• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Really wish I took a before pic in January when I started out. Everyone I know is telling me I look bigger and healthier but I personally can't see a difference.
That's the problem. You see yourself every day. Always take pictures, even if you don't intend to share them.

Well, I'm about half way through my cut. It's odd though, my chest looked bigger then than it does now.

Edit - I'm stronger at least, so that's something.

Chocobro

So glad I don't need to use powder to hit my targets any more. Never was a fan.

I don't need to either. Funny thing is I have to cut the amount of some of my protein sources because I'm consuming a bit more than I should for my current BW, 160g protein. I miss drinking cappuccino flavored whey though lol.

mdsfx

By the way, I know I post a lot in this thread, arguably too often, but there is so much positive reinforcement and validation here that it's just great to be a part of a group like this. This is epecially true for someone taking a lot of crap throughout their life due to their smaller size / frame.

So... Thanks :)

currently at work: don't mind me guys, just looking at shirtless pics of doods

its all good cause they know what lifestyle I am involved in and that included mirin the hard work

gj!

BumRush

By the way, I know I post a lot in this thread, arguably too often, but there is so much positive reinforcement and validation here that it's just great to be a part of a group like this. This is epecially true for someone taking a lot of crap throughout their life due to their smaller size / frame.

So... Thanks :)

In all honesty, I thought you were trying to break Psycho's |OT7| record in half the time.

Just kidding, your posts are great! Your progress is incredible and motivating dude, so do not stop.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
currently at work: don't mind me guys, just looking at shirtless pics of doods

its all good cause they know what lifestyle I am involved in and that included mirin the hard work

gj!

Ain't no shame in miring.

YNNA0Dy.jpg

Szu

In all honesty, I thought you were trying to break Psycho's |OT7| record in half the time.

Just kidding, your posts are great! Your progress is incredible and motivating dude, so do not stop.

Yeah, you don't want to turn into Psycho.

I have no idea what this means.

JCX

What about fish? Or does that sort of fall under the 'meats' category for you?

Yeah same thing to me. Don't really like either.

You're not using protein powder? It's pretty much required to hit daily protein intake for me. Each scoop is 24g so you can do 2 scoops twice a day and be at ~100g protein just from that. Even more if you add stuff like milk to it, but I see you don't like dairy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSNYGI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Aside from that I would recommend fish since it's easier to cook and eat and eggs every now and again.

Protein shakes are good, I use optimum now. My worry is that I heard you're supposed to have 1 gram of protein per pound of your weight (is this broscience?). I weigh 255 now, trying to lose weight on a high protein diet. 255g of protein seems like overkill though.

Protein shakes are good, I use optimum now. My worry is that I heard you're supposed to have 1 gram of protein per pound of your weight (is this broscience?). I weigh 255 now, trying to lose weight on a high protein diet. 255g of protein seems like overkill though.

I'd say it's more like 1g/lb of LEAN body weight. But even if we say it's 1g/lb of protein in general, the idea is that you eat so much protein because it's the most filling of the macronutrients and would result in you eating less in general (egg protein is a good choice if you don't particularly like meat directly btw). If you're sucking in liquid protein (spiked with sugar/fats as well most likely) that just runs through you like water, then it kinda goes against the principle of the diet.

If you want a couple references of how much protein you need to consume:

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Azulsky

Yeah same thing to me. Don't really like either.

Lean body mass not current body mass. So your goal weight.

Also 0.8g/lb is fine and probably also overkill

I do 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off x 10.

...and by on, I mean, world exploding in light and pain, and by off, I mean desperately gulping in oxygen and trying not to puke. I don't recommend you start with that.

mdsfx

If it's treadmill, I do 1 minute at 6.5 mph, 1 minute at 10 mph, alternating for 15 minutes. then I lift for 45.

That's a nice clip. I've been trying to get down to a 6-minute mile and i'm doing interval training, slowly increasing the time that i run at that speed.

Even though i can only run for so long at that pace, for a little bit i feel almost invincible. Something about running at a 'fast' pace when you feel your muscles pushing/stretching, your heart beating, and your lungs sucking up air... there's a point after adjusting to it where everything just clicks and you feel like a finely-tuned machine (even if you aren't).

Cooper

Thanks everyone for the compliments! It makes the workout high last a little longer. :)

Congrats, you make it look so easy. I can only get 1/2 way on 1RM on that weight T_T.

If it looks easy, that's only because you can't see my face. I probably looked like the angriest person in the world for that minute. Also, this is the result of about 2 years of lifting for me. I seem to remember you started right around the beginning of this year, no?

Imm0rt4l said:
Too much real life

It does seem pretty accurate. I'm obviously neither ripped nor trying to attract women, but a few weeks ago, I did some push-up variations (close hands, elevated feet). I must have had a decent pump, because as I was leaving one of the male trainers at the gym told me my triceps looked great. heh.

BumRush

That's a nice clip. I've been trying to get down to a 6-minute mile and i'm doing interval training, slowly increasing the time that i run at that speed.

Even though i can only run for so long at that pace, for a little bit i feel almost invincible. Something about running at a 'fast' pace when you feel your muscles pushing/stretching, your heart beating, and your lungs sucking up air... there's a point after adjusting to it where everything just clicks and you feel like a finely-tuned machine (even if you aren't).

LOL I know (and love) the feeling...

JCX

I'd say it's more like 1g/lb of LEAN body weight. But even if we say it's 1g/lb of protein in general, the idea is that you eat so much protein because it's the most filling of the macronutrients and would result in you eating less in general (egg protein is a good choice if you don't particularly like meat directly btw). If you're sucking in liquid protein (spiked with sugar/fats as well most likely) that just runs through you like water, then it kinda goes against the principle of the diet.

If you want a couple references of how much protein you need to consume:

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Lean body mass not current body mass. So your goal weight.

Also 0.8g/lb is fine and probably also overkill

Thanks for the advice. This makes my protein goals a lot more realistic.

sphinx

the piano man
what a day... we had the hottest day in the year in Germany so far, so where I live, everybody goes to the river to use it like a beach, lay around and do stuff shirtless or in bikini and the likes.

I was warming up to do some cardio and enjoy myself like everybody else and some drunken douche bags where making fun of me cause I was stretching and doing random warm-up moves (nothing like an attention whore, no handstand and shit like that).

I was listening to my mp3 so I didn't notice until one guy was about to go to my side to imitiate my warm-up moves but I was already done and moved somewhere else, his friends where like "ooh too bad"..

I was a bit scared, germans don't like turks and I look like one so I didn't want to show a middle finger or anything. I just minded my own business.

I was still wearing my shirt.

then on my way back I took my shirt off because everyone and their mother was almost naked I thought "why the fuck can't I?" and I knew something was going to happen. so I went jogging and when I ran past the most crowded part a bunch of guys started screaming in a military tone "ONE TWO ONE TWO ONE TWO...." I could have turned and smiled but said "no fucking way, I am out of here" and pretended I didn't hear anything casue I was too concentrated listening to Bonnie Taylor and receiving her infinite power.

finished my day and now I need a drink.... and take a shower.

Very nice sphinx. Welcome back to PR land!

I did a baby pull-up pyramid today, maxing at 3 reps. Thanks for the suggestion.

congratulations Cooper, just keep at it. stay there a couple of weeks until you feel your third rep is very solid,

then, when you think it could make sense to add the extra set with 4 reps, be prepared in case it doesn't go as intended.

so for example, you have done 1-2-3 and then the extra set you do only 2, barely. Well, now go on to complete the intended amount of reps doing singles. then try the next set with 3, if you fail complete the amount of reps in singles or doubles and so on.

it's damn hard to overcome plateaus in this particular exercise so you have to be creative with how you approach it.

about me and the PR, I know I have mentioned similar things in the past that I am very well after the injury but I feel like this time is for real, next time I will put 75 kgs on the bar and see how it goes. there's nothing standing on my way to improve Bench numbers.

Squat on the other hand, that went to the closet again, my left knee gave me a real scare some weeks back so I'd rather take care of that

Spiritreaver said:
Pic on Facebook

hey :) I just saw a pic you posted 3 hours ago on FB

I wan't to say BRAVO, your cut is going fantastic.

it takes so much discipline and effort to pull that off that I thought I'd let you know that people notice, even if they don't say a word or give a "like" and you are an inspiration.

what a day... we had the hottest day in the year in Germany so far, so where I live, everybody goes to the river to use it like a beach, lay around and do stuff shirtless or in bikini and the likes.

I was warming up to do some cardio and enjoy myself like everybody else and some drunken douche bags where making fun of me cause I was stretching and doing random warm-up moves (nothing like an attention whore, no handstand and shit like that).

I was listening to my mp3 so I didn't notice until one guy was about to go to my side to imitiate my warm-up moves but I was already done and moved somewhere else, his friends where like "ooh too bad"..

I was a bit scared, germans don't like turks and I look like one so I didn't want to show a middle finger or anything. I just minded my own business.

I was still wearing my shirt.

then on my way back I took my shirt off because everyone and their mother was almost naked I thought "why the fuck can't I?" and I knew something was going to happen. so I went jogging and when I ran past the most crowded part a bunch of guys started screaming in a military tone "ONE TWO ONE TWO ONE TWO...." I could have turned and smiled but said "no fucking way, I am out of here" and pretended I didn't hear anything casue I was too concentrated listening to Bonnie Taylor and receiving her infinite power.

finished my day and now I need a drink.... and take a shower.

wow thats sucks man. Don't let it discourage you though, they are just a bunch of douchebags

sphinx

the piano man
wow thats sucks man. Don't let it discourage you though, they are just a bunch of douchebags

this goes back to the post Psychotext did about how when you do something for your body, you are a cunt.

This was definitely muscle shaming,

not that I am muscled but I clearly work out and that's enough for those fuckers.

Tyler goddamnit! If you're going to listen to 80s power ballads, get the artist right!

:D

dude it's not a power ballad, it's a fine mix of wagnerian rock, Soft rock and Synthpop!!

yeah I mean Tailor lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom