• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

Do you really?

q2EDXu1.png

Just made some ice cream (coffee / almond). Not bad. A little "icy", but I reckon that'll just take a bit of recipe tweaking, maybe add a little fat.

ILoveBish

Shoot me your address. I'm gassing up the car now

It's official! Fitgaf-con shall begin to happen.

I've still not been able to make ice cream. Really should try again.

Since you're a iifym dude, you really should. Probably going to try it with berries from trader joes to start.

I know right. I found the nutrition thread not too long ago and bish always has some good recipes.

Sharing is caring. I need to post my new meal plan to nutrition thread, maybe this or next weekend.

hey :) I just saw a pic you posted 3 hours ago on FB

I wan't to say BRAVO, your cut is going fantastic.

it takes so much discipline and effort to pull that off that I thought I'd let you know that people notice, even if they don't say a word or give a "like" and you are an inspiration.
Thanks buddy, that really means a lot. :) I still have so much work to do that it's easy to forget where I've come from. That's why I like posting selfies lol. It doesn't really click until other people give me props. Plus people say it motivates and inspires them, and that means a lot to me.

Also screw people! Don't let anyone get to you and live your life. Life's too short!

It's over 9000!!!!!

Do you really?

Yeah that's me. It's really not that much. Most of my other good looking gay friends have 2-4x that many followers. It's just easy to sell yourself on Instagram. It's much, much, much harder for straight guys to do the same, it's kinda hilarious.

mdsfx

Most of my other good looking gay friends have 2-4x that many followers...It's much, much, much harder for straight guys to do the same, it's kinda hilarious.
So that's the trick?! I wonder if my wife will mind if I remove the blurb in my profile about being married...

J. Bravo

Lol...wait, can't tell if serious. I would crack up if that worked

dude ur fuckin ripped. go tanning and become a little less Caspery and ur golden. gay dudes (and everyone else, but especially gay dudes) will love you. just gotta use hashtags and post lots of pics.

edit: and I don't know what your face looks like, but you probably need a good one of those as well

mdsfx

Original post deleted. Going to start scaring people away from the thread.

OK, back on track.

So the fasting yesterday was interesting. I ended drinking almost 2 gallons of water. Never drink quite that much.

It sure as hell made my first meal special. I was ravenous once I finally got to eat, but it did help me control calories for the day. I didn't end up eating more than usual for lunch or dinner which actually surprised me.

I think I can do this :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

OK, back on track.

So the fasting yesterday was interesting. I ended drinking almost 2 gallons of water. Never drink quite that much.

It sure as hell made my first meal special. I was ravenous once I finally got to eat, but it did help me control calories for the day. I didn't end up eating more than usual for lunch or dinner which actually surprised me.

Welcome to the fast side.

Azulsky

Squat day is the best day of the week.

Got up to 185x8 on my last set, up from 135x10 last time.

Took some getting used to but the knee sleeves dont really inhibit my depth anymore. I think with more bandwork I can go below parallel.

dude ur fuckin ripped. go tanning and become a little less Caspery and ur golden. gay dudes (and everyone else, but especially gay dudes) will love you. just gotta use hashtags and post lots of pics.

edit: and I don't know what your face looks like, but you probably need a good one of those as well
Not even just hashtags. You can just spam your pics to all those "hot men" IGs that do nothing but post pics of other people. They usually ask you to post an ad in return, but if you're hot enough they will give you shoutouts for free. I know Hoscos and couple others would post pics of me out of nowhere.

It really is just selling yourself. If I cared more I could probably get a lot more followers.

What's the advantage? I don't really do all that sort of stuff.

I assume getting laid / self confidence / ego / internet fame? Or combinations of the afore mentioned.

ILoveBish

Psycho, that's the wonder of the vitamix ice cream, crazy low calorie and carbs.

OK, back on track.

Welcome to the fast side.

And so fasting-gaf was born.

Azulsky

Does fasting count if you are drinking tea?

Because I did fasting periods when i was doing the weight loss without exercise(knee problems), and I drank all the hot tea. Unsweetened and w/o milk.

I assume getting laid / self confidence / ego / internet fame? Or combinations of the afore mentioned.
It's mostly just an ego boost, but it does help with networking. I have lots of friends all around the country now thanks to Internet fame. Even helped me find some jobs in Chicago to apply to. I've lost count how many times I get approached when I travel by strangers saying, "Hey! I follow you on IG!" it's so weird. It usually nets me a free drink or two, lol.

I also had a good friend start a modeling career through IG. I pretty much told him he should build an IG following, it's been about a year now and he's traveling the country doing shoots. I think he's up to 40-50k followers.

Most of my following stems from my weight loss journey and people looking for inspiration/motivation.

mdsfx

For me some of the reasons are admittedly a bit shallow (I really wanted SOMEONE to see my pic from 7 years ago). Compliments and encouragement are great to receive though. It's also a motivator since you're putting yourself, and your body, out there for people to see/judge.

Does fasting count if you are drinking tea?

Because I did fasting periods when i was doing the weight loss without exercise(knee problems), and I drank all the hot tea. Unsweetened and w/o milk.

Tea and coffee basically have no calories. You can even get away with a little milk as long as you're not drinking too many cups.

It's mostly just an ego boost, but it does help with networking. I have lots of friends all around the country now thanks to Internet fame. Even helped me find some jobs in Chicago to apply to. I've lost count how many times I get approached when I travel by strangers saying, "Hey! I follow you on IG!" it's so weird. It usually nets me a free drink or two, lol.

Cool. Can never argue with a free drink. :)

mdsfx

Tea and coffee basically have no calories. You can even get away with a little milk as long as you're not drinking too many cups.

Cool. Can never argue with a free drink. :)
I've also been reading up on the bcaa thing. This seems to go back and forth regarding if the flavored bcaa mixes break the fast. They seem recommended during a fast to minimize muscle loss, but then it sounds like they might have enough in them to break the fast.

Sticking to just water for now I guess.

Sadetar

So frustrating when I would actually like to do something that I would feel on the muscles but nearly everything starts to hurt or feel odd on the spine way before that. It happens even when I am sitting and leaning my back against the seat on the machines. I am just waiting these funny feelings on the back to go away before I can start properly to work out again.

Also I realized that I have seen the sunrise in numerous mornings while Nordic walking. Sadly it has always happened before I have had my good nights sleep. I am thinking this night I might need to go to bed a bit earlier than I recently have. I just love those "morning" walks. Lately I have been listening the greatest hits of the 80's. I didn't think that those walks could have felt that glorious. :D

With all this social media talk I realized that I have account only on facebook and even that I don't really use. I think I should make myself an account at least on IG just so I could like and follow you lovely people. How does it really even work? (Sorry, total noob.)

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. :)

Not that I regret my time with her, but it is true that spending time together really made me slack off on my workouts.

And yes, I'll definitely be posting progress pics soon, once I reach my goal of 170 lbs. (currently at 159).
You are very welcome. :) Working out is a good way to keep yourself busy after the break up. :D

Hahah, and I will be waiting to see those progress photos then. :p

Short answer, no.

Long answer, maaaaayyyybbeeeee.... but you need to do some crazy things with nutrient timing and fasted exercise to make proper use of it.
I agree with you. Basicly no, but if you are really a beginner and you have a good diet, it is possible. At least I managed to gain muscles quite nicely when I started even if I at the same time lost quite much weight. I am sure Bish is doing the same.
I'm old enough to remember that Bonnie Tyler song. That's old.

As for being related to Cooter, my grandfather came to the States back in the 60's.

A lot of shit happened in the 60's. I'm just saying.
Actually it wasn't your grandfather, it was you. You just say so to protect your genetics and your body for further examination. (It is alright.) Also like you said, odd things happened on 60's and I am sure you somehow ended up on Cooter's family tree. Just saying.
Was feeling slow on progress, so I pulled a pic from December. Not bad!

Http://imgur.com/zWpTUsy
Oooooh. Not bad at all! ;)

By the way, I know I post a lot in this thread, arguably too often, but there is so much positive reinforcement and validation here that it's just great to be a part of a group like this. This is epecially true for someone taking a lot of crap throughout their life due to their smaller size / frame.

So... Thanks :)
Come on, you don't post too often! I am with you there - this place is great and full of positive vibes and absolutely adorable people. <3

Finally got to the two plate club on deadlift. I'm kind of backed into a corner, so the video is a bit cramped, but it at least documents the moment for me.

https://youtu.be/8CURQkKie4k
That was extremely sweet and you made it look so easy! You have come a long way in just two years!

I think my training has weakened my immune system. I swear I get sicker for longer periods of time now.
Is your diet alright or do you train too much? After I started to work out and eat properly I am rarely sick anymore. Around once a year, if even that to be honest.

Ugh tea, this is the third time this week someone has mentioned tea and I've realized I forgot to buy some at the store. I've been out for a week!

I love tea and coffee. I prefer tea when I just want something tasty without calories, but coffee is my goto way of drinking protein shakes now.

I've also been reading up on the bcaa thing. This seems to go back and forth regarding if the flavored bcaa mixes break the fast. They seem recommended during a day to minimize muscle loss, but then it sounds like they might have enough in then to break the fast.

Sticking to just water for now I guess.

BCAA should only be 40kcal unless you're eating loads of it. That theoretically wont break a fast.

I only use it before working out anyway (about 15 hours in), so it's not a major concern to me.

The general rule is you can get 50 calories an hour and still remain in a fasted state.

Yeah, that was basically how I understood it. There or thereabouts.

BumRush

I also had a good friend start a modeling career through IG. I pretty much told him he should build an IG following, it's been about a year now and he's traveling the country doing shoots. I think he's up to 40-50k followers.

Most of my following stems from my weight loss journey and people looking for inspiration/motivation.

Dude, that's awesome. And you deserve all of the compliments, likes and followers...your progress since you started is otherworldly...

Ugh tea, this is the third time this week someone has mentioned tea and I've realized I forgot to buy some at the store. I've been out for a week!

I love tea and coffee. I prefer tea when I just want something tasty without calories, but coffee is my goto way of drinking protein shakes now.

You get down with fancy teavana teas?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Walked in the gym today to squat and all three racks were taken with 2 of them occupied with people curling. Wasn't happy. Told the owner he should put "No curling in the squat rack" signs up and I think he is going to. Can't wait to see the looks on all these lame ass faces!

entremet

Walked in the gym today to squat and all three racks were taken with 2 of them occupied with people curling. Wasn't happy. Told the owner he should put "No curling in the squat rack" signs up and I think he is going to. Can't wait to see the looks on all these lame ass faces!

You must have missed that gym etiquette thread in the OT lol.

mdsfx

CURLING?! Why the hell does someone need a rack to curl? Wtf

BumRush

Why would anyone do that? I just don't understand. Maaaaaaybe if youre doing DB curls as a superset for squats, but even then...

lol Cooter doesn't know the secrets of curling in the squat rack. It's the only way to properly hit the long heads of the biceps brachi :)

ILoveBish

Someone in the fgc thread was arguing about how he curls in the squat rack. It's astonishing what they can talk themselves into.

Had my last session with my trainer today. We focused on some of the issues I have posted about in here. Regarding grips for heavy deadlifts, I tried both hook grip and mixed grip. I think my hands are too small to use the hook grip effectively. I didn't really have any issues at all with it hurting my thumbs, but I didn't really feel any benefits with using it either. Didn't really feel more secure than the double overhand grip. The mixed grip, on the other hand, felt pretty great. I was worried that it would load my back in a non-balanced fashion, but didn't really have any problems with that. And it didn't feel like it was putting my biceps tendons in jeopardy either. But it did feel significantly more secure than the overhand grip. So I will keep using it for my heavy sets. I was shown some grip exercises to compensate for abandoning the overhand grip on heavy deadlifts.

Most of the time was spent on squats, and my issues with the butt wink. We tried several different form variations to see what would work best. In the end, we found that I could go deeper, while still maintaining an arch in my back, by using a high bar position, relatively wide stance, and pointing my toes and knees out at a rather wide angle. Apparently, the reason I've been having trouble with squatting is because my femur is quite long compared to my torso. This forces me to lean forward a lot in order to keep the weight centered above the middle of my feet, which makes maintaining my arch in the back impossible. The form fixes we tried today are supposed to help with that. Still can't quite reach parallel though. This is due to another issue I have: extremely tight hamstrings. We did a test to assess hamstring mobility, and it's bad. We're talking 75 years old man bad here. So I got some tips for stretching out my hamstrings. Hopefully, with these stretches and form tweaks I will be able to fix my squats and finally see some improvements. I'm feeling good about this.

J. Bravo

Deadlifted 405x1. Went for 425x1 but didn't get it. Frustrating. Whatever. That's my 1RM for when I start my new program next week. Not entirely sure what yet.

duxstar

So i've really hit a point where I'm super frustrated, I started doing the program at the top of the post, and in 4 weeks i've actually gained 2 pounds ..... while I was watching my calories better than I have in almost all of my life. I'm a fat guy, at 5'9 I'm 265 pounds and went UP to 267 by doing the beginners program. I don't want to be fat anymore, I was fat at 245 pounds and now im 20 over and not even seeing progress in going down. I know someone is going to say it's not about the "weight" but the progress your showing and if you look better. Well I LOOK a little thinner, but im still 267 pounds after eating eggs for breakfast every day, drinking a shit tons of water and staying under 1900 calories daily which I was supposed to do according to the TDEE thing.

it's frustrating as fuck and I want to cry. I'm on lexapro for anxiety and I always think that maybe that's stopping my weight loss, but I've thought about it over and over and I don't think I could ever go off of it. I even asked a long time ago what to do for cardio in between the days that your lifting, and was told because its too hardcore to walk. So I've been walking 2 - 5 miles a day in between days at the gym, I know my technique on the squat and the bench press are solid, and I'm walking and just no progress makes me want to punch a hole in the wall, or just give up and stop going. Tonight I was at a low point and went and got Ice cream cause I'm so frustrated which just makes it feel worse.

If you can't tell my self confidence is shot, and normally it turns around by going back to the gym and feeling better, but this time its just not happening and I'm so frustrated.

On top of everything else I have a slightly paralyzed left diaphragm, and Osteo Candidas Dissecans in my left knee which basically cuts out the treadmill at the gym, which would require me sitting on my ass for 3 months to "fix"; which might not even work.

I just had to rant and try to find a solution here, because I'm skeptical of everything I read on the internet and starting over again seem's ...... hopeless

Szu

In my opinion, the only reasonable method of curling in the squat rack is to curl the actual squat rack.

Cooper

I just had to rant and try to find a solution here, because I'm skeptical of everything I read on the internet and starting over again seem's ...... hopeless

Weight loss is frustrating, and I'm sure you can find some help and ideas here. Maybe you can answer a few questions so people can provide better info.

Have you read the nutrition thread?

You say you gained 2 pounds doing the beginner's routine, but prior to that gained 20 pounds. What period was this 20 pounds over?

How are you tracking your calories? The most accurate way is to use a food scale and tracking software. Second best is measuring cups and spoons. Just eyeballing portions tends to lead to very inaccurate measurements, even by trained dietitians.

Can you give a sample of a typical day's meals and snacks?

Be aware of hidden calories. Lots of people forget about things like cooking oils, cream/sugar in coffee, and salad dressings or extra sauces added to a meal. All of these can be quite calorie dense, in spite of not really being obvious food items.

I hope we can provide you with some assistance.

ILoveBish

So i've really hit a point where I'm super frustrated, I started doing the program at the top of the post, and in 4 weeks i've actually gained 2 pounds ..... while I was watching my calories better than I have in almost all of my life. I'm a fat guy, at 5'9 I'm 265 pounds and went UP to 267 by doing the beginners program. I don't want to be fat anymore, I was fat at 245 pounds and now im 20 over and not even seeing progress in going down. I know someone is going to say it's not about the "weight" but the progress your showing and if you look better. Well I LOOK a little thinner, but im still 267 pounds after eating eggs for breakfast every day, drinking a shit tons of water and staying under 1900 calories daily which I was supposed to do according to the TDEE thing.

it's frustrating as fuck and I want to cry. I'm on lexapro for anxiety and I always think that maybe that's stopping my weight loss, but I've thought about it over and over and I don't think I could ever go off of it. I even asked a long time ago what to do for cardio in between the days that your lifting, and was told because its too hardcore to walk. So I've been walking 2 - 5 miles a day in between days at the gym, I know my technique on the squat and the bench press are solid, and I'm walking and just no progress makes me want to punch a hole in the wall, or just give up and stop going. Tonight I was at a low point and went and got Ice cream cause I'm so frustrated which just makes it feel worse.

If you can't tell my self confidence is shot, and normally it turns around by going back to the gym and feeling better, but this time its just not happening and I'm so frustrated.

On top of everything else I have a slightly paralyzed left diaphragm, and Osteo Candidas Dissecans in my left knee which basically cuts out the treadmill at the gym, which would require me sitting on my ass for 3 months to "fix"; which might not even work.

Weight loss is very difficult. You really have to be on the ball when it comes to intake. Check the nutrition thread that cooper posted and strike a plan. The best diet is the one you can stick with. It took me 1 year of lifting (bad horrible lifting program with crap progression and all isolation movements) before i realized my diet sucked and my lifting program sucked. So my first year was 100% wasted. Thats when i found fitgaf and i've since made enormous gains muscle wise and fat loss wise (went from size 48 pants to 34 now). Its absolutely do-able, it takes time, effort and consistency. And diet is 99% of it. It has to be on point, or else its usually all for nothing.

Also keep in mind, you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. But you can get stronger while losing fat. Especially at your early stages. So pick which one you want, fat loss, or muscle gain. From what you wrote, its going to be fat loss. So your goal is to get your diet 100% on point (weighing every single thing you eat and calculating it), while lifting to help build strength and muscle (early on it is possible to build muscle, just not long term) and to burn calories.

So I'm currently in the process of losing weight (just counting calories + eating less), and it's going pretty well, I will soon reach 100 kg. Now I'm wondering how I should continue. I think my goal is about 90 kg (I'm 6 feet) with low body fat (I know that my body fat percentage will be still very high when I finally reach 90 kg). Should I...

a) ...continue with my successful strategy (counting calories etc.) until 90 kg and then start strength training.

b) ...continue with my strategy until <90 kg (80? 85?) and then start strength training.

c) ..."stop" at 100 kg and start strength training until I hit 90 kg.

What's the best way? Does it matter at all?

Gemüsepizza;166645607 said:
a) ...continue with my successful strategy (counting calories etc.) until 90 kg and then start strength training.

b) ...continue with my strategy until <90 kg (80? 85?) and then start strength training.

c) ..."stop" at 100 kg and start strength training until I hit 90 kg.

What's the best way? Does it matter at all?
Are you not exercising at all? Because if you're not, then I'd start weight training immediately. Losing weight via calorie loss alone is fine, but you can lose so much muscle that most people end up unhappy with the end result when they get there.

sphinx

the piano man
FitGaf, to what capacity are you able to stick to your workout plan??

here the 4 variables I consider important:

.- Frequency (hit the gym the amount of times your program says you should)
.- Routine content (do every exercise, every set)
.- Strength approach (actually lift the weight you should be lifting according to where you left last time)
.- Food (eat the cals, eat at exactly the right point in the day, avoid cheat days)

here's my own rating

.- Frequency 9/10
I stick to the plan mostly and if I miss one day I continue the next day.

.- Routine content 8/10
I often run out of time.. have to leave arm accesory or core work for another day

.- Strength approach 8/10
If I stop writing down my numbers, my rating plummets to 5/10 but right now I am doing well in this regard. I pay attention to numbers and don't allow myself to get comfortable with weight

.- Food 5/10
I suck at this. No breakfast, not enough calories per day, I give in to sweets, I eat bread at night, I don't plan my meal hours. little differentiation between cheat and "correct" days. not enough water intake, plain bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom