• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Great lift, brolic. Didn't really see the bar catching though. Does it happen often?

First time in a long time. Was catching pretty bad, noticeably slowed the bar down. I usually wear slick shorts. This is why I started training in the singlet. To make sure everything works smooth.

BumRush

First time in a long time. Was catching pretty bad, noticeably slowed the bar down. I usually wear slick shorts. This is why I started training in the singlet. To make sure everything works smooth.

The singlet is badass. You look like the heel in a turn of the century underground wrestling film.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I failed the first attempt and then found another gear. Two months in the making I finally have a new working weight for power cleans, 160 lbs. Damn that felt good. Maybe video later.

The workout:
Front squats - 210lbs 1x3, 205lbs 2x5 (All PRs)
Paused DB bench - 87.5s 1x5, 2x4 (PR)
Power cleans - 160lbs 0, 3, 2, 1, 1

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I asked this question partially before but I'll ask again: For the full body workout listed in the OP, what do people here recommend I do for reps and sets with the abdominal and arm exercises?

OP said:
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Crunches -

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Dips -

SeanR1221

Coming back home tonight. Finished off my trip with the breakfast buffet. Red velvet Nutella pancakes are to die for.

But fuck I'm ready to start cooking again. This vacation has made me bloated beyond belief.

Question on dumbbell bench... specifically decline if it makes any difference.

In some vids I see guys benching with the weights angled inwards (30-45 degrees?). In others the weights are in line with their shoulders. Is there any meaningful difference between the two? I did briefly try the angled version and it felt like I might have been keeping my elbows a bit closer to my body. Don't really know if that's ideal or not.

Examples of both (ignore the wrong / right label)...

how-to-bench-press-proper-arm-angle.jpg

GrizzNKev

Banned
You guys were right. I'm way too scrawny at 6'1 167 to see any huge benefit just from dropping fat. Fasting wasn't too tough so I know I'll succeed when I actually stand to gain from it. For now though, I'm going to bulk until I'm legitimately strong. Then I can lose weight.

Lesson learned. I should have listened to you. That said, at my height my somewhat narrow build, what weight should I peak at before cutting? 190?

entremet

You guys were right. I'm way too scrawny at 6'1 167 to see any huge benefit just from dropping fat. Fasting wasn't too tough so I know I'll succeed when I actually stand to gain from it. For now though, I'm going to bulk until I'm legitimately strong. Then I can lose weight.

Lesson learned. I should have listened to you. That said, at my height my somewhat narrow build, what weight should I peak at before cutting? 190?

Use a mirror. Whenever you're satisfied.

Also when bulking, you should be gaining weight all over. If you're getting too much belly fat, I would check your diet.

Don't go nuts. I did that and while i gained a good amount of muscle, the fat is just taking longer to take it off.

Take your time. Do a modest surplus for a year and just run on of the OP programs.

And don't be afraid of cardio. It's good for your health. Just do it after your weight training or on off days.

BumRush

Lose weight and improve my running (I do 30 minutes of cardio too).

Now that I think about it, would including some yoga on off days be okay? I'm not flexible.

Yes yoga is fine.

In regards to your accessories...with your goals, I would suggest rep schemes of 12-15, possibly implementing super sets, drop sets, etc. to maximize cardio.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Use a mirror. Whenever you're satisfied.

Also when bulking, you should be gaining weight all over. If you're getting too much belly fat, I would check your diet.

Don't go nuts. I did that and while i gained a good amount of muscle, the fat is just taking longer to take it off.

Take your time. Do a modest surplus for a year and just run on of the OP programs.

And don't be afraid of cardio. It's good for your health. Just do it after your weight training or on off days.

I did exactly that for a couple months, but got scared of gaining weight as it happened. I just need to really commit.

entremet

I did exactly that for a couple months, but got scared of gaining weight as it happened. I just need to really commit.

If you're a novice, you may not even need to bulk. You'll gain some muscle due to the novice training effect. It won't be as optimal as eating a calorie surplus, but doable.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Question on dumbbell bench... specifically decline if it makes any difference.

In some vids I see guys benching with the weights angled inwards (30-45 degrees?). In others the weights are in line with their shoulders. Is there any meaningful difference between the two? I did briefly try the angled version and it felt like I might have been keeping my elbows a bit closer to my body. Don't really know if that's ideal or not.

Examples of both (ignore the wrong / right label)...

how-to-bench-press-proper-arm-angle.jpg

You're more likely to wreck your shoulders the further your elbows are from your torso. It's also easier to push more weight when your elbows flare out too, so you can see why both versions exist.

In my version of DB bench, I keep my elbows pretty much all the way in.

You're more likely to wreck your shoulders the further your elbows are from your torso.
In my experience, it's more like it's a guarantee that you'll wreck your shoulders. Everything's fine when it's light weight, then once you progress to actually start to make gains your shoulders get wrecked. Rippetoe covers very well why this happens. And anyway, the goal of training is not to use more weight, it's to make your muscles stronger. If you're doing things a certain way because you can push/pull more that way, ask yourself why and what will you gain. For example, you can push press more than you can strict OHP, but that doesn't mean you're stronger.

ILoveBish

Feels nice to have today off from the gym. Got 8 hours of sleep last night and feel really good. I am going to reconsider eating more now, like 2k or so on gym days.

You're more likely to wreck your shoulders the further your elbows are from your torso. It's also easier to push more weight when your elbows flare out too, so you can see why both versions exist.

In my version of DB bench, I keep my elbows pretty much all the way in.

In my experience, it's more like it's a guarantee that you'll wreck your shoulders. Everything's fine when it's light weight, then once you progress to actually start to make gains your shoulders get wrecked

Cheers. Angled it is then. Feels more comfortable for me so I'm happy enough going that way.

I had gotten up to 295 3X5 in my squat, but started to notice that I wasn't going down low enough. I may have been a bit afraid to go lower in case of injury. I've decided to lower the weight and really focus on getting low. However, I've heard some conflicting things on how low one should get, especially as it pertains to taller people. Should I really focus on going below parallel or should I just try to make parallel? It seems like those that have longer legs should only try for parallel to avoid injury. Any advice?

Fox318

I had gotten up to 295 3X5 in my squat, but started to notice that I wasn't going down low enough. I may have been a bit afraid to go lower in case of injury. I've decided to lower the weight and really focus on getting low. However, I've heard some conflicting things on how low one should get, especially as it pertains to taller people. Should I really focus on going below parallel or should I just try to make parallel? It seems like those that have longer legs should only try for parallel to avoid injury. Any advice?

https://youtu.be/MQWzAs2m0ck

Navi

Finally back in this thread. Do you guys post pictures here like the flexfriday thing or nah? Would love to show off my progress every now and then.

ILoveBish

I've been eating more as a test to see how things will go, and have been steadily losing even with the higher calories. Maybe I've been at too high of a deficit, but I'm not going to say for sure yet. Will require more time and experimentation.

Bowser

I've been eating more as a test to see how things will go, and have been steadily losing even with the higher calories. Maybe I've been at too high of a deficit, but I'm not going to say for sure yet. Will require more time and experimentation.

Not that I know as much about this subject, but isn't it known that with keeping your calories so low for a long time, it has a negative effect on your metabolic rate? Increasing the calories slightly may be helping to kickstart your metabolism. I'm assuming given all the weight you've lost and muscle you've put on, increasing your calories some is probably helpful to you at this point.

ILoveBish

Not that I know as much about this subject, but isn't it known that with keeping your calories so low for a long time, it has a negative effect on your metabolic rate? Increasing the calories slightly may be helping to kickstart your metabolism. I'm assuming given all the weight you've lost and muscle you've put on, increasing your calories some is probably helpful to you at this point.

It's possible. I'm going to keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I've been in the 2200-2500 range past few days.

despire

Dieting in itself can affect the metabolic rate at around 10-15%. Meaning that your metabolism can slow down around that because you are feeding yourself less calories. Most of the "slowdown" people notice when dieting happens because you weigh less and therefore require less calories to exist.

But yeah, if you've dieted for a long time it's advisable to either have a diet break or a reverse diet. Diet break means eating at maintenance for a week or two which should boost the metabolism and hormones somewhat. Reverse dieting means increasing your calories week by week (25 more carbs per week etc) until you reach your old maintenance and then going above it in hopes of boosting your metabolism even further.

Some people have started reverse dieting at around BMR levels (when ending a cut) and have ended somewhere around 2500-3000kcal intake per day while still losing fat doing that. Basically getting leaner still even though they are not even cutting anymore (well they kinda are but you know..), just because their metabolism boosts faster than they increase their calories.

Related, I was looking at some trends in my weight from my last cut and I noticed a pretty good damn example of the effects of cheat days on longer term weight loss:

(Blue = daily weight)

92zT4Av.png

Before that I had been struggling to drop weight at all. As soon as I started the Cooter protocol the weight just started falling off.

BumRush

Related, I was looking at some trends in my weight from my last cut and I noticed a pretty good damn example of the effects of cheat days on longer term weight loss:

(Blue = daily weight)

92zT4Av.png

Before that I had been struggling to drop weight at all. As soon as I started the Cooter protocol the weight just started falling off.

Yeah, cheat days (and the cooter protocol) are awesome

Wulfric

This is kind of an subjective question, but what sort of workout leads to a "musclegut" body? I would post a pic, but I'm on mobile right now. You've probably seen those guys who look like they're in the gym regularly, and scarf down a whole pizza and a pitcher of beer on the weekend. They seem to gravitate to the free weights, although I guess they do more than just that.

In all honesty, I prefer that "bear" look over someone lean and muscular.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This is kind of an subjective question, but what sort of workout leads to a "musclegut" body? I would post a pic, but I'm on mobile right now. You've probably seen those guys who look like they're in the gym regularly, and scarf down a whole pizza and a pitcher of beer on the weekend. They seem to gravitate to the free weights, although I guess they do more than just that.

In all honesty, I prefer that "bear" look over someone lean and muscular.

Lol, basically do what I do.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lmao, I am a kid. I was going for more of the rugby player look. Strong overall, while perhaps still having a layer of pudge.

A young Brolic, essentially. :p

Basically don't always eat like an asshole, but don't really concern yourself with what you eat. As far as training, focus more on strength. Follow programs like 5/3/1 and iron sport strength method. And do a lot of weighted carries. Strongman training helps a lot.

The big thing is training to be strong without worrying about abs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom