• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

EDM always. I dont hate metal but I'm not sure I could listen to it while lifting.

Edit: new job kicked my ass this week but I still managed to lift 9 out of the last 10 days. Hitting a groove right now.

Fuck all that screamy shit. Would totally fuck with my focus.

People likes what they likes though (see the guy here who lifts to 80s power ballads). I can see why it would get people pumped.

Irobot82

Fuck all that screamy shit. Would totally fuck with my focus.

People likes what they likes though (see the guy here who lifts to 80s power ballads). I can see why it would get people pumped.

For sure, everyone has a preference. Metal helps calm me down and focus while also pumping me up!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My entire posterior chain is lit up today. And I've got to bench today. This will be interesting.

Brolics strength levels are out of control

At this point I would agree. I've also backed off everything but deadlift and bench.

Good shit Brolic!

Wait...I'm confused. Are you doing one armed DB presses? And is this shoulder press or flat bench?

Thanks bud.

Was very impressive to see you hit those last reps. Looked like you were near your end and kept pulling them out. You do your rows like i do, confirmation that i'm doing something right at least.

At that point it was a cardio issue, lol

Yep it's confirmed, brolic is a synth.

Have people discussed good workout music in here before? In general life I am not a big fan of metal but in the gym I love slip knot and I've just got into killswitch. Any other suggestions?

Lol

On the subject of music, I really should put a playlist together. Problem is, a lot of the stuff I listen to tends to be mixes and it can be quite jarring to have them start / end abruptly.

KillerBEA

never even heard of them! i don't want too screamy stuff though?

Try Power Metal then? I am not a big fan of screaming so I turned to power metal. Sabaton, Rhapsody of Fire, and Manowar would be good for workout music. I listen to these guys mixed in with Nightwish (kind of power metal kind of not), Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot etc... on Pandora when I am at the gym.

Ordered some slim fit jeans and they fit nice when I was just wearing them around the house, just trying to see if I should take them back or not. Currently wearing them right now and man, they might be tighter than I want them to be. Will give it a few more wears before deciding if I want to keep them or not.

JoeNut

Try Power Metal then? I am not a big fan of screaming so I turned to power metal. Sabaton, Rhapsody of Fire, and Manowar would be good for workout music. I listen to these guys mixed in with Nightwish (kind of power metal kind of not), Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Slipknot etc... on Pandora when I am at the gym.

sweet ok

I like to listen to more aggressive stuff when I'm working out...not a super fan of screamo either but its mostly music I liked from high school :p

Foo Fighters
Death from Above 1979
Envy on the Coast
Sum 41 (the album Chuck)
The Bronx
Arctic Monkeys
aaaand My Chemical Romance lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Honestly music means fuck all DURInG the lift. I black out everything when in I'm in the middle of lifting. You could tell me I won a million dollars and I wouldn't hear you.

After today I start training in my singlet and deadlift slippers. Time to get ready.

crpav

I will not listen to the overly screaming Metal stuff. Same for anything "satanic" in nature.

I do like stuff from Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, Escape the Fate, Killswitch Engage, Sonic Syndicate and some others.

BumRush

Honestly music means fuck all DURInG the lift. I black out everything when in I'm in the middle of lifting. You could tell me I won a million dollars and I wouldn't hear you.

After today I start training in my singlet and deadlift slippers. Time to get ready.

MJThrillerPopcorn.gif

ILoveBish

Haven't been able to sleep over 6 hours past 2 nights. I need more rest, so not going in today for the gym. Will rest up this weekend and start another new 531 session Monday.

I think when I move I'm going to grab a personal trainer for a while. Despite deloading my deadlift twice now I still can't get the same confidence I had with it as before I got injured at the start of the year. I've tried a number of different things, but it always feels "wrong" at the moment.

Faiz

Haven't been able to sleep over 6 hours past 2 nights. I need more rest, so not going in today for the gym. Will rest up this weekend and start another new 531 session Monday.

Hah man, that's like an average night for me... I'd be skipping weeks straight.

/sigh one day I'll see the fabled land of 8+ hours again. One day...

sphinx

the piano man

am I being called out here? :D

not sure cause "hero" by Bonnie Tyler ist definitely not a power ballad, It's just an up-beat song.

by the way, I got so fed up that I had to delete it from my player hehe other songs last longer I have to say.

EDIT: These days I listen to Madonna's Ray of Light songs in their instrumental version, no voice, just the original sound.

damn what a weird taste I have

Wulfric

Hey guys, at what point should you go from gaining weight to cutting? I was 145 lbs at the beginning of September and this week I was in the 156-158 lbs range. With me being only 5'4, I fear that more weight would simply hide muscle tone. For reference, this is how my Stronglift exercises looked this week:

Squats: 5x5 at 105 lbs
Bench Press: 5x5 at 105 lbs
Deadlift: 1x5 at 95 lbs
Overhead Press: 5x5 at 45 lbs
Barbell Row: 5x5 at 60 lbs

Should I try to go back down, or can I keep my current weight and continue to make progress?

sphinx

the piano man

mdsfx

I need help. Just found out the Half Marathon weather will be 30°F. What in the hell do I wear? I'm used to a tech shirt and running shorts...

Bbbrrrrrrrr

eot

Banned
Hey guys, at what point should you go from gaining weight to cutting? I was 145 lbs at the beginning of September and this week I was in the 156-158 lbs range. With me being only 5'4, I fear that more weight would simply hide muscle tone. For reference, this is how my Stronglift exercises looked this week:

Squats: 5x5 at 105 lbs
Bench Press: 5x5 at 105 lbs
Deadlift: 1x5 at 95 lbs
Overhead Press: 5x5 at 45 lbs
Barbell Row: 5x5 at 60 lbs

Should I try to go back down, or can I keep my current weight and continue to make progress?

You bench more than you deadlift? Isn't 95 lbs about the starting weight for deadlifts in stronglifts?

Wulfric

Yeah, DL was an exercise that I really wasn't comfortable doing until recently. It goes up in 10 lb increments, right? So it should catch up with the rest of the lifts.

eot

Banned
Yeah, I'm the same way (I'm worried I'm doing it wrong). It's just hard to do without weights because an empty bar on the floor is too low to grab from the proper position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom