• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Bumrush and Mdsfx should use compression shirts, the abs would shine through, (do you guys use them? cause you should, you'd look badass)
Funny enough, today is the first time I've owned one, but being 10lbs heavy doesn't make it that flattering. Would have to flex pretty seriously for abs to show through I think. I'm just using it as an undershirt/second layer for winter running.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Been pretty undisciplined with my diet lately. Hovering around 187-188 with ice cream here and there. A bowl of cereal or some french bread was common. Going for a max DL Tuesday and it's important to me I get down to 180 by then. The last 2 days have been 1600 cal and boy is there a difference between 2000 and 1600! General lack of energy and greater fatique. But.... down to 183.6 and should be 180 by Tuesday. Running 1600 again today and tomorrow with 2000-2200 on Monday night before the big lift.

BumRush

Bumrush and Mdsfx should use compression shirts, the abs would shine through, (do you guys use them? cause you should, you'd look badass)

First off man, you've made a ton of progress. Keep it up!!

I do own compression gear but never really wear it. When I go to the gym I usually wear a tank since I hate being hot while lifting. In my garage gym, usually a ratty t-shirt or sweatshirt depending on the season.

SeanR1221

Been pretty undisciplined with my diet lately. Hovering around 187-188 with ice cream here and there. A bowl of cereal or some french bread was common. Going for a max DL Tuesday and it's important to me I get down to 180 by then. The last 2 days have been 1600 cal and boy is there a difference between 2000 and 1600! General lack of energy and greater fatique. But.... down to 183.6 and should be 180 by Tuesday. Running 1600 again today and tomorrow with 2000-2200 on Monday night before the big lift.

Better post a video!

Cooter

You want to meet up and I'll just do everything with 1/2 the weight that you do?

Yes? Great, I'll bring my singlet.
No kidding. Come see me out west after a year and 2 or 3 cycles Brolic. Then we can at least be in the same ballpark.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well that's only going to be fair if you're doing them one handed.

You want to meet up and I'll just do everything with 1/2 the weight that you do?

Yes? Great, I'll bring my singlet.

No kidding. Come see me out west after a year and 2 or 3 cycles Brolic. Then we can at least be in the same ballpark.

Lol, would make it a fair weight. Like 315-405lbs rep for rep until one couldn't anymore.

sphinx

the piano man

woah looking good, why didn't you say this is a power clean? that's an amazing lift, few people here do it. congrats.

Funny enough, today is the first time I've owned one, but being 10lbs heavy doesn't make it that flattering. Would have to flex pretty seriously for abs to show through I think. I'm just using it as an undershirt/second layer for winter running.

yeah, that's the problem with tight shirts, no flab allowed, it's go 10% bf or go home. that's why I stopped using them lol. I think I usually hover around 17%, not sure quite frankly. tank-tops for me.

First off man, you've made a ton of progress. Keep it up!!

I do own compression gear but never really wear it. When I go to the gym I usually wear a tank since I hate being hot while lifting. In my garage gym, usually a ratty t-shirt or sweatshirt depending on the season.

thanks! I think I shoud be doing better but I feel well and motivated, I hope I can be more disciplined this month.

here in Germany compression stuff is good because it's always cold and/or windy but when I visit relatives in Mexico, no way I wear that, way too hot and sticky,

I feel like there should be a video. If I ever meet up with anyone, there's gonna be a deadlift duel video.

I'd challenge Fitgaf on a Pistol-Squat duel.

Imm0rt4l

It was real cool talking and lifting with you, Sean. Good times!

Sorry for the inactivity fitgaf. I've been in a slump since injuring my lower back/si joint. Rather than bemoan my current situation, I prefer to just do what I can in the mean time/keep to myself. Hope everybody's making gains, cuz I sure as hell ain't haha.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions, but I was diagnosed with tendinitis about a little over a month ago in my wrist. It's finally feeling back to normal (doctor said 4-6 weeks) and I'm feeling paranoid about aggravating it again when returning to lift weights next week. Any advice on exercises or stretches so I can avoid that?

went all 90s in the gym today, complete with zubaz, air max 90s, and a treasure troll shirt
11950546_777236335738299_995775779_n.jpg

Fit gaf meetup!

love this pic, so awesome!

sphinx

the piano man

Sorry for the inactivity fitgaf. I've been in a slump since injuring my lower back/si joint. Rather than bemoan my current situation, I prefer to just do what I can in the mean time/keep to myself. Hope everybody's making gains, cuz I sure as hell ain't haha.

damn sorry to hear that. you have a history with your lower back, if I remember correctly, I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions, but I was diagnosed with tendinitis about a little over a month ago in my wrist. It's finally feeling back to normal (doctor said 4-6 weeks) and I'm feeling paranoid about aggravating it again when returning to lift weights next week. Any advice on exercises or stretches so I can avoid that?

what exactly happened with your wrist? what were the symptons of your tendonitis?

as someone who had a wrist injury for a year, you have to be careful with the Overhead press, the Bench Press, specially with dumbbells, I'd avoid the dumbbells and use the barbell. Go very easy on the weight, yes it sucks that you feel like you could and should push more but health comes first,

machines were ok for me, pec-fly,frontal raises, lateral raises, all accessory is ok.

pull exercises were great, absolutely no problems whatsoever with the wrist

I hate not seeing progress from working out and eating on a measured diet. :\

how long have you been dieting/exercising?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
woah looking good, why didn't you say this is a power clean? that's an amazing lift, few people here do it. congrats.

Haha, thanks Sphinx. I'll label the next one.

Power cleans are definitely an amazing lift:
1. They build traps
2. They make you feel explosive
3. They're fun!

SeanR1221

Definitely. It was a fun time man.

I feel like there should be a video. If I ever meet up with anyone, there's gonna be a deadlift duel video.

If you ever meet up with any of us, you should be running s mini seminar haha

---

Edge, that outfit is badass

I'm down another .4, I'll freaking take it. Down to 218.6, lowest ever.

The vein looks really nice actually, but maybe I'm biased. Every time I see a new vein, I think of those suffering that are not vascular like FE and give thanks for my veins.

1) GJ w/ the weight loss
2) my vascularity is slowly but surely coming in

Edge, that outfit is badass

thanks! just wanted to some fun this morning

Everyone at the bday party im at thought you look awesome in those pants FE. Good job rocking them.

haha, thanks and tell them all I say hi and that I am available for all parties

what exactly happened with your wrist? what were the symptons of your tendonitis?

as someone who had a wrist injury for a year, you have to be careful with the Overhead press, the Bench Press, specially with dumbbells, I'd avoid the dumbbells and use the barbell. Go very easy on the weight, yes it sucks that you feel like you could and should push more but health comes first,

machines were ok for me, pec-fly,frontal raises, lateral raises, all accessory is ok.

pull exercises were great, absolutely no problems whatsoever with the wrist
This'll sound bizarre, but I had been teaching English in South Korea and the boys were really into being physical, especially with arm-wrestling. They didn't start right, and my wrist hurt like hell for a week or two. Came back after a month and a half and went to the gym to get back to the weights, but it aggravated the injury I suppose. My wrist was swollen and hurt to put weight on it or orient it in certain positions.

mdsfx

Good luck today Mike!

Thanks!

Holy crap it was hard to breathe today. Not sure if it was my head & chest cold, the cold weather, or both. The gear i bought helped tremendously though.

Anyways, hit my goal of under 2 hours at 1:58:00. Plenty of room for improvement next year.

Got my "everyone-is-a-winner" medal and damn proud of it lol

Enough of this running talk. After a 1-2 day recovery it's back to hitting legs hard!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just bought the membership for the NASA Federation and filled out my entry form. 6 weeks out, pretty much done building strength, now to hammer technique and work on recovery. Getting close!

Thanks!

Holy crap it was hard to breathe today. Not sure if it was my head & chest cold, the cold weather, or both. The gear i bought helped tremendously though.

Anyways, hit my goal of under 2 hours at 1:58:00. Plenty of room for improvement next year.

Enough of this running talk. After a 1-2 day recovery it's back to hitting legs hard!

Well done!

BumRush

Thanks!

Nice work bud!!

dantehemi

gonna get back into the gym tomorrow after a long layoff and some serious weight gain over the last couple years.

I'm currently trying a keto diet (had success with this in the past) and i was wondering what kinda weight training/cardio routine should i be doing? I'm 6'2' about 330lbs and still kinda strong (work construction as a pipe fitter)

i want to lose fat and gain muscle, but first and foremost i want to be healthy and not sore and tired all the time.

so what routines should i start with guys?

UrAvgGuy

Thanks!

great work man!

Thanks!

Nice Job, under 2 hours is a really impressive achievement .

ILoveBish

Good job mikey! Also forgot to say the sean/immortal pic looks awesome.

Yesterday for whatever reason, a few of us got into a race and i literally flew past everyone, maybe i am underestimating myself when it comes to sprint performance. Might mess around with that since i even impressed myself with how freaking fast i was. But only short bursts.

Oh and at my nieces/sister in laws bday party, had some armenian food and boom, up 5lbs overnight. Oh well, have a wedding today as well. Only a few more events till its back to glorious boringness.

Cooter

Now I have and idea what to shoot for at 60. But I'm white... Should I just give up that dream now?

SeanR1221

Any tips on deadlift grip?

Right now I'm squatting 275 but I can't get my deadlift reps past 275.

Switch to mixed grip if you're failing at double overhand.

To increase grip strength
- high rep double over hand deads
- farmer walks
- barbell shrugs.

Fox318

Switch to mixed grip if you're failing at double overhand.

To increase grip strength
- high rep double over hand deads
- farmer walks
- barbell shrugs.

But can't mixed grip fuck up your biceps or cause muscle imbalances? I've been trying to stick to double overhand for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom