• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
My concern is that right now im pretty good at sticking to healthy foods. If I let that slide for 2+months im worried I'll have A very hard time breaking the habit.

have you ever "Power bulked" before? I mean something like attaining 2.2 lbs (or 1 kg) a month over 5 or 6 months?

mkenyon

Banned
My concern is that right now im pretty good at sticking to healthy foods. If I let that slide for 2+months im worried I'll have A very hard time breaking the habit.
I was gonna say this:
You've maintained 8% bf for as long as you've been posting here. You should have no doubt about your willpower.

Indulge. Tell your wife to go crazy on the baking. Eat some dense fatty foods.

You'll shave it off ezpz

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
First time attempting rack pulls went well.

My day looked like this:

-Squat 365x3x3
-Rack pulls below the knee. Bunch or warmups to get to 495x3 and 545x2x2
-5x10 GHR

Time for a double-double, fries, and a shake!

ILoveBish

Great day once again at the gym. Right now eating 1350-1500 calories a day, so eating less then before and still hitting heavier then 3 months ago. Body feels very adapted at this new calorie intake. But not sure how much farther I'm going to be able to take things strength wise. I hope very very far.

Theoretically I shouldn't be able to lift so much with how few calories in consuming, but I'm just going to keep going in and kicking booty. Today was squats, hit 3x255, 3x290 and 3x330. Finished with a 10x240. Hit every rep and went up on accessories also.

Ontop of all that, my belt is officially too large. If I had a 11th belt hole, I'd be passed it. Looking into a inzer now.

Damn man, good work. You act like the diet is no big deal, but the strength of will it takes to carry out what you do is seriously one of the most impressive things in this thread.

Thanks, I really feel like it's no big deal. Cutting just feels normal at this point, I barely even think about it.

mkenyon

Banned
So, I've got a question.

I've been trying to do the hook grip, at first on my bent over rows before transitioning the grip to deadlift.

I have fairly small hands, and that might be part of it. The other is that I've been lax on getting some chalk, which was remedied today with some liquid grip.

But, I just can't hold on to the fucking thing. It feels like I can't get my thumb far enough around the bar to get a good grip. What it actually feels like is that most of the weight ends up on my ring finger and pinky because I can't sustain the hook.

Tips? Prolly need a pic?

ILoveBish

Damn Bish. I don't know how you do it. Amazing.

Brainwashing!

So, I've got a question.

I've been trying to do the hook grip, at first on my bent over rows before transitioning the grip to deadlift.

I have fairly small hands, and that might be part of it. The other is that I've been lax on getting some chalk, which was remedied today with some liquid grip.

But, I just can't hold on to the fucking thing. It feels like I can't get my thumb far enough around the bar to get a good grip. What it actually feels like is that most of the weight ends up on my ring finger and pinky because I can't sustain the hook.

Tips? Prolly need a pic?

I make my own liquid chalk and never had an issue with mixed grip personally. But my hands are huge. Have you tried doing some farmer walks?

mkenyon

Banned
Brainwashing!

I make my own liquid chalk and never had an issue with mixed grip personally. But my hands are huge. Have you tried doing some farmer walks?
I've done some literal farmers walks. Like hooking hay bales and moving them a solid 50 yds.

But no. I'd only be able to do it with dumbells at my local gym.

Szu

Just star walking east or west until you hit water.

Whichever is farther.

Preview of an interview with Pyscho.

running-forest-gump.gif

ILoveBish

I've done some literal farmers walks. Like hooking hay bales and moving them a solid 50 yds.

But no. I'd only be able to do it with dumbells at my local gym.

That's all I have to work with also. I start with 65s and do laps, then go up 5lbs till the heaviest available. It will wreck you.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone mix creatine powder with a protein shake or eat it some other time?

Well, originally I grew them because I really like how they look. Now I give them to people as gifts... not necessarily to people I like.

HKnightz

Have been lurking for a few months. The camaraderie here is damn awesome where there is pretty much nothing but encouragement. Love it, mind if I join you fellas? Currently on a (slow) bulk myself (have been for the past 2 months) and I actually find it harder to bulk (while eating clean) than cut.

Goals are more muscle and strength at this point. I'm essentially doing Mike Matthews bigger leaner stronger program in regards to exercise program. Just wanted to stick my head in and introduce myself. You guys rock!

The roof of my gym is so short that I can't do a standing press without the weights touching the roof

Should I do it sitting down or should I just continue doing bench press instead?

HKnightz

The roof of my gym is so short that I can't do a standing press without the weights touching the roof

Should I do it sitting down or should I just continue doing bench press instead?

Sit down if you can do it safely. Bench is mainly for chest, and I'm assuming you want to work out shoulders.

mdsfx

Have been lurking for a few months. The camaraderie here is damn awesome where there is pretty much nothing but encouragement. Love it, mind if I join you fellas? Currently on a (slow) bulk myself (have been for the past 2 months) and I actually find it harder to bulk (while eating clean) than cut.

Goals are more muscle and strength at this point. I'm essentially doing Mike Matthews bigger leaner stronger program in regards to exercise program. Just wanted to stick my head in and introduce myself. You guys rock!

Don't have to ask. Welcome! These guys have tons of experience and advice. The motivation they give is an added bonus. Good luck with your goals.

BumRush

Welcome! Good to have you on board.

Well. My shorts came in today. 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

entremet

First time attempting rack pulls went well.

My day looked like this:

-Squat 365x3x3
-Rack pulls below the knee. Bunch or warmups to get to 495x3 and 545x2x2
-5x10 GHR

Time for a double-double, fries, and a shake!
With you ur deadlift numbers, surprised this was your first time. They're really great assistance lifts and should add to your max nicely.

bchamba

So, I've got a question.

Tips? Prolly need a pic?

Do you mean actual hook grip or do you mean mixed grip?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
OMG Sean!!! Hilarious!

With you ur deadlift numbers, surprised this was your first time. They're really great assistance lifts and should add to your max nicely.

Nope, never focused on any assistance work at all really but the occasional RDLs. I hope you're right because I'm fighting for every pound at this point.

entremet

A little soreness the day after isn't a big deal... but hurting right after? No, I'd say you're not doing it right.

Can you take video for a form check?

Yeah. Do you have any lower back issues at all?

Previous injuries?

The deadlift is a very technical lift and it's so easy to fuck up. I'm still always working on my forms and cues.

despire

So I read through the entire OP and I still wonder what "bulking" does. Like, what does it do for you besides make you can weight?

Sorry, I'm new at this. I'm sick of being out of shape, chubby, and weak so I want to start working out.

Bulking is essentially eating at a surplus to gain muscle (and what fat comes along with it). If you are chubby you probably want to lose fat first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom