• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Mike, how many days a week are you going to gym? Do you do push and pull accessories every day?
Nooooooooooooo hell no. MWF are push pull, which are alternating AB workouts. One is bench and weighted pull-ups, the other is OHP and bent over rows. Right now Tuesday is leg day. No idea what I'm doing tomorrow (Thursday) since I'm gearing up for a race in a few weeks. Don't want to have a second leg day in my weekly plan until after that happens. Might just run a little tomorrow.

mdsfx

Is there an issue with doing push and pull accessories every day at the gym if you're going 3-4 days a week?
I would alternate days to give muscles recovery time, but that's just me.

Why not do push on day 1 and pull on day 2 etc? You would end up doing the same volume over the coarse of the week and giving each muscle group time to rest.

BumRush

Is there an issue with doing push and pull accessories every day at the gym if you're going 3-4 days a week?

It would be counterproductive if you did the same bodyparts on back to back days. If you're going every other day though, that should be fine.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It would be counterproductive if you did the same bodyparts on back to back days. If you're going every other day though, that should be fine.
Wait... so you don't recommend doing curls twice a day and 6 days a week? But I rest on Sundays.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, it's every other day. When I throw in a 4th day (which would be a back-to-back day), then I always make sure to do stuff that I did *not* do the day prior.
Wait... so you don't recommend doing curls twice a day and 6 days a week? But I rest on Sundays.
Yeah, except curls, right?

:p

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That's not an accessory, it's a way of life.
preach.gif

mdsfx

Someone somewhere jumped into this thread for the first time and is in the gym now curling their life away never to look back again.

Way to go

5/3/1 has me doing 1 Compound with 1 warmup set and 8 working sets per day.

Too much?

When I was researching the program, I remember it prescribed that after your 5/3/1 set, your supposed to do the same exercise again for 5 sets of 10.

I'm pretty sure I laughed out loud. I ended up instead doing a complementary compound for 3x8, and then an antagonist compound for 3x10.

I don't think those charts really make sense. For instance I work with a guy who is my height and age, but he's got some broad-ass shoulders (wish i had those lol) and a larger frame overall. He would probably look anorexic at my weight. The last health screening labeled him as borderline obese, which if you saw him, makes no f*cking sense at all. He doesn't even look fat.

TLDR: scew the charts. Make your own goal, whether it's tied to abilities, aesthetics, or both.

That's because we're a much fatter society now than we were 100 years ago when that chart was created.

When I was researching the program, I remember it prescribed that after your 5/3/1 set, your supposed to do the same exercise again for 5 sets of 10.

I'm pretty sure I laughed out loud. I ended up instead doing a complementary compound for 3x8, and then an antagonist compound for 3x10.

So if it was Bench day, you're doing OHP + Squat/DL?

Fox318

running out of whey protein soon.

anyone have any recommendations on what to buy or where?

Right now I'm using Gold Standard.

I'm trying to lose wight so nothing with crazy carbs and sugar I guess.

ILoveBish

Down to like 1200 calories yesterday, eating is so boring. I actually gained .6lbs lol. No biggie since I'm confident on my food intake and lifts are going so well.

Today was ohp and fantastic it was, 3x140, 3x160 and 3x180. Ended with 10x130. Hit every rep and went up on accessories as well. Felt beast mode strength wise. I honestly don't know how I'm doing it.

Date tonight with the new girl again, pretty hyped. Mentally I'm everywhere due to her, very unbalanced. But I really like her quite a bit. Hope things go well.

BumRush

You probably don't need powder to be honest. You're losing weight so stick with chicken, lean meats, etc.

335 squat today weighing 192. Not terrible. Should have worn my new shorts

Nice work dude!

mkenyon

Banned
335 squat today weighing 192. Not terrible. Should have worn my new shorts
They would've added at least 20lbs. And would have everyone at the gym mirin.

Do you have a GNC membership? ON Gold Standard is on sale there right now. They also have these little cannisters of three new flavors, one of which is Blueberry Cheesecake. It is far and away the best tasting whey I've had. It's like having dessert.

entremet

So what routines are you bros running now in the Fall?

(Spring for below the equator folks)

I might do a bro split for a bit to address some weak points. 4 day--Chest/Tris, Back Bis, Legs, Shoulders.

Just blasted my chest today.

I might do a bro split for a bit to address some weak points. 4 day--Chest/Tris, Back Bis, Legs, Shoulders.

5/3/1 with 3-4 accessory lifts per, 4x a week. Hope that plus a fine tune in diet will get me through to spring with a more chiseled body.

Well, doctor found out lactose problems two weeks back. So I stopped taking the whey since its lactose.

I don't know whether or not whey could be the cause of your acne, but this part is incorrect. Whey protein is protein. Lactose is a sugar. There may be a trace quantity of lactose in whey since it is isolated from milk, but the protein is in fact isolated from the rest of the milk and does not have enough lactose to trigger lactose sensitivity.

Another appalling session. I couldn't lift weights that I was lifting three months ago... when i was on a severe cut. I actually dropped my OHP numbers ~20% before even starting (I just wanted to be able to get the weight up)... and I still couldn't hit all the reps.

I really have no idea what's going on. I look amazing (by my standards), but all of a sudden I'm weak as shit.

mkenyon

Banned

Same as the last 6 months.

Starting Strength w/ accessories 3-4 days a week + running 4 days a week.

ILoveBish

5/3/1 till cut is over. Then back to sl 5x5 during bulk and then ss once I max out there.

I'm not particularly looking forward to bulking.

Azulsky

Mostly still PHAT

Been mixing up what I am doing for the actual exercises but the Heavy/Light day thing is still the same.

Mostly subbing out accessories for more involved(dropsets, bands) stuff.

I'm kinda in a small cut phase trying to get another 10lbs(7 left) off so that will probably round out my year.

Fox318

You probably don't need powder to be honest. You're losing weight so stick with chicken, lean meats, etc.

Isn't it about 1 g of protein per pound?

even that I don't really hit as often as I would like.

1ED4IAZ.png

They would've added at least 20lbs. And would have everyone at the gym mirin.

Do you have a GNC membership? ON Gold Standard is on sale there right now. They also have these little cannisters of three new flavors, one of which is Blueberry Cheesecake. It is far and away the best tasting whey I've had. It's like having dessert.

I'll take a look at GNC as I think I have a $10 off protein purchase over $30 somewhere.

My only issue with GNC is that they can get pricy and I don't like people trying to hustle me to buy GNC branded products and multivitamins.

mdsfx

I still find Gold Standard at the cheapest prices on either Amazon or Bodybuilding.com. Often GNC sales are still more expensive.

Anyone else mix whey and casein? I do that for every shake. Makes me feel fuller... Shit I should cut out the casein at this point lol

Isn't it about 1 g of protein per pound?
0.8g is fine, and there's evidence you need even less than that.

As stated, if you're not getting enough, you need to swap in meatier dishes into your diet. For me, if it's got less than 40g of protein in it, I generally don't consider it suitable for a meal.

Azulsky

I still find Gold Standard at the cheapest prices on either Amazon or Bodybuilding.com. Often GNC sales are still more expensive.

Anyone else mix whey and casein? I do that for every shake. Makes me feel fuller... Shit I should cut out the casein at this point lol

Some sources think the mixture is better than just whey or casein.

You get a combination of the immediate spike from the whey but the longer duration of the casein as well.

I haven't ordered any protein powder in a while I've just been reducing the chicken population by 1 per day.

Fox318

The more I learn about nutrition and fitness I feel like nothing I thought I knew is true and everything you think is wrong is true.

Everything both works and doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom