• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Oh shit, you're THAT guy lol. Yep, you look fuckin awesome.

I've been lifting seriously for over 3 years, but I didn't have a grip on diet at all until more recently, which explains why I was spinning my wheels...

If I could get 15 more pounds of muscle, which is a lot to go, I think I could get to where I want to be.

Man for 3 years that's like super awesome results! Keep going, that's all I have to say!

Mr Greek God. lol

LoL, thanks but now it's mister old. Been doing this sh*t for far too long now :p

You look fucking fantastic there. Good work.

Thanks, it's diet basically. Right now I've put on some extra kgs and I don't look that good but I'm feeling much better in the gym in terms of endurance and coping with heavy workouts.

Will do. And sacul comes back right when no one expected him. How old are you sacul? And were you ever overweight/out of shape at any point in your life?

Thanks dude. I'll be 36 in January. Been lifting since I was 19 but it wasn't until I was 24 I started looking into nutrition. Around 28-29 was my first serious cut. In 2016 I will try (if injuries allow!) to take it beyond with a friend/nutritionist that is active with people in sports and gets them shredded. I was more or less always active-fit but never really cut or defined. I was one of those skinny kids that wanted to get huge. Now I just want quality and summetry. Size is ok too but not at the cost of the other two.

Sacul, woooow! Looking insane dude!

Thanks man, we are in this together! Stay hungry!

mkenyon

Banned
Do you mind posting what you are doing for accessories?
A Day

Core Lifts
Squat 5x3
OHP 5x3
Deadlift 5x1​

Accessories
Cable Flys
Dips
Lat Pull Down
Overhead Tricep Extension

Way of Life
Curls​

B Day

Core
Squats 5x3
Bench 5x3
Bent Over Row 5x3​

Accessories
Chin Ups/Pull Ups (I dont know what the difference is, but it's the wide grip ones)
Tricep Pushdown
Bulgarian Lunges
Cable Kickbacks

Way of Life
Curls​

I do my running at lunch w/ wife and dogs. How it plays out on a weekly basis is:

Mon - 3 mile run
Tue - 3 mile run + Gym
Wed - Rest
Thu - 3 mile run + Gym
Fri - 3 mile run
Sat - Gym and SOMETIMES 5+ mile run or trail running (not super hard mode, this is for fun and to get extra energy out of dogs, they're Border Collies).
Sun - If Seahawks home game, then go to game and rest. If away, then Gym doing accessories I did not work on previous days, and again the possibility of a long run or trail running.

I'll cycle in and out accessories, that's just what I've been doing the last two weeks.
You must eat like a horse with that work output.

Although your body gets very efficient with cardio.
I have a stupid low metabolism despite this routine. Most week days, I'm around 1500-1700 calories. Weekends, 2000-2500. It slows down my progress, but as a bit of a backstory, I dropped from ~300lbs to 180 a few years back, and have had this cardio routine for 3.5 years now. I didn't start on the Strength Training until about 6 months ago, but had done it for a long time as an adolescent and young adult (I'm 32 now).

*edit*

Put 5x3 on Deadlift, but it's 5x1.

My missus complimented my calves tonight as she was heading out for a meal with some workmate. Steve I think his name is. She says she's probably going to be back late, maybe stay at a hotel.

Good to know I've got good calves.

mdsfx

I overshot and hit 3500 calories today, plus it's still early. Do I just eat anyway if in hungry or what?

Damn you Justin and your organic, dark chocolate, peanut butter cups

mkenyon

Banned
My missus complimented my calves tonight as she was heading out for a meal with some workmate. Steve I think his name is. She says she's probably going to be back late, maybe stay at a hotel.

Good to know I've got good calves.
Same here. She said she met him through some online forum, and mentioned something about a Bum, so I figure she's helping a charity case.

No fear though, cause I have calves of steel.

mtOTE7Rl.png

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The phrase, his calves are so hot I think I need to sleep with him tonight, has never been spoken in the history of man. Keep curling my friends.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
I overshot and hit 3500 calories today, plus it's still early. Do I just eat anyway if in hungry or what?

Damn you Justin and your organic, dark chocolate, peanut butter cups

Go for broke (Street Fighter Alpha!)

One day won't make a difference at all. Eat as much as you want, just try to eat a bit less tomorrow and the day after. How many calories surplus are you at 3500?

M52B28

Banned
Does anyone here start their day with some loaded oatmeal? I usually put a few different nuts, bananas, cranberries, and Greek yogurt in mine in the morning. It keeps me going all day, sometimes.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ay yi yi, I fucked up my groove worrying about my squat depth. Probably for the best, doing a reset where I drop as fast and deep as possible. I will conquer squats.

bchamba

Somehow forgot my belt at home when I went to the gym so worked up to a 345 squat for 2 reps. Would have wanted to do 364 for 2 or 3 if I had my belt.

mdsfx

By doing that you're probably gonna lose tension and back tightness. Focus on doing it right first, then worry about speed.
This used to be a big problem of mine. I always dropped too fast going down and did lose tension almost every time. That kind of transition did not feel healthy for joints, tendons, etc, but I don't actually know if that's the case. It just felt 'wrong' to me.

Im much slower now in comparison. I only really focus on speed when I'm on my way up, but even then it's not very fast.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
By doing that you're probably gonna lose tension and back tightness. Focus on doing it right first, then worry about speed

Fair enough. I will probably need a coaching session then to feel comfortable. My other idea was to switch to pause squats only for a while until I get comfortable where that depth is.

This used to be a big problem of mine. I always dropped too fast going down and did lose tension almost every time. That kind of transition did not feel healthy for joints, tendons, etc, but I don't actually know if that's the case. It just felt 'wrong' to me.

Im much slower now in comparison. I only really focus on speed when I'm on my way up, but even then it's not very fast.

I found myself going slower as the weight got heavier. I think its better in the long run to go slow with good form than to go for speed (at least IMO, I may be totally wrong so correct me if I am).

Although, since going beyond 240lbs, I have found myself not going as low as I have before in squats. I'm using a belt and feeling it a lot more in my glutes than in my quads, but I still feel like I'm not getting the most out of my squats anymore.

But in better news, I've noticed my chest getting much bigger, and the scale has finally started to go up for my bulk (3000 seems to be the magic number in terms of calories). And I'm really liking what I see in the mirror. I probably should've entered in the fitGAF bracket

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I know you're joking but your post belong in the OP. You can sum up weightlifting into what you wrote. People should understand that.
Thanks. People do over think all this stuff and stress out over it. It's really as simple as that.

mkenyon

Banned
i just wanna like
work out
all the time
pls help
No one can give you willpower. Just make a schedule and try to stick to it. The moment you start having excuses to miss a session here or there, you'll just spiral.

Start at 3 days a week and go from there. M/W/F or Tue/Thu/Sat.

No one can give you willpower. Just make a schedule and try to stick to it. The moment you start having excuses to miss a session here or there, you'll just spiral.

Start at 3 days a week and go from there. M/W/F or Tue/Thu/Sat.
I go every other day. I wanna go everyday :p

despire

So what routines are you bros running now in the Fall?

(Spring for below the equator folks)

I might do a bro split for a bit to address some weak points. 4 day--Chest/Tris, Back Bis, Legs, Shoulders.

Just blasted my chest today.

Greek God Program. I'm still cutting though for a little while but I think I'll stick with the program for a long time afterwards.

It's a 2-day Chest/Shoulders/Tris + Back/Legs/Bis split. 3x per week.

So what routines are you bros running now in the Fall?

(Spring for below the equator folks)

I might do a bro split for a bit to address some weak points. 4 day--Chest/Tris, Back Bis, Legs, Shoulders.

Just blasted my chest today.

Still on my Strong Lifts 5X5 with some accessories thrown in to get areas not being hit as much. Im gonna continue on my bulk until I hit the big 3-0 and then see what happens from there.

despire

Ok so apparently my bodyfat is around 13,5-14%. Just did some measurements and put them in a few different calculators and they all say around that. My own estimate would put me somewhere around there as well.

Still need to lose maybe 3-6lbs to depending if I want to get down to 10 or 12-ish.

ILoveBish

Ate an incredible meal at a really nice place in long beach, right on the water staring at the queen marry, i would guess around 50-ish carbs in the meal. I've honestly not had a reason to not cut and be psycho strict till now, since i'm dating. Feels good to just enjoy a meal with someone so amazing, having a great time. Right back to my usual grind right after tho.

So if it was Bench day, you're doing OHP + Squat/DL?

by complimentary, I mean a different variation of the same exercise.

by antagonist, I mean an exercise the does the opposite motion.

on bench day for instance, I follow barbell bench with Incline dumbbell bench, and then pulldowns.

mdsfx

Ate an incredible meal at a really nice place in long beach, right on the water staring at the queen marry, i would guess around 50-ish carbs in the meal. I've honestly not had a reason to not cut and be psycho strict till now, since i'm dating. Feels good to just enjoy a meal with someone so amazing, having a great time. Right back to my usual grind right after tho.
Nice man! Sounds awesome. There are certainly times when you just need to relax and enjoy. For instance, family meals on holidays and my mother's cooking both equal zero calories in my book.

I feel like I'm the end, one meal here and there will not impede your progress. It's the longer-term commitment that gets you the results you want.

Maybe it's different for keto, but on occasion you need to make life sweet by saying "fuck it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom