preserves it's heavenly. I think I like it better without bread too Bum.

GrapeApes

Someone mentioned Quest bars from Jet.com a few days ago. That code still works as well. Just ordered two boxes of Cookies and Cream for $31.54 ($1.31 per bar) with promo code 15BUCKSNOW, free shipping. Just about the best deal you'll get on Quest bars.
Yeah people should get on this before the code expires or Jet stops existing. Their business model ain't really that sound. People been abusing the code by just opening new accounts.

So I've noticed that my resting heart rate is around 40-42 the last couple of times I've checked.

Great job! Don't worry about breaking fasts early. I only fast 18 hours plus 4 or 5 days a week. The other days are usually around 12-14. It really doesn't matter IMO.

Fasting is just a tool to make eating at a deficit and life more enjoyable and easier. If you are OCD about it then that's no longer the case. I'd recommend everyone to just relax about your eating windows and fasting. It doen't make or break anything.

Yeah, I was a bit obsessed at first, but I'm now I'm taking it easier.

despire

Did some power cleans for the first time in maybe two years. Form was probably shit but getting there. Came pretty naturarly I think. Need to train these more as I was thinking about making them one of my main lower body movements. Legs are pretty good sized already (despite being weak) so I'm not looking to make huge hypertrophy gains. Power cleans train the whole lower body in a single movement. Also I'd like dat explosive power while not making huge hypertrophy gains.

Traps are toast.

You're scaring me.

No, I mean around 40 - 50

I'm no professional athlete. I do cardio regularly, but nothing extreme.

I might have a condition, but I haven't checked myself.

Some people have resting HR around your range. If you don't feel any symptoms (fatigue, lightheadedness, dizziness, etc) then it shouldn't be anything to be too concerned about. Have a doc check it out just in case though

Fistwell

You're scaring me.

No, I mean around 40 - 50

I'm no professional athlete. I do cardio regularly, but nothing extreme.

I might have a condition, but I haven't checked myself.
Eh, you're probably fine. I get as low as 38 at rest (closer to 45 on average). I do do some cardio as well, but nothing crazy either.

BumRush

Did some power cleans for the first time in maybe two years. Form was probably shit but getting there. Came pretty naturarly I think. Need to train these more as I was thinking about making them one of my main lower body movements. Legs are pretty good sized already (despite being weak) so I'm not looking to make huge hypertrophy gains. Power cleans train the whole lower body in a single movement. Also I'd like dat explosive power while not making huge hypertrophy gains.

Traps are toast.

That a boy. I consider PCs the 5th compound. Such a powerful exercise.

mdsfx

That a boy. I consider PCs the 5th compound. Such a powerful exercise.
I've tried these on several occasions. Pretty sure my form is shit. I never use my legs enough after the initial lift and often end up with a deat lift to 'power' shrug.

I'm no professional athlete and my resting heart rate is 40-50. A very avid runner I work with had a resting heart rate around 35.

Mine's in the 40s, though that's considered pretty low by vaguely normal person standards. I don't really see it getting any lower than that.

BumRush

I've tried these on several occasions. Pretty sure my form is shit. I never use my legs enough after the initial lift and often end up with a deat lift to 'power' shrug.

Post a video, man. Just throw 25s or 35s on there to put some weight on the bar. It's a great exercise.

Teggy

The soreness from just 15 negative pull ups two days ago - triceps, lats, abs...crazy. I didn't realize that exercise worked the muscles so much differently than presses, rows, etc.

Irobot82

Oh man, I've missed two training days last week due to being sick. Normally it doesn't bother me but this one dropped to my lungs and I was wheezing during normal breathing. Having asthma I generally avoid activity in those scenarios. Much better today and ready to get back to it.

BumRush

Oh man, I've missed two training days last week due to being sick. Normally it doesn't bother me but this one dropped to my lungs and I was wheezing during normal breathing. Having asthma I generally avoid activity in those scenarios. Much better today and ready to get back to it.

2 days in the grand scheme of things is nothing! Hit it hard today!

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate you sending me 4 of them. Very nice of you. The best part is... I ACTUALLY LIKE THEM! lol

Nothing will ever beat the mint bars, but I actually give these 2nd place. The only major issue I have with them: they are chewy as hell! #JAWGAINS

Thanks again!
You're crazy, but I'm glad you enjoy them :p
I updated my thread.

I've finally been able to do a push up! lol
Very well done!!
Post Fat Gripz chest/bis workout, pre cheat day, lighting abuse pic...
God daaaaaamn. Them shoulders.

Teggy

Nothing will ever beat the mint bars, but I actually give these 2nd place. The only major issue I have with them: they are chewy as hell! #JAWGAINS

It's been stated before, but 5 (10 max) seconds in the microwave does wonders for a hard Quest bar.

mkenyon

Banned
It's been stated before, but 5 (10 max) seconds in the microwave does wonders for a hard Quest bar.
I dont think that'd work with the Pumpkin ones. They have like a waxy frosting (that I would swear was a Pumpkin Spice Yankee Candle) on the outside.

Cooter

Shoulders make arms look bigger along with chest too I noticed with some people.
My shoulder day is my longest. I superset tris with them. I'm totally a bodybuilder when it comes to shoulders. I'm doing high rep stuff and non strength exercises all day except for when I start the day with OHP.

Salamando

Quick background - 6'2", started at 260, dieted my way to 180. Physique of a marshmallow with 4 pieces of spaghetti in it. Realized I need to start lifting to make my arms bigger and thus look more proportional to my body. My waist to bicep ratio is like 2.8.

I started seeing personal trainer 2x a week last month. I'll be talking with them about what I should be doing on a third (and possibly fourth) day now that my muscles aren't sore for the week afterwards (I haven't used many of them in years). My focus is less on total weight moved, more on adhering to proper form and breathing.

How long should form and consistency be my focus before I really start to push myself?

Anything I can do to maximize arm/leg mass while minimizing belly mass, beyond lifting and a more protein heavy diet with adequate fruits/vegetables?

5 month progress...

Total gained: 14 lbs
Fat gained: 2%
Calorie start: 2800
Calorie end: 3200

This was a good run. I was able to map out a shit ton of food combinations for easier insulin management as a T1 so I can almost put my meds on autopilot.

Started my 4000 calories per day intake yesterday after some maths and so far so good. 2 day glucose split is 80-180 and while most would be happy there - I know I can tighten that up even further. I want to shoot for 100-140. Pretty sure I can have that dialed in by the end of the week with some slight med tweaks but NO extreme highs and definitely NO LOWS. Super happy.

Excited to see what I can do over the next 5 with a far more robust calorie intake.

Also, its silly hard to do Abs with 3k of that 4k in your stomach by lift time :( My stomach isn't used to that much food XD

BumRush

My shoulder day is my longest. I superset tris with them. I'm totally a bodybuilder when it comes to shoulders. I'm doing high rep stuff and non strength exercises all day except for when I start the day with OHP.

It shows dude. Phenomenal shoulders. I've always prided myself on my 'ders, but yours are the stuff of legend

BumRush

Quick background - 6'2", started at 260, dieted my way to 180. Physique of a marshmallow with 4 pieces of spaghetti in it. Realized I need to start lifting to make my arms bigger and thus look more proportional to my body. My waist to bicep ratio is like 2.8.

I started seeing personal trainer 2x a week last month. I'll be talking with them about what I should be doing on a third (and possibly fourth) day now that my muscles aren't sore for the week afterwards (I haven't used many of them in years). My focus is less on total weight moved, more on adhering to proper form and breathing.

How long should form and consistency be my focus before I really start to push myself?

Anything I can do to maximize arm/leg mass while minimizing belly mass, beyond lifting and a more protein heavy diet with adequate fruits/vegetables?

How long should form and consistency be my focus before I really start to push myself? You're going to hate the answer to this, but never. Form and consistency are the two most important things for any level. Look at the picture Cooter posted a page back. He pushes himself, sure, but he has perfect form and puts an emphasis on getting his ass in the gym 6-7 days a week. Are you doing a program in the OP? If you are, the weight progression they provide is more than enough

Anything I can do to maximize arm/leg mass while minimizing belly mass, beyond lifting and a more protein heavy diet with adequate fruits/vegetables? Are you doing compounds? What assistance lifts are you doing? What do you do for cardio - steady state, HIIT, sprints?

Salamando

How long should form and consistency be my focus before I really start to push myself? You're going to hate the answer to this, but never. Form and consistency are the two most important things for any level. Look at the picture Cooter posted a page back. He pushes himself, sure, but he has perfect form and puts an emphasis on getting his ass in the gym 6-7 days a week. Are you doing a program in the OP? If you are, the weight progression they provide is more than enough

Anything I can do to maximize arm/leg mass while minimizing belly mass, beyond lifting and a more protein heavy diet with adequate fruits/vegetables? Are you doing compounds? What assistance lifts are you doing? What do you do for cardio - steady state, HIIT, sprints?

Are you doing a program in the OP? Not currently, and reading through one of them is what prompted the question. The Candito Linear Program pdf said "If you have absolutely no experience with lifting in general, then you may want to give yourself 6 months or so to lift with lighter weights. You will need to know how to perform the lifts safely with a full range of motion prior to this." I know I should never sacrifice form for extra weight, but should I really spend six months on lighter weights before I start the program?

Are you doing compounds? What assistance lifts are you doing? What do you do for cardio - steady state, HIIT, sprints? Compounds - bench press, squat, upright and bentover rows. Nothing in terms of assistance. For cardio, I sprint for 10 minutes before each workout to get the heart rate up, and then on another day I do about 40 minutes HIIT. Typically running fast for 90 seconds, resting for 60.

ILoveBish

Failed at the gym today. It was squats, start of an all new 5s week. I got 5x240, 5x275 and 3x310 then had to rack it, rest for a minute and then do the remaining 2x310. Finished up with a 6x240. Really disappointed, but I've only slept 3 hours, dealing with texting this awesome girl all the time, and finding places to take her out to has been stressful. I've not been out to eat in years, so I've been scrambling to find nice places to take her.

I'm going to just keep going and see how the rest of the week shapes up after some more sleep. At least I hit every rep on accessories at increased weights, so that was good.

BumRush

Are you doing a program in the OP? Not currently, and reading through one of them is what prompted the question. The Candito Linear Program pdf said "If you have absolutely no experience with lifting in general, then you may want to give yourself 6 months or so to lift with lighter weights. You will need to know how to perform the lifts safely with a full range of motion prior to this." I know I should never sacrifice form for extra weight, but should I really spend six months on lighter weights before I start the program?

Are you doing compounds? What assistance lifts are you doing? What do you do for cardio - steady state, HIIT, sprints? Compounds - bench press, squat, upright and bentover rows. Nothing in terms of assistance. For cardio, I sprint for 10 minutes before each workout to get the heart rate up, and then on another day I do about 40 minutes HIIT. Typically running fast for 90 seconds, resting for 60.

In short, no. If you do 5/3/1, SS, Stronglifts 5X5, etc. they encourage you to start with anywhere from, say, "the bar" to 50% of your 5RM, depending on how long you've been lifting. I'd err on the side of the bar because (TRUST ME) the weight gets heavy faster than you'd think. 6 months in, you won't be complaining about everything being too light.

In regards to compounds, the big 4 are squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press (although I consider the power clean to be just as essential). If you have the means, you should be doing these with a bar.

Assistance lifts are important to a). aid in progressing your compounds and b). for improving weak areas, strength-wise and aesthetically. For instance, you want to grow your arms. In addition to the compounds, you should be doing pull-ups, biceps curls, triceps extensions, etc. Take a look at the OP again and pick a program you want to do...then come back and we'll answer any other questions you have.

Your cardio-game seems good! HIIT and sprints are the best way to burn fat quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom