• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I've only told a few people here but I'm starting a blog/website about nutrition/lifting/IF etc. It's been a dream of mine for years though I know it's kinda trendy nowadays I guess. Anyway I don't care. I like to write about this stuff so I'll do it. I'll get it up and running as soon as I can decide on the name :D
I'm still open to suggestions

Anyway I just finished a rough draft of my first post and it came to around 1500 words. It's about how much protein a lifter needs and it's titled "Why you should eat less protein" (or something similar). Don't know if it's any good but it's only the first one so I guess I need to give myself time. And I wrote it pretty fast. All the stuff just poured out of my head. Still need to get someone to read it before putting it online..

I'd love to read it.

mdsfx

OK, I never thought this day would come, but I've decided it's time to start bulking. Starting with 4 weeks to see how it goes.

So damn scared to see myself gain weight. It will definitely be a mental challenge to not freak out as I gain some fat. It's almost like I have a fear of not being able to lose it again. I know how stupid that sounds...

HERE GOES NOTHING.

Should probably take a bunch of measurements today and note my 1RMs. Say goodbye to the sub-160lb me (hopefully).

OK, I never thought this day would come, but I've decided it's time to start bulking. Starting with 4 weeks to see how it goes.

So damn scared to see myself gain weight. It will definitely be a mental challenge to not freak out as I gain some fat. It's almost like I have a fear of not being able to lose it again. I know how stupid that sounds...

HERE GOES NOTHING.

Should probably take a bunch of measurements today and note my 1RMs. Say goodbye to the sub-160lb me (hopefully).

nice bro, I am starting my 4 week mini cut.

Perfect timing. We can compare notes. End it just before Thanksgiving.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

HERE GOES NOTHING.

Should probably take a bunch of measurements today and note my 1RMs.
Expect the worse (fat gain) and lift heavy. Don't doubt your ability to lose all the fat you are about to gain otherwise you will end up cutting your bulk short because the loss of abs and general tightness will scare you to quit. Commit to 2.5-3 months and just go with it. Wear lots of tshirts and don't look in the mirror. lol That's my advice. Focus on your strength gains almost entirely.

mkenyon

Banned

HERE GOES NOTHING.

On the bright side, you will be able to eat lots of amazing food.

Going from IIFYM to IA
ll
FYM

BumRush

HERE GOES NOTHING.

Very nice! Eat literally whatever you want for a week or two. Get that out of your system and then go IIFYM at a surplus.

sphinx

the piano man
Congrats Bumrush ^_^ well deserved the title of "Mrs. MKenyon Dream Body, Fitgaf edition 2015"

Wear lots of tshirts and don't look in the mirror.

this is probably the best advice ever. not only for bulking but also for when you want to cut.

seeing your arms/delts/etc get smaller while you lose the weight and attain the definition is terribly discouraging too, so its easy to quit and maintain/bulk again.

the main elements are:

.- The workout routine
.- The food
.- The scale

period

no mirror, no pics, no "omg people won't think I Look awesome", no second guessing.

ILoveBish

Great day at the gym. On weeks where I won't be 72 hour fasting, I'm now going 5 days a week to the gym. Slowly cootering my routine. Today was bench, and I weighed in at 221.4 when I woke up, got to the gym after being awake 22 hours, and hit 3x175, 3x200 and 3x225. Followed by a 10x165. Hit every rep and feels amazing to bench over your body weight for reps.

Cooter

Oh Bish. lol. If you're gonna go that route make sure your sessions are short and sweet. It's a delicate balance.

Cooter

It'll be compound plus 1-2 accessories only.
Well that's pretty much my routine. Tuesday and Friday are lower body days and I rotate a heavy 3 day split with a light 3 day split in between.

Back/traps
Shoulders/tris
Chest/bis

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Yep you're looking fantastic in that competition man. Amazing.

I was never able to cut body fat that low. This is the farthest I had gotten when cutting, and I just felt like there was something I didn't know that kept me from getting any lower:

That is, in my opinion, the best condition I've ever been in (I don't look like that now). Looking back, I almost never treated myself or had serious refeeds/cheat days and was doing intense 60-90-minute cardio+lifting circuits. Think I was eating 1600-1700 calories per day.

Not sure what my happiness level was at that time, but I doubt I could have sustained that even if I had tried. I remember feeling hungry often.

That's a very very good overall result. Don't think it would be worth going through extra hell for shredding just a tad more. How long have you been lifting for?

This was my summer cutting result. Right now I've put on a good 6-7 pounds compared to the pics and lifting 5-6 times a week because I went from eating 2600-2700 cals to 3200. Training more though and lifting way more as a result.

ILoveBish

Well that's pretty much my routine. Tuesday and Friday are lower body days and I rotate a heavy 3 day split with a light 3 day split in between.

Back/traps
Shoulders/tris
Chest/bis

I think I have your routine post bookmarked somewhere. I'll reference it some more. Won't be going the full 6 or 7 day however till I get a setup at home.

mdsfx

That's a very very good overall result. Don't think it would be worth going through extra hell for shredding just a tad more. How long have you been lifting for?

This was my summer cutting result. Right now I've put on a good 6-7 pounds compared to the pics and lifting 5-6 times a week because I went from eating 2600-2700 cals to 3200. Training more though and lifting way more as a result.

Oh shit, you're THAT guy lol. Yep, you look fuckin awesome.

I've been lifting seriously for over 3 years, but I didn't have a grip on diet at all until more recently, which explains why I was spinning my wheels...

If I could get 15 more pounds of muscle, which is a lot to go, I think I could get to where I want to be.

Cooter

I think I have your routine post bookmarked somewhere. I'll reference it some more. Won't be going the full 6 or 7 day however till I get a setup at home.
This is a newer version of an old routine. Just let me know when you're ready and I'll shoot you a PM.

______

Sacul looks like a professional model! If that's the look you were going for you nailed it!

mkenyon

Banned

You look fucking fantastic there. Good work.

ILoveBish

This is a newer version of an old routine. Just let me know when you're ready and I'll shoot you a PM.

______

Sacul looks like a professional model! If that's the look you were going for you nailed it!

Will do. And sacul comes back right when no one expected him. How old are you sacul? And were you ever overweight/out of shape at any point in your life?

BumRush

Sacul, woooow! Looking insane dude!

Tried sumo DL for the first time ever today. Great exercise that I will be adding into my routine for sure. I've always relied on stiff leg DL, good mornings and power cleans to work on my weak hamstrings...no idea why I waited this long.

Will try sumo high pulls next time out. Seems like a fun exercise (read: brutal)

Cooter

Incline DB curls with extra wide Fat Gripz for sets of 12-15 are excruciating. Carry on...

mkenyon

Banned
Tried sumo DL for the first time ever today.
PtaDiDd.png

https://youtu.be/h7GJWM91ecc?t=263

It's meant to be.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Your form is literally perfect in all of your videos. Have you ever considered training people at some point down the line?

Also, lol at 335x10 looking like you didn't break a sweat.

Edit: was hoping you'd swoop in at the last second and steal MKenyons wife from under our noses

I'd love to train people, but I doubt they want me training them. I'd only want serious people. And lol, I thought about blessing you all with a serious dad bod pic.

BumRush

I'd love to train people, but I doubt they want me training them. I'd only want serious people.

I think that's exactly why people would want you to train them. Just a thought obviously, but your form is in line with any professional lifter you see out there, and in many cases, better.

Hey guys, I think I found the pic that Brolic was going to submit.

Yeah, he would have taken the contest.

LOL, it wouldn't be a Fitness OT without Szu posting the "Brolic is a Gorilla" pic

Cooter

I had to do a double take but quickly realized that isn't him. That gentleman is eating vegetables. Brolic sticks strictly to beef-o-roni.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I had to do a double take but quickly realized that isn't him. That gentleman is eating vegetables. Brolic sticks strictly to beef-o-roni.

Damn straight. 240lbs of beefaroni fueled beastmode.

I think that's exactly why people would want you to train them. Just a thought obviously, but your form is in line with any professional lifter you see out there, and in many cases, better.

LOL, it wouldn't be a Fitness OT without Szu posting the "Brolic is a Gorilla" pic

Lol, thanks man.

That SSB looks really cool. How different does it feel compared to a traditional barbell on your back?

It's great for shoulders and its akin to high bar squatting. It's hard because it's constantly trying to fold you over, which forces you to squat better. IMO it's way harder than conventional squatting, aside from being easier on shoulders.

Majestic.

Cooter

I tried bulking with IF and it wasn't very enjoyable. It can work but it's much easier eating a thousand or so calories for lunch.

mdsfx

Man...bulking + IF seems like a lot of extra work. How much of a surplus are you going to do? ~600 calories?

I tried bulking with IF and it wasn't very enjoyable. It can work but it's much easier eating a thousand or so calories for lunch.
Doing 750 above 'sedentary' maintenance since I'm not dropping my cardio. 2750/day. Don't want to jump up too much too quickly.

BumRush

Doing 750 above 'sedentary' maintenance since I'm not dropping my cardio. 2750/day. Don't want to jump up too much too quickly.

Yup, that makes sense. Anything more would be...uncivilized

Edit: start there. Just know that this won't add more than a couple of pounds in 4 weeks

ILoveBish

2750 does seem low, but start there and track, looking at weekly averages.

And i'd not want to bulk with IF. I struggle eating 1400 calories in a sitting at this point.

Irobot82

Squatted my body weight tonight. Hells yeah!

Squat 5x5 @ 195lb
Bench 5x5 @ 120lb
Pendlay Row 5x5 @ 120lb

Feels good. Getting very close to two plates on my squat.

mdsfx

2750 with your activity probably won't do much. Real talk.

2750 does seem low, but start there and track, looking at weekly averages.

And i'd not want to bulk with IF. I struggle eating 1400 calories in a sitting at this point.
OK I will forget the IF. Trying the 2750 for a week then will adjust. Honestly, I'm a little worried about overshooting. Would rather increase incrementally at the expense of it taking longer.

Also will be doing shorter, but more intense cardio sessions to burn less calories, but maintain cardiovascular health. Plus I fucking love running so... I would rather eat to make up the calories than give it up.

Thanks guys. I might have to ask for advice here and there along the way. Not used to this!

Szu

Dammit, you're right. I should have known something was wrong. I mean this guy doesn't have nearly enough facial hair.

mkenyon

Banned
Mrs. mkenyon offered to record my squat. I feel like something still isn't quite right when I hit the bottom, was hoping for some Brolic advice. Will post Thursday night.

despire

There was nothing to do at work today so I ended up typing a second blog post. About making your dieting enjoyable and why that is important. I actually feel pretty good about this one. Was able to reflect a lot on my own experiences.

mdsfx

Jesus... a 40/30/30 split from 3k calories puts me at 300g of carbs a day. That's... Ridiculous. Is that really necessary? Can I substitute more fat for some of those carbs, or would that work against me?

Any particular reason you're going for percentages rather than aiming to hit your ideal protein / fat intakes and getting the rest from carbs? As for replacing, you can, but there's probably no advantage to it.

Unrelated, after my week or so off I just did my first session of greasing the groove for the day and holy shit it feels like I've not lifted in months. Really not looking forward to the weights later.

mdsfx

Any particular reason you're going for percentages rather than aiming to hit your ideal protein / fat intakes and getting the rest from carbs? As for replacing, you can, but there's probably no advantage to it.
If i did that I would probably assume 150g protein max and 100g fat, which puts me at only 1500 calories, taking my carbs up to 50% lol. Ugh man this is going to be... Interesting!

mdsfx

Unrelated, after my week or so off I just did my first session of greasing the groove for the day and holy shit it feels like I've not lifted in months. Really not looking forward to the weights later.
I skipped leg day last week due to a minor running injury. Let's just say that everything feels heavier today!

despire

Jesus... a 40/30/30 split from 3k calories puts me at 300g of carbs a day. That's... Ridiculous. Is that really necessary? Can I substitute more fat for some of those carbs, or would that work against me?

300g of carbs isn't that much actually. You can easily get that much if you eat carb dense foods.

It's advisable to keep the carbs higher when on a surplus since dietary fat is most easily converted to body fat.

mdsfx

300g of carbs isn't that much actually. You can easily get that much if you eat carb dense foods.

It's advisable to keep the carbs higher when on a surplus since dietary fat is most easily converted to body fat.
Im used to whole grain oats/rice and sweet potato, so shouldn't be a problem. Just not used to that quantity. Any disadvantages of also using fruit to hit that number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom