• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

what program can i do to get stronger but do a lot of volume as well? 5/3/1+ or w/e youre doing brolic? 5/3/1 just add more assistance? I know PHAT is ok but I didn't care for it. I need to find a program with good strength progression right now, because as it is, I'm not really making progress anywhere except size (which is cool, but not all i want lol). bench squat and deadlift have all been stuck around the same numbers for too long.

mdsfx

Eating clean would be so much easier living alone. These kids are wolfing down some pretty mean, homemade treats right now and I... Am having a slice of aged cheddar cheese.

Oh god what I would do to those brownies. I won't even describe it as I would get banned.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's going down. I've begun cleaning out my garage to make room for expanding my gym. Maybe I'll have it done end of summer.

Azulsky

You just need to learn proper posture. Sit on the backs of your thighs/lower butt, rather than slouching back. Had the same issue myself, and took like literally 2 years to really stop hurting :p

This works for sitting but....

I can lay on a padded bench and I cant do a situp or leg raise without the tailbone being the fulcrum. Some really really intense pain.

My guess personally is that my quads are monsters and my glutes are weak. Specifically on the glutes they are too long and my femurs are internally rotated more than they should be(valgus knees and ankle pronation), I have to intentionally torque my legs outwards when doing squats/deads to get activation on the glutes.

Currently working on pre exhausting quads before doing those to try to give the glutes a chance.
Glute activation exercises work as well, its an odd condition but not too uncommon.

mdsfx

I can lay on a padded bench and I cant do a situp or leg raise without the tailbone being the fulcrum. Some really really intense pain.

My guess personally is that my quads are monsters and my glutes are weak.

I have no idea how to make it better because it seems like quads take over every compound exercise. Currently working on pre exhausting quads before doing those to try to give the glutes a chance.

Whoa I'm not the only one!! I used to have this problem even worse than I do now. Doing squats helped me over time. It's not as bad now that I have an ass of some kind.

And yeah, sit-ups on a hard surface? Not happening. Hurts like hell.

J. Bravo

My guess personally is that my quads are monsters and my glutes are weak.

I have no idea how to make it better because it seems like quads take over every compound exercise. Currently working on pre exhausting quads before doing those to try to give the glutes a chance.

glute bridges, lying leg curls, glute ham raises. if you go deep enough (just below parallel), your hamstrings are activated during squats quite a bit.

although idk why weak glutes/hams would cause extreme pain just doing situps. maybe you have a cyst at the top of your crack. those hurt like a bitch. lol.

Hot, humid summer weather and hill sprints... Ugh. Simultaneously my bane and one of the most gratifying types of exercise out there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What's the end state garage gym look like for Brolic?
Stones to 300lbs, kegs up to 250lbs, rack with dip bar attachment, tires for dumping stones/log, 4 more horse stall mats, Texas power bar, a safety squat bar and a bench with a Donnie thompson fat pad.

Oh, and a prowler.

J. Bravo

Stones to 300lbs, kegs up to 250lbs, rack with dip bar attachment, tires for dumping stones/log, 4 more horse stall mats, Texas power bar, a safety squat bar and a bench with a Donnie thompson fat pad.

Oh, and a prowler.

I want a prowler. are you gonna build one or buy something like the elitefts versioN?

Azulsky

glute bridges, lying leg curls, glute ham raises. if you go deep enough (just below parallel), your hamstrings are activated during squats quite a bit.

although idk why weak glutes/hams would cause extreme pain just doing situps. maybe you have a cyst at the top of your crack. those hurt like a bitch. lol.

TMI, but I have had one of those fuckers and I remember that pain, i will remember that pain for the rest of my life.

My logic is this...

Glutes arent built up because i sit on my bum all day, because i was a fat bastard my thighs took over(bless you quadzilla), so they dont activate well on compound exercises.

So when i lost a bunch of weight(now well over a person) I started to notice knee pain. Most of all the treatments have to do with weak quads, not me lol. I have always been a bit bow legged but that doesnt really explain how the patellas point toward each other(imagine a vector normal to knee), but I noticed that when exercising on indoor bikes.

After much internetting, Lo and behold glute weakness is a key cause of knee pain.

I probably exacerbated the knee pain because I only did the indoor bike for a year while losing weight and I pretty much max it out resistance wise at a decent pace so my thighs were holding onto muscle while my ass was sagging.

I do the glute activations stuff, actually have a band on order from Rogue so I can do the lateral walks daily as those a heavily recommended to bring back external rotation.

Gonna get this butt so in shape it will have its own IG account.

BumRush

Oh, and a prowler.

1500 lbs capacity on the power bar?? HOLY SHIT.

Sadetar

And FitGaf continues to add great looking specimens. Awesome work UrAvgGuy.
I know. I love it. :p

Haha thanks! well now I really feel like I've made it.
Awwwww. I like you already. ^_^

And here it is. Raw, unfiltered disappointment.

IMG_2.jpg
My day just keeps getting better and better. That is damn impressive. Also I really, really appreciate the photo.

Well, as promised a few weeks back, today was 1s week for squats and I did 315 for the first time in my life. I never lifted when I was younger.

42 years old, 198 lbs.

Critiques welcome.
https://youtu.be/pAW2R_f05MA
Oh I so love this thread...

You are handling some massive weights there. To me it looked very fine, but then again I usually look at all the wrong places anyways.

As a total sidenote you look quite much like a friend of mine.

The problem is, being an overuse issue, obviously every rotation of the pedal is technically going to cause more inflammation. I was pretty much having to leave a week between any cycling so that it could heal fully but now it's angry as hell and I don't really want to risk any sort of movement (even sitting at my desk is uncomfortable).
Awwww, you poor babe. I feel you there. Hopefully it gets better soon! Not being able to work out is pain in the ass on its own not to mention the real physical pain. Just take it easy. I know it sucks, but it is good for you in the long run. You don't want to make it worse.

Sadetar

Go go self-healing! Hopefully it won't come to surgery but if it does, I'm sure you're in good hands. And they will fix you right as rain. :)

On another note, didn't really need to improvise the squats yesterday for my first workout. I was able to "rack" the barbell on the bench's bar almost exactly like a squat rack. So all good, starting strength full speed ahead. I squatted and did bench press with 16lbs~ lmao. And deadlift with 23lbs.

My thighs huuuuuurt today.

Also ordered some peanut butter protein powder. Hope it's good!
Go you! I am so happy and proud for you at the moment. I can't do either deadlifts or squats at all and all my machine work is also with baby weights. I needed to take off around 30 pounds from everything I do even with the machines. And I can't even imagine deadlifting with 23 most likely at all this year. Hahha, I am just damn jealous. :p You do it on my behalf and post pics of your progress. :D

The hurt is good! I can't wait to hear and see how you are doing! I am so excited! ^_^

http://i.imgur.com/5rzAbju.jpg

I need to put a lot more emphasis on arms & abs... my arms are only 14 inches but I've recently found that skullcrushers really hit my triceps hard, so I'm going to do those every week. I need a better ab workout too, I've been using an app on my phone that contains ab workouts but it's not that great. Just going to do my own thing I think, traditional crunches, hanging leg raises, planks and ab rolls feel good on the abs.
That is so awesome! Good for you. How long it has been between the photos? You have been doing great job this far and I am sure you will continue doing brilliantly well!

Since we're doing squat form checks, I'll post mine today. Barely over a plate at 165, but we all progress in our own time, right? :p I think I'm breaking parallel. Can I count this as a PR?

https://youtu.be/XS21DFtUeNE
You can count it to be what ever you want - I simply adore you.

Eating clean would be so much easier living alone. These kids are wolfing down some pretty mean, homemade treats right now and I... Am having a slice of aged cheddar cheese.

Oh god what I would do to those brownies. I won't even describe it as I would get banned.
Hahah, I am grinning so wide at the moment. I cencor myself all the time in here. ;)

Hello fitgaf! Long time lurker, first time poster as I've finally decided it was time to get into shape. Well, it was more like it was decided for me due to health reasons. Hypertension runs in my family and I've had it pretty bad despite everything else being normal (cholesterol, glucose, etc) I'm also not overweight by any means (6'3" 215lbs) and I've had to be on medication for it for a while. I figure its time to stop the medication (or at least decrease its intake) and do the whole lifestyle change to get it into good levels. So, for the past 6 or so weeks I've drastically changed my diet (fish, fresh vegetables and fruits) and started working out (first with body weight stuff and running for cardiovascular health) and holy shit have things improved. The BP is lowered, and I'm loving what I see in the mirror, and now I want to go even further and that means hitting the gym.

I've been good about picking out a good program so I don't need any help with all that yet, but I do have a question. I need to keep up the cardio work to make sure my heart is in good shape along with the diet but my experience reading the thread seems to be that there's no room for cardio with weight training. Am I wrong in assuming that because I've seen some good results with the routine I've been doing but the people in here are far more experienced than I so I would like some input.

Sorry for the long first post, but I'm excited to join the ranks of FITGaf (and maybe eventually post a progress pic, not there yet at least IMO )

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
325x20 was very easy and I was still a little sore from monday's 315 2x20. I hope to hit 365 high bar beltless this time, I think x15-17 was my best.

FUME5

I need to keep up the cardio work to make sure my heart is in good shape along with the diet but my experience reading the thread seems to be that there's no room for cardio with weight training. Am I wrong in assuming that because I've seen some good results with the routine I've been doing but the people in here are far more experienced than I so I would like some input.

Sorry for the long first post, but I'm excited to join the ranks of FITGaf (and maybe eventually post a progress pic, not there yet at least IMO )

I'm far from an expert, but I found out about 2 years ago (after they tried to medicate me for high BP / heart rate) that I had tachycardia.

So I hit the exercise bike for 20 min before I lift and 45 min - 1 hr on the Tuesday and Thursday for some steady state cardio. So long as I don't go too hard it doesn't effect my recovery and my BP is fine.

I've been good about picking out a good program so I don't need any help with all that yet, but I do have a question. I need to keep up the cardio work to make sure my heart is in good shape along with the diet but my experience reading the thread seems to be that there's no room for cardio with weight training. Am I wrong in assuming that because I've seen some good results with the routine I've been doing but the people in here are far more experienced than I so I would like some input.

My understanding is that you'll just end up being mediocre at both if you don't choose a priority. Pick one to focus on and do the other one as "accessory", if you want to call it that. In the end it just depends on what your goals are, and what you want your end physique to look like.

This article might be of help to you for a better understanding and in deciding what to do:

http://www.humanengine.com/index.php/articles/training/item/the-cardio-comedown?category_id=2

For someone like me, I hate cardio so I cut it out of my program altogether. If it's a necessity for you, then your program will probably change accordingly.

Cooper

You can count it to be what ever you want - I simply adore you.

Thanks! I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope your magical healing powers keep working!

Leeness - Good start with the Stronglifts. You'll need a more complete setup at some point, but it's nice that you can get a feel for the program with what you have. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Leeness

Go you! I am so happy and proud for you at the moment. I can't do either deadlifts or squats at all and all my machine work is also with baby weights. I needed to take off around 30 pounds from everything I do even with the machines. And I can't even imagine deadlifting with 23 most likely at all this year. Hahha, I am just damn jealous. :p You do it on my behalf and post pics of your progress. :D

The hurt is good! I can't wait to hear and see how you are doing! I am so excited! ^_^

Good hurt is good haha. It doesn't help that I haven't worked out consistently for a few months. It will fade soon enough.

Aww, I'm sad that you can't work out much :( Soon though! You'll heal and be back in the game :)

Leeness - Good start with the Stronglifts. You'll need a more complete setup at some point, but it's nice that you can get a feel for the program with what you have. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Well, I'm hoping that my little gym will work out for a while. I seem to have everything I need for squats, bench presses, presses, deadlifts and power cleans, so I should be okay. I'm hoping so! I can't afford a gym haha.

Here's hoping I progress haha. So weak and resistant to change...

alternade

So in a 9/11-like twist I'm now working at the gym part time. I'll be in operations aka folding towels and cleaning the building. Its pretty good cardio, I get around 15k-17k steps a day and I sweaty ass off. Plus I get a free membership. The rates start at $150. Its Lifetime fitness BTW

I still prefer planet fitness though

My understanding is that you'll just end up being mediocre at both if you don't choose a priority. Pick one to focus on and do the other one as "accessory", if you want to call it that. In the end it just depends on what your goals are, and what you want your end physique to look like.

This article might be of help to you for a better understanding and in deciding what to do:

http://www.humanengine.com/index.php/articles/training/item/the-cardio-comedown?category_id=2

For someone like me, I hate cardio so I cut it out of my program altogether. If it's a necessity for you, then your program will probably change accordingly.

I actually like cardio (well, sprinting since I use to run track competitively). Its just that physically (and according to doctor's advice) I should continue cardio work, so I decided to start training for a half marathon. My training regimen does have weight work embedded into the program, just not super intense hypertrophic stuff. Although, I'm starting to want to do that more the more times I go into the gym.

I haven't really decided an ultimate goal other than the improved cardiovascular health, but I guess I would like to decrease my body fat % and have visible abs again (which are actually starting to come in, the wonders of a good diet :) )

Just had another treatment on the knee / IT band. Informed him that I'm still bruised from the last one so if he's as rough as he was last time we'd be having strong words! After a bit of ultrasound and massage he used acupuncture needles to increase blood flow to the area. That's a first for me.

Apparently it's a lot better than it was, but I can't really tell at the moment as all I can feel is bruising. Will probably try an hour on the turbo trainer later to see how I get on.

BumRush

Hello fitgaf! Long time lurker, first time poster as I've finally decided it was time to get into shape. Well, it was more like it was decided for me due to health reasons. Hypertension runs in my family and I've had it pretty bad despite everything else being normal (cholesterol, glucose, etc) I'm also not overweight by any means (6'3" 215lbs) and I've had to be on medication for it for a while. I figure its time to stop the medication (or at least decrease its intake) and do the whole lifestyle change to get it into good levels. So, for the past 6 or so weeks I've drastically changed my diet (fish, fresh vegetables and fruits) and started working out (first with body weight stuff and running for cardiovascular health) and holy shit have things improved. The BP is lowered, and I'm loving what I see in the mirror, and now I want to go even further and that means hitting the gym.

Hey man. I feel you with the high BP. Do not listen to ANYONE telling you not to do cardio. You're not hitting the gym just for aesthetics or for strength, you're doing it for your health. Lift hard, eat right and DEFINITELY do cardiovascular activity.

sphinx

the piano man
Nice PRs, videos and pics everyone.

I've been doing rather well if it isn't for the fact that after any main compound or taxing exercise, fatigue starts kicking in and then I have to do long ass pauses between sets and I am yawning every 5 minutes. it sucks.

I think I'll look into a pre-workout. I am completely immune to coffee and don't like redbull that much so any suggestions are welcome.

mdsfx

Hey man. I feel you with the high BP. Do not listen to ANYONE telling you not to do cardio. You're not hitting the gym just for aesthetics or for strength, you're doing it for your health. Lift hard, eat right and DEFINITELY do cardiovascular activity.

If your ONLY goal is gaining mass, then I understand why people say that, but even then I think you can do a few things to counteract the effects cardio while bulking in an effort to stay heart healthy:

1. replace calories burned from cardio by eating more

2. Do cardio and lifting at different times

3. Keep cardio sessions shorter, but more intense

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm admittedly just regurgitating things I've read.

mdsfx

Nice PRs, videos and pics everyone.

I've been doing rather well if it isn't for the fact that after any main compound or taxing exercise, fatigue starts kicking in and then I have to do long ass pauses between sets and I am yawning every 5 minutes. it sucks.

I think I'll look into a pre-workout. I am completely immune to coffee and don't like redbull that much so any suggestions are welcome.

They still scare me with the tingling/itchy sensations, but they do work. Some people can get a bit light headed though.

I have only tried C4 and Optimum Nutrition PRE. I prefer C4 since it doesn't have pepper extract which takes a small toll on my stomach. I think Musclepharm Assault is popular, but I've never tried it.

BumRush

If your ONLY goal is gaining mass, then I understand why people say that, but even then I think you can do a few things to counteract the effects cardio while bulking in an effort to stay heart healthy:

1. replace calories burned from cardio by eating more

2. Do cardio and lifting at different times

3. Keep cardio sessions shorter, but more intense

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm admittedly just regurgitating things I've read.

I don't think you're wrong at all, bud.

In silent soldiers case, he shouldn't even think about mass until his doctors say the hypertension has gone away without taking pills.

That's basically right, but you can't completely counteract the effect, just mitigate it.

Still, more cardio = more food, so that's fine by me. ;)

I stopped taking any commercial pre-workout because I used to crash hard half way through a workout. They're fine if you're only going for say, 30 mins to 45 mins, but not great for longer.

...and as immune as you think you are to coffee (I'm the same), try a quad espresso (or hell, 6x if you're massively immune) about 10 mins before. I really, really doubt you wont get some sort of kick out of it. That's what I do if I'm not feeling up to it, and it's yet to fail.

Irobot82

I have to fast today until 1:35 for a health screening at work. I have five and a half more hours to go and I haven't ate since 6:30pm yesterday.

Faiz

Weighted pull-ups? Yes please. Love doing these. They make body weight pull ups seem so much easier.

Ugh:

"Why don't you just use the lat pull-down machine?"

Looking good. I envy everyone able to do weighted pull-ups. Lats have always been my weakest muscle group. I was that kid in elementary school who couldn't do a single chinup, much less a pull-up. Best I can manage now is still just a couple body weight pull-ups, or 4-5 bw chin-ups; got there with a mix of banded pull-ups, negatives, and when I was going to a commercial gym, a gravitron. Weighted with a plate is a goal but given the history not sure I'll ever get there.

mdsfx

Weighted with a plate is a goal but given the history not sure I'll ever get there.
Never say never. When I was younger I couldn't do a single pull up. Lat pulldown and/or assisted pull ups are a great way to get there. At least they were for me. I would either use bands or just put a bench underneath me so I could push myself up slightly with my feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom