• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I haven't tried face pulls, sounds like I'm missing out.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite exercises. I put it on back day but I know others do it with their shoulders.

Thanks guys.. eating more is exactly what I've started doing recently, as with finding a workout partner too I'm pushing myself harder and doing more compound lifts.

Definitely man. You've already made incredible progress. Caloric surplus and heavy lifting is up next for you.

mvtn

Can you give us height and weight?

If you need to lose 30lbs start Couch to 5k, if you need to lose significantly more then you might want to start with just walking.

178cm, 85kg

Also, I've forgot to mention that I can't stand vegetables, which is a huge problem I assume.

mdsfx

I've forgot to mention that I can't stand vegetables, which is a huge problem I assume.
I would try to find some that you like. Just keep trying new ones. Cherry/grape tomatoes save the day for me. I love them. Nature's candy.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Force yourself to eat things you don't care for. Eating is mostly about health rather than joy. You don't like broccoli? Tough. Grab some water and choke it down. Unless the stuff makes you physically ill I would make sure you eat it. There are almost always alternatives but if you claim to dislike all veggies you're screwed. There are no alternatives.

freshair

Is chicken breast the best ratio of cal:protein:cost?

It seems so but I've been eating it for like 4 months straight now (yay cut!) and I'm running out of (quick) ways to prepare it and was thinking about switching to a different daily protein, but everything else doesn't seem to compare. Am I right in that assumption?

BumRush

Also, not only are there dozens of vegetables, but you can cook them so many different ways. Don't like steamed broccoli (sinner), fuck it...sautee them in a light oil. Asparagus on the grill, baked brussel sprouts with olive oil and bacon, etc. etc. etc.

COME ON DUDE.

mdsfx

Asparagus on the grill, baked brussel sprouts with olive oil and bacon...
Oh yeah, two of my favorites. I eat these regularly and love them.

Also sauteed fresh green beans with olive oil and garlic

Edit: my wife also makes spaghetti noodles using some veggies like squash and zucchini. You would be surprised how good they can be.

It seems so but I've been eating it for like 4 months straight now (yay cut!) and I'm running out of (quick) ways to prepare it and was thinking about switching to a different daily protein, but everything else doesn't seem to compare. Am I right in that assumption?

There's tuna, and you don't have to cook it but yuck

Turkey breast is actually the king of that one... but it's even harder to make taste nice. There are plenty of cuts of pork and beef that would suffice as well though.

Also Salmon and Tuna.

Since we're doing squat form checks, I'll post mine today. Barely over a plate at 165, but we all progress in our own time, right? :p I think I'm breaking parallel. Can I count this as a PR?

https://youtu.be/XS21DFtUeNE

I'd say that was 165x4 + 165x1, but it looks legit to me for a PR. :)

Azulsky

You guys just aren't eating enough chicken.

I have tried ground turkey and it's just too flavorless. Chicken Breast with bone I can get to the right flavor and moisture to eat on a daily basis for a decent period of time. I think it has just the right amount of fat.

mdsfx

Any of you guys eat deli turkey? I eat a whole-cut Dietz & Watson deli turkey that I love, but it tastes good enough to make me think there's something bad about it that I don't know about...

Bowser

Ok guys need some routine advice. So ive been attempting 5/3/1 and dont really know what accessory exercises to do. Here is a rundown of what I have so far

Squat Day
Squats
Leg Extensions
Leg Press
Calf Raises
Hamstring curls

Bench Day
Flat Bench
Dumbbell chest press
Chest press(machine)
Incline Chest Press
Low Rows
Cable Crossovers

Overhead Press Day

Military Press
Shoulder Press(machine)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Shrugs

Deadlift Day
Deadlifts
Romanian deadlift
Back rows
Glute kickbacks
Low row
Barbell shrugs

I don't really know if the supplement movement I'm doing are even working the areas they're supposed to. Feel free to criticize and recommend anything. Thanks

Too much on 5/3/1. As others have said, change it to 2-3 accessory lifts at most. Personally my favorite template is triumvirate. Starting my 4th cycle of 5/3/1 tonight, this is what I do:

Bench 5/3/1
DB Chest Press 5x15
DB Kroc Rows 5x10

Squat 5/3/1
Leg Press 5x15
Leg Curl 5x10

Military Press 5/3/1
Dips 5x15
Pull-ups 5x10

Deadlift 5/3/1
Good Mornings 5x12
Hanging Leg Raise 5x10

I have tried ground turkey and it's just too flavorless. Chicken Breast with bone I can get to the right flavor and moisture to eat on a daily basis for a decent period of time. I think it has just the right amount of fat.

Why not throw in some taco seasoning or the like in the ground turkey?

Ground turkey with taco seasoning or something similar with some melted cheese on top can be really good.

edit: On 5/3/1 it doesn't make sense to do a ton of accessory work, and that work should be rotated so you make sure you are hitting any deficiencies that you notice in your main lifts.

Azulsky

This reminds me I'm running out of my $2/lb chicken I got for sale on memorial day.

Should have just bought a chest freezer and filled it up

bchamba

Since we're doing squat form checks, I'll post mine today. Barely over a plate at 165, but we all progress in our own time, right? :p I think I'm breaking parallel. Can I count this as a PR?

Definitely way below parallel on all those reps, nice PR!

Also, were these intended to be pause squats? You had a noticeable pause in the hole each time.

Cooper

I'd say that was 165x4 + 165x1, but it looks legit to me for a PR. :)

Yeah, I really wanted to make sure I got the last rep in and probably over-rested. But given my previous record for 5 was 145, the various 1RM calculators still show 4x165 as adding about 15 to my 1RM. I'll take it. :) And I have my goal for my next squat session!

bchamba said:
Also, were these intended to be pause squats? You had a noticeable pause in the hole each time.

Not so much trying for pause squats as much as anti-bounce squats. I just want to make sure I'm not "cheating" by using momentum, so I tend to have a break in the transition points of many of my movements.

BumRush

ILoveBish

Want to thank the last few form check video posters for getting the aspect ratio right. Good job.

This reminds me I'm running out of my $2/lb chicken I got for sale on memorial day.

Should have just bought a chest freezer and filled it up

That's exactly what I do. Big freezer is essential.

Yeah, I really wanted to make sure I got the last rep in and probably over-rested.

I'd count that as 5 reps.

This is bullshit. He said he wants to run
Well, it seemed he was more interested in losing weight.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running to reduce fat or getting in shape.
Except for the punishment on the knee and ankle joints, and running in general being a injuryfest.

Don't shit on what he's asking for and offer him something completely different.
I was trying to help.

Thing is, half the battle is finding something you want to do. If I'd have gone down the running road (for instance) vs cycling then I'd have stopped working out a long, long time ago. I really, really hate running... but horses for course and all that.

mdsfx

It's true that running is hard on the body. Just progress slowly/naturally and if something hurts allow yourself time to recover. It can be a great experience.

Also, proper running shoes can make a big difference in running comfortably. A running store can analyze how your foot lands and size you up with the right shoe.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, it seemed he was more interested in losing weight.

Except for the punishment on the knee and ankle joints, and running in general being a injuryfest.

I was trying to help.

1. He expressed interest in losing weight and a main desire to do it through running.

2. Anything especially lifting weights is going to cause punishment on joints, tendons, and muscles. Anything can be an injury fest.

3. If you don't know what you're talking about, or are going to disregard someone's expressed desire in their post to meet an end, don't.

Looked pretty damned good to me!

Cooper

Thanks everyone. :)

For all the lurkers and first-time posters, this is why it's great to check in here. I want to do another squat session now!

With 5/3/1, you are mainly using it as a strength program so focus your accessory lifts around that. I personally think it sucks for hypertrophy. Even doing BBB, there isn't enough isolated movements for me.

Astral

So I did deadlifts for the first time today. My lower back feels kinda funny, almost numb. That's not normal is it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I did deadlifts for the first time today. My lower back feels kinda funny, almost numb. That's not normal is it?

No, next time record it. You're probably jacked up on form. Most people are. Ice it and take some ibuprophen and think about going to the doctor if it's actually numb.

Astral

No, next time record it. You're probably jacked up on form. Most people are. Ice it and take some ibuprophen and think about going to the doctor if it's actually numb.

Ok it feels a little better now. I think I may have used my back to lift a little too much and may have gone too heavy for my first time.

Flo_Evans

Problem: I lost 20 or so pounds... Now my ass shrunk and my tailbone is bothering me all day from sitting on it.

I feel like I need some kind of brazalian butt workout or something (ass implants?) to be comfortable.

Ok it feels a little better now. I think I may have used my back to lift a little too much and may have gone too heavy for my first time.
This is a good video, if a bit long. It's very important to just hold the weight with your back and arms and actually get the bar off the ground with your hamstrings and butt. Once you get past your knees then you're actually adding force with your lower back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPtbHGiGCIU

Few things.

Nothing is flavorless with the magical wonder that is hot sauce.

I had tuna today, put it in a whole wheat pita. It was good.

I hate to admit it, but I'm bad about eating veggies too. I usually don't actually. It's bad. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Most people do this, and especially over exaggerate the lockout. You want to practice getting tight, getting the slack out of the bar, gettimg your chest up and driving with your legs. When the bar passes your knees you want t focus on bringing your hips through NOT focusing on your lower back like the guy above just said. Two cues help this. Imagine fucking the bar, or imagine someone is about to ram a barbell up your ass, and you're not into that sort of thing.

ILoveBish

I don't think I'm fully recovered from this weekend and yesterday. Felt really weak today at the gym, even tho its deload week, just didn't have much in the tank. Hopefully this will pass soon but thankfully is happening now instead of one of the main weeks.

BumRush

Do you do AT LEAST one warmup set when you deadlift? If not, you should from now on. I usually do 2. One with just the bar and one with 135 lbs. Super light, but it helps me get my form (and mind) right.

BumRush

Most people do this, and especially over exaggerate the lockout. You want to practice getting tight, getting the slack out of the bar, gettimg your chest up and driving with your legs. When the bar passes your knees you want t focus on bringing your hips through NOT focusing on your lower back like the guy above just said. Two cues help this. Imagine fucking the bar, or imagine someone is about to ram a barbell up your ass, and you're not into that sort of thing.

lol, was about to add this as well. It's sick but it's the exact motion you're going for.

mkenyon

Banned
Problem: I lost 20 or so pounds... Now my ass shrunk and my tailbone is bothering me all day from sitting on it.

I feel like I need some kind of brazalian butt workout or something (ass implants?) to be comfortable.
You just need to learn proper posture. Sit on the backs of your thighs/lower butt, rather than slouching back. Had the same issue myself, and took like literally 2 years to really stop hurting :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom