• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz

Never say never. When I was younger I couldn't do a single pull up. Lat pulldown and/or assisted pull ups are a great way to get there. At least they were for me. I would either use bands or just put a bench underneath me so I could push myself up slightly with my feet.

got there with a mix of banded pull-ups

;) still using bands for volume too, but I miss the full ROM assistance the gravitron provided.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I envy you guys who are able to do 10 nonweighted pull ups like it's nothing. About a year ago I wasn't able to do a single pull up but I bought one of those door frame bars and have worked up to being able to do 5 with all my effort. Been stuck on that for a while though, goal is to hit 10 before the end of the year.

Weighted pull-ups? Yes please. Love doing these. They make body weight pull ups seem so much easier.

Ugh:

"Why don't you just use the lat pull-down machine?"

Can't look like a badass with chains around your neck and plates between your legs on lat pull downs eh? :p

sphinx

the piano man
I stopped taking any commercial pre-workout because I used to crash hard half way through a workout. They're fine if you're only going for say, 30 mins to 45 mins, but not great for longer.

...and as immune as you think you are to coffee (I'm the same), try a quad espresso (or hell, 6x if you're massively immune) about 10 mins before. I really, really doubt you wont get some sort of kick out of it. That's what I do if I'm not feeling up to it, and it's yet to fail.

yeah I am sure I'd get a kick from a double or triple espresso but I'd rather not go that path :/ I drink way too much coffee as is, I don't want to develop even more tolerance.

plus, I don't want to go to the toilette every 20 minutes (being old sucks)

mdsfx said:
They still scare me with the tingling/itchy sensations, but they do work. Some people can get a bit light headed though.

I have only tried C4 and Optimum Nutrition PRE. I prefer C4 since it doesn't have pepper extract which takes a small toll on my stomach. I think Musclepharm Assault is popular, but I've never tried it.

I once got a free sample of a pre-workout and I got the tingling and itchy sensation, I was like in a rush to finish everything. Overall wasn't happy with how I felt either.

finding one that puts me just about in that sweet spot would be the best.

Weighted pull-ups? Yes please. Love doing these. They make body weight pull ups seem so much easier.

Ugh:

words can't express how superior are pull-ups to the machine, there's no comparison.

Your complete arms explode, your lats explode. in fact one of the best "best bang for your buck" exercises ever

Faiz said:
Looking good. I envy everyone able to do weighted pull-ups. Lats have always been my weakest muscle group. I was that kid in elementary school who couldn't do a single chinup, much less a pull-up. Best I can manage now is still just a couple body weight pull-ups, or 4-5 bw chin-ups; got there with a mix of banded pull-ups, negatives, and when I was going to a commercial gym, a gravitron. Weighted with a plate is a goal but given the history not sure I'll ever get there.

I am already at 15 unassisted and should have started adding weight a while ago but I am scared of using a chain and plate, I am considering buying that 12 lbs vest I once saw in the sport shop, I have hope that it will work as intended.

Pizoxuat

So I've been keeping up with the weight training thing for about 15 months now. I love it. But I have a problem. Right before I am about to hit parallel on a squat, I feel a popping sensation in my right hamstring, which sends me forward, which turns my squat into a squatmorning. It doesn't hurt, which is why it has taken me so long to figure out why my squats are so horrible. And I've been stalled on them for ages, no amount of warming up avoids the pop.

Does anyone have any insight on some assistance moves I could do to overcome this?

entremet

So I've been keeping up with the weight training thing for about 15 months now. I love it. But I have a problem. Right before I am about to hit parallel on a squat, I feel a popping sensation in my right hamstring, which sends me forward, which turns my squat into a squatmorning. It doesn't hurt, which is why it has taken me so long to figure out why my squats are so horrible. And I've been stalled on them for ages, no amount of warming up avoids the pop.

Does anyone have any insight on some assistance moves I could do to overcome this?

I'd recommend seeing a doctor or physical therapist. Doesn't sound normal.

BlackJace

The muscle on my body is really lean and tight, but it's not...growing, so I assume that's where bulking comes in. I feel stronger and have more of a nice mold, but I'm still skinny by most standards, especially if you judge by my arms.

Eating a lot is just so damn hard for me.

Depends how you do it. I could eat 5k calories a day without blinking... but it would be complete and utter crap. I find eating healthily and hitting my targets to be quite difficult.

Still, you could always go calorie dense. Stuff like cheeses and fatty meats.

entremet

The muscle on my body is really lean and tight, but it's not...growing, so I assume that's where bulking comes in. I feel stronger and have more of a nice mold, but I'm still skinny by most standards, especially if you judge by my arms.

Drinking calories helps if you fell bloated for eating solids. If you can tolerate dairy, milk is fantastic.

You could also dirty bulk. Pizza has tons of calories for example and most fast food.

You can get a 2000 calorie burrito at Chipotle pretty easily.

mdsfx

You could also dirty bulk. Pizza has tons of calories for example and most fast food.

I'm not sure what that really gets you though besides excess fat. Does that work for some people? I would imagine you would be sacrificing more muscle gain that way in favor of just packing on weight.

Bowser

For bulking, drinkable calories really do help fill you up without being "hard to stomach". A 32oz Gatorade nets you 50-55g of carbs by itself (I assume most people hit their protein targets pretty easily on a bulk and are trying to get more carbs without eating too much fat on a bulk).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Did someone turn on the weighted pull-up signal?On my way Commissioner Gordon!

Ugh:

Looks great mdsfx! I begin every heavy back day with them. They're probably the one exercise I excel at most.

My routine looks like this at the moment but will probably change when I lose this last 10 pounds.

30x10
40x10
50x8
75x6
95x4-5

So physically taxing but so rewarding.

BumRush

Do you lift heavy?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thoughts on Corn for bulking? Lots of calories but unfortunately a lot of carbs too, yet it seems to be the one food I can eat no matter how full I feel.

BlackJace

Drinking calories helps if you fell bloated for eating solids. If you can tolerate dairy, milk is fantastic.

Ya, I've been looking at supplementing with liquids when I can. Milk's never been a beverage for me though...
Do you lift heavy?

Not sure? I'm only 143lbs, so I try to lift a little more than half of that when I bench.

BumRush

Ya, I've been looking at supplementing with liquids when I can. Milk's never been a beverage for me though...

Not sure? I'm only 143lbs, so I try to lift a little more than half of that when I bench.

So, yeah, in addition to eating more, you'll need to bench more than ~70 lbs (for instance) to see growth. The goal is to break down the muscle, because (long story short) when it repairs it grows, and to do this you need to tax the muscle. Have you explored 531 or SS from the OP?

mdsfx

Looks great mdsfx! I begin every heavy back day with them. They're probably the one exercise I excel at most.

My routine looks like this at the moment but will probably change when I lose this last 10 pounds.

30x10
40x10
50x8
75x6
95x4-5

Duuuude, those are crazy numbers! Awesome work.

BlackJace

So, yeah, in addition to eating more, you'll need to bench more than ~70 lbs (for instance) to see growth. The goal is to break down the muscle, because (long story short) when it repairs it grows, and to do this you need to tax the muscle. Have you explored 531 or SS from the OP?

531, I believe. I think you're right in that I should be going up, even though it'll be more taxing on me.

BumRush

30x10
40x10
50x8
75x6
95x4-5

Cooter, you have the most impressive weighted pull up resume of anyone I know.

531, I believe. I think you're right in that I should be going up, even though it'll be more taxing on me.

It's supposed to be more taxing. As soon as it becomes easy, it really isn't doing much for you!

mdsfx

OK, I think I've gotten to a point where I realize I'm trying to achieve something I can't. I don't have the muscle mass to match the people with the super cut cores that I'm trying to achieve, especially due to having a slight build (narrow shoulders).

I'm starting to wonder if I'm kind of spinning my wheels on this cut and need to start bulking. Like this guy. Looks awesome. I want to get there badly, but I think he's got more mass. I don't know anymore.

Help?

Azulsky

Down to 236.4 this morning, all the bloat is almost gone. Feel pretty good today too.

Soon....

Great work, how low you going?

Im currently considering stopping at 230 (6'5") then moving onto a bulk to rebuild. Should be easier to cut back later if I have more lean mass and eat properly this time round.

Cooter

Duuuude, those are crazy numbers! Awesome work.

Cooter, you have the most impressive weighted pull up resume of anyone I know.

Thanks guys. Pull ups have been a focus of my workouts for about 6 years now. Practice makes perfect. I'd like to start pushing my muscle ups again but I'm afraid of tweaking my shoulder. I'm not even sure the muscle ups caused it last time but I suspect they were. Still most proud of my 55lb muscle up out of all my lifts.

entremet

I'm not sure what that really gets you though besides excess fat. Does that work for some people? I would imagine you would be sacrificing more muscle gain that way in favor of just packing on weight.

Bulking and gaining fat go hand and hand, unless you're a genetic abnormally, rank novice, or on drugs.

Muscle comes at price. You can always cut latter.

Hypertrophy requires excess calories. There's really not way around that if you're a natural trainee. But yes, dirty bulking is hella effective.

Cooper

In general, "heavy" is a rep range more than an absolute weight, or even a proportion of body weight. It means you can only do a few reps until you experience muscular failure (cannot complete another rep with good form). The broad definitions are

Heavy - Can lift 5 or fewer times with good form
Medium - Can lift up to 12 times
Light - Can lift 15 or more

How many times can you bench ~75 pounds?

Cooper

Thanks guys. Pull ups have been a focus of my workouts for about 6 years now. Practice makes perfect. I'd like to start pushing my muscle ups again but I'm afraid of tweaking my shoulder. I'm not even sure the muscle ups caused it last time but I suspect they were. Still most proud of my 55lb muscle up out of all my lifts.

Do you remember how many years in you started adding weight to pull-ups? I have a personal goal to eventually do 5 body weight pull-ups, but it feels like that will be a long way off. How quickly do the genetically gifted amongst us progress?

Pancakes

There is a cooper and a cooter in here? Damn I have to start paying attention.

There is also like 3 different people with names like

BlackFace
BlackAce
BlackJace

mdsfx

So I have the advantage of having a crappy assortment of letters, devoid of vowels, that no one else would ever care to emulate. Excellent...

Cooter

Do you remember how many years in you started adding weight to pull-ups? I have a personal goal to eventually do 5 body weight pull-ups, but it feels like that will be a long way off. How quickly do the genetically gifted amongst us progress?
I want to say 2 years. You got this Coop. Do them often and focus on your negatives too.

There is a cooper and a cooter in here? Damn I have to start paying attention.
Damn straight! Best recognize! We also have Cudder who rounds out our trio of C***ers!

BumRush

Yeah, so we're doing weighted muscle ups now?? I want to get in on that.

You got this Coop. Do them often and focus on your negatives too.

Coop, this is great advice. Negatives are the best way to improve your pull ups.

sphinx

the piano man

I am not genetically gifted but I'll give my opinion

I remember the first 3 or 4 months after I started to work out, it was a real struggle to execute more than 2 reps of either chin-ups or pull-ups. and those 2 reps were with my whole body shaking like I am about to explode. I remember I started with narrow grip chin-ups and eventually migrated to pull-ups trying to widen the grip over time.

as for a particular approach, I remember back then in 2012 MrOogieBoogie casually shared his "pyramid scheme" in the Fitness OT4 for doing pull-ups and sounded like a good idea so I decided that that's what I was going to try.

so I would do 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 and I'd stay a month going up to 5. Going down the pyramid is the real difficulty, once you reach 6 and are like "yyyay new PR!" doing 5 reps directly afterwards is hard as all hell but eventually you nail the complete pyramid.

I remember I reached the 9th rep set before chaging my scheme, so I was doing 81 reps on a session! It helped me a ton with that.

for those who manage to do 2 or 3 reps, you gotta stick to it, even if it seems discouraging at first, the reps will come. Make two small pyramids, 1-2-3-2-1 and again 1-2-3-2-1.

Cooter

Yeah, so we're doing weighted muscle ups now?? I want to get in on that.
This was 2 years ago when I started doing them. Get in the game Bum!! ;) Backed off after a few nagging injuries but I think I may start up again just at lower volume. My long-term goal was/is 75lbs. Lotta work to do...

Cooper

So I have the advantage of having a crappy assortment of letters, devoid of vowels, that no one else would ever care to emulate. Excellent...

If I remember correctly, Szu confused you with mkenyon not so long ago in this very thread. Muscle confusion everywhere!

sphinx said:
as for a particular approach, I remember back then in 2012 MrOogieBoogie casually shared his "pyramid scheme" in the Fitness OT4 for doing pull-ups

Cooter said:
I want to say 2 years. You got this Coop. Do them often and focus on your negatives too.

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like some things to try. Right now I've been trying to build up the muscles doing bodyweight inverted rows, and occasionally trying a chin-up or pull-up. I can do about 5 strict chin-ups, and maybe just eek out 2 pull-ups.

Do you guys think 2 times a week is enough volume?

Bowser

I was smart enough to sign up at site launch 10+ years ago so I got to keep my username...as they say, often imitated, never duplicated!

Cooter

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like some things to try. Right now I've been trying to build up the muscles doing bodyweight inverted rows, and occasionally trying a chin-up or pull-up. I can do about 5 strict chin-ups, and maybe just eek out 2 pull-ups.

Do you guys think 2 times a week is enough volume?
Even 3 times would be fine. No substitute for practicing the real thing. I actually just struck up a conversation at my gym with a girl after I watched her do pull ups. She had perfect form with everyone starting at a dead hang. Very impressive. She said she can do 8 bw and even do 4 with 10lbs. Pretty great stuff. Of course it doesn't hurt that she weighed somewhere around 100lbs. That's another thing, if you are serious the best advantage you can have is getting as lean as possible. Five or ten pounds doesn't seem like much but it makes a world of difference.

ILoveBish

Awesome! Not to inflate your ego, but you're a great inspiration. I think of your responses about diet whenever I'm struggling.

We're all struggling man. And no worries, I look forward to updates from everyone else all the time. We're all trying to better ourselves.

Soon....

Great work, how low you going?

Im currently considering stopping at 230 (6'5") then moving onto a bulk to rebuild. Should be easier to cut back later if I have more lean mass and eat properly this time round.

My goal right now is a flat stomach. I think at 205-210, I'll have it at 5'11. I don't know for sure number wise, if I had to guess, I'd say I'm at 23-ish bf%, might be less but I don't know.

OK, I think I've gotten to a point where I realize I'm trying to achieve something I can't. I don't have the muscle mass to match the people with the super cut cores that I'm trying to achieve, especially due to having a slight build (narrow shoulders).

I'm starting to wonder if I'm kind of spinning my wheels on this cut and need to start bulking. Like this guy. Looks awesome. I want to get there badly, but I think he's got more mass. I don't know anymore.

Help?

You can do a steady bulk and cut after you feel like you're getting too fat, or you can do a recomp program where you eat more on lifting days and cut on your off days.

mdsfx

...or you can do a recomp program where you eat more on lifting days and cut on your off days.
I have never heard of this. Does this work?

I assumed the body sort of operates on averages, so that if I ate 1500 calories on day 1 and 2500 calories on day 2, that it would just average to 2000 day. If that average per day was above my daily maintenance calories I would gain, or if it was under I would lose.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Edit: I'm reading up on this and it sounds perfect so far.

Edit 2: And fasted cardio on off days is recommended?! Sign me up!

sphinx

the piano man
Five or ten pounds doesn't seem like much but it makes a world of difference.

on this topic, I just came from the store and bought a 11 lbs/5 kg vest that I buckle up on the front, at the height of my chest (will post pics later),

I tried it on before buying and fits perfectly.

I had been strugging with adding weight to several important BW exercsies and today is the day that changes. Pull-ups, Dips and Hyperextensions, just from the top of my head.

finally I'll add weight in a way that doesn't involve holding stupid dumbbells with my feet or attaching chains to my waist. I am thrilled,

I am about to hit the gym and will do dips, I'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom