• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've obviously not been posting enough side selfies from 2 feet away and with my head cut off!

Fox318

Soreness isn't a measure of how hard you worked something, especially when you're doing something new.

If you repeat an exercise, you basically become immune to the soreness. Switch it up to stuff that's even slightly different, and you get it again.

*edit* whoops double post, sorry.

Yeah my workouts right now go like this

Day 1

30-40 min of on off Running to Walking on a treadmill
5 sets of 5 Barbell Squat (Not including warmup sets)
5 sets of 5 Bench Press (Not including warmup sets)
5 sets of 5 Barbell Row (Not including warmup sets)

Day 2
3 sets of 10 Dumbell Curls
3 sets of 10 Sitting Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 10 EZ-Curl Bar Skull Crushers
3 sets of 10 Machine Deltoid Raise

Day 3
5 sets of 5 Military Press (Not including warmup sets)
1 sets of 5 Barbell Deadlift (Not including warmup sets)

Day 4
3 sets of 10 Cable Crunches
3 sets Standing Calf Raises
3 Sets of 10 Leg Extension
3 Sets of 10 Leg Curl
3 Sets of 10 Barbell Drag Curl

Day 5

Day 6
3 Sets until unable to finish Pushups
3 Sets until unable to finish Pullups
3 Sets until unable to finish Planks
3 Sets until unable to finish Hanging Leg Raise
3 Sets until unable to finish Air Bike
3 Lying Leg Raise sets where I spell the Alphabet with my feet. (I try to go as slow as possible with this)

Day 7 (Rest or back to the Barbell workout alternating depending on which one I did last)

mdsfx

What the... Lol

I don't post my face for two reasons:

1. I'm a really average looking guy
2. It's a little too personal of a post for me

Didnt realise GAF has a fitness section! Just a quick question , how long do you guys usually bulk for ? I bulked for about 4 months but as a former fatty i started a small cut on the 1st as the loss of definition got to me. Only put on 6.5kg ~13ish lb.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What the... Lol

I don't post my face for two reasons:

2. It's a little too personal of a post for me

Also, Cooter's latest photo made me feel like a tiny, pathetic weakling, lol.

mkenyon

Banned

uHZwfBJ.png

3wZRsEa.png

yasure

BumRush

Mkenyon, if we all post one pic, could you arrange us into a sweet 16 styled bracket and video tape your wife choosing winners?

Cooter

Mkenyon, if we all post one pic, could you arrange us into a sweet 16 styled bracket and video tape your wife choosing winners?
Now we're talking! Give me a week Mkenyon. Don't start the tourney this weekend or anything.

BumRush

Now we're talking! Give me a week Mkenyon. Don't start the tourney this weekend or anything.

Lol let the games begin.

On topic. I've been squatting barefoot lately and dear God, it's like cheat mode. 225x15 at the end of my set felt too easy. Also, ever since I started using fat gripz a couple of months ago my grip strength has improved a ton. Highly recommended for anyone that is struggling with DL gains or anyone that wants arms like Cooter or FE.

ILoveBish

I'm just not sure how the fat gripz help with grip. Aren't you supposed to get your raw grip better? I dunno, I've yet to have grip issues at all using liquid chalk. But I have huge hands, they're absurd.

BumRush

I'm just not sure how the fat gripz help with grip. Aren't you supposed to get your raw grip better? I dunno, I've yet to have grip issues at all using liquid chalk. But I have huge hands, they're absurd.

They strengthen your grip long term. The more I use them, the stronger my forearms get and my hands are able to grip better. I don't use them as wraps or anything...more as a way to improve my raw grip strength

Cooter

They strengthen your grip long term. The more I use them, the stronger my forearms get and my hands are able to grip better. I don't use them as wraps or anything...more as a way to improve my raw grip strength
Yes. I have just started using them and only for BB curls and bench but it is a different feeling. Hard to explain. Curls are obviously tougher but even BB bench and DB incline feels amazing. They definitely destroy your forearms. I tried one rep of a DL with them on and I damn near failed. It was insanely difficult. For the record I own the red extra fat ones.

BumRush

Yes. I have just started using them and only for BB curls and bench but it is a different feeling. Hard to explain. Curls are obviously tougher but even BB bench and DB incline feels amazing. They definitely destroy your forearms. I tried one rep of a DL with them on and I damn near failed. It was insanely difficult. For the record I own the red extra fat ones.

Yup. Try high rep pendlays WITH fat gripz. They're bonkers.

despire

If I wasn't dating, it might have become a real option.

My sleep issues have been ongoing since I was very young. They aren't related to keto. And not sure why I'd go back to carbs honestly, I'm fully adapted so there is actually no benefit at all to carb loading. And I can assure you I have no lack of T lol. I'm still plenty strong but just not eating enough anymore.

The reality is, knowing the damage carbs do to the body, I can't go back to it knowing how it's going to affect me long term.

You can read me like a book. I literally look at pics of all types of foods, hoping something will make me want to crave it. But it just doesn't happen. All those carby foods look like stuff that is going to damage me long term, so nothing looks appealing.

I dunno, I've been leaning out so much, feel so terrific health wise, just loving how things are going. I just kinda don't like eating anymore. It sounds weird I know. And I knows it's what's affecting me at the gym.

I would seriously want to know where you get your muscle glycogen. All I've ever read says that you need it to lift and you need carbs to get it. Basically all keto diets meant for active people incorporate some kind of refeed if I'm not mistaken. Either you binge on carbs without telling us or you've stumbled upon something inhumane :p seriously though, could it be the glycerol released from bodyfat that gets packed in there as well as being used by your brain? But if it's that then this won't probably last when you become lean.

despire

Yeah my workouts right now go like this

Day 1

Day 2
3 sets of 10 Dumbell Curls
3 sets of 10 Sitting Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 10 EZ-Curl Bar Skull Crushers
3 sets of 10 Machine Deltoid Raise

Day 3

Day 4
3 sets of 10 Cable Crunches
3 sets Standing Calf Raises
3 Sets of 10 Leg Extension
3 Sets of 10 Leg Curl
3 Sets of 10 Barbell Drag Curl

Day 5

Day 6
3 Sets until unable to finish Pushups
3 Sets until unable to finish Pullups
3 Sets until unable to finish Planks
3 Sets until unable to finish Hanging Leg Raise
3 Sets until unable to finish Air Bike
3 Lying Leg Raise sets where I spell the Alphabet with my feet. (I try to go as slow as possible with this)

Day 7 (Rest or back to the Barbell workout alternating depending on which one I did last)

First of all, are you on anabolic steroids? If not then that is waay too much for a human being. Where did you get that program?

1) You have a pressing movement 5-6 days a week, back to back
2) You squat 5x5 3-4 times a week AND then do other leg isolation between these days.
3) You have some kind of pulling movement everyday
Etc..

You hit your muscles too often, basically every day. And most of the movements are heavy compounds and therefore very taxing. You are not getting any rest. You need to drop like half of this stuff if you want to get somewhere. Less is more here. You grow when you rest.

ILoveBish

Date tonight went amazing. Things are progressing very well. I had the bacon wrapped scallops, DAMN, so good.

Very interesting. Might be on the lookout once i see a deal on them, maybe during black friday?

I would seriously want to know where you get your muscle glycogen. All I've ever read says that you need it to lift and you need carbs to get it. Basically all keto diets meant for active people incorporate some kind of refeed if I'm not mistaken. Either you binge on carbs without telling us or you've stumbled upon something inhumane :p seriously though, could it be the glycerol released from bodyfat that gets packed in there as well as being used by your brain? But if it's that then this won't probably last when you become lean.

Gluconeogenesis. When your body needs carbs for anything, it takes the fat stored and converts it into whatever it needs. I do no carb refeeds, i always am honest with what i eat and go through. So basically once you're 100% keto adapted, the body takes your fat, turns it into whatever the body is looking for, at the exact amount, and then burns off more. Its absolutely amazing.

But yes, once you get to the sub-10%, it is much more difficult to have the body let go of the fat stores obviously. At that point TKD is much more of a realistic option. I just want to get to that point in the first place, then i'll worry about it.

despire

Gluconeogenesis. When your body needs carbs for anything, it takes the fat stored and converts it into whatever it needs. I do no carb refeeds, i always am honest with what i eat and go through. So basically once you're 100% keto adapted, the body takes your fat, turns it into whatever the body is looking for, at the exact amount, and then burns off more. Its absolutely amazing.

But yes, once you get to the sub-10%, it is much more difficult to have the body let go of the fat stores obviously. At that point TKD is much more of a realistic option. I just want to get to that point in the first place, then i'll worry about it.

Yeah that's what I thought.

And I'm not saying you do one thing and saying the other. Just joking ;)

entremet

First of all, are you on anabolic steroids? If not then that is waay too much for a human being. Where did you get that program?

2) You squat 5x5 3-4 times a week AND then do other leg isolation between these days.
Etc..

You hit your muscles too often, basically every day. And most of the movements are heavy compounds and therefore very taxing. You are not getting any rest. You need to drop like half of this stuff if you want to get somewhere. Less is more here. You grow when you rest.
That and run after lifting. Better results for both.

Looks like he's doing Strong Lifts with his added stuff on the rest days.

Fox, keep the compounds, run after you do them, add arm work after each SL workout day, a tricep and biceps exercise at 3x10 and rest at least a day.

Drop all the isolation crap on the rest days. The compounds plus arm work will be enough.

That's it. I simplified your workout. Once you build a base of strength, start tinkering with more isolation work--shoulders, upper chest, so on.

You're doing full body, you need to recover.

JoeNut

I'm slowly getting into 5x5 stronglifts but kind of adapting it, the bent over rows is something i hadn't done before but really enjoyed last night, I also do a lot of pull ups though because again, i enjoy doing them, i think that's kind of the key, but also a reason why i just don't do cardio hardly at all, it's really hard to enjoy it.

Also thanks for tips on DOMS after leg day, i did squats 3 times last week and ached less than when i only did one leg day session, weird huh.

Irobot82

Well I accomplished the 5x5 OHP @ 85lb BumRush, sorry no video though, I was halfway into my workout and realized I didn't bring a camera and didn't want to go get it :p

I am starting to my maybe the lack of calories is affecting me the most. I'm still trying to lose weight so I guess I have to expect my progress will start slowing down especially on my weakest lifts.

Fox318

Etc..

lol no I'm not on anything I just want to get back into shape. Its the stronglifts program (although I almost picked up Starting Strength as a replacement. I just wanted to do more as I really felt the compound exercises didn't really target my core and upper body enough. I've definitely noticed strength gains. I mean if my body tells me no I do't do anything but for the most part I guess I felt I needed to do more.
That and run after lifting. Better results for both.

Looks like he's doing Strong Lifts with his added stuff on the rest days.

Fox, keep the compounds, run after you do them, add arm work after each SL workout day, a tricep and biceps exercise at 3x10 and rest at least a day.

Drop all the isolation crap on the rest days. The compounds plus arm work will be enough.

That's it. I simplified your workout. Once you build a base of strength, start tinkering with more isolation work--shoulders, upper chest, so on.

You're doing full body, you need to recover.
Is that really enough arm and core stuff? Same could be said for calf stuff.

BumRush

Well I accomplished the 5x5 OHP @ 85lb BumRush, sorry no video though, I was halfway into my workout and realized I didn't bring a camera and didn't want to go get it :p

I am starting to my maybe the lack of calories is affecting me the most. I'm still trying to lose weight so I guess I have to expect my progress will start slowing down especially on my weakest lifts.

Nice work man!

Definitely, your lack of calories will have an impact. How much of a deficit are you at vs. suggested maintenance?

Yeah, you're relatively new to lifting, correct? Focus on your compounds and cardio and you'll be fine. Sprinkle in a little core and arm work if you want but 7 days of what you posted is way too much.

lol no I'm not on anything I just want to get back into shape. Its the stronglifts program (although I almost picked up Starting Strength as a replacement. I just wanted to do more as I really felt the compound exercises didn't really target my core and upper body enough. I've definitely noticed strength gains. I mean if my body tells me no I do't do anything but for the most part I guess I felt I needed to do more.

Are you starting light? Trust them(FitGAF). The SS program will kick your ass sooner rather than later.

Compounds + Cardio will help you gain strength gains fairly quickly.

3 days of 5x5 plus cardio and core work is more than plenty.

Fox318

I mean I was in the gym almost every day for a good 4 months in the begining of the year then I had to take some time off. I've been going 6 days a week for a good month now that I'm getting back on track.

These aren't one rep max but I guess here were my last numbers for the 5x5

195 bench
250 deadlift
235 squat
135 Military press
125 Barbell row

I tend not to go crazy on the bench because I usually don't have a spotter.

despire

If you feel that you don't get enough upper body work then just add a few sets of triceps extensions and curls after the SL5x5 workout. Drop all the other stuff, especially lifting during rest days. It's not gonna work for more than a week or two. Just follow the program as it's laid out or pick one from the OP.

Irobot82

Nice work man!

Definitely, your lack of calories will have an impact. How much of a deficit are you at vs. suggested maintenance?

As a rough guess http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ says about 2500, with me assuming about a 25% body fat. That would be way off, I have a gut and whatnot but not fat elsewhere. I'll use my scale tonight to get a slightly more realistic measurement. I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories a day. Now that I am adapted to keto and dropped off my water weight, I'm losing about 1.5lbs a week.

I mean I was in the gym almost every day for a good 4 months in the begining of the year then I had to take some time off. I've been going 6 days a week for a good month now that I'm getting back on track.

These aren't one rep max but I guess here were my last numbers for the 5x5

195 bench
250 deadlift
235 squat
135 Military press
125 Barbell row

I tend not to go crazy on the bench because I usually don't have a spotter.

Doesn Stronglifts and SS require taking a day off between workouts?

BumRush

As a rough guess http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ says about 2500, with me assuming about a 25% body fat. That would be way off, I have a gut and whatnot but not fat elsewhere. I'll use my scale tonight to get a slightly more realistic measurement. I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories a day. Now that I am adapted to keto and dropped off my water weight, I'm losing about 1.5lbs a week.

Oh okay...you're eating at a 700 calorie deficit and not touching carbs? Definitely expect strength to fall off. You're losing weight though, which is important to you.

Irobot82

Oh okay...you're eating at a 700 calorie deficit and not touching carbs? Definitely expect strength to fall off. You're losing weight though, which is important to you.

Yeah I'm in a weightloss competition until Dec 7th, then I'll give myself some cheat days, but mu ultimate goal is to get down to 180, see what I look like there, then decide if I can move down to 170 and/or start building strength.

Duuuude holy shit. You've made some crazy progress. Looking ripped. Awesome!

Dude you look amazing...it's not the lighting. Great work.

Can I select you and Cooter as tag-team partners in [insert popular fighting franchise]?

uNNX7D

Your delts have went on a long journey and returned massive my friend. Truly impressive FE!

You doing pendlay rows?

Looking great FE.

Yes sir. I used to rotate them but now I only do Pendlays.

I love pendlays, really good for explosive energy.

FE looking beast as usual, good job man.

Wow, you look way bigger than I remember. :eek:!

I still can't gain weight. XD....:(

Both FE and MDSFX with 3D delts. I'm jelly

holy crap, starting to get cut. For a while I though I may start looking like a mini FE but not anymore

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

tyty all very much for the kind words. I am hovering around 225-230 lbs, more so towards 230 haha. Prolly start up a mini cut sometime in the next week. Let me go crazy this weekend and then strict diet for the next 3 or so weeks.

Cooter

After Sunday cheat night I followed it up with a Monday 4500, Tuesday 4000, and 3000 yesterday. Time to string together some strict 2000ish days. Really enjoyed the increased strength this week though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom