• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

No, it two separate things.

Fasting = No food intake.

Cutting = Controlled reduced food intake.

On a side note, there is also Intermitten Fasting, but that's a different discussion all together.

Szu, seeing a post from you without a joke in it always makes me sad...

Oh, and I disagree with the diet soda suggestion. It fills you up, but can actually makes you REALLY hungry, as I've found out to my horror on a few occasions. Tea and coffee are fine.

It's really different for everyone. I find it helps, but it doesn't really hurt to try (especially during hour 14/16). The hunger pangs really only last 5-15 mins anyways, and I find the diet soda lasts just long enough.

Hell, some people like to use gum, but that just makes me want to eat lol.

Ventara

If you're trying to lose weight, err on the high side. If you're trying to gain weight (which you're not), err on the low side. Make sense?

So I need to make sure I eat my daily calories if I want to lose weight, And if I want to gain, I should make sure not to exceed my daily calorie intake?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm sorry, but fasting is completely out of the question as a husband and dad. I eat when I can...not knowing if my next one will be interrupted / postponed!
Nonsense! It gets easier brotha. Newborns can be taxing but remember you and the Mrs are the co captains of this ship. The kids are along for ride.

BumRush

So I need to make sure I eat my daily calories if I want to lose weight, And if I want to gain, I should make sure not to exceed my daily calorie intake?

Haha no, the opposite. I was answering your question. If you're trying to lose weight, and don't know exactly how many calories are in your meal, aim higher for your estimate, not lower.

Nonsense! It gets easier brotha. Newborns can be taxing but remember you and the Mrs are the co captains of this ship. The kids are along for ride.

I guess what I really meant to say is "I love eating and want the excuse of marriage and fatherhood to hide behind"...

That's not what the response was to the question. It was mostly a case of overestimating what you're eating if you want to lose weight and underestimating if you want to gain weight.

For example, lets say you ate what was roughly a 2,500kcal meal. If you're cutting then you might want to say that was actually a 2,600kcal meal, so that you don't accidentally go over your daily intake. If you're bulking, maybe call it a 2,400kcal meal, so you ensure you're getting enough calories in total.

It's not massively complicated.

Cooter

I guess what I really meant to say is "I love eating and want the excuse of marriage and fatherhood to hide behind"...
lol

Well those certainly provide plenty of cover. I'm keen on using them for turning down people who invite me to do stuff!

mdsfx

I'm sorry, but fasting is completely out of the question as a husband and dad. I eat when I can...not knowing if my next one will be interrupted / postponed!
I know what you mean. Husband and father of three here. My youngest is 1 year.

The last two days I was up before my 4:50 alarm. Thankfully my gym opens at 5.

BumRush

lol

Well those certainly provide plenty of cover. I'm keen on using them for turning down people who invite me to do stuff!

Earlier this week, my buddy asked me if I wanted to chill on Sunday. I told him I couldn't, my wife and I had to go to her parents' with the baby (lie, I just wanted to relax by the pool, mow the lawn, workout, etc.). 2 hours later he said that it was for a wing and beer festival and suddenly the plans i "had" were cancelled and I was free...

mdsfx

NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM!

Speaking of which, is consuming a lot of protein at one sitting an issue? Does the body use all of it or just pass everything beyond 50g or something

Azulsky

NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM!

Speaking of which, is consuming a lot of protein at one sitting an issue? Does the body use all of it or just pass everything beyond 50g or something

If you take straight whey there will be some pass through instead of absorbed supposedly once you go past a certain amount.

Everything else processes slow enough. Its mostly relative to the additional fat and fiber content of whatever you are eating simultaneously.

Cooper

I wanted to share with the thread that yesterday I hit a new PR on Bench Press.

after the injury that put me out of the strength game for a year, yesterday I did 72.5 kgs for 8 reps, that's my bodyweight x 8.

this makes me very very happy. I have missed the thrill of strength goals all this time.

Very nice sphinx. Welcome back to PR land!

I did a baby pull-up pyramid today, maxing at 3 reps. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ventara

Haha no, the opposite. I was answering your question. If you're trying to lose weight, and don't know exactly how many calories are in your meal, aim higher for your estimate, not lower.

That's not what the response was to the question. It was mostly a case of overestimating what you're eating if you want to lose weight and underestimating if you want to gain weight.

For example, lets say you ate what was roughly a 2,500kcal meal. If you're cutting then you might want to say that was actually a 2,600kcal meal, so that you don't accidentally go over your daily intake. If you're bulking, maybe call it a 2,400kcal meal, so you ensure you're getting enough calories in total.

It's not massively complicated.

Oh, right. Thought it sounded wrong. My mistake. Thanks guys!

jrush64

Banned
Hey GAF,

SO i have like $100 and I want to get some exercise equipment. I'm looking for dumbbells and barbells and things like that.

What do you recommend?

Thanx

ILoveBish

236.4 this morning, lose faster dammit.

Am at hour 14 of a 16-hour fast and could use some help to pull through. I know, I'm a pu**y, but I'm not yet used to this. Do I just chug water to get through it?

Water, tea and coffee. The more you do it, the easier it gets. I promise.

Diet soda is a good tool to create the illusion of "fullness" (root beer especially). Also peppermint tea I think reduces appetite so that could help too. Otherwise yes, just chugging water is one of your options.

Soda? Not unless you want to look and feel bloated.

That makes it even easier! But as I read later, excuses!

NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM!

I eat 160 in one sitting. Don't think you'll have an issue.

oneHeero

Hey Fitness Gaf

Saw a bulk up thread and decided to finally get some courage and visit this thread for some help and advice.

Can 1 start to build muscle with just having a set of dumb bells (20lbs)?
I'm 170 lbs, 5'9, thin framed but have a small gut, like a muffin top almost but not really (cant tell). Anyways, my arms lack muscle, my chest is horrible and my thighs are too skinny. You can say I have a dad bod in a way (father of 2, 30 yrs old), but not unheathly. I lose weight pretty easy and I will like my body has gotten into shape pretty fast in the past (no weightlift experience) from just running/push ups.

I want to feel better about how I look, my stomach should be flatter than what it is (I dont want to be skinny skinny, just no pudge, dont need a crazy six pack now). I want my arms to look somewhat muscular.

I think once I have a foundation set I'd really be motivated to go to a gym, right now I just dont have that confidence, let alone a good foundation.

So this past Tuesday I went to Academy and bout my first set of dumb bells.

-Tuesday I basically did 3 sets of curls, 3 sets of push ups, a set up sit ups and those bike sit ups (i have 1 more sit up set but dont know name of it) and went swimming (swam a couple laps and tread water)

-Wednesday I did 3 sets of curls, 3 sets of push ups, 2 sets of lunges w/ weights, and the sit up routine again, and rode my bike for a couple of miles for fun

-Today I want to work arms again, lunges, and add these dumb bell squats

I saw War Eagles post in the other thread where he gave a nice 3 day workout with links that I will definitely be looking into. I will focus on the Core Workout link and adding the squats routine with dumb bells as well as looking into the flat bence press w/ dumb bells but I need something to lay on, any suggesstions? I live alone, apartment, I can check out the weight room but I rather stay within my apt if possible.

Food - I know diet is ridiculously important, but I dont eat horrendously aka, I dont snack 24/7, I'm not eating fast food every day, I dont drink soda everyday, etc. I've seen recommendations on food but I'm a single guy with a kitchen that lacks a lot of necessities due to $$ / never needed it. I dont eat good, usually sandwiches (turkey, lettuce, cheese), frozen pizza, fishsticks, tv dinners, basically easily/readily made food that I find tasty. I know this will need to change eventually.
I bought myself a whole chicken (grocery store sells them hot and ready), pulled off all white meat and started eating chicken sandwiches each day but I dont thats much better in general but if I can eat that chicken more often in different situations I'd be happy. I dont like veggies :( that sucks and I know will bite me in the ass..

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, my girlfriend broke up with me last night.

You know what that means.

I don't have to worry about her interfering with my lifts anymore!

jrush64

Banned
Ok thanx. I was just looking for like 2 Dumbbells and a barbell. I was thinking I could get from like Amazon or Walmart. I have a small room so no space for large equipment

Szu

Hey Fitness Gaf

Saw a bulk up thread and decided to finally get some courage and visit this thread for some help and advice.

I'm 170 lbs, 5'9, thin framed but have a small gut, like a muffin top almost but not really (cant tell). Anyways, my arms lack muscle, my chest is horrible and my thighs are too skinny. You can say I have a dad bod in a way (father of 2, 30 yrs old), but not unheathly. I lose weight pretty easy and I will like my body has gotten into shape pretty fast in the past (no weightlift experience) from just running/push ups.

I want to feel better about how I look, my stomach should be flatter than what it is (I dont want to be skinny skinny, just no pudge, dont need a crazy six pack now). I want my arms to look somewhat muscular.

I think once I have a foundation set I'd really be motivated to go to a gym, right now I just dont have that confidence, let alone a good foundation.

-Tuesday I basically did 3 sets of curls, 3 sets of push ups, a set up sit ups and those bike sit ups (i have 1 more sit up set but dont know name of it) and went swimming (swam a couple laps and tread water)

-Wednesday I did 3 sets of curls, 3 sets of push ups, 2 sets of lunges w/ weights, and the sit up routine again, and rode my bike for a couple of miles for fun

I saw War Eagles post in the other thread where he gave a nice 3 day workout with links that I will definitely be looking into. I will focus on the Core Workout link and adding the squats routine with dumb bells as well as looking into the flat bence press w/ dumb bells but I need something to lay on, any suggesstions? I live alone, apartment, I can check out the weight room but I rather stay within my apt if possible.

Food - I know diet is ridiculously important, but I dont eat horrendously aka, I dont snack 24/7, I'm not eating fast food every day, I dont drink soda everyday, etc. I've seen recommendations on food but I'm a single guy with a kitchen that lacks a lot of necessities due to $$ / never needed it. I dont eat good, usually sandwiches (turkey, lettuce, cheese), frozen pizza, fishsticks, tv dinners, basically easily/readily made food that I find tasty. I know this will need to change eventually.
I bought myself a whole chicken (grocery store sells them hot and ready), pulled off all white meat and started eating chicken sandwiches each day but I dont thats much better in general but if I can eat that chicken more often in different situations I'd be happy. I dont like veggies :( that sucks and I know will bite me in the ass..

Hi, I'll keep this simple. To answer your question, you can build muscle at a slower pace with just 20 lbs DBs.

Do some research on body weight routines. Also look into BW that can supplement light weights.

As for the arms, try different routines than the standard curls. Google "21's".

Don't forget about your triceps. You don't want just half an arm.

Cooter

Might be my 6th rest day of the year today. I'm getting off work late and there's no way I'm missing my Warriors!

Baleoce

I've recently taken up swimming, and it's going well, I've started to get comfortable with bilateral swimming, and I've been working on my breathing technique as well. Now I'm wanting to do some supplementary weight workouts to build a bit more strength and help improve my swimming further, but don't really know what it is i should be working on.

As for a schedule, I'm looking to workout on weekdays only, and probably gonna do monday, wednesday, and friday for swimming. and tuesday, thursday for weights. Unless there's a better way of partitioning my time. Any help is much appreciated :)

Szu

Might be my 6th rest day of the year today. I'm getting off work late and there's no way I'm missing my Warriors!

Slacker!!!!

61218259.jpg

BumRush

Hey Fitness Gaf

As Szu said, you can do it...to an extent. If you are truly motivated to do it, try a free week at the gym as soon as possible. At your size, 20 lbs DBs aren't going to do much for long BUT there are gains to be had with bodyweight routines.

Cooter

That's like, 1 rest day a month. Are you going to hit double-digit rest days this year?
I better step up my commitment if I plan on hitting single digits! Sometimes I'll just blackout and find myself in the gym parking lot. These genetics have a mind of their own!

mdsfx

Sorry to ask more questions. I promise I'm reading to find answers. With a recomp diet, on the off/cardio days when I'm eating below maintenance calories, do I adjust my calories to make up for my workout? Otherwise the average is a huge deficit...

Sorry to ask more questions. I promise I'm reading to find answers. With a recomp diet, on the off/cardio days when I'm eating below maintenance calories, do I adjust my calories to make up for my workout? Otherwise the average is a huge deficit...

Then don't go too low below maintenance on rest days. Recomp diets are legit, but I find that too large of a calorie gap between days leads to food binging and messing with your goals.

mdsfx

Then don't go too low below maintenance on rest days. Recomp diets are legit, but I find that too large of a calorie gap between days leads to food binging and messing with your goals.
Thanks will keep that in mind. Im doing 300 below maintenance, but I also ran off another 600. Didn't know if that was an issue.

ILoveBish

Gym was great today, sadly I was running short on time so I had to cut my accessories short. Got a set of 8, 7 and 7 on dips, I had a lot more in me but had to get back to work.

Also as I walked into the gym, the dude told me they got the mint chocolate quest bars in. So I got 1 bar and just finished it. Really good. But I was able to brainwash myself into hating it after so I won't eat another.

Gotta stay strong.

Had cheese again tonight, which feels bizarre on a cut. Have found I've been getting to the end of the day with a few hundred calories to spare, which is nice.

mdsfx

Also as I walked into the gym, the dude told me they got the mint chocolate quest bars in. So I got 1 bar and just finished it. Really good. But I was able to brainwash myself into hating it after so I won't eat another.

Gotta stay strong.

Those bars are absolutely disgusting. You can pack all the flavor you want into that brown mush, but it's still terrible. Not worth it.
#LIES

Sadetar

Thanks! I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope your magical healing powers keep working!
I continue being overly optimistic and believe that I am unique snowflake and an unicorn. :D Seriously though, I do believe I will be fine. ^_^

Good hurt is good haha. It doesn't help that I haven't worked out consistently for a few months. It will fade soon enough.

Aww, I'm sad that you can't work out much :( Soon though! You'll heal and be back in the game :)
Good hurt is brilliant! You will miss it when your body gets used to it. :p Just keep at it! You will be golden.

I am also sad about it and it is hard to keep myself from doing something I shouldn't be doing. I would love to do squats... even with just body weight ones, but nope. It will take a long time before I am working with higher weights. But hey, I will be so happy when I can just even do them. :)

It's unreal how much my legs hurt from Monday lol.

Day 2 this evening, push through the pain! Once I'm not waddling, I will take a squat form video so you guys can make sure I'm doing it right.
This is great news! Can't wait!

Same! It's a good hurt, even though it hurts too much to do a workout tonight. Haha

Got a heating pack on my legs to try to loosen them up a bit. I'll try and do some stretching tonight too.
Always remember to do stretches after the work outs too. I am sure you did that though. :p

I can only imagine how bad it will be for me, when I can get back to it...

yeah baybay
Oooh yeah. I love it when you share those
food
porn pics. :p

I actually like cardio (well, sprinting since I use to run track competitively). Its just that physically (and according to doctor's advice) I should continue cardio work, so I decided to start training for a half marathon. My training regimen does have weight work embedded into the program, just not super intense hypertrophic stuff. Although, I'm starting to want to do that more the more times I go into the gym.

I haven't really decided an ultimate goal other than the improved cardiovascular health, but I guess I would like to decrease my body fat % and have visible abs again (which are actually starting to come in, the wonders of a good diet :) )
Oooooh! When are you planning to share some progress pics with us? Soon I hope. ;)

You'll be fine doing cardio. It'll just make it harder to gain muscle than if you weren't.
Talking about cardio, I know you do loads of biking. Do you have those huge biking legs? Have you ever posted a leg pic that I have totally missed? I can bike a bit currently with my granma bike and I go basicly every where with it. I am just curious that can that help me maintain the muscles and how much muscles you can actually gain with biking if you do it as much as you do.

Also it sounded that there might be some good news on the knee! Awesome. Hopefully it is getting better.

Weighted pull-ups? Yes please. Love doing these. They make body weight pull ups seem so much easier.

Ugh:

"Why don't you just use the lat pull-down machine?"
Looking good. :) I can't do a single one, I just hang there like a challenged monkey.

Thanks guys. Pull ups have been a focus of my workouts for about 6 years now. Practice makes perfect. I'd like to start pushing my muscle ups again but I'm afraid of tweaking my shoulder. I'm not even sure the muscle ups caused it last time but I suspect they were. Still most proud of my 55lb muscle up out of all my lifts.
55 ln muscle up? That is insane! Any video material of that by any chance? :D

I started jogging regularly about two months ago, and I feel pretty great about my progress. My route is approximately 6.1 km (~3.8 miles), but there are several hills; one of them is especially steep. Back then, I had to take a break to catch my breath at least every half kilometer, and I had to walk all uphill parts.

Today, I hit my first major milestone: I managed to run the whole route without a single break. Feels really good.
It took me 39 minutes, so I guess my next goal is to increase my speed in order to do it in 30 minutes or less.
That is great to hear! Great work this far and good luck for your new goal!

Bigging up one of my cycling homiez. Quadzilla bringing the pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ
Oooh. I saw that earlier today! Loved the video!
Even though I thought it was a total waste since they could have toasted two of them at the same time. :p

I waited so long, I finally took the plunge.

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/7896613-v...-black-or-white-6300-series-refurb-309-48?v=1

Got the black one for 242 shipped after coupon. Finally joining the vitamix master race. Paid with amex for even more warranty.
Totally jealous. :p

J. Bravo

Looks good to me....

I'm no expert, but that looks pretty solid. I would suggest to limit dancing around once you've unracked the weights - it's a waste of energy stepping back and forth as much as you are. I think an ideal setup requires only 2 or 3 steps max - 1 foot back, 2nd foot back, and maybe a single adjustment. Not a big deal, but it's about the only thing I can identify.

Make sure to take your breath in before you start descending. If you're still breathing in on your way down you're not taking the biggest breath you can and your core isn't as tight as it can be.

Dude, it looks really good. It's almost as if you didn't trust yourself at first (a lot of movement before the squat) but your actually squat form was excellent. Well done.
Thanks fellas. The dancing around was me getting my feet in their comfortable positions. I would have gone for a couple more reps but the safety bars were uneven cuz I'm dumb, so I didn't want to have to bail like that. I usually try to breath like that, but it's kind of hard. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Benched 250x1 today. Not bad imo.

Sadetar

Worked up to a 445lb reverse band squat for my max effort lower body today, 25 lb PR. My squats were stalling for a while but now that I've narrowed my stance and widened my grip I'm starting to progress again.

https://instagram.com/p/3fauHLDi4S/
That was ridiculously impressive! Wow.

I wanted to share with the thread that yesterday I hit a new PR on Bench Press.

after the injury that put me out of the strength game for a year, yesterday I did 72.5 kgs for 8 reps, that's my bodyweight x 8.

All this time (12 fucking months) I have been doing OHP and BP but there was always a small sensation on my wrist remainding me that something wasn't right.

The last couple of weeks I've been doing those lifts with no weird sensation whatsoever, I have finally forgotten I once had a problem there.

I remember very very well I was about to put 75 kgs on the bar when the injury ocurred, I have never done it but with 8 reps on 72.5 and no bad wrist sensation, I am finally moving up.

this makes me very very happy. I have missed the thrill of strength goals all this time.
That is brilliant news! I am so happy for you! :D

It's hard as hell to do.

Unrelated, this shit just blows my mind (25 extreme pullup versions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FN4Z26kPVY
That body control is insane.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.......

Will try (probably will die).
If you do, you better record it... you know, so we can all watch your last moments in your funerals. :p

Earlier this week, my buddy asked me if I wanted to chill on Sunday. I told him I couldn't, my wife and I had to go to her parents' with the baby (lie, I just wanted to relax by the pool, mow the lawn, workout, etc.). 2 hours later he said that it was for a wing and beer festival and suddenly the plans i "had" were cancelled and I was free...
Hahahah, oh my. I wish I had this good excuses to throw around. :D

Those bars are absolutely disgusting. You can pack all the flavor you want into that brown mush, but it's still terrible. Not worth it.
#LIES
I want to try the new flavour so badly since everyone is totally hating on them. I think they should just ship them to me.

#WishThisWasTheTruth

Well, my girlfriend broke up with me last night.

You know what that means.

I don't have to worry about her interfering with my lifts anymore!
Awwwww, I am sorry to hear that. You will be fine - better than fine to be honest when you can now concentrade on your lifts. Just be sure to share your progress with us. ;)

Talking about cardio, I know you do loads of biking. Do you have those huge biking legs? Have you ever posted a leg pic that I have totally missed

No, I don't do the pics thing. You wont generally hear me talking numbers either. Maybe it's the reserved Brit in me, but I've never really felt the need to share. I'm here mostly to assist the noobs / represent cardio GAF. ;)

As for the legs, it's mostly sprinters and track cyclists that have the massive ones. I'm neither. That said, my calves are far better than the average bear, and my quads aren't too shabby either for my general size (this in part is what's causing the knee issues). As far as getting good muscles whilst cycling, it's do-able if you do as the sprinters. Lower cadence (50-70 rpm) pushing very large gears, and plenty of cycling standing up. But you need to have reliable knees to do a lot of it without damage.

Sadetar

No, I don't do the pics thing. You wont generally hear me talking numbers either. Maybe it's the reserved Brit in me, but I've never really felt the need to share. I'm here mostly to assist the noobs / represent cardio GAF. ;)

As for the legs, it's mostly sprinters and track cyclists that have the massive ones. I'm neither. That said, my calves are far better than the average bear, and my quads aren't too shabby either for my general size (this in part is what's causing the knee issues). As far as getting good muscles whilst cycling, it's do-able if you do as the sprinters. Lower cadence (50-70 rpm) pushing very large gears, and plenty of cycling standing up. But you need to have reliable knees to do a lot of it without damage.
Ah, thanks for the reply. :)

That explains why I don't remember seeing a single pic of you. Oh well, I can't have it all. ;)

I can also forget my cycling gains then - my knee is partially broken as it is and I wish not to make it any worse. There is small bone chips and other nice stuff in it. I can live with it just fine and it doesn't bother me basicly at all, but I think what you just described would be too much for it. I also need to have my spine in neutral position all the time and I can't really do that much sprints with my granma styled bike either.

I guess I probably should've taken a picture of before I started training. I don't think I'm ready to show any progress pics
sorry Sadetar
hopefully around the July 4th weekend I might.

Also, the Warriors game is today, and the struggle is real to not eat all the greasy sloppy delicious goodness that will be served

Sadetar

I guess I probably should've taken a picture of before I started training. I don't think I'm ready to show any progress pics
sorry Sadetar
hopefully around the July 4th weekend I might.

Also, the Warriors game is today, and the struggle is real to not eat all the greasy sloppy delicious goodness that will be served
Awwwwww. Oh well, I can try to survive without them... *sob, sob*

If you haven't taken any photos you still might want to take at least some sort of photo now so you can compare how much progress you have in a month. I am definitely waiting to see those photos on July by the way. Just so you know. :p

Oh and stay strong! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom