• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Good luck Brolic, smash the competition!

Rough day today (lots of exams and interviews), and I didn't get to the go to the gym. On the plus side...
I'm now in the National Guard! I leave for basic in February.

I'll start incorporating a few more run days in my workouts now. Should I focus on speed or distance?

theytookourjobz

I organized an olympic weightlifting seminar with former national champ Jon North at my gym and I just got an email that he's on the plane here now. So freaking stoked!!

Fox318

Addias shop just sent back the adipowers they had.

I really like to try on shoes before I buy them.

Now I have to search for a store that might have them.

Chocobro

I wish you luck finding a store that has Olympic weightlifting shoes. I mentioned it a while back but I highly doubt many stores would stock them because the number of potential buyers are so low compared to the other types of shoes.

Try a pair of regular Adidas or Nike shoes and then buy the weightlifting shoe at the same size because they are generally true to size. However after breaking mine in, I kind of wish I got 1/2 a size smaller.
Get the adipower if you have narrow feet and get the Romaleos if you have wide feet.

Judge me, folks. Too much fat for a bulk? Should I cut back the calories a bit or keep on keeping on? I even tried extreme lighting abuse side shot in my basement but my shoulder fingers and tris disappeared.
https://twitter.com/JackSipich/status/675503352227086336?s=09

I'm fairly comfortable with this for the winter, tbh. But I don't want to go overboard.
You look great man. If you want to bulk, just bulk. You'll cut down quickly as long as you don't go super sloppy and put on 30 lbs in a month.

That pouty face is adorable.

Teggy

Something strange I just realized - Mike Chang seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. The six pack shortcuts on YouTube is a completely different guy now and their webpage makes no reference at all to Mike Chang. He also hasn't posted to his Twitter in over a year.

BumRush

Judge me, folks. Too much fat for a bulk? Should I cut back the calories a bit or keep on keeping on? I even tried extreme lighting abuse side shot in my basement but my shoulder fingers and tris disappeared.
https://twitter.com/JackSipich/status/675503352227086336?s=09

I'm fairly comfortable with this for the winter, tbh. But I don't want to go overboard.

Definitely not too much fat for a bulk bud. Keep at that calorie level for a little longer and come February or March, cut hard. Looking great, keep it up.

I'm starting to notice my stomach pressing against my trousers again. I'm really not a fan of this bulking stuff but I'm trying to stick with it as my squat and deadlift numbers are still progressing.

You look great man. If you want to bulk, just bulk. You'll cut down quickly as long as you don't go super sloppy and put on 30 lbs in a month.

That pouty face is adorable.

Definitely not too much fat for a bulk bud. Keep at that calorie level for a little longer and come February or March, cut hard. Looking great, keep it up.
Thanks guys! I've always kept on the lean side when gaining but this is the first time I'm going all in on a bulk. Missing the abs and fingers in the shoulders the most :(( But come the spring I'll get back to it :D

I'm starting to notice my stomach pressing against my trousers again. I'm really not a fan of this bulking stuff but I'm trying to stick with it as my squat and deadlift numbers are still progressing.
I'm with you. This is my first legit bulk as a diabetic without a thyroid - I've always put it on slow but I don't want to live in that cage anymore. My calories and meds are on point so I'm staying perfect with my glucose. There are some excellent bodybuilders out there with T1 like me and they always flaunt their insulin use. I just got to get it out of my head that it's a crutch and instead treat it like a motivator. Keep my foot in its neck and maintain control.

GrapeApes

Something strange I just realized - Mike Chang seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. The six pack shortcuts on YouTube is a completely different guy now and their webpage makes no reference at all to Mike Chang. He also hasn't posted to his Twitter in over a year.
Maybe he behind the scenes. Figured he got a new guy or someone was taking his role. Good riddence anyways.

Just buy and try. If it don't fit then return. Just had to return some wrestling shoes from Amazon cauce of sizing. Not a big deal.

Sky Chief

I just bought a latte at the coffee shop around the corner and then when I got home had the crazy idea of adding a scoop of protein powder. The most delicious mocha ever!

Teggy

Could I get a bench form check?

In particular I'm trying to keep my shoulders tight and stay arched on them as well as pushing down on my heels. As you can see #5 in particular is a real grinder. Sorry for the low quality, I did this while waiting for the squat rack to get free.

http://youtu.be/EQux867Xy10

BumRush

Could I get a bench form check?

In particular I'm trying to keep my shoulders tight and stay arched on them as well as pushing down on my heels. As you can see #5 in particular is a real grinder. Sorry for the low quality, I did this while waiting for the squat rack to get free.

http://youtu.be/EQux867Xy10

It's not bad. I like that your bar path is lower (towards your abs) on the way down and closer to the rack on the way up (which is correct) but at times I think you might over exaggerate it a little, especially on rep 5. Keep it a bit more compact and the same on each rep and it will be very solid.

ILoveBish

It's so difficult to get out of bed today. I got plenty of sleep, but body is so tired. Dropped 3lbs overnight, back down to 222.4.

Today is my girls mom's company Christmas party. Suit required. Tomorrow we're going hiking in Laguna Beach. Then AYCE sushi after.

Back to the grind Monday.

lenovox1

I just bought a latte at the coffee shop around the corner and then when I got home had the crazy idea of adding a scoop of protein powder. The most delicious mocha ever!

Not crazy at all. Starbucks has protein and fiber powder available. You should be able to ask your local coffee shop if they too can stock it.

velociraptor

How can I improve my deadlift? Currently deadlifting 115kg x5. On this last season, I felt a bit of lower back strain lifting that. However I asked a dude if my form was OK and he said yeah it was. Yet, it doesn't exactly feel effortless for me at this weight. As I said, I felt a lot of lower back strain while lifting this weight.

My deadlift is pretty weak. I think it should be 140kg x5 minimum. That is my short-term goal anyway.

J. Bravo

I notice with 5/3/1 you fill in your 1RMs but the weights it starts with are really light compared to what I'm lifting at the moment (which isn't that impressive to begin with). Is this normal? How does this progression model work?

it calculates your program using a training max, which is 90% of your 1rm. this way you are always progressing , even on shitty days.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got 2 thumbs up and a "mighty fine" from some 80+ dude after my 95lb weighted pull ups. Ha. Don't know why but compliments from seniors always make my day.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How can I improve my deadlift? Currently deadlifting 115kg x5. On this last season, I felt a bit of lower back strain lifting that. However I asked a dude if my form was OK and he said yeah it was. Yet, it doesn't exactly feel effortless for me at this weight. As I said, I felt a lot of lower back strain while lifting this weight.

My deadlift is pretty weak. I think it should be 140kg x5 minimum. That is my short-term goal anyway.

Fix your form, I'd bet money it's what's causing your back issue.

it calculates your program using a training max, which is 90% of your 1rm. this way you are always progressing , even on shitty days.

I'm actually quite looking forward to moving onto that. Being at the point of failure every session is starting to grind me down. I'd rather go for it when I find myself strong than know I'm always going to have to perform at my absolute best to move on.

Edit - Unrelated, massively short of calories after a very long trainer ride. To try and make up for it I just had 60g of almonds covered with 60g of melted Nutella. Nice. :D

Mediking

I.... I.... wanna be strong... I... wanna have a nice body.... I... wanna be healthy... I'm 21 years old and a senior in college. I do have a job. I am active. I do play volleyball but I do have a little stomach growing on me. Do I really need to start eating salads all the time and working out whenever I can?

Ha, there's not a lot of salad eating goes on in here. Especially not in the winter. :D

You're a youngun. Lift three times a week and chances are you'll be a beast before you know it.

I have gained a new appreciation of salads and vegetables in general since starting my whole healthy eating kick. That being said, salads aren't needed to become a beast.

Love salads. Get about a pound of spinach leaves, toss in a bunch of almonds, walnuts and pistachios then drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Yum! I love spinach any way I can get it, tbh.

Love salads. Get about a pound of spinach leaves, toss in a bunch of almonds, walnuts and pistachios then drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Yum! I love spinach any way I can get it, tbh.

I hated spinach growing up, you couldn't pay me to eat it as a child. Now, its like a daily part of my diet. Although, I'd probably would've added some salmon or turkey to your salad, I can't go without some meat either

I notice with 5/3/1 you fill in your 1RMs but the weights it starts with are really light compared to what I'm lifting at the moment (which isn't that impressive to begin with). Is this normal? How does this progression model work?
In 5/3/1 when you do your heaviest set, it is As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP). Some people do their heaviest set right after warm up, some do it last. It seems like either way is OK. I like to do the AMRAP set first.

The AMRAP set is the key to making gains at a lighter weight.

Progress is slow compared to noob gains from a 3x5 program, but that's because you're out of noob gains. You increase your base numbers (he calls it the "training max") after every 1s week. 10 for legs, 5 for upper body.

5/3/1 will absolutely blow away what seemed like a brick wall of stalling out on whichever beginner program you were on.

Mediking

Ha, there's not a lot of salad eating goes on in here. Especially not in the winter. :D

You're a youngun. Lift three times a week and chances are you'll be a beast before you know it.

Lift 3 times a week? Like 30 minutes of barbells? Lol I'm so freaking clueless when it comes to working out. I do run on a treadmill every now and then. That's helping, right...? See? Clueless.

I hated spinach growing up, you couldn't pay me to eat it as a child. Now, its like a daily part of my diet. Although, I'd probably would've added some salmon or turkey to your salad, I can't go without some meat either
I'm not big on fish but chicken would be mighty tasty grilled up and tossed in.

Sky Chief

Lift 3 times a week? Like 30 minutes of barbells? Lol I'm so freaking clueless when it comes to working out. I do run on a treadmill every now and then. That's helping, right...? See? Clueless.

Do the beginner's program in the OP. It's easy and you will see great results. Follow the link to the Starting Strength Wiki and read the entire thing.

I am also using the Starting Strength App to track progress. It tells you what weights, how to set up the bar, and reps to do for each warmup set and your worksets. It also has instructions and videos for each exercise.

Do the beginner's program in the OP. It's easy and you will see great results. Follow the link to the Starting Strength Wiki and read the entire thing.

I am also using the Starting Strength App to track progress. It tells you what weights, how to set up the bar, and reps to do for each warmup set and your worksets. It also has instructions and videos for each exercise.

This, apps are so fucking useful for those of us that are beginning the whole weight training thing. I'm using Stronglifts 5X5, but I'm sure the Starting Strength app is just as great. There was a point where I didn't think I'd be lifting the weight I'm lifting, or look the way I currently look. Its been a helluva self-esteem booster.

Mediking

Okay, I will!!!! Let's do this!!!!!

ILoveBish

First time in my life I was able to rock a vest with my suit in my life. Freaking life changing experience. I'll post pics soon, but couldn't stop getting compliments all night about how thin and muscular I looked. It's crazy how much life has changed, and I'm slowly able to let go of the old obese me. It's still a constant struggle tho. Some pics I still see fat old me.

I'm wearing size 33 jeans and a medium tank everyday, it all looks great and I feel great. But I still fall into the trap that I'm 340+ pounds all the time.

velociraptor

Fix your form, I'd bet money it's what's causing your back issue.
Yeah it might be a form issue. What's the best way to learn the deadlift?

On the surface it seems like you just have to pick up the bar from the ground, but the deadlift, squat, OHP - all extremely very technical lifts D:

Okay, I will!!!! Let's do this!!!!!

Make sure you concentrate on learning how to properly do the exercises. It will make sure that the muscles are being trained the most optimal way but more importantly keep you from putting weight on a muscle or joint where it doesn't belong and injuring yourself.

BumRush

First time in my life I was able to rock a vest with my suit in my life. Freaking life changing experience. I'll post pics soon, but couldn't stop getting compliments all night about how thin and muscular I looked. It's crazy how much life has changed, and I'm slowly able to let go of the old obese me. It's still a constant struggle tho. Some pics I still see fat old me.

I'm wearing size 33 jeans and a medium tank everyday, it all looks great and I feel great. But I still fall into the trap that I'm 340+ pounds all the time.

Dude I wear a 32 and a medium tank. You've done so well, try to forget the past and enjoy this you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom