• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Great day at the gym. Ohp with 5x130, 5x150 and 5x170. Ended with 10x130. Hit every rep.

Ahh yes, I remember a younger single me that used nair a few times. I learned one valuable lesson - DON'T GET NEAR THE BALL SACK! Chemical burns are not fun.

That gets trimmed. And I'm far from young lol.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Not counting fiber (which is usually pretty high) 100-150 on rest days and 150-200 on workout days.

Despire I like that idea. I'm going to give increased activity another week and then give that a try.

In the big picture I'm obviously losing because of how my belt fits, but it be nice to see the numbers move.
Hmm. You may want to tinker with sub 50 for a week if you're up to it. Otherwise I second what Spirit said, add some HiiT training 3 times a week. Are you still around 2,000 calories?

ILoveBish

Strong as hell bud. You're a scientific anomaly...eats 1x every 2-3 days, lifts a ton! Nice work...keep it up

Thank you sir. I'm excited for next year where there won't be as many events. Will be a lot easier to be strict again. Right now things are all over the place. But I'm so happy that it's not bothering me in the slightest. I've never seen my abs so easily as I can right now. It's nuts.

Teggy

Man, he's actually fucking lucky that he didn't have clamps on the bar, or he'd likely be dead right now.

Edit - I just went and checked mine, the bar wouldn't be able to fit down there... just. :O

It looks like there's nothing holding it to the frame in the video. Some simple clips or something would make it a non-issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who squats low?

I feel like everyone I see at the gym is barely breaking parallel?

That's because they probably aren't breaking parallel (or even hitting parallel).

I can only speak from my experience in a couple of gyms, but most people load up the weights heavier than they should be and do quarter depth squats.

Hmm. You may want to tinker with sub 50 for a week if you're up to it. Otherwise I second what Spirit said, add some HiiT training 3 times a week. Are you still around 2000 calories.
+1 to going low carb for a short period.

I completely forgot about how I started messing with my carbs around the same time I hit that plateau. Man it's been so long, lol. So it was either that, HIIT, or both.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Am I the only one who squats low?

I feel like everyone I see at the gym is barely breaking parallel?
You ain't seeing me then! Nah, that's a standard gym squat. Everyone here knows how difficult it is to dig yourself out of a below parallel squat so for your average gym bro who wants to look like a boss and load up the bar the only way they can do so is by doing quarter reps. The funny thing is nothing makes you look like less of a boss than moving your butt down 2 inches and calling that a squat.

You ain't seeing me then! Nah, that's a standard gym squat. Everyone here knows how difficult it is to dig yourself out of a below parallel squat so for your average gym bro who wants to look like a boss and load up the bar the only way they can do so is by doing quarter reps. The funny thing is nothing makes you look like less of a boss than moving your butt down 2 inches and calling that a squat.
The nice thing about full ROM ATG squats is you use less weight, less stress on joints, easier to handle and control. Why people don't dig as far as they can i have no clue. Doesn't make them easier, but it feels much better, IMO.

mkenyon

Banned
The nice thing about full ROM ATG squats is you use less weight, less stress on joints, easier to handle and control. Why people don't dig as far as they can i have no clue. Doesn't make them easier, but it feels much better, IMO.
Because it's a mini game of competition with how many plates they can put on the bar.

Fox318

That cheered me up.

I'm trying to get over the hump of 285 5x5 then I see people squatting 3 plates with strsps, a belt, and chalk like they are trying to work a stripper pole.

Funnily enough, I had to drop my spotter bars earlier as I managed to hit the weights when I hit the bottom of the hole. Luckily I was still on a warmup set when it happened.

Bit of a pain switching heights between bench and squat, but I'll live.

mkenyon

Banned
Funnily enough, I had to drop my spotter bars earlier as I managed to hit the weights when I hit the bottom of the hole. Luckily I was still on a warmup set when it happened.

Bit of a pain switching heights between bench and squat, but I'll live.
I have to do that between sets with my wife, since she's 5'1" and I'm 6'. :p

Fox318

I wish all gyms had safety bars on their bench press equipment, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zB-Bu6V44

OK, not like that.

But seriously, I've only been to one gym that had these, it seems like they should be required on any bench.
Honestly this is why I'm always careful when benching and I don't use clamps.

Plus I never really do 1rm.

I actually tried my heaviest bench today with a 225x5 attempt and I could only get 3 reps in.

Maybe if I had a spotter I would have pushed it but my hand has been all weird lately after chopping wood.

I've had a terrible workout week. I'm not sure if I injured myself or if im plateauing but I haven't been able to finish my reps. My left hip is just in pain every time I try to squat.

Wulfric

I wish all gyms had safety bars on their bench press equipment, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zB-Bu6V44

OK, not like that.

Yikes, that would be an awful way to go. Lucky he got out relatively unscathed.

So I decided to deload on bench press today due to the whole wobbly arms thing. SL has the end of week 5 at 80 lbs for bench, and at this weight my form and control felt much better. I was doing 120 last week, but it just didn't feel safe once I got to sets four and five. Hopefully this extra time gives me to build back up the right way.

Squats: 165 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 75 lbs, 5x5
Barbell row: 85 lbs, 5x5
Current weight: 160.4 lbs

despire

Not counting fiber (which is usually pretty high) 100-150 on rest days and 150-200 on workout days.

Despire I like that idea. I'm going to give increased activity another week and then give that a try.

In the big picture I'm obviously losing because of how my belt fits, but it be nice to see the numbers move.

You probably know this but try increasing about 100kcal every 5-7 days. Preferably from carbs (if your fat intake is good enough).

Try to get around to what your maintenance intake should be at your bodyweight. If you can get there without gaining fat, great. Then you can drop your calories again to whatever you want to.

I'm currently at 1600kcal and I should aim for ~2400kcal (which should be my maintenance with around 4-6hr activity per week, BMR x 1.35). If I can get there without gaining noticeable fat, it would be pretty great. Then if I'm not lean enough, I can easily drop my calories back to 1800 or so for a few weeks.

Didn't know this time of the year made it so difficult to get in a good session.

Work has been insane lately luckily I'm on my feet all the time and life in general is just unpredictable. Got to the gym after work yesterday and started cardio and found it really hard to focus.

So thought I would try weights, nope! Finally settled on a swim which went well and chilled in the tub.

Roll on January.

Holy shit guys.

My gym got an adjustable squat rack with a platform. FINALLY.

The caveat is that it's the only one in the gym, which means I'll have to workout in the dead of night to have access to it.

BumRush

Sean, I'm a little late on this, but I agree with Spirit, Cooter and Despire. HIIT, less carbs, etc. are realistically just shocking your system since it stalled.

That cheered me up.

I'm trying to get over the hump of 285 5x5 then I see people squatting 3 plates with strsps, a belt, and chalk like they are trying to work a stripper pole.

I use a belt and straps though. Everything beyond 2 plates has been killing my wrists, so I've got to use a strap or I'll probably end up injuring them. I do at least make an effort to make it parallel or lower. The heavy weights (I'm at 270 now after a week off) have been a bit much on my knees, I might have to get a knee brace soon.

Ugh, wrist straps, weight belt, and knee brace, am I becoming a gym bro?

This might sound like a stupid question... but shouldn't your traps be bearing the weight? I can't say I've ever felt significant pressure on my wrists doing squats, and I'm a big baby when it comes to my tiny little wrists (I wrap them for basically everything).

Or is this low bar? I know nothing about low bar.

This might sound like a stupid question... but shouldn't your traps be bearing the weight? I can't say I've ever felt significant pressure on my wrists doing squats, and I'm a big baby when it comes to my tiny little wrists (I wrap them for basically everything).

For me, personally, I use a slightly lower bar. I'm tall and go ATG so to help keep the bar inline above my heels I bring it a tad lower and apply pressure as if I'm trying to bend the bar over my mid shoulders. This helps me keep the bar from slight shifts and helps with my balance. I go over with my thumbs (not a grip). I've never felt wrist pain, though.

Fox318

I use a belt and straps though. Everything beyond 2 plates has been killing my wrists, so I've got to use a strap or I'll probably end up injuring them. I do at least make an effort to make it parallel or lower. The heavy weights (I'm at 270 now after a week off) have been a bit much on my knees, I might have to get a knee brace soon.

Ugh, wrist straps, weight belt, and knee brace, am I becoming a gym bro?

I used a belt most days now but only on my working sets.

Fox318

Anyone got any recommendations on olympic lifting shoes?

Something for squats?

I already have some chucks and I think I have a backup pair of wrestling shoes I could use as a flat shoe.

I'm thinking of changing up from 5x5 to the Squat everyday plan.

Honestly, I don't know, if that is the case, then I may be holding it wrong because my wrists are on fire once I go beyond 2 plates on squatting.

mkenyon

Banned
235x5 squats. F*ck you, 2-plate plateau!
Try skipping cardio for a day or two, and then try again. On my run days, I'm usually down 15-20lbs on the squat and struggle big time.

I had the exact same thought. My hands just stabilize it.
Honestly, I don't know, if that is the case, then I may be holding it wrong because my wrists are on fire once I go beyond 2 plates on squatting.
I'd definitely get a form check vid, sounds like something is going wrong.

Something for squats?

I already have some chucks and I think I have a backup pair of wrestling shoes I could use as a flat shoe.

I had some flat sole shoes that I recently swapped out for these guys. Though they are nice in squats, where I noticed them most was in OHP. I felt much more stable.

Chocobro

Something for squats?

Adidas Adipower and Nike Romaleos. They were on sale very frequently the last few months. Of course these are the high end weightlifting shoes.
If you want something cheap, get the Wei Rui Warriors.

Fox318

I just wish I could try them on someplace.

Only "lifting" shoes I've seen anywhere I could try them on is at Reebok.

Might have to take a trip to Midtown Manhattan.

I think I'm up something like 7lbs at the moment, not really noticing any significant increase in strength though. My squat and deadlift are up, but they hadn't really plateaued. My bench and OHP have gone no-where, as usual.

ILoveBish

I'm still up 8lbs from my previous lowest. Don't see any difference physically, and my abs are showing better then ever. Dunno, I'll hopefully fix my sleep and eating next year once all these events are over. I gave my girl her Christmas gift early yesterday, got her the note 4 with a 128gb microsd and accessories. She got me all black converse all stars which were really nice.

Feel OK for the gym today.

SeanR1221

You probably know this but try increasing about 100kcal every 5-7 days. Preferably from carbs (if your fat intake is good enough).

Try to get around to what your maintenance intake should be at your bodyweight. If you can get there without gaining fat, great. Then you can drop your calories again to whatever you want to.

I'm currently at 1600kcal and I should aim for ~2400kcal (which should be my maintenance with around 4-6hr activity per week, BMR x 1.35). If I can get there without gaining noticeable fat, it would be pretty great. Then if I'm not lean enough, I can easily drop my calories back to 1800 or so for a few weeks.

Sean, I'm a little late on this, but I agree with Spirit, Cooter and Despire. HIIT, less carbs, etc. are realistically just shocking your system since it stalled.

Definitely some great advice here. Thanks guys.

I stepped on the scale this morning after a great cardio session last night combined with a pretty low carb day and it read 191. I nearly threw the scale at the mirror. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom