• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

I feel like I'm exercising wrong because its been a long time since I raised was last able to raise the overall weight I was lifting. Gonna do some more research.

JoeNut

Neo are you doing lots of reps of small weight or less reps of big weight? in my small amount of experience the latter helps you quickly add weight almost every week. my bench has gone up 10 kg's in about 2-3 weeks.

JoeNut

Finished the workout with:
Dl 1x5 176lbs
Bench 5x5 143lbs
And 3x6 bw pull-ups + some ab work.

I would like a suggestion. I'm squatting 3x a week, 5x5 with 11lbs increments per workout. Next week I will start increasing the weight by 5,5 lbs, which is the minimum available. In case I fail the 5x5,what should I do, go 3x5 or deload and keep 5x5?

And the post workout meal today was a doozy, will post a pic later.

So, deload or 3x5?

ID, people are slow to reply here!

i'd deload personally

ldcommando

Banned
Thanks guys, I don´t know what came to me, maybe my hormones or some shit.
Here is something to lighten the mood, my post workout meal:
jaR1muR.jpg

As for the workout, I´m going to deload and keep 5x5ing. Thanks again.

I see alot of talk about age in here and i wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Today is my 37th birthday! Ive been working out one way or another my whole life. At the age of 7 my parents started coaching me in Track & Field and at age 14 i joined a gym to pack on some size. I ended up falling in love with the iron and after the army i quit track and kept lifting.

I did one show in 2006, the Norwegian Nationals and the class was Classic Bodybuilding. I came in dead last as expected but i learned alot from it.

My stats per today are:
Weight: 86,5kg
Height: 189cm
Bf: WHo knows, low!

I like to work out a lot, im not "active" outside my workouts so i make sure i do enough. Right now i have 10 workouts a week. 7 of them are weight training sessions and then ive added 3 HIIT sessions just recently. In addition i try to get 10 000 steps each day.

As an early birthday present i got myself a Fitbit Charge HR because i was interested in seeing what kind of data it could give me. Now none of these trackers are specifically targeted towards weight training, so you will only get a general idea of what is going on. It told me what i had figured out myself that i burn around 3000 calories on a normal day.

I connected Fitbit with MyFItnessPal and started logging a bit there (even though i know what im eating) to see how it measures up. And im basically eating 4 days at maintenance, 2 days below and 1 day above.

You can see my stats etc here:

https://www.fitbit.com/user/3RZCMS
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/themrmuscle

To me being 37 hasnt changed anything, i still feel like im 18! My energy is high, my strength is good, no injuries or pains. Basically i look and feel great. I really hope none of you are dreading your age, instead own it and make the best out of it.

Ill end this rant with a couple of recent pictures. Hope you all have a GREAT friday.

happy birthday! Always impressive seeing those pics as I browse through my IG. Goes without saying but you look great.

Not uploading these because I look good lol. I am going to track my cut on here. Starting Monday for the next 3 months or so. I'll post occasional updates.

I dreamer bulked and I'm happy with the progress. The fat and bloat should fall off. I was 290 yesterday afternoon but only 285 this morning with no food so that's where I'll start.

Dat belly tho. It did help me to get to 415 bench

So fucking awesome. Ready to see you slimmed down. Hard as fuck tho during the winter haha. Are you just gonna cut down the calories and go from there? Not worry too much about it until you stall out?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I approve of the whole chicken but ditch the fork and go caveman style!

___

Back to normalcy. Here's the highlights of my 5 day feast; 2 pizzas, 1 20" sub, In n Out, 6 pints of ice cream, a few doughnuts.

blackflag

Mon
So fucking awesome. Ready to see you slimmed down. Hard as fuck tho during the winter haha. Are you just gonna cut down the calories and go from there? Not worry too much about it until you stall out?

Yeah Last time I didn't stall out so we'll see. It's a few years later and I'm 40 but I don't think much has changed. I might need to up the protein a little but we'll see.

Mon
Cal: 2638 P = 259 F = 47 C = 282
Tue
Cal: 2534 P = 272 F = 66 C = 196
Wed
Cal: 2433 P = 265 F = 99 C = 106
Thurs
Fri
Sat
Cal: 2146 P = 279 F = 88 C = 51
Sun
Cal: 2163 P = 310 F = 90 C = 17

Yeah Last time I didn't stall out so we'll see. It's a few years later and I'm 40 but I don't think much has changed. I might need to up the protein a little but we'll see.

Mon
Tue
Cal: 2534 P = 272 F = 66 C = 196
Wed
Thurs
Fri
Sat
Cal: 2146 P = 279 F = 88 C = 51
Sun
Cal: 2163 P = 310 F = 90 C = 17

fuck, jumping down to 2600 calories right away? props to you big guy

But...those delts...What? How??

____

Well I had to respond to this! Welcome. We've had so many amazing transformations why not add your name to the list. Looking forward to having you around. Don't be shy.

I'm hoping I have something good to show. I'm relatively new to the diet change, but it doesn't seem hard to sustain so far. And the gym is just part of my schedule now, so change should come!

Cooter

I'm hoping I have something good to show. I'm relatively new to the diet change, but it doesn't seem hard to sustain so far. And the gym is just part of my schedule now, so change should come!
Diet is easy to maintain-check
Gym is part of daily routine-check

Now just live your life and let time take care of the rest.

MrMuscle

Happy BD Muscle! :)

Of course one of the most ripped dudes in the thread has the same age as me, of course.

Just kidding, happy birthday, man!

Damn looking amazing Muscle. Happy birthday!

You had me at He-Man.

Looking great!

Mr. Muscle...goddamn dude. 37 years old and shred city. Amazing.

happy birthday! Always impressive seeing those pics as I browse through my IG. Goes without saying but you look great.

Thanks guys, I appriciate it!

3phemeral

Love <3 Eggs.

Since my partner is in medschool, I have access to some of the research websites that do meta-analysis on research and their stance on eggs is:

Dietary cholesterol &#8212; Dietary cholesterol raises the total serum cholesterol but is a less important contributor than saturated fat [82,83]. Eggs are a chief source of dietary cholesterol, and the association between regular egg consumption and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke has long been debated. In a 2013 meta-analysis of eight prospective cohort studies (more than 474,000 participants), there was no association between egg consumption and risk for coronary heart disease or stroke (RR 0.99 and 0.91 for each additional daily egg, 95% CI 0.85 to 1.15 and 0.81 to 1.02, respectively) [84].

Eggs are my go-to protein source since there's so many ways you can prepare them.

ldcommando

Banned
I approve of the whole chicken but ditch the fork and go caveman style!

___

Back to normalcy. Here's the highlights of my 5 day feast; 2 pizzas, 1 20" sub, In n Out, 6 pints of ice cream, a few doughnuts.

That was for eating the green stuff. The chicken went down caveman style indeed.

speaking of whole chicken. i kinda want to oven roast my own now. i think i'll pick up a few birds and meal prep that for next week lol

gonna put that trusty convection toaster oven to good use again.

ILoveBish

Man look so lean these days, but scale has stalled at 220-221 for a while now. I can visually see the huge difference in midsection, the side of my abs is way more indented then before. And I'm starting to look big even at lower fat levels.

I checked and I'm barely getting 1200 calories, might even be lower then that in fact. Oh wells, deadlift day today, feel insanely strong right now.

And mrmuscle, happy bday, you look amazing and we're the same age!

Aw yeah, just got an email from LA Fitness wanting me back...no sign up fee and cheaper than the Y.

Plus I'll actually be able to do press now!

Azulsky

That feel when you cant walk straight because you said fuck it and went 3 plate squat for 3 reps(previous best was 5x295). Sooo good

Leg Day is truly the holiest of days, both of them.

Some of you guys are pretty hardcore in here. I've always casually kept myself in shape and am looking to cut a few % BF. 5'11, 172lbs and at about 12.5% BF currently. I think getting down to ~10% BF would greatly help my appearance/vascularity.

During/immediately after my workout I look really swole, which is cool. A few hours later/the next day I don't even look like I workout.

3phemeral

I used to hate leg day but now that those pants that used to unzip when I sat down no longer do that, I'm starting to feel the effects and look now forward to it. :)

I'm about 75% through my second bag of myprotein. Haven't had an issue with it, actually like it a lot. Does it happen with other powders?

I believe so. Or at least I don't remember it ever not happening.

Doesn't happen with the casein stuff I have.

Edit - One day I'll be brave enough to post my pics, though I suspect it'll have to be with my shorts pulled up high to cover my loose skin. =/

mkenyon

Banned
Bro, great work. That second pic especially...from where you came to where you are now must excite Mrs. MKenyon almost as much as the sweet 16 did last week.
lol
Some of you guys are pretty hardcore in here. I've always casually kept myself in shape and am looking to cut a few % BF. 5'11, 172lbs and at about 12.5% BF currently. I think getting down to ~10% BF would greatly help my appearance/vascularity.

During/immediately after my workout I look really swole, which is cool. A few hours later/the next day I don't even look like I workout.
"The pump is the best version of you, that you will never be" -BroscienceLife

Joking aside, you just gotta keep at it, and you will eventually build muscle to where it looks good even the next day.

ILoveBish

Yah, dunno how I have the energy, but another kick ass day at the gym. 1200 calories or less at this point. Deadlift with 3x305, 3x350 and 3x395. Hit every rep, then knocked out 4 sets of 10 on dips, and then pendlay rows with 10x180, 8x185, 6x190 and 4x195. I need a dip belt for sure now. This concludes my 3s week, hit every rep and now going 5 days a week so it should be even harder. But it's just going so well.

Excited for 1s week, my favorite week. I may attempt going through my deload week completely fasted, but not sure when I'm seeing this girl again so I can time it.

Cooter

Just hit those compounds like your life depends on it.

No, you just almost won. Almost.
Nah, I was firmly in 3rd or 4th I believe. It's ok. I'm totally over it. Yup, not bothering me at all. Not one bit... Next year. Oh next year!

Faiz

Just hit those compounds like your life depends on it.

No, you just almost won. Almost.

Oh I do. I started working hard at it a couple years ago with SS. Had some good progress which was interrupted by the birth of my son. Got back to it in June of last year, switching to 531 along the way. by August this year (so 14 months later) I was feeling the girth and switched to fat loss until Thanksgiving. Im down to 168 from 186 and wanted to make it to 160 by Thanksgiving. May not happen, as its really slowed down, but that's ok.

But yeah, I've got a long history of frustrating middling results. Hoping things really start to be visibly different once this fat loss is down and I start focusing on strength building again.

My biggest gains problem, as I've talked about before at times, is sleep problems stemming from my sons periodic insomnia. Not much I can do about that until he hopefully grows out of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom