• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadetar

Decided to do strict power cleans/press again.

Didn't go a PR this time.

Recorded one of the sets.

135 lbs x 5

I messed up on the 3rd rep because the bar landed a bit farther from my shins.

Not bad, huh?

http://youtu.be/dzO6aiIqqEQ
Wait, how old you are again? I am starting to think you are immortal - you don't seem to age at all...

Oh yeah, and the lifts were as awesome as I would expect from a super human being.

Oh, I see, only 50. Nevermind then. I mean 55 would have been a totally different story.

Who am I kidding. We all know you said the lower number just to make us all feel a bit better after you noticed how amazed we were.

Thanks, man. I try. Cooter doesn't need to try. His damn genetics just allow him to do things.
Lol. If you weren't Asian I would say you two are related. :p

mdsfx

Tomorrow is shoulders, traps, arms. I think I'm going to test my 1RM for standing press/military. Hoping for bodyweight (155). know i can get close, but that might be a little lofty. We'll see...

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
This shit reminds me of OG Maco. Got to say I've listened to this like 4 times since. Trap music transcend language.

Shit I know the feel.

Goodlife DBs stop at 100s and I don't BB shrug because I want children some day. So I'm doing some sweet shrug music for 40-50 rep sets..

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, meals for one makes it much easier to track macros.

Indeed!

Awwwww, I am sorry to hear that. You will be fine - better than fine to be honest when you can now concentrade on your lifts. Just be sure to share your progress with us. ;)

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. :)

Not that I regret my time with her, but it is true that spending time together really made me slack off on my workouts.

And yes, I'll definitely be posting progress pics soon, once I reach my goal of 170 lbs. (currently at 159).

ILoveBish

Since i broke my fast for that quest bar today, broke it again for some more high fat cake and some smoked turkey breast. Oh well, we'll see how things go tomorrow.

sphinx

the piano man
https://soundcloud.com/oriuplift/uponly-117-no-talking

This is my jam at the gym right now, SO GOOD. TranceGAF represent.

this is good.

speaking about music, if I ever want to go for a PR or an extra music-induced boost, I put this version of "Holding out for a hero" by Bonnie Taylor on my mp3.

the song is great for any fitness related thing, but particularly from 2:37 on, where the drums start and just go on a crescendo,

if you manage to make that mega climax in 3:36 coincide with your lift, then you will experience a fitgasm. There's thunderstorm in the background ffs

Ive got goosebumps doing that plenty of times already lol.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah... I have to agree, but Sphinx, if you like it and it works for you then who cares.
I ran a race to a Selena Gomez song once >_>

it's a matter of common sense.

for example, I clicked and heard FallingEdge's song and didn't like it. I can't imagine ever using it for any fitness related thing.

do I need to go out of my way and post "lolol FE, what a terrible song you've got there, sorry, I am laughing while listening to it" ?

mdsfx

it's a matter of common sense.

for example, I clicked and heard FallingEdge's song and didn't like it. I can't imagine ever using it for any fitness related thing.

do I need to go out of my way and post "lolol FE, what a terrible song you've got there, sorry, I am laughing while listening to it" ?
Ah,I get your point but don't take it personally. Music is like that. If I played you some of my Latin playlist you would literally be crying with laughter.

Edit: Case in point:seriously, I love this song. Don't give a sh*t what you think lol And that's enough of my dark secrets for one day. Tune in tomorrow for embarrassing home videos.

Get over it sphinx, it wasn't an attack on you. I just had no idea people listened to that stuff any more, it was embarrassing enough the first time around (the hairstyles didn't help).

Looks like a good bench, but you'll still get FAR more bang for your buck buying used.

I have dumbells very similar to those and I got so pissed off swapping the weights around that I now own 15 sets of them. Also, they're not going to really be heavy enough to use for dumbell squats / deadlifts.

mdsfx

Looks like a good bench, but you'll still get FAR more bang for your buck buying used.

I have dumbells very similar to those and I got so pissed off swapping the weights around that I now own 15 sets of them. Also, they're not going to really be heavy enough to use for dumbell squats / deadlifts.
Agree with both of these points. Used is where it's at and swapping weights with those is a total nuisance. I used to have some... .

Faiz

On the subject of dumbells I've been looking at different adjustables to add to my home gym and this description for the bow flex selectechs gave me a good chuckle

Adjust from in 5-pounds to 52.5-pounds in 2.5-pound increments (up to the first 25-pounds) so you can gradually increase your strength without bulking up

Short answer, no.

Long answer, maaaaayyyybbeeeee.... but you need to do some crazy things with nutrient timing and fasted exercise to make proper use of it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
On the subject of dumbells I've been looking at different adjustables to add to my home gym and this description for the bow flex selectechs gave me a good chuckle

Lol I have these in my home gym. They're pretty good but doing dumbbell press can be troublesome since the dumbbell itself is so wide.

Faiz

Probably aimed at a certain subset of women. The obsession I've seen with not getting bulky is crazy.

IT'S NOT THAT FUCKING EASY.

/weeps into keyboard

And a pox on the genetic freaks for whom it is!

Edit - Oh, and I did a shitload of reading on the subject, and for serious lifting, most people consider these the gold standard: http://www.ironmaster.com/Quick-Lock-Dumbbell-System-75-lb-set-with-Stand.html

Yep, that's what I'm looking at most likely. Might start with the 45s though, since they are expandable, and price is a small concern ATM. I've been watching craigslist but they never turn up there - only the more recognized brand names.

Szu

Wait, how old you are again? I am starting to think you are immortal - you don't seem to age at all...

Oh yeah, and the lifts were as awesome as I would expect from a super human being.

Lol. If you weren't Asian I would say you two are related. :p

I'm old enough to remember that Bonnie Tyler song. That's old.

As for being related to Cooter, my grandfather came to the States back in the 60's.

A lot of shit happened in the 60's. I'm just saying.

BumRush

Read that Coot has only MISSED 5 or 6 days this year and realized it feels like I've only lifted 5 or 6 days. On a string of 4 straight and building that momentum (it's ALL about momentum)

sphinx: his teasing was in good fun, we all like to listen to whatever works for us in the gym no one really cares either way

I myself enjoy Hall and Oates and Tears for Fears at the gym.

Also, ty all to those who suggested the Bluebird X Wireless IEMs. They are amazing and well worth the price.

This shit reminds me of OG Maco. Got to say I've listened to this like 4 times since. Trap music transcend language.

dude that song is aawesome

orca ninjas go rambo

All of this is true but I need more suggestions for music that sounds like that. Trap style specifically.

Personally, I like it, but I'm also a dad from the 80's.

I'm old. :(

music dad bod

jrush64

Banned

Ok thanx. I dont really need it for serious weight liftting. Thanks anyway. I'll see if i can get it used.

JCX

Any suggestions for protein sources beyond meat/nuts/dairy? I'm having trouble reaching my goals, partially due to not liking meat very much.

mdsfx

Any suggestions for protein sources beyond meat/nuts/dairy? I'm having trouble reaching my goals, partially due to not liking meat very much.
What about fish? Or does that sort of fall under the 'meats' category for you?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

You're not using protein powder? It's pretty much required to hit daily protein intake for me. Each scoop is 24g so you can do 2 scoops twice a day and be at ~100g protein just from that. Even more if you add stuff like milk to it, but I see you don't like dairy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSNYGI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Aside from that I would recommend fish since it's easier to cook and eat and eggs every now and again.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Read that Coot has only MISSED 5 or 6 days this year and realized it feels like I've only lifted 5 or 6 days. On a string of 4 straight and building that momentum (it's ALL about momentum)
Ha. And it's 5! Made it in yesterday before the game 1 victory. You're right, momentum is real.

So glad I don't need to use powder to hit my targets any more. Never was a fan.

What are your goals btw? Most people go way too high because of outdated info.

Unrelated, thanks to this damn thread I've had Total Eclipse of the Heart stuck in my head for the last hour. Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom