• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

So this recomp diet/program suggests higher carbs and calories on lifting days while having less calories/carbs on off/cardio days.

I have a question though. The key seemed to be to load up a bit on carbs before your workout, but I lift at 6am. Would I stagger my diet so that I ate the carbs the previous night?

ILoveBish

So this recomp diet/program suggests higher carbs and calories on lifting days while having less calories/carbs on off/cardio days.

I have a question though. The key seemed to be to load up a bit on carbs before your workout, but I lift at 6am. Would I stagger my diet so that I ate the carbs the previous night?

Lyle Mcdonald and his site http://www.bodyrecomposition.com are what you need to go to.

I've never done the recomp but once I get a flat stomach, I'll be switching to that.

BlackJace

In general, "heavy" is a rep range more than an absolute weight, or even a proportion of body weight. It means you can only do a few reps until you experience muscular failure (cannot complete another rep with good form). The broad definitions are

Heavy - Can lift 5 or fewer times with good form
Medium - Can lift up to 12 times
Light - Can lift 15 or more

How many times can you bench ~75 pounds?

I normally go 8-10 X 3 Sets

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

IIRC, if you're looking to just get bigger muscles high rep ranges are fine.

UrF1U.png

The OP has a better explanation of this.

mdsfx

I enjoy starting at 8-10, then increasing my weight and dropping reps every set until I'm almost at my one rep max, then working back to higher reps and low weight. I'm close to failure at every set after the first 1 or 2. I never rack weight if I can do another rep.

8-10 @ 135
5-8 @ 165
3-5 @ 205
1-2 @ 225
3-5 @ 205
5-8 @ 185
8-10 @ 135

Something like that. Why? I just enjoy it. Might not even f*cking work that well, but I love doing it which is half the battle lol.

I did my trainer session. Even 80% felt relatively hard and I've clearly lost some fitness in the last few weeks. Don't think that my IT band was rubbing / twinging, but it's hard to tell as the tape the physio glued to me was pulling my hairs out. Little pain at the front of my knee, but I don't think it was anything to be concerned about.

Will do some stretching / heat treatments and see where I am in a couple of days with a 90% session.

I have never heard of this. Does this work?

I assumed the body sort of operates on averages, so that if I ate 1500 calories on day 1 and 2500 calories on day 2, that it would just average to 2000 day. If that average per day was above my daily maintenance calories I would gain, or if it was under I would lose.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Edit: I'm reading up on this and it sounds perfect so far.

Edit 2: And fasted cardio on off days is recommended?! Sign me up!

I've been doing it, works for me.

...and you can average it out, but the body doesn't really work that way.

Ambitious

I started jogging regularly about two months ago, and I feel pretty great about my progress. My route is approximately 6.1 km (~3.8 miles), but there are several hills; one of them is especially steep. Back then, I had to take a break to catch my breath at least every half kilometer, and I had to walk all uphill parts.

Today, I hit my first major milestone: I managed to run the whole route without a single break. Feels really good.
It took me 39 minutes, so I guess my next goal is to increase my speed in order to do it in 30 minutes or less.

mdsfx

I started jogging regularly about two months ago, and I feel pretty great about my progress. My route is approximately 6.1 km (~3.8 miles), but there are several hills; one of them is especially steep. Back then, I had to take a break to catch my breath at least every half kilometer, and I had to walk all uphill parts.

Today, I hit my first major milestone: I managed to run the whole route without a single break. Feels really good.
It took me 39 minutes, so I guess my next goal is to increase my speed in order to do it in 30 minutes or less.

That is awesome. It's such a good feeling isn't it? great progress and excellent job running for such a long period of time. Many people never run for that long.

Ever run in a race? It's so much fun and non competitive. If you haven't I encourage you to try one. The running community so far is super friendly.

BlackJace

IIRC, if you're looking to just get bigger muscles high rep ranges are fine.

The OP has a better explanation of this.

And how do you feel after each set? Are you approaching failure? Or could you push out more reps if you wanted to? No matter which rep range you work in, you need to progressively add weight over time.

After each set I feel pretty good, I have consistent pumps and all that, even distribution. I approach failure if I start to go over 3 sets. I simply tire out. I have been staying at the same range for a few weeks now, so I've definitely made a mistake there.

I enjoy starting at 8-10, then increasing my weight and dropping reps every set until I'm almost at my one rep max, then working back to higher reps and low weight. I'm close to failure at every set after the first 1 or 2. I never rack weight if I can do another rep.

8-10 @ 135
5-8 @ 165
3-5 @ 205
1-2 @ 225
3-5 @ 205
5-8 @ 185
8-10 @ 135

Something like that. Why? I just enjoy it. Might not even f*cking work that well, but I love doing it which is half the battle lol.

All in all, it sounds like I should increase weight and try to max out. Today's actually bench day, so I can try all this out, thanks guys!

BumRush

8-10 @ 135
5-8 @ 165
3-5 @ 205
1-2 @ 225
3-5 @ 205
5-8 @ 185
8-10 @ 135

You do 7 sets of every exercise you do?

BumRush

All in all, it sounds like I should increase weight and try to max out. Today's actually bench day, so I can try all this out, thanks guys!

Don't try to max out your bench, by yourself. If you're a novice, you will max out and drop the bar on yourself. Take it slow. Increase in increments of 5-10 lbs.

I'm going to get hell for this I think, but I do 3 compound exercises, 10 sets each. 30 sets total per workout.

I hardly do any isolation.

Can't mess with results :)

Leeness

It's unreal how much my legs hurt from Monday lol.

Day 2 this evening, push through the pain! Once I'm not waddling, I will take a squat form video so you guys can make sure I'm doing it right.

mdsfx

I'm running out of protein but I still have some time left to be able to order some ON (since it seems to be the most popular brand around here) and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with this:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey, Naturally Flavored Chocolate, 4.8 Pound
List Price: $106.49
Price: $57.99 ($57.99 / Count) Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $48.50 (46%)​

*75% of the people in here raise their hands*

Edit: oh, are you asking about the natural flavor? If so it takes a little getting used to. Tastes much more watered down and has a few more carbs. Not bad though.

I actually mix the natural chocolate whey with the standard chocolate casein.

3phemeral

*75% of the people in here raise their hands*

Edit: oh, are you asking about the natural flavor? If so it takes a little getting used to. Tastes much more watered down and has a few more carbs. Not bad though.

I actually mix the natural chocolate whey with the standard chocolate casein.

Oh, sorry, I should have clarified. lol

Yeah, I was concerned with flavor and maybe price. It says 47% off so I assumed it'd be a deal but then I saw the "All natural" and wondered if it was a significant taste difference to warrant a price reduction because of...lack of popularity.

I always add a few things to my drinks like flax seeds, bananas, peanut butter, cinnamon, so it probably won't be much of an issue, right?

mdsfx

Oh, sorry, I should have clarified. lol

Yeah, I was concerned with flavor and maybe price. It says 47% off so I assumed it'd be a deal but then I saw the "All natural" and wondered if it was a significant taste difference to warrant a price reduction because of...lack of popularity.

I always add a few things to my drinks like flax seeds, bananas, peanut butter, cinnamon, so it probably won't be much of an issue, right?

It's much less sweet. Also, it's always 47% off everywhere lol

ILoveBish

Gym was pretty good, didn't feel super strong but good enough. Did my deload set for ohp, then did 5 sets of pull ups, totaling 17 clean pull ups. Not too shabby for weighing in at 236 lbs this morning. Can't wait till I lose more weight so I can get 20+ pull ups. Then onto weighted.

Ambitious

That is awesome. It's such a good feeling isn't it? great progress and excellent job running for such a long period of time. Many people never run for that long.

Ever run in a race? It's so much fun and non competitive. If you haven't I encourage you to try one. The running community so far is super friendly.

Well, yes, kinda. As a kid, I was member of an orienteering club for a few years. But that's a long time ago.
I haven't done any sports or fitness activities in years, so I put on some weight. My goal for this summer is to lose all the extra weight and get in form.

3phemeral

It's much less sweet. Also, it's always 47% off everywhere lol

lol

I can't find ON products anywhere here that's convenient, so I have to get them online (there's a bunch of Six Star, Muscle Milk, EAS and Arnold Schwarzenegger Iron Whey at Meijer). And none of that stuff is ever on sale when I buy it.

I remember reading an article on reddit about someone who did a protein analysis but there seems to be a debate on whether or not those testing methods were even accurate. Ever since, I've been worried about getting ripped off for essentially misadvertised protein so I'm just hoping to get good protein that won't destroy my budget.

mdsfx

Well, yes, kinda. As a kid, I was member of an orienteering club for a few years. But that's a long time ago.
I haven't done any sports or fitness activities in years, so I put on some weight. My goal for this summer is to lose all the extra weight and get in form.
Running my first race, in terrible form mind you, was the best thing I've done in recent history. My motivation spiked. There are so many no-pressure, fun-runs of varying distances that it's easy to find one you would like.

mdsfx

lol

I can't find ON products anywhere here that's convenient, so I have to get them online (there's a bunch of Six Star, Muscle Milk, EAS and Arnold Schwarzenegger Iron Whey at Meijer). And none of that stuff is ever on sale when I buy it.
Sorry I meant online. I always buy from amazon or bodybuilding.com

Azulsky

The ON Natural Casein tastes pretty good.

I dont even see what the sweetener is in ON regular whey..., they actually have more sugar in the natural whey... so confused

In the Casein is the difference between Sucralose and Stevia

3phemeral

Sorry I meant online. I always buy from amazon or bodybuilding.com

Thank you for your help :)

The ON Natural Casein tastes pretty good.

I dont even see what the sweetener is in ON regular whey..., they actually have more sugar in the natural whey... so confused

In the Casein is the difference between Sucralose and Stevia
I didn't even know what Casein was until I was looking at the myriad of protein types and literally stood in front of the shelf for 40 minutes researching them so I could learn the appropriate usage scenario. I had no idea about slow-acting and fast-acting protein.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Damnit. Tried to foam roll my ankles today for no reason and now my squats feel unstable and difficult as hell. Had to lower by 10lbs T_T.

On top of that I forgot my water bottle and my gym buddy wussed out. Gonna be a great training session...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damnit. Tried to foam roll my ankles today for no reason and now my squats feel unstable and difficult as hell. Had to lower by 10lbs T_T.

On top of that I forgot my water bottle and my gym buddy wussed out. Gonna be a great training session...

If you're not having issues, don't foam roll, or roll at all. Only SMR when I start having problems. There's such thing as too mobile.

mdsfx

Came home to my wife having made tai with wheat noodles and amazon having delivered my quest bars. I love my wife and I love amazon.

Holy crap these mint Quest Bars are amazing!!!

sphinx

the piano man
Now to pop my Quest Bar cherry...

speaking about protein bars.. I bought this one today, it seemed to have good nutritional values

Power Bar Vanilla

I suppose its no match to a Quest bar.

the package says:

347 Calories,
fat 11,6 gr.
Carbs 25.5 gr.
Protein 29.9 gr., out of which 12.4 is Casein, 11,9 is Whey and 5.2 Soy Protein

I ate it directly after workout on my way home

now the questions is, is this bar somewhat bad or is it complete turd?

at least it tasted good and wasn't as chunky as other cheap protein bars,

Pancakes

If you're not having issues, don't foam roll, or roll at all. Only SMR when I start having problems. There's such thing as too mobile.

I normally only foam roll my quads, hip flexors, and upper back before a workout since I have anterior pelvic tilt and don't want it to get worse. Should I do it afterwards instead? I don't really have severe mobility problems on squats.

Ventara

Guys, when counting calories, is it better to err on the low or the high side? For dinner, we're having some traditional food called Pokora (not sure if it's spelled like that). It's basically a liquidy dough made from chickpea flour mixed with a ton of veggies, then deep fried. The flour is 338 calories/100g, but that's all I know. Food scale hasn't come in yet, but that wouldn't help much since I don't know how much flour was used and how much oil I should factor in.

Hey man. I feel you with the high BP. Do not listen to ANYONE telling you not to do cardio. You're not hitting the gym just for aesthetics or for strength, you're doing it for your health. Lift hard, eat right and DEFINITELY do cardiovascular activity.

Thanks. This whole fitness thing has definitely been to benefit my health, the strength gains and physical appearance have just been icing on the cake.

Running my first race, in terrible form mind you, was the best thing I've done in recent history. My motivation spiked. There are so many no-pressure, fun-runs of varying distances that it's easy to find one you would like.

That's what really started my original fitness craze, running a 5K over a year ago. I had only had like 2 days of actual running before the race, so I did about as well as you would expect. Since going 100% with the diet and fitness, I'm now running 20 or so miles a week and faring far better. Which is why I've decided to run a half marathon, which may or may not kill me since I was always a sprinter.

mdsfx

... I've decided to run a half marathon, which may or may not kill me since I was always a sprinter.
Hey I'm doing the same! It will be my first. Not sure which one to sign up for yet, but my recent 10-mile was a good precursor. Should be fun. I'm sure you'll do fine.

BumRush

Guys, when counting calories, is it better to err on the low or the high side? For dinner, we're having some traditional food called Pokora (not sure if it's spelled like that). It's basically a liquidy dough made from chickpea flour mixed with a ton of veggies, then deep fried. The flour is 338 calories/100g, but that's all I know. Food scale hasn't come in yet, but that wouldn't help much since I don't know how much flour was used and how much oil I should factor in.

If you're trying to lose weight, err on the high side. If you're trying to gain weight (which you're not), err on the low side. Make sense?

Zoe

Is foam rolling your ankles even a thing? It's meant for soft tissue. You're not really supposed to put pressure directly on your bones/joints.

Leeness

So I think I need to ease myself into this a little slower lol. I got home to do my second day of SS but my legs are in so much pain I don't think I'd even be able to squat.

I think I'll put a heat pack on my thighs tonight and do day 2 tomorrow...

Once I get into it, it'll never be this bad again but my "first day back to a workout routine" pains are always bad, and this is a whopper lol.

I'm so pathetic haha. Soon though, soon...less pathetic and more strong...

mdsfx

So I think I need to ease myself into this a little slower lol. I got home to do my second day of SS but my legs are in so much pain I don't think I'd even be able to squat.

I think I'll put a heat pack on my thighs tonight and do day 2 tomorrow...

Once I get into it, it'll never be this bad again but my "first day back to a workout routine" pains are always bad, and this is a whopper lol.

I'm so pathetic haha. Soon though, soon...less pathetic and more strong...

I remember going through this. It doesn't really go away that quickly. I remember having to just workout anyway, as painful as I thought it would be. Initially it feels like you can't even squat your body weight due to the soreness, but the pain subsides a bit.

Pancakes

Is foam rolling your ankles even a thing? It's meant for soft tissue. You're not really supposed to put pressure directly on your bones/joints.

I'm not a wise man.

Leeness

I remember going through this. It doesn't really go away that quickly. I remember having to just workout anyway, as painful as I thought it would be. Initially it feels like you can't even squat your body weight due to the soreness, but the pain subsides a bit.

I tried and fell over lol

Usually I do recover from the "first workout back" pains pretty quickly... I'm hoping tomorrow will be better. Even if I'm in pain tomorrow, it should be better than right now, because I can barely move my legs haha. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom