• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you close to 1500 dude? Damn

If you're even close to 1500 you're as strong or stronger than me and should be competing.

As for federations assuming you're drug free NASA and 100% RAW.

Damn, Duff...1500...
I'm not there yet! But soon, soon. I'm drug free and I'm looking at schedules for 100% raw meetings, I just don't know if the timing will be right early to mid next year. I might not post here often, but I do draw alot of inspiration from this place. Also my squat fucking suuuuucks.

Edit: I blame my long legs for bad squats, even though that's a shitty cop out.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm not there yet! But soon, soon. I'm drug free and I'm looking at schedules for 100% raw meetings, I just don't know if the timing will be right early to mid next year. I might not post here often, but I do draw alot of inspiration from this place. Also my squat fucking suuuuucks.

Edit: I blame my long legs for bad squats, even though that's a shitty cop out.
What's close because when I add mine up (550DL, 450 Squat, 340ish BP) I'm only at 1340 and while that may seem close to many inexperienced lifters it is in fact a freaking long ways off in actuality.

mdsfx

What's close because when I add mine up (550DL, 450 Squat, 340ish BP) I'm only at 1340 and while that may seem close to many inexperienced lifters it is in fact a freaking long ways off in actuality.
Damn, I just want to hit 1,000 one day. I've actually not been keeping track:

Squat 260 (estimate)
Bench 240
Dead 315 (estimate)

815 :(

I'm a tiny bit higher than you but not by much. I shouldve reephrased what I said. With the gains I've made in the last six months I estimate that I'll be at or around 1500 by mid next year (very optimistic) . That might not be realistic but damnit I'm gonna push it.i still want to compete if I don't hit that number but mentally I want to get there. All I do is lift, work, eat, and sleep. Not even with someone. I want to get there damnit.

Cooter

I'm a tiny bit higher than you but not by much. I shouldve reephrased what I said. With the gains I've made in the last six months I estimate that I'll be at or around 1500 by mid next year (very optimistic) . That might not be realistic but damnit I'm gonna push it.i still want to compete if I don't hit that number but mentally I want to get there. All I do is lift, work, eat, and sleep. Not even with someone. I want to get there damnit.
I hear ya. I was at 1425 when I was bulking this past winter but I was definitely hitting a plateau torwards the end. I'm not trying to discourage you at all but just know the higher you get the harder you will be fighting for every 10 pound increase. Go get it man! Achieving 1,500 is a huge accomplishment and worth being proud of.

ILoveBish

I hit 1105 and I'm thrilled I even did that. That plus my 200lb ohp was very joyful. To get there while cutting the entire time, still thrills me. I'm scared on what's going to happen to me once I start bulking and go after more strength gains. Terrified I'll go over board. Chasing gains can be very addicting.

I hear ya. I was at 1425 when I was bulking this past winter but I was definitely hitting a plateau torwards the end. I'm not trying to discourage you at all but just know the higher you get the harder you will be fighting for every 10 pound increase. Go get it man! Achieving 1,500 is a huge accomplishment and worth being proud of.
Thank you dude. Seriously. You and Brolic are so inspirational to me. All of you mean more to me than you know. You push me everyday to be a better lifter and a better person.

BumRush

Damn, I just want to hit 1,000 one day. I've actually not been keeping track:

Squat 260 (estimate)
Bench 240
Dead 315 (estimate)

815 :(

Mike, that's very good for your weight (155 right), especially given that you're a hybrid lifter / runner.

If you wanted to, I think you could add some weight to that squat.

entremet

Any of you mess with Guillotine presses?

A get a great pectoral stretch, but you really gotta go slow and know your limits.

SeanR1221

That's awesome Duff. Keep grinding for that 1500 man.

I was super happy when I hit 1k. I'm no where near that now with my shoulder and bench. Oh well, I'll be back to it in time :)

bchamba

If you want to compete just do it. There's a lot you'll learn from your first meet in regards to making weight, attempt selection, properly timing warmups during flights, and more. Go do a meet to get some experience that way you're more prepared when you try for a 1500 total.

mdsfx

Mmmm... 4 over easy eggs, 4 pieces of bacon, 3 large pancakes, sipping on coffee while playing a little Mortal Kombat. What a great way to start a Saturday.

Perfect time to shoot my sweet 16 entry...
Edit: OK I need to stop. Already put an hour into this ridiculous idea lol

mdsfx

Mike, that's very good for your weight (155 right), especially given that you're a hybrid lifter / runner.

If you wanted to, I think you could add some weight to that squat.

That's the plan after my race. Bulking... i can't believe it. I wonder how much I will progress knowing what I do now about diet. Can't wait to see.

X-Frame

Question for everyone in here, how many of you do regular mobility work (e.g. principles and techniques seen in MobilityWOD such as using a foam roller, lacrosse ball, etc)?

Powercast

Is anyone here folowing USAPL Raw nationals? Jesse Norris just squatted 332kg (733lbs) @ 93kg class lol He's 21y old, just out of this world lifter. And he's probably going to pull 800+ lol

mdsfx

Is anyone here folowing USAPL Raw nationals? Jesse Norris just squatted 332kg (733lbs) @ 93kg class lol He's 21y old, just out of this world lifter. And he's probably going to pull 800+ lol

wow, just caught the video. That's insane.

Wait, how was this squat NOT low enough for the judges?!:
SNcenVj.png

mkenyon

Banned
This is a really big deal for me.

Even when I was at my former peak performance as an 18 y/o, I could never do a proper wide grip pull up. Could squat 500, bench 325, but since I was also ~250-260 lbs built for D Line, I couldn't do a pull up.

I just did 6 (3-2-1).

Fuck ya.

mdsfx

This is a really big deal for me.

Even when I was at my former peak performance as an 18 y/o, I could never do a proper wide grip pull up. Could squat 500, bench 325, but since I was also ~250-260 lbs built for D Line, I couldn't do a pull up.

I just did 6 (3-2-1).

Fuck ya.

Nice! And holy shit at those squat and bench numbers.

mkenyon

Banned
Nice! And holy shit at those squat and bench numbers.
Hah, ya. Where I grew up football was serious business. Started in the weight room when I was 8 or 9. Jr High and High School football programs had all players in the weight room for a class period called "sports development".

That combined with a 4000-5000 calorie diet can do wonders for an adolescent.

Cooter

Hah, ya. Where I grew up football was serious business. Started in the weight room when I was 8 or 9. Jr High and High School football programs had all players in the weight room for a class period called "sports development".

That combined with a 4000-5000 calorie diet can do wonders for an adolescent.
You were lifting weights at 8 or nine? I'm not sure that is a good idea but I don't proclaim to be an expert on this stuff. I have always heard puberty is when weight training can begin. Hmm

Great job on the pull ups BTW!

bchamba

Lol USAPL gon USAPL. Since it's at nationals I wonder if they have international judges there for possible world records. International judges tend to be stricter, but either way looks like a bad call from the front which is classic USAPL/IPF behavior.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's what I assumed, and yeah...bad call

Lol USAPL gon USAPL. Since it's at nationals I wonder if they have international judges there for possible world records. International judges tend to be stricter, but either way looks like a bad call from the front which is classic USAPL/IPF behavior.

I remember Steve P telling me guys would cheat by practicing getting in and out of the hole really fast to trick the judges.

Layne Norton just posted that they have been hard all day on everyone. So there's that.

mkenyon

Banned
Question for everyone in here, how many of you do regular mobility work (e.g. principles and techniques seen in MobilityWOD such as using a foam roller, lacrosse ball, etc)?
Every single time I lift.
You were lifting weights at 8 or nine? I'm not sure that is a good idea but I don't proclaim to be an expert on this stuff. I have always heard puberty is when weight training can begin. Hmm

Great job on the pull ups BTW!
Yeah, the pre-teen stuff was all machine work, probably still not the best for me. I didn't start on barbells and dumbbells until I was a teen.

bchamba

Layne Norton just posted that they have been hard all day on everyone. So there's that.

Yea just saw that. I guess like in other sports you have to adjust to how the refs are calling things. Since he got red lighted on the second attempt for depth he should have buried the third. Too many close calls like this though. Instead of having a panel of judges to appeal to there should be some sort of instant replay at least during nationals and worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom