• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Stick with high and low rep compound days with higher rep accessories. There's no rule that says you can't focus equally on powerlifting and BBing. Obviously you won't have maximum results as if you strictly ran a PLing routine but you can still lift heavy and focus on strength while getting aesthetics.

Oddly I've found that the low rep stuff has made much more of a difference to my physique than the old high rep bodybuilder style stuff that I used to do.

It's storming hard outside. This is where I wish I had a home/garage gym.

Man, the only reason I'd ever want to own a house is for my own gym.

SEAN. You're killing it, you're my hero, man.

BumRush

Question on accessories...

I remember reading in here that many people mix them up a bit, but I'm wondering, if you only care about improving particular lifts (at the moment), is there much point rotating them / swapping them out that much?

For instance, say I only cared about bench at the moment, would it be generally advantageous to just do bench related accessories every lifting day, or is that not going to work out for some reason or another? For me at the moment it's pretty much all shoulders and chest work, leaving the rest of my body to be handled by the compounds.

Assuming I don't really care about progressing my deadlift / squat particularly quickly (they're both pretty good compared to my upper body stuff), is there any (other) major disadvantage to doing this?

The only downside I see would be fatigue. If you're doing chest accessories every day, you'll minimize the impact. Why dont you break chest and shoulders into 2 days and squat/DL into 1?

Can't do it, would negatively affect my cycling training too much. The day after squats and deadlifts together I'd be lucky to be able to press on the pedals, let alone do two hours of endurance work.

I'm not really getting fatigue as an issue from the weights because it's only three days a week (not taking into account greasing the groove stuff, which I'd argue actually helps the muscles recover).

Does anyone else on GAF swim as their main form of exercise? I've always loved swimming and did it competitively as a kid, but stopped when I got to high school. Fast forward to being in my early 30s, and I had gained a lot of weight in the past few years and was extremely unhappy with my appearance. I finally got sick of feeling like a gross blob and joined a gym with a pool at the end of July. I've been swimming 3-4 days a week for just over three months now and have lost about 15lbs in the process. I'm down from 225 to 210. My goal is to get to 190 (I'm 6'3''). The change in my appearance is already noticeable and it feels awesome. I'm really addicted to it now and if I don't get my regular workouts in, I feel really out of sorts. I even took lessons so I could improve my form and learn different drills. It's the perfect form of exercise for me, and I'm really interested in talking to other swimmers and trading workouts and training tips.

BumRush

Can't do it, would negatively affect my cycling training too much. The day after squats and deadlifts together I'd be lucky to be able to press on the pedals, let alone do two hours of endurance work.

I'm not really getting fatigue as an issue from the weights because it's only three days a week (not taking into account greasing the groove stuff, which I'd argue actually helps the muscles recover).

Oh, sure! If you're lifting three times a week and only need improvement in your push lifts, do push accessories

I used to do swimming for cardio, it really get's your heart pumping, and it's really soft on the body compared to most other forms of training.

I stopped, because I don't really do cardio anymore. It's great exercise though. The only thing I don't like about swimming is when I get water stuck in my ears.

blackflag

Just wanted to share a progress update.

So I started losing weight in February to look better for the summer. That morphed into keep losing weight for my trip to Vegas. I'm leaving for Vegas first thing tomorrow morning, so here are the final results.

From 228 to 191. 9 months of dieting (with two maintenance phases thrown in). What a difference. I look and feel like a totally different person.

I'm not exactly sure where to go after Vegas. We'll see :)

Awesome job man. That's some work put in right there.

SeanR1221

Big change. Nice. :)

Nicely done Sean!

Amsterdam? :p

Nice work, Sean.

YES SEAN!! Great progress. Keep it up.

Awesome progress :)

keep leaning out and try the bb/aesthetic side of things.

it is fun, trust me

Stick with high and low rep compound days with higher rep accessories. There's no rule that says you can't focus equally on powerlifting and BBing. Obviously you won't have maximum results as if you strictly ran a PLing routine but you can still lift heavy and focus on strength while getting aesthetics.

Listen to this guy. Good work so far tho Sean. Keep it up. And thanks bumb, having a grand time.

It's storming hard outside. This is where I wish I had a home/garage gym.

Man, the only reason I'd ever want to own a house is for my own gym.

SEAN. You're killing it, you're my hero, man.

Awesome job man. That's some work put in right there.

Thanks for such positive support guys :) I love this community.

And Edge, I think you're right. I find myself caring less about breaking PRs and will probably continue to chase asthetics. Could be tough around the holidays but I like a challenge.

What that article basically mentions only in passing is that only really works up to a certain point... then it's back to good old fashioned endurance training.

Which, on reflection basically means I should skip the HIIT stuff altogether.

BTW... it's still very much advantageous for the strong but unfit. So no, no TLDR just lift. Not for you.

The vitamin C / E aspect is interesting, but the dosages they use are ridiculously high. At least by RDA standards in the UK.

J. Bravo

Did legs for the first time in several weeks. Worked up to 3x8 pause squats at 225. I'm going home. My legs threatened severe cramps in the walk to my car lmao. Woe is me.

Thanks for such positive support guys :) I love this community.

And Edge, I think you're right. I find myself caring less about breaking PRs and will probably continue to chase asthetics. Could be tough around the holidays but I like a challenge.

as Cooter said, you definitely don't have to give up the hard compound lifts but you don't need to focus them as your main goal. I only just recently started to bench and squat again. Haven't deadlifted since last year. Doesn't hurt to try something new but you will get that itch and want to come back. I'm real OCD at the gym so I struggle sometimes if I want to go strength vs size/aesthetics.

FuuRe

I'm tired of being fat, i'm 32 years old, 5'9 and i weigh 210 pounds approximately

I don't know how to track my progress in a way that's visual enough to actually see progress.

I went to the gym a couple months ago, worked out my brains out by running half an hour 4 times a week, only to lose 5 pounds or so in a month and a half timespan.

Help me GAF you're my only hope

I'm looking for:

- Tools to track progress
- Ways to overpower my constant anxiety when i feel hungry
- Exercises for doing at home, hopefully something that demands little space, or youtube videos of them
- Any tips, any

Thanks guys

JoeNut

I'm tired of being fat, i'm 32 years old, 5'9 and i weigh 210 pounds approximately

I don't know how to track my progress in a way that's visual enough to actually see progress.

I went to the gym a couple months ago, worked out my brains out by running half an hour 4 times a week, only to lose 5 pounds or so in a month and a half timespan.

Help me GAF you're my only hope

I'm looking for:

- Tools to track progress
- Ways to overpower my constant anxiety when i feel hungry
- Exercises for doing at home, hopefully something that demands little space, or youtube videos of them
- Any tips, any

Thanks guys

Myfitnesspal is a great way to track calories, losing weight will be hugely influenced by diet over anything else for the first couple of weeks.
Measurements are the best way to track progress, this can be done easily just by how loose your jeans get tbh. I have gone from a 34" waist to 30" and none of my clothes fit me anymore :/

1: Myfitnesspal. Stick to it, it's a pain in the arse to record the stuff you eat initially, but as you get the stuff in that you eat regularly it gets better. You'll also learn pretty quickly what things eat up your calorie allowance and should be avoided.

2: Water, drink it like a fish. Any time you're hungry.

3: Don't worry too much about exercise to start, dial your diet in.

4: After getting your diet right, find something you enjoy doing, and do it. For me, it's mountain biking. For my missus, it's climbing. For many here, it's weights. For a bunch of people, it's something like running, or swimming, or football etc etc.

Fox318

MyFitnessPal is amazing. Honestly its helped me out the most, just being forced to track everything I eat plus the fitbit integration is fantastic.

Don't drink your calories.

Drink as much water as you can. I carry or leave in my car 2-4 refillable water containers.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'm getting an annoying strength imbalance on my DB press:

62.5s 4, 3, 3 left arm and 3x4 right arm

Time to stop jerking off.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Good shit Brolic!

I'm getting an annoying strength imbalance on my DB press:

62.5s 4, 3, 3 left arm and 3x4 right arm

Time to stop jerking off.
Wait...I'm confused. Are you doing one armed DB presses? And is this shoulder press or flat bench?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Wait...I'm confused. Are you doing one armed DB presses? And is this shoulder press or flat bench?

Standing shoulder dumbbell press. Both arms going up at once, left arm failed twice on the fourth rep while the right got it easy.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Maybe do one arm at a time? Like first a set of X on you weaker arm and then match that with your stronger arm.

Wouldn't feel right. It's probably time for a reset and some AMRAP work.

The rest of my workout went outstanding:

Squats - 250lbs 3x5 (last rep of last set paused)
Good mornings - 125lbs 4x10 ("hump it up" cue helped immensely mentally - thanks Brolic)
Pendlay rows - 205lbs 2x5, 1x6

JoeNut

Yep it's confirmed, brolic is a synth.

Have people discussed good workout music in here before? In general life I am not a big fan of metal but in the gym I love slip knot and I've just got into killswitch. Any other suggestions?

Fox318

I saw a broscience life guy in real life recently.

He had an oxygen mask on, toeshoes, beats, velcro ankle weights, and a weight lifting belt on while on the treadmill.

Azulsky

Have people discussed good workout music in here before? In general life I am not a big fan of metal but in the gym I love slip knot and I've just got into killswitch. Any other suggestions?

The only thing I havent really picked up is rap.

I usually do metal but I have been on an EDM kick lately.

Irobot82

You must go harder, more brutal, more death.

Job for a Cowboy, The Black Dahlia Murder, Heaven Shall Burn, Martyr AD, Norma Jean, On Broken Wings, The Taste of Blood

Wow, my metal is stuck in the 2000's lol!

JoeNut

You must go harder, more brutal, more death.

Job for a Cowboy, The Black Dahlia Murder, Heaven Shall Burn, Martyr AD, Norma Jean, On Broken Wings, The Taste of Blood

Wow, my metal is stuck in the 2000's lol!

never even heard of them! i don't want too screamy stuff though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom