• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

I've given up completely on Barbell rows and moved to machines.

I feel like no matter what I do my form is shit.
Nooooooooooooo

Barbell rows are the best! Just give it time. Record yourself or use a mirror, then make adjustments.

Fox318

Nooooooooooooo

Barbell rows are the best! Just give it time. Record yourself or use a mirror, then make adjustments.

every person and everything I have read have game me different angles of the back and arm placment.

I get that I'm trying to squeeze a tennis ball with my back but I feel like I get to a point where I'm just not able to maintain balance or back stiffness.

BumRush

I've given up completely on Barbell rows and moved to machines.

I feel like no matter what I do my form is shit.

I agree with Mike. Don't give up on them. Amazing exercise.

Video yourself...

P.s. I do barbell rows in the 8-12 range. It's an accessory.

mdsfx

every person and everything I have read have game me different angles of the back and arm placment.

I get that I'm trying to squeeze a tennis ball with my back but I feel like I get to a point where I'm just not able to maintain balance or back stiffness.
Maybe you are lifting to heavy? Why not try less weight and see how it goes, then incrementally add each week?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Start on the floor and end on the floor. It was a game changer for me regarding BB rows.

Fox318

Well next time I need to do barbell rows would be on Thursday.

All I know is I used a machine as a replacement because somebody was using the barbell area to do upside down pull ups other crap and my arms and shoulders felt way more sore the next day than any other barbell row day I have done.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I go back and forth on barbell rows. It seemed like my deadlift was increasing faster when I was doing them, but I'd rather do power cleans more often.

this is how we abuse lighting, friends

Rs8xyF8.jpg

Cooter

Your delts have went on a long journey and returned massive my friend. Truly impressive FE!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Can't tell if the weight is getting heavy or if I'm just running out of energy. Anyway I couldn't get the min 5 reps on the last set during the 1st week of this 5/3/1 cycle for OHP and deadlift day :(.

despire

Cut is progressing nicely. I can already see all my abdominals without flexing in the right light. I have also kept all my strength and muscle. Also I'm really enjoying this. I'm usually full and satisfied after eating and I'm eating delicious food. Previous times I've eatend "good food" but it has been bland and hasn't satisfied in any way. Chicken breast etc get old really quick. Now I'm enjoying the process and I'm confident there won't be any rebound like before.

I've also eaten a lot less protein than normal. 130-140g per day which means I have a lot of room for carbs and fat. Good for hormonal function to have enough of both carbs and fat so it makes sense not to over eat protein.

Cooter

Same. I don't cheat on them like I would doing them conventionally.
For sure. Mine are pretty damn strict but I use them as an accessory like Bum mentioned earlier and stay in the 8-12 range. I know Brolic loads the bar up and uses some body english to get them up. I can see the benefits there too.

Cooter

Hmm, I've been at 1350 calories past 2 days. Still not hungry. Up 1.2lbs but got bad sleep. I dunno anymore lol, tired of eating.
10/14/15- the day Bish finally made the decision to pull away from the human race and stop eating.

despire

Hmm, I've been at 1350 calories past 2 days. Still not hungry. Up 1.2lbs but got bad sleep. I dunno anymore lol, tired of eating.

You ever think about coming back from keto to a more "normal diet"? I'm talking about keeping the calories in check but eating a lot more carbs. I'm just going on a limb here but it seems you might benefit from actually eating carbs again since you never refeed. You can't be on a keto forever anyway imo. Noticing you have more and more problems with lack of sleep, hunger and lately strentgh. Dunno, just my two cents..

For example lack of carbs raises cortisol which makes it harder to sleep and decreases your T. Don't know what happens if you keep at it for years.

Cooter

You ever think about coming back from keto to a more "normal diet"? I'm talking about keeping the calories in check but eating a lot more carbs. I'm just going on a limb here but it seems you might benefit from actually eating carbs again since you never refeed. You can't be on a keto forever anyway imo. Noticing you have more and more problems with lack of sleep, hunger and lately strentgh. Dunno, just my two cents..

For example lack of carbs raises cortisol which makes it harder to sleep and decreases your T. Don't know what happens if you keep at it for years.
The sight of a slice of bread sends Bish into the dry heaves. I already know his response to this.

SeanR1221

Starting this week I'm going to start rebuilding my shoulder slowly. Not jumping into anything heavy, just going to strengthen the area around it and see how it feels. I'd rather have a slow build up and recover then keep trying to go heavy and fucking it up again.

Cooter

Starting this week I'm going to start rebuilding my shoulder slowly. Not jumping into anything heavy, just going to strengthen the area around it and see how it feels. I'd rather have a slow build up and recover then keep trying to go heavy and fucking it up again.
Sounds great and a smart move. How's the cut going? You have to be close to the 180s by now.

SeanR1221

Sounds great and a smart move. How's the cut going? You have to be close to the 180s by now.

Im stuck bouncing between 191 and 193 for two weeks now...which usually means I'll wake up at 189-190 at some point next week :p

Hopefully its one more month of loss then Im riding out maintenance for a couple months and Im not sure where to go from there. I've been slowly losing for 8 months now (with two small maintenance phases thrown in there for good measure). It's been a crazy ride but Im definitely hitting that last grind, you know?

Compliments/comments still coming in on a consistent basis. I feel like at least one person in the gym/in my social circle says something now each week. My 36s are loose on me. My pants belts, which didn't fit before, are all now on the last holes, and my face is noticeably thinner. I also feel like I can dress up a bit more. I look better in button downs, in formalwear, etc.

All that and I still feel soft and Un swole hah. I see myself as small and weak now.

Strength dropped a bit in both squats and deads, but nothing major. 30-40 lbs in each, but Im also down almost 40 lbs. Squats Im also doing high bar now which feels amazing on my back but obviously I can't push as much weight.

ILoveBish

10/14/15- the day Bish finally made the decision to pull away from the human race and stop eating.

If I wasn't dating, it might have become a real option.

My sleep issues have been ongoing since I was very young. They aren't related to keto. And not sure why I'd go back to carbs honestly, I'm fully adapted so there is actually no benefit at all to carb loading. And I can assure you I have no lack of T lol. I'm still plenty strong but just not eating enough anymore.

The reality is, knowing the damage carbs do to the body, I can't go back to it knowing how it's going to affect me long term.

The site of a slice of bread sends Bish into the dry heaves. I already know his response to this.

You can read me like a book. I literally look at pics of all types of foods, hoping something will make me want to crave it. But it just doesn't happen. All those carby foods look like stuff that is going to damage me long term, so nothing looks appealing.

I dunno, I've been leaning out so much, feel so terrific health wise, just loving how things are going. I just kinda don't like eating anymore. It sounds weird I know. And I knows it's what's affecting me at the gym.

Azulsky

It's okay I will make up for ILB lack of eating.

Went to buddy's wedding this past weekend.
Ate ridiculous amounts of food that was completely off my dietary guidelines, lost my 450 day MFP streak, drank way too much, and came home 2lbs lighter.

I chalk it up to pregame nerves regarding giving my toast.

Cooter

Im stuck bouncing between 191 and 193 for two weeks now...which usually means I'll wake up at 189-190 at some point next week :p

Hopefully its one more month of loss then Im riding out maintenance for a couple months and Im not sure where to go from there. I've been slowly losing for 8 months now (with two small maintenance phases thrown in there for good measure). It's been a crazy ride but Im definitely hitting that last grind, you know?

Compliments/comments still coming in on a consistent basis. I feel like at least one person in the gym/in my social circle says something now each week. My 36s are loose on me. My pants belts, which didn't fit before, are all now on the last holes, and my face is noticeably thinner. I also feel like I can dress up a bit more. I look better in button downs, in formalwear, etc.

All that and I still feel soft and Un swole hah. I see myself as small and weak now.

Strength dropped a bit in both squats and deads, but nothing major. 30-40 lbs in each, but Im also down almost 40 lbs. Squats Im also doing high bar now which feels amazing on my back but obviously I can't push as much weight.

It happens. Glad to hear you're doing well. You're not small or weak either. Don't let those mind games get to you.

SeanR1221

It happens. Glad to hear you're doing well. You're not small or weak either. Don't let those mind games get to you.

Perception is a bitch. Reality is my body used to look like it was built on pudding. I may have been bigger but to your average person I just looked fat. Much happier now especially with my face

Cooter

Perception is a bitch. Reality is my body used to look like it was built on pudding. I may have been bigger but to your average person I just looked fat. Much happier now especially with my face
Face gainz are severely underrated!

mkenyon

Banned
Well next time I need to do barbell rows would be on Thursday.

All I know is I used a machine as a replacement because somebody was using the barbell area to do upside down pull ups other crap and my arms and shoulders felt way more sore the next day than any other barbell row day I have done.
Soreness isn't a measure of how hard you worked something, especially when you're doing something new.

If you repeat an exercise, you basically become immune to the soreness. Switch it up to stuff that's even slightly different, and you get it again.

*edit* whoops double post, sorry.

ILoveBish

Good day at the gym today even at the huge deficit. Bench with 5x165, 5x190 and 5x210. Finished with a 10x165. Had no time for accessories so just did compound and bounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom