• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

But can't mixed grip fuck up your biceps or cause muscle imbalances? I've been trying to stick to double overhand for that reason.

Flex your triceps hard to avoid fucking up your bicep. I mean it's not like it happens often. Using mixed grip is extremely common.

If you're totally against it, use straps :)

But can't mixed grip fuck up your biceps or cause muscle imbalances? I've been trying to stick to double overhand for that reason.

You're doing a handful of reps with them, it's not like you're going to suddenly start doing 12x5 on your heaviest deadifts and go all freaky arm wrestler build all of a sudden. We're all imbalanced in one way or another, all you're really doing is stopping the bar rolling.

Hell, if it makes you feel better you can switch which hand goes overhand each time you do your heaviest set. ;)

ILoveBish

Only got 4 hours of sleep. No gym today. Really not ready mentally to jump back in yet. Tomorrow should be good after a normal day.

SeanR1221

The water weight is real with all this Vegas food. 191 when I left. 192 the first morning. Then 196. Now 197! Hollllly shit. But that Oreo gelato in the hand dipped chocolate waffle cone was worth it

Some major calorie restriction will be going on when I get home on Friday.

BumRush

This site...

Man, I genuinely love hanging out with my wife and 15 month old so working out and staying healthy can be a chore sometimes. But coming in here, seeing everyone so dedicated gets me so fired up. I'm finding time to workout, eating well, etc. and I owe a lot of it to this community. So good.

JoeNut

well i have 2 days off work this week which means 2 days off the gym, so need to hit it hard today to compensate, hoping to get 5x5 60kg bench press today, wish me luck!

Crush dat shit.

Vaguely related, I just realised that by virtue of greasing the groove I'm now doing something like 120 push ups a day.

Some of you may remember my post a couple of weeks ago... I had decided to take a 2 week break from the gym and my SL 5x5 routine because it was starting to kill my body and my morale. I'm proud to announce that I'll be returning to the gym today with the intention of continuing my routine at a more customized pace AND becoming a cardio beast as I miss that son of a bitch.

I usually jump on the thread for a fast-paced run for about 15-30 minutes, but does anyone have a cardio routine you prefer and would recommend? Running is my favorite.

BumRush

Some of you may remember my post a couple of weeks ago... I had decided to take a 2 week break from the gym and my SL 5x5 routine because it was starting to kill my body and my morale. I'm proud to announce that I'll be returning to the gym today with the intention of continuing my routine at a more customized pace AND becoming a cardio beast as I miss that son of a bitch.

I usually jump on the thread for a fast-paced run for about 15-30 minutes, but does anyone have a cardio routine you prefer and would recommend? Running is my favorite.

HIIT or sprints will give you a much better workout. With that being said, doing a longer run (30 minutes) can be therapeutic.

Look into HIIT though. There are a TON of different ways to do it, but I do 1 min of sprints, 1 minute of light jog...rinse, repeat for 12-15 minutes.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
These past 4 days have reaffirmed why I will be maintaining for the foreseeable future. It's nice to never be very far from being fairly shredded. It took me 4 days of extremely strict eating to get back to an acceptable physique which was caused by a few weeks of complacency. Sitting at 181 and will be 180 tomorrow for my big DL. Yeah buddy!

BumRush

These past 4 days have reaffirmed why I will be maintaining for the foreseeable future. It's nice to never be very far from being fairly shredded. It took me 4 days of extremely strict eating to get back to an acceptable physique which was caused by a few weeks of complacency. Sitting at 181 and will be 180 tomorrow for my big DL. Yeah buddy!

Big DL is TONIGHT?

After my big PRs, I went into the gym a few days later and realized my back was really tight. I stretched as much as I could, but was only able to do a few squats before I just called it a day and rested. I kind of inadvertently took a week off (been busy) but I'm excited to get back at it today. Hopefully it goes well and my back is better.

Cardio? is that Spanish?

Cooter

Cardio? is that Spanish?
Mandatory...
Bp9000YCAAAdrWi.png

Anth0ny

question

over the last month or so I've been noticing some discomfort in my right wrist. I'd only feel it when I did pull ups, bench press and the odd barbell curl. However, the pain has gotten worse over time, and I knew if I kept going like this, 5 times a week at the gym lifting heavy shit, my wrist would eventually get super fucked. So, as my monthly gym membership expired, I decided to take a week off to let my wrist heal.

For the last week, pretty much my only exercise was walking. I tried to avoid any possible wrist strain. A week has passed, and my wrist hasn't gotten any better. While I don't feel any pain using a mouse, I work an office job and I'm on a computer for about 5 hours of my day, injured right wrist steady in that mouse position. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

I had my mind set on going back to the gym today, but I really don't want to fuck up my wrist any further. Should I still go and just lift lighter weight? Avoid wrist related workouts completely? I was thinking of just going HAM on cardio today.

I'm guessing the answer I'm going to get is "go to a doctor", but I was wondering if anyone here on fitGAF had any advice. maybe some of you have gone through this before. I'm gonna try to hit up a walk in clinic later this week.

thanks in advance!

J. Bravo

An unforeseen consequence of squatting in shorts that have a hole in then is that your ballsack hangs out at the bottom of each rep and your pants are threatening to tear more. I am thinking just one more set Lmfao

Edit: whoops tore on the last rep at 285 lmao noooo

HIIT or sprints will give you a much better workout. With that being said, doing a longer run (30 minutes) can be therapeutic.

Look into HIIT though. There are a TON of different ways to do it, but I do 1 min of sprints, 1 minute of light jog...rinse, repeat for 12-15 minutes.

Tried HIIT on the treadmill at my gym. Those fucking machines decrease the speed automatically if I select 10+ and happen to not be sprinting at that speed. Maybe I'll try it out on the stationary bike. Hmm

BumRush

Tried HIIT on the treadmill at my gym. Those fucking machines decrease the speed automatically if I select 10+ and happen to not be sprinting at that speed. Maybe I'll try it out on the stationary bike. Hmm

I'm confused. Why don't you set it at 10 mph and run at 10 mph (then lower it to jog)?

An unforeseen consequence of squatting in shorts that have a hole in then is that your ballsack hangs out at the bottom of each rep and your pants are threatening to tear more. I am thinking just one more set Lmfao

Edit: whoops tore on the last rep at 285 lmao noooo

lol, yeah I need to buy new shorts too. Anyone got some nice squat shorts they recommend?

entremet

question

over the last month or so I've been noticing some discomfort in my right wrist. I'd only feel it when I did pull ups, bench press and the odd barbell curl. However, the pain has gotten worse over time, and I knew if I kept going like this, 5 times a week at the gym lifting heavy shit, my wrist would eventually get super fucked. So, as my monthly gym membership expired, I decided to take a week off to let my wrist heal.

For the last week, pretty much my only exercise was walking. I tried to avoid any possible wrist strain. A week has passed, and my wrist hasn't gotten any better. While I don't feel any pain using a mouse, I work an office job and I'm on a computer for about 5 hours of my day, injured right wrist steady in that mouse position. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

I had my mind set on going back to the gym today, but I really don't want to fuck up my wrist any further. Should I still go and just lift lighter weight? Avoid wrist related workouts completely? I was thinking of just going HAM on cardio today.

I'm guessing the answer I'm going to get is "go to a doctor", but I was wondering if anyone here on fitGAF had any advice. maybe some of you have gone through this before. I'm gonna try to hit up a walk in clinic later this week.

thanks in advance!
Sounds like way too much volume and your connective tissue hasn't caught up.

Connective tissue--ligaments, tendons--takes much longer to strengthen than muscles, which is why well written programs make a point to give you balanced volume and recovery.

This is why unless you're very experienced, do not program for yourself.

Check your form on your pushing exercises as well. Grip the bar hard, like you're choking it. A tight grip shifts tension to your forearms, which can take heavy poundages.

What are you doing those five days?

ILoveBish

Earlier I said no gym today. I lied. I had every excuse not to go, barely any water drank past 2 days, less then 4 hours of sleep, not really feeling alert from being so sleepy, awful food from bday parties and a wedding, etc etc. I decided to just down some coffee and go anyway. Had a very good day all things considered. It was a all new 531 session, hit squats and got 5x240, 5x280 and then 3x315, I likely had 2 more in me, but I just didn't want to risk it. Racked it and rested 30 seconds and knocked out the last 2x315. After, I knocked out a 10x240. Went up on my accessories successfully as well. Good day.

Good luck buddy. More I travel down the road, more I'm convinced that it's the aesthetics keeping me going.

I'm confused. Why don't you set it at 10 mph and run at 10 mph (then lower it to jog)?

Usually I set it at 10-13 mph and then jump my legs to both sides and jump back on after the interval, but some of the treadmills at my gym automatically decrease the speed if Im not running at 10-13 mph on my own.

Cooter

Good luck buddy. More I travel down the road, more I'm convinced that it's the aesthetics keeping me going.
Yeah, unless you are willing to eat accordingly for your numbers to continue increasing (thus putting aesthetics on the burner) or get on gear there comes a point where looking like you prefer to look directly impacts strength gains. Sure you might eeck out small gains over years like I've done but as long as aesthetics is important to you the gains will become practically nonexistent.

TTOOLL

Third day of Crossfit and I did power cleans for the first time ever. The movement was kinda hard at the beginning but I could do it more easily at the end. Did lots of wall ball and thruster too. I feel like my arms weight a ton each right now haha

JoeNut

So I managed my goal! 5x5 60kg bench press, or "the big boy plates" as I seem to call them in my head. Had to pause briefly on the last 2 reps because I was really struggling, but considering I didn't have a spotter I was really happy! Think I will maintain this weight for a while until it becomes easier, before putting more weight on the bar.
I'll sleep well tonight!

crpav

The end of year, push myself all year, eat healthy by counting calories and macros burnt out physically and mentally is hitting me hard lately.

Last Christmas I was about 190 or so. Last day of vacation I finally said I am going to count my calories so got the myfitnesspal app on my phone.

I then really hit it hard at the gym and got down to 172 at my lowest and was putting up some decent weight and increasing pretty good. Well it's all crashing down. My shoulders hurt. Right one has always been messed up from falling off a fence many years ago and I never had it looked at. Legs and knees are sore as well as my forearm. Not sore as in I just lifted but as in I need to let them rest and heal.

I am still counting calories but cheating more and more as my motivation is dying from these small nagging injuries. I am sitting at about 175 but just feel terrible lately.

Might be time for a short term bulk just to let your body recover. Extremely difficult to cut forever, as your body can't effectively repair itself on a negative calorie balance.

Cooter

Might be time for a short term bulk just to let your body recover. Extremely difficult to cut forever, as your body can't effectively repair itself on a negative calorie balance.
This. Long-term cuts with heavy lifting will destroy you.

SeanR1221

What these guys said. At least have a month long maintenance phase thrown in.

This week in Vegas is my mini bulk for sure! With no heavy lifting attached to it 😭

Yo cooter, when I get back, what do you recommend? If I normally eat like 2100 calories a day, do a couple days of 1600ish?

Cooter

What these guys said. At least have a month long maintenance phase thrown in.

This week in Vegas is my mini bulk for sure! With no heavy lifting attached to it 😭

Yo cooter, when I get back, what do you recommend? If I normally eat like 2100 calories a day, do a couple days of 1600ish?
Yup. Run 1600 for 4-5 days and you'll be amazed how much you lean out.

Anth0ny

Sounds like way too much volume and your connective tissue hasn't caught up.

Connective tissue--ligaments, tendons--takes much longer to strengthen than muscles, which is why well written programs make a point to give you balanced volume and recovery.

This is why unless you're very experienced, do not program for yourself.

Check your form on your pushing exercises as well. Grip the bar hard, like you're choking it. A tight grip shifts tension to your forearms, which can take heavy poundages.

What are you doing those five days?

My schedule usually looks something like this:

Day 1: Bis/Tris/Legs + cardio
Day 2: Chest/Back + abs/cardio
Day 3: Bis/Tris/Legs + cardio
Day 4: Chest/Shoulders/Back + abs/cardio

repeat

I almost always aim for 3 sets of 8-10 reps for every exercise, so it's not like I'm benching/curling some crazy amount of weight for 4-6 reps or less.

I'll keep the tight grip in mind. I never really thought of squeezing the weight super hard, but now I can see how that would affect my wrist.

entremet

My schedule usually looks something like this:

Day 1: Bis/Tris/Legs + cardio
Day 2: Chest/Back + abs/cardio
Day 3: Bis/Tris/Legs + cardio
Day 4: Chest/Shoulders/Back + abs/cardio

repeat

I almost always aim for 3 sets of 8-10 reps for every exercise, so it's not like I'm benching/curling some crazy amount of weight for 4-6 reps or less.

I'll keep the tight grip in mind. I never really thought of squeezing the weight super hard, but now I can see how that would affect my wrist.

I'd add a rest day. That should help for recovery.

Szu

Well, 42 came and went, I still feel like an old bastard. However, looking at that 61 year old Asian guy gives me hope.

I still think I've got enough gas in the tank to reach that level.

Hopefully, I'll still have these guns.

BumRush

Well, 42 came and went, I still feel like an old bastard. However, looking at that 61 year old Asian guy gives me hope.

I still think I've got enough gas in the tank to reach that level.

Hopefully, I'll still have these guns.

Is today your birthday dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom