• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
For the first time in my life, a girl squeezed my biceps and smiled. I don't even do direct biceps work anymore.

I'll credit my pendlay rows. Repped 225 last week!

despire

Damn me and my GF went to this christmas brunch today (at the place where we will have our wedding party next July) and I ate soo much. Traditional norwegian christmas food apparently. So good. I'm still pretty full and content and it's been 8 hours. So I guess that was my only meal today :)

All in all this weekend has been one feast after the next. Happy to get back on track tomorrow.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
For the first time in my life, a girl squeezed my biceps and smiled. I don't even do direct biceps work anymore.

I'll credit my pendlay rows. Repped 225 last week!
But imagine if you did do direct biceps work? It would have been more than just a smile!

I've decided to say fuck it to maintaining 190-195. I'm gonna just bulk like crazy. 205-210 lean would be fun to get if I can manage it. We'll see how things pan out until summer.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've decided to say fuck it to maintaining 190-195. I'm gonna just bulk like crazy. 205-210 lean would be fun to get if I can manage it. We'll see how things pan out until summer.
Sad to lose you from #TeamMaintain. Good luck but you probably don't need it knowing how easily you put on mass.

One nice thing about this bulk... I've definitely started to look like a "man" now. Sounds like a strange thing to say, but I'm so much more broad in the upper body than I ever was before and when I look in the mirror I no longer see the scrawny cyclist that used to look back at me.

Of course... I'm still scrawny as hell compared to most of you guys, but then I always will be unless I was to get on the juice. :p

velociraptor

One nice thing about this bulk... I've definitely started to look like a "man" now. Sounds like a strange thing to say, but I'm so much more broad in the upper body than I ever was before and when I look in the mirror I no longer see the scrawny cyclist that used to look back at me.

Of course... I'm still scrawny as hell compared to most of you guys, but then I always will be unless I was to get on the juice. :p

I think I'm pretty scrawny but I've always had lingering belly fat. Decided to say fuck it and I'm basically doing a mini-cut. I don't know what my caloric requirements are but it's all a guessing game for me. Going for 2000 on rest days, 2700 on training days. Sticking to heavy, compound movements (3/4 days weekly).

Pics I took last week: https://imgur.com/a/bjX95

Hopefully I won't look like a stick by the end of this o_o

goober

When is a good time to get your complex carbs in? Before a workout, after? Both?
What about simple carbs?
What about off days?

Right now I eat carbs before a workout (bowl of oatmeal) and little to no carbs afterwards (maybe vegetables or something). On my off days (I train 3 days a week), I barely have any carbs at all.

Goal is to slim down, but also gain strength so I estimated my basal energy ependiture according to the OP, cut some ~500 or so calories from that and try to get those calories each day. Even on lift days. Though I tend to eat less on off days.

Thanks for the help.

Arguably... simple carbs during / after a workout, and complex the rest of the time.... but seriously, no need to worry to that level. Leave the nutrient timing to the professional bodybuilders. Carb cycling on off days is sensible, but not required.

Um, boxer briefs are the only good kind of underwear anyway.

Psh, I wear tanga briefs when training. Got to keep my junk secure.

Arguably... simple carbs during / after a workout, and complex the rest of the time.... but seriously, no need to worry to that level. Leave the nutrient timing to the professional bodybuilders. Carb cycling on off days is sensible, but not required.

Agreed. My carb split is about 75/25 complex/simple. I don't worry much about when I take any kind of carb, TBH. Some days its more simple, some days less. I'm fine with it.

Psh, I wear tanga briefs when training. Got to keep my junk secure.

Just googled. Now that's secure!

Sad to lose you from #TeamMaintain. Good luck but you probably don't need it knowing how easily you put on mass.
Haha, sorry champ. I'm pretty satisfied with my size, but I just wanna see how far I can go. Naturally, of course.

Can't wait to see it. You're going to be diiiiiieeeesssseeellll
I hope so, lol. I haven't done a true bulk since I did 5/3/1 BBB over a year or so ago. It'll be nice to shake things up. Also, I want to go back to working on my big lifts.

Szu

Mother of god, your quads are going to be so huge that they're need their own social security numbers.

mdsfx

2 things:

1. Back to cutting. I've had enough of this bulking stuff. Will do again it same time next year.

2. 240x5 squats today. First set was f*cking tough. Might not make it lol. Edit: NOPE. 5-4-4-3-3.

My squats are getting pretty heavy, managed to clear 240x5x3, but I'm starting to get some serious pain in my knees during the squat. I'm already using knee sleeves.

That pain is not normal is it?

mdsfx

My squats are getting pretty heavy, managed to clear 240x5x3, but I'm starting to get some serious pain in my knees during the squat. I'm already using knee sleeves.

That pain is not normal is it?

Are you sitting back far enough to keep the load more on your hips/glutes/hamstrings? I only get knee problems if I'm too far forward, which happens once the weight gets too heavy for me.

Better to drop weight and keep your form strict than injure your knees in my humble opinion.

1. Back to cutting. I've had enough of this bulking stuff. Will do again it same time next year.

No the fuck you don't. You're not allowed to get ripped whilst I get fat. :mad:

Are you sitting back far enough to keep the load more on your hips/glutes/hamstrings? I only get knee problems if I'm too far forward, which happens once the weight gets too heavy for me.
Oddly enough, I tend to be the reverse. Heavy weights tend to push me back / down and on my warmups I've noticed I'm much more over my toes.

Better to drop weight and keep your form strict than injure your knees in my humble opinion.

That could be it.

Guess I'm due for a reset.

crpav

Well the cold/flu is hitting me hard as well as some end of year nagging injuries. I should not have even went to the gym this morning as I didn't do anything productive at all. My diet has sucked lately as I am just burnt out plus now being sick on top of that means time for a break.

PBY

Banned
Doing 5/3/1 (for BB);

Hit 3 full sets of OHP at 195. Slowly inching to that 225 1rm. Already mix in a bunch of accessory work, but I feel like the OHP climb is always so slow. What have people helped to get their weight up?

fatty mcfatty over here

hovering between 238-240

we can start over in 2016

until then, choo choo mother fuckers

I just hit 220 Saturday. I feel you, dude. Pic i posted earlier with my no-more-trimness happening makes me sad :(

I'd love to hit 230 before my next cut. But I still feel skinny. I think your'e tall like i am - 6'3" so, to me, 220 right now still feels skinny.

I just hit 220 Saturday. I feel you, dude. Pic i posted earlier with my no-more-trimness happening makes me sad :(

I'd love to hit 230 before my next cut. But I still feel skinny. I think your'e tall like i am - 6'3" so, to me, 220 right now still feels skinny.

yeah I am 6'2/3 and I while I want to put on more weight, I don't want to get "fat" at 240+. Just too much to deal with, I have gotten better tho!

yeah I am 6'2/3 and I while I want to put on more weight, I don't want to get "fat" at 240+. Just too much to deal with, I have gotten better tho!

Your progress pics look good, tho. I'm miffed about gaining some fat for the winter but it's almost unavoidable for a legit bulk.

What weight did you start feeling comfortable with when gaining tho? I don't know your starting weight but I was quite skinny. Before I got into any lifting i was in the 170s/180s. For a tall dude that's definitely stick figure status :p

Your progress pics look good, tho. I'm miffed about gaining some fat for the winter but it's almost unavoidable for a legit bulk.

What weight did you start feeling comfortable with when gaining tho? I don't know your starting weight but I was quite skinny. Before I got into any lifting i was in the 170s/180s. For a tall dude that's definitely stick figure status :p

comfortable in what way? I'm happy with my body but I just always want more haha

went from 210->185->238

19Pyemb.jpg
cyRwpeF.jpg
HuhoK0g.jpg

comfortable in what way? I'm happy with my body but I just always want more haha

went from 210->185->238

I mean i'm just not comfy even at 220. This pic was taken this weekend and i even tried an abusive light side shot to help with the fat gain during my bulk:

I guess I'm a decent size but when I look in the mirror i still see skinny me. I don't know when I will feel like not-skinny-me:

I mean i'm just not comfy even at 220. This pic was taken this weekend and i even tried an abusive light side shot to help with the fat gain during my bulk:

I guess I'm a decent size but when I look in the mirror i still see skinny me. I don't know when I will feel like not-skinny-me:

Clothing can make a difference, I myself like more of a slim fit/tapered look. Not to mention the shoulder to waist ratio can make an impact. It is always going to be a mental thing, just have to keep at it and attack what you feel your weak points are.

Now I am hype for the gym lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

went from 210->185->238

When was the 210 pic from again?

You seriously put on a ton of muscle since you started lifting.

Clothing can make a difference, I myself like more of a slim fit/tapered look. Not to mention the shoulder to waist ratio can make an impact. It is always going to be a mental thing, just have to keep at it and attack what you feel your weak points are.

Now I am hype for the gym lol.

Aye. That same Star Wars shirt now fits tight all over but I still see myself like that skinny version. Just a mental block :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom