• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

I regret not taking photos

B9eJRQv.png

It's funny, I have the photos, but because I still don't feel happy with where I am, they seem largely meaningless to me. I looked like crap then, now I just look less crappy. ;)

ILoveBish

Great day at the gym. Deadlift today with 5x280, 5x325 and 5x370. Hit all reps easy, all accessories were super easy today as well. Felt beastly.

It's funny, I have the photos, but because I still don't feel happy with where I am, they seem largely meaningless to me. I looked like crap then, now I just look less crappy. ;)

Understatement of 2015 I'm sure.

Great day at the gym. Deadlift today with 5x280, 5x325 and 5x370. Hit all reps easy, all accessories were super easy today as well. Felt beastly.
I'll say. Most people can't pick their own ass off the floor let alone 2x the body weight of an average human multiple times :p Good pulls!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, the human body works in mysterious ways. The other day I was attempting to do a bench press after a week between work outs and I literally couldn't do one set of 95 lbs. (my max is 140 lbs. btw). Yesterday, I had like 3 hours of sleep (cause I spent the night studying for finals), barely had anything other than 2 turkey sammiches, and forced myself to go to the gym, but thinking that I would be failing miserably just like last time. And yet, for some bizarre reason, I had an even better performance doing my OHP (100 lbs. at 3x5. Last time was 3x3), and weighted chins (1x7, 1x6 yesterday at 15 lbs. but only 2x5 last time around)

Not sure how the hell that works, but I ain't complaining!

2 cups of whole milk, 2-3 tablespoons of PB, 1 banana, 1/3 cup of oatmeal, 2 scoops of protein...top off with coffee.

Amazing.

Really, with the banana too?

Brhoom

Banned
Hello Gaf.

I had sergurey back in Janurary, and the Doctor said I should not lift anything heavy or my open wound would tear (did not believe him and lifting a box of oranges proved I was wrong).

So here I am and I have lost every strength I had, I was not fit by any mean (184cm and 95 kilos), but now I can't lift anything heavy and even opening a simple bottle becomes a chore.

What can I do to improve physicaly at home? I am not looking to get fit right now (would love to though) I just want to know what can I do at home that is easy and can improve my strength.

Not sure how the hell that works, but I ain't complaining!
You know... I had exactly the same thing the other day. Had worked three 18hr days in a row, then managed to set two PRs in the same workout (and trust me, I felt WRECKED).

Makes no sense at all, and oddly, one of those PRs I couldn't match yesterday, and I'd had considerably more rest.

Understatement of 2015 I'm sure.

Possibly, but I guess it's easier to judge from the outside looking in. Many of us sadly have aspects we hate about our bodies.

What can I do to improve physicaly at home? I am not looking to get fit right now (would love to though) I just want to know what can I do at home that is easy and can improve my strength.

It sounds like you're going to need to take it very slow at first. Possibly just very basic bodyweight stuff until you've got a handle on where you are physically. You might find the progressions listed here to be of use to you:

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/exercise-progressions_12.html

Maybe consider trying the first set of each type to get a feel for where you are, and progressing from there. The body is an amazing thing, and you might be surprised at how you're able to progress... just be sensible with it!

Cooper

Hello Gaf.

I had sergurey back in Janurary, and the Doctor said I should not lift anything heavy or my open wound would tear (did not believe him and lifting a box of oranges proved I was wrong).

Is your doctor a physical therapist? If not, it sounds like you should ask for a referral to one, as your situation needs special considerations.

I'm way out of my knowledge zone here, but you might ask your physical therapist about occlusion/blood flow restriction training. It's supposed to provide many of the benefits of heavy lifting at very light loads. You would need someone with experience to show you how to set things up, though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Will you do something to keep your lower back / legs loose?

Lookin good. Always inspiring.

This was about 70% of training max. Looking again, setup looks real good and speed looks good. Felt heavy though, but coming off of deload. Should get my body ready for next week.

Bum. DT on Saturday for low back, heating pad/stretching all week next week and body weight work keeping blood flow.

SeanR1221

Broilic killin it in those lifts.

---

Worst feeling. Eating like you'll be working out, and then getting so backed up with work, by the time you're done the gym is closed and you didn't work out.

BumRush

This was about 70% of training max. Looking again, setup looks real good and speed looks good. Felt heavy though, but coming off of deload. Should get my body ready for next week.

Bum. DT on Saturday for low back, heating pad/stretching all week next week and body weight work keeping blood flow.

Smart man. Your prep is amazing. Looking incredibly strong as well. So excited for you!

Will get another session in today no idea what I'm doing? Well anything my body will let me do, pulling pallets at work is killing me.

For the first time ever my chest is feeling lean.

I've dropped my BMI from 35 to 24 in 5 months.

pbayne

Hey guys stopping in for some advice.

Anyone know any good quick body weight workouts?

Im about 170-180lbs, 6 foot. Im kind of decently healthy, slender dude. Like id have no problem doing an hour of cardio or clocking out a hundred push-ups. But its gotten a bit stale and im getting a bit lax with it recently. Anyone know any good variations to try?

My goal would be more muscle tone than strength.

Nicely done. I've been happy enough keeping my reps stable as my weight increases. Oddly enough, though I find pullups easier than chinups, I can do chinups with far more weight than I can do pullups with.

Stupid body.

Thanks to fitness GAF I started the Starting Strength program two weeks ago. At first I was nervous about squats and deadlifts...now i get annoyed when I have to wait for other people to finish. I've seen increases in weights lifted and overall just feel better about going to the gym period.

Its painful and there's a lot of soreness but I love it. I don't think i've ever been as sore as the day after I did Presses for the first time.

I'm still a novice but my number are going up:

Bench: 200
Squat: 170
Deadlift: 175
Press: 75

Body Weight: 178

I'd like to weight about 170. I'm 5'8.

Thanks for the motivation GAF!

Man, my bench press is so pathetic compared to literally everyone here. Depresses the crap out me. :(

Edit - Will be interesting to see how far you can go with your deadlift Caleb. I bet there's a ton of scope for improvement there.

BumRush

Man, my bench press is so pathetic compared to literally everyone here. Depresses the crap out me. :(

Edit - Will be interesting to see how far you can go with your deadlift Caleb. I bet there's a ton of scope for improvement there.

With all of the cycling / lower body stuff you do, I bet even at 140 lbs your upper body is more like a 130 pounder, if you know what I mean. Compared to most everyone posting in here, that's significantly lighter. Don't beat yourself up.

Edit: Caleb, that's a strong bench for a novice. Nice work brother.

Hey thanks dood. I feel like I could do more but I really want to make sure my form is good. So i'm taking it slow. I've injured my back before....never again. And yeah man don't beat yourself up youd be kickin my butt all up and down the cardio side of things all day.

With all of the cycling / lower body stuff you do, I bet even at 140 lbs your upper body is more like a 130 pounder, if you know what I mean. Compared to most everyone posting in here, that's significantly lighter. Don't beat yourself up.

Edit: Caleb, that's a strong bench for a novice. Nice work brother.

Aye thanks yuh, last week I was gassed on the last set doing 195. This week I increased sleep ate better and there we go. One thing I underestimated with this program is the sleep part. I feel like I have to have it now. Also, exhaustion helps heh.

do work brotherman

Damn son the dream @_@

I'm sure you're probably right, but sadly my bench would be shit even at 120lb.

BumRush

Aye thanks yuh, last week I was gassed on the last set doing 195. This week I increased sleep ate better and there we go. One thing I underestimated with this program is the sleep part. I feel like I have to have it now. Also, exhaustion helps heh.

Sleep, food and water...absolutely need all 3

I'm sure you're probably right, but sadly my bench would be shit even at 120lb.

Can you do bodyweight at 140?

My chest size and strength exploded when I put an emphasis on incline/decline 60/40 split. I do flat bench twice every 6 weeks. I alternate my incline between 15 and 30 degrees as 45 burns my shoulders more than anything.

When it comes time again for flat I increase my weight for sets no problem. After 2 weeks of flat I got back to incline/decline and again can increase those weights. I also make sure to include dips, elbows flared, leaning forward, weighted for lower work. I barely do flat but my numbers always go up and show very good separation even at my current bodyfat.

I suppose I could do more flat but I don't see the need as I'm happy with my development and numbers.

AG,, I completely agree that incline and decline are amazing and crucial to improving chest size and strength

Yup. I think they are very overlooked. For a beginner I think flat bench is great for developing the raw power needed to get you into using higher weights but eventually there's a point where incline and decline take over for development. Not completely, but more focus can be put on those as your primary triggers for growth.

Teggy

I'm like you, I'm at 205 and rising on squats and haven't hit 135 yet on bench and I feel like failure is imminent. I've added close grip bp and have started reviewing a lot of form videos.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Idk guys. I haven't done a decline bench in years. I stick to flat BB and incline DB. Seems to be plenty.

BumRush

Idk guys. I haven't done a decline bench in years. I stick to flat BB and incline DB. Seems to be plenty.

I do far less decline than incline, for sure...but I feel like it gives my underpecs (is that a word?) a more 3D effect so I toss it on 1X a month.

Maybe your cues and positioning are all fucked?

Probably not at this point. I'm pretty careful about how I setup. It's just a complete lack of strength. Even my accessory numbers are garbage.

Even after years of doing them, I still even struggle with push-ups.

I'm like you, I'm at 205 and rising on squats and haven't hit 135 yet on bench and I feel like failure is imminent. I've added close grip bp and have started reviewing a lot of form videos.

This is already after a couple of deloads. I've managed to add about 12.5lbs in three months (whilst bulking). About the same as I've added to my OHP. lol

Edit - Actually... that's bollocks. I've checked and I was doing the same weight in March on OHP as I'm doing now, only I was about 10lbs heavier than I am now. Go go Psychotext's upper body!

GrapeApes

Ordered some wrist wraps and the company accidentally sent me 2. Was thinking about keeping it but I know the lifting gods would frown upon such action. Don't want karma to steal my gains

BumRush

Ordered some wrist wraps and the company accidentally sent me 2. Was thinking about keeping it but I know the lifting gods would frown upon such action. Don't want karma to steal my gains

If you feel bad about it, tell the company that you will not pay the shipping. They'll probably tell you to keep them.

GrapeApes

If you feel bad about it, tell the company that you will not pay the shipping. They'll probably tell you to keep them.
Would have told them to kick rocks if that was the case. Just have to write refuse on package and USPS will take it back. I don't know how many people would have called them for a big ticket item. Like an extra bar or weights.

Same here. I think I've done decline bench less than 10 times my entire life.

I really like incline. It's usually my major chest lift, whether with DBs or BBs, or both.

J. Bravo

So I've done every compound at least twice since I started lifting again lol. I've lost a ton of strength. Ohp 5rm is 135. And barely. The last rep took like 10 seconds to push up. Same thing happened with bench, at only 205. Also 5rm. Squat I haven't even attempted 3 plates yet. Got 295 for 5 tho. And deadlift I got 375 up twice. I've literally never been more sore than I was yesterday so today all I did was play basketball lol.

ILoveBish

Great day yet again. 5s week is done. Bench today with 5x160, 5x185 and 5x210. Ended with 10x160. Hit all my reps on my accessories super easy as well.

Looking forward to a very fun weekend.

3phemeral

Is it a bad thing that I get immense relief when I crack my upper back while doing bench Dumbbell Flyes? Seems to only happen if I lift my neck up a bit during the lowest point of the motion. I'm hoping I'm not flirting with serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom