• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNut

do i have to do a lot of cardio to cut fat? i am really enjoying eating clean and hitting PB's almost every week, but i really don't want to be spending lots of time on the treadmill or bike etc.

Does cardio = fat loss or can i still lose fat by lifting?

mdsfx

do i have to do a lot of cardio to cut fat? i am really enjoying eating clean and hitting PB's almost every week, but i really don't want to be spending lots of time on the treadmill or bike etc.

I'll take a stab at this.

The most important aspect is your diet. You want to be in a defecit with enough protein and fat to continue burning fat. In GENERAL, cardio will burn more calories than lifting, but if you create a calorie defecit using a proper diet, you'll still make progress without needing cardio.

HIIT is supposed to be very good for burning lots of calories in a short amount of time, or more specifically, actually helps you burn calories longer after your workout is done, but it is also very intense. It's cardio, but it may appeal to you since it takes less time, although more strenuous.

I continue to lift while cutting since it SEEMS to help me keep most of my strength. Not sure how true that really is though.

Edit: I should also add that at my best appearance my workouts were a combination of lifting and cardio, where instead of taking rests in between lifting sets, I would keep moving by doing anything: running, jump rope, whatever. It somewhat creates a HIIT session with lifting weights. Just be cautious with form on compound lifts when winded. It's easy to get hurt that way.

despire

Im used to whole grain oats/rice and sweet potato, so shouldn't be a problem. Just not used to that quantity. Any disadvantages of also using fruit to hit that number?

I'd guess it's not a super good idea to get most of your carbs from fruits (because of fructose) if you are bulking. Some fruit is good of course, especially after lifting/cardio. Just don't go overboard.

BumRush

Mike, best piece of advice I can give you since a strict diet doesn't seem to be your problem...eat as much of what you like for the first week. Don't worry about macros or percentages. Cutting is strict as hell and your body could use the fun. I'm sure your wife will love it too.

mdsfx

Mike, best piece of advice I can give you since a strict diet doesn't seem to be your problem...eat as much of what you like for the first week. Don't worry about macros or percentages. Cutting is strict as hell and your body could use the fun. I'm sure your wife will love it too.
Lol you have no idea how true that is. I did try her scratch-made chocolate fudge/peanut butter brownies last night :) she loves baking, and therefore hates my diet with a passion.

BumRush

Lol you have no idea how true that is. I did try her scratch-made chocolate fudge/peanut butter brownies last night :) she loves baking, and therefore hates my diet with a passion.

Trust me, I know lol. I'm bulking now and my wife is ecstatic. Plus it feels damn good to eat whatever I want. I'm doing ~4000 calories and no cardio except what I get from supersets.

SeanR1221

My missus hates it when I'm bulking, because she wants to eat like I'm eating.

Yeah my wife isn't even a fan of cheat meals. At the most, a french toast or pancake breakfast.

It's great for shoulders and its akin to high bar squatting. It's hard because it's constantly trying to fold you over, which forces you to squat better. IMO it's way harder than conventional squatting, aside from being easier on shoulders.

Nice. I want to try one. I haven't gotten my ass to Iron Sport in a while (school takes up most of my free time on the weekends) but I'll be finished in 8 weeks.

entremet

If you control for calories, lifting is way better. I have academic studies if you want proof.

I posted one last week.

Do cardio for fun, not for weight loss.

entremet

Cardio is great if you want to eat more though. ROM NOM NOM.

Well, at your levels of cardio lol.

But for a beginner jogging 30 minutes 3x per week. That's only around 240 calories. Same as walking I believe. A few cookies here and there and that deficit is gone.

mdsfx

If you control for calories, lifting is way better. I have academic studies if you want proof.

I posted one last week.

Do cardio for fun, not for weight loss.

Interesting. I have never heard of this.

Well, at your levels of cardio lol.

But for a beginner jogging 30 minutes 3x per week. That's only around 240 calories. Same as walking I believe. A few cookies here and there and that deficit is gone.

Yeah i think if you are going to do cardio for weight loss it should be vigorous. Running at a descent pace can burn off about 100 calories (1 mile) in 8-9 minutes. Of course, if you only run 1 mile then this doesn't get you much.

entremet

Interesting. I have never heard of this.

Yeah if you are going to do cardio for weight loss it should be vigorous. Running at a descent pace can burn off about 100 calories (1 mile) in 8-9 minutes. Of course, if you only run 1 mile then this doesn't get you much.

Yeah, but a beginner looking into weight loss and totally out of shape, probably won't be at an 8 minute mile. Most won't even be able to jog 5 minutes without losing their breath. Not to mention lack of endurance.

Weight training would be more effective.

mdsfx

Yeah, but a beginner looking into weight loss and totally out of shape, probably won't be at an 8 minute mile. Most won't even be able to jog 5 minutes without losing their breath.

Weight training would be more effective.
Good point.

Edit: just had flash backs to the first week I started running. Yeah... No.

In a small way I'm sort of disappointed that I wasn't going for the full 24 hours in the end. It's better to finish faster of course, but as it stands I can't (honestly) say that I've done a 24 hour ride. lol

JoeNut

I'll take a stab at this.

The most important aspect is your diet. You want to be in a defecit with enough protein and fat to continue burning fat. In GENERAL, cardio will burn more calories than lifting, but if you create a calorie defecit using a proper diet, you'll still make progress without needing cardio.

HIIT is supposed to be very good for burning lots of calories in a short amount of time, or more specifically, actually helps you burn calories longer after your workout is done, but it is also very intense. It's cardio, but it may appeal to you since it takes less time, although more strenuous.

I continue to lift while cutting since it SEEMS to help me keep most of my strength. Not sure how true that really is though.

Edit: I should also add that at my best appearance my workouts were a combination of lifting and cardio, where instead of taking rests in between lifting sets, I would keep moving by doing anything: running, jump rope, whatever. It somewhat creates a HIIT session with lifting weights. Just be cautious with form on compound lifts when winded. It's easy to get hurt that way.

thanks that's appreciated, i mean if the point of cardio is to get your heart rate elevated and keep it there (which is my understanding of cardio) then i feel like my lifting is doing that anyway, i have been doing a bit of cardio like biking after i've been doing bench, DL etc. and according to the heart rate monitor on the bike my heart rate is in the 150's as soon as i get on.

Cheers for the advice, my diet is clean at the moment and i'm actually really enjoying chicken/tuna salads etc.

El Daniel

Training for muscle ups proved to be even harder than I thought. I knew the explosive pull ups would be hard but the second part of the excercise (hanging on top of the bar) was killing for my forearms and wrists (and even abs). Not the same as dipping at all (what I initially thought it would be like). So training my forearms now.

mkenyon

Banned
thanks that's appreciated, i mean if the point of cardio is to get your heart rate elevated and keep it there (which is my understanding of cardio) then i feel like my lifting is doing that anyway, i have been doing a bit of cardio like biking after i've been doing bench, DL etc. and according to the heart rate monitor on the bike my heart rate is in the 150's as soon as i get on.

Cheers for the advice, my diet is clean at the moment and i'm actually really enjoying chicken/tuna salads etc.
It's not all about heart rate though, as the calories required to constantly propel yourself is pretty high. It's a combination of heart rate and energy used.

Finished my GTG stuff for the day, dear god I'm weak. You're supposed to not go anywhere near failure but I could barely get the reps on the pullups / chinups.

I'm going to assume it's because I've been off the creatine for a week, and that it'll all come magically back by the end of the week when my body is nicely creatined up again.

BumRush

I'm at 2100 a day and it can be torture for sure.

Stay the course. Stay the course...

In other news, I found the S-tier lighting/mirror. The Starbucks bathroom. Seriously. I'm about to pull the lighting fixture and mirror off the wall and take them home

Seanny, that's the most definition I've ever seen on you. Lookin' great!!

ILoveBish

Sleep schedule fixed, at 220.2 this morning, so close to 219, I know I'll just happen soon enough. Have to be confident in the calorie intake and stay the course.

All this bulk and cardio talk doe...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Keep going Sean. Your up and down transformations are 2nd to no one! Abs may seem like they are far away but they're not. Spend some time at maintenance and then kick it into the final stage for summer.

Sleep schedule fixed, at 220.2 this morning, so close to 219, I know I'll just happen soon enough. Have to be confident in the calorie intake and stay the course.

Yeah! That time of year. Cold weather brings out the bulking in most people. I'm actually in the middle of a 5 day mini bulk (aka keeping my sanity) right now. About to hit heavy squats, rack pulls, and GHRs with In n Out as my post lift meal!!

But 220.2 brotha! You're basically 10lbs away from a major milestone you set. Awesome work!

That's a very very good overall result. Don't think it would be worth going through extra hell for shredding just a tad more. How long have you been lifting for?

This was my summer cutting result. Right now I've put on a good 6-7 pounds compared to the pics and lifting 5-6 times a week because I went from eating 2600-2700 cals to 3200. Training more though and lifting way more as a result.

dope ish, looking great

also love the hair, we can be hair bros :)

In other news, I found the S-tier lighting/mirror. The Starbucks bathroom. Seriously. I'm about to pull the lighting fixture and mirror off the wall and take them home

you leaned out immensely and I can see all the face gains. You look fucking great like this. Stay this way. Slow bulks only!

First day back you always feel super weak. It's part mental, bud.

I'd say I've almost certainly lost a fair bit of strength... top half of my body at least. I was down about 10% on everything I tried, and it wasn't for lack of effort, I actually blew a blood vessel in my throat on the weighted chinups, which was fairly unpleasant.

Oddly my squats didn't seem overly affected. I'm wondering if my body cannibalised my muscles on that event. At least my upper ones anyway.

SeanR1221

Seanny, that's the most definition I've ever seen on you. Lookin' great!!

Keep going Sean. Your up and down transformations are 2nd to no one! Abs may seem like they are far away but they're not. Spend some time at maintenance and then kick it into the final stage for summer.

you leaned out immensely and I can see all the face gains. You look fucking great like this. Stay this way. Slow bulks only!

Thanks fit bros. And like I said, the mirror/lighting helps a LOT but fuck it, I'll abuse it.

I think running a loooong maintenance in the high 180s low 190s will do me good. Just gotta get to the high 180s. was 192 again today! :/

mkenyon

Banned

Damn man, good work. You act like the diet is no big deal, but the strength of will it takes to carry out what you do is seriously one of the most impressive things in this thread.

Dat lighting

looking fucking great man

So I read through the entire OP and I still wonder what "bulking" does. Like, what does it do for you besides make you can weight?

Sorry, I'm new at this. I'm sick of being out of shape, chubby, and weak so I want to start working out.

mdsfx

I'm doing a 5000+ calorie day today. You comin with me?
Geeez... Im struggling to hit 3,000 clean calories. I've had 2k already consisting of eggs, turkey, beef, oats, sandwiches, some fruit, a shake, peanut butter, yogurt... Ugh what else. Can't remember. Anyways, 3k I can just barely handle if I'm eating clean (ish). Anything more would require denser foods for me.

BumRush

Geeez... Im struggling to hit 3,000 clean calories. I've had 2k already consisting of eggs, turkey, beef, oats, sandwiches, some fruit, a shake, peanut butter, yogurt... Ugh what else. Can't remember. Anyways, 3k I can just barely handle if I'm eating clean (ish). Anything more would require denser foods for me.

Exactly. When you're doing a bulk you can't think like that all of the time. I'll be enjoying a pint of Ben and Jerry's after I have three roast beef, rotisserie chicken and salami sandwiches for dinner. A couple IPAs after my workout too. Life is good!

mdsfx

My concern is that right now im pretty good at sticking to healthy foods. If I let that slide for 2+months im worried I'll have A very hard time breaking the habit.

Drinking on a weights day is one thing I never do. Jury is out on how much it affects things, but I'd rather save it for my off days just in case.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My concern is that right now im pretty good at sticking to healthy foods. If I let that slide for 2+months im worried I'll have A very hard time breaking the habit.
You've maintained 8% bf for as long as you've been posting here. You should have no doubt about your willpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom