• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp. I'm starting over from scratch. Been lifting for almost 2 years in February, but have been spending an absurd amount of time focusing on isolation exercises and I'm not really seeing a ton of gains from them. I'm already cut and skinny.
hardgainer or ectomorph or something
Didn't really start focusing on my compound lifts until a few weeks ago when I started deadlifting seriously and suddenly, my back started to make all kinds of gains.

So I switched to the Starting Strength program tonight, because I'm still very much a beginner, and I feel really good about what I accomplished tonight. I was able to slowdown and feel the stretch and squeeze with proper form during the squats, bent-over rows, deadlifts.

I think I'm going to stick with this, it feels like the right path.

Welp. I'm starting over from scratch. Been lifting for almost 2 years in February, but have been spending an absurd amount of time focusing on isolation exercises and I'm not really seeing a ton of gains from them. I'm already cut and skinny.
hardgainer or ectomorph or something
Didn't really start focusing on my compound lifts until a few weeks ago when I started deadlifting seriously and suddenly, my back started to make all kinds of gains.

So I switched to the Starting Strength program tonight, because I'm still very much a beginner, and I feel really good about what I accomplished tonight. I was able to slowdown and feel the stretch and squeeze with proper form during the squats, bent-over rows, deadlifts.

I think I'm going to stick with this, it feels like the right path.
SS is a good path! What's your diet like?

Does anyone know if certain breathing matters for compound lifts? I prefer and do breathing in from my nose and out from my mouth or sometimes nose too. I see some do breathing in with their mouth and out as well from their mouth. Does it really matter between these two ways?

SS is a good path! What's your diet like?

Clean eating almost 24/7, with occasional cheat pizza or ice cream here and there. Mostly eat fruits and vegetables, bread, rice, and a little pasta. Lean meat like chicken, fish, and turkey. No red meat or pork. I cut out regular eating of processed sweets like cookies and ice cream and my favorites, gummies, completely. High Fructose Corn Syrup was all up in everything. Replaced sweets with granola and tropical trail mix.

For instance, breakfast might be a flour tortilla with peanut butter, a whole banana, and granola, with a bowl of fruit like a whole apple, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, pears, etc.

Here's a progress picture I took at the gym a few weeks ago:
oafoZXe.jpg

Clean eating almost 24/7, with occasional cheat pizza or ice cream here and there. Mostly eat fruits and vegetables, bread, rice, and a little pasta. Lean meat like chicken, fish, and turkey. No red meat or pork. I cut out regular eating of processed sweets like cookies and ice cream and my favorites, gummies, completely. High Fructose Corn Syrup was all up in everything. Replaced sweets with granola and tropical trail mix.

For instance, breakfast might be a flour tortilla with peanut butter, a whole banana, and granola, with a bowl of fruit like a whole apple, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, pears, etc.

Here's a progress picture I took at the gym a few weeks ago:

You look great, man! Excellent vascularity.

What about calories, though? I need to eat a metric ton to move the scale up. Where are you putting your macros for gaining?

Wulfric

I vote in favor of the cute ginger on the last page. He even made tattoo gains! The beard helps a lot too.

Tomorrow will start my 6th week of SL; unfortunately the line graph where I record my progress is inching upwards ever so slowly. I think my noob gains are behind me you guys. D:

lenovox1

Does anyone know if certain breathing matters for compound lifts? I prefer and do breathing in from my nose and out from my mouth or sometimes nose too. I see some do breathing in with their mouth and out as well from their mouth. Does it really matter between these two ways?

As far as that's concerned, do what feels right to you. Breathing in and out through the mouth is physiologically easier, which may be meaningful when squatting or performing deadlifts. But it's most important to maintain deep, steady breaths that expand the trunk and to exhale on exertion.

As far as that's concerned, do what feels right to you. Breathing in and out through the mouth is physiologically easier, which may be meaningful when squatting or performing deadlifts. But it's most important to maintain deep, steady breaths that expand the trunk and to exhale on exertion.

I only tend to exhale when I'm failing on a rep. Otherwise I usually exhale at the end of each rep. Still not entirely sure which is better, I've seen studies that go either way.

Azulsky

I only tend to exhale when I'm failing on a rep. Otherwise I usually exhale at the end of each rep. Still not entirely sure which is better, I've seen studies that go either way.

It seems pretty easy to find information that supports contradictory positions on breathing.

On stuff like Bench Press I dont even feel the need to take a breath until a few reps in, after which all my reps are shittier because of losing that tension. If I am doing 8-12 rep sets I have no choice but to breath at some point.

For Squat I breathe out and in at the top of the rep and hold my breath for the entirety of the actual motion. But the need to breathe is there every rep unlike bench, ottherwise I would basically pass out during a set.

I feel like the most common advice is to exhale on the concentric portion of a rep.

For bench I find myself forcing myself to take a breath after each rep like squats... who knows, maybe that's why I'm shit at them. Maybe I should try and do about three, take another breath, then do the last two.

At this point you surely know what you cut on. You've clearly got quite some experience of it.

It's been years since I've trusted / used those calculated numbers.

I won't lie to you, I've done absolutely no calorie counting stuff at all. D:
Roger that. Calories is probably the number 1 reason many people feel like they are spinning their wheels when it comes to muscle gains. I'm about 4500 per day, another friend of mine is about 5k and another around 3k. There's no hard or fast rule about how much to start with other than some great BMR calculators to get you started. Everyone will have different needs but a caloric surplus is often overlooked.

I recalculate my needs at the start of every month. You eat all great foods - no changing that, but making sure to get the right macro breakdown and calorie surplus is a must for gaining muscle.

SS is a great routine to build with the core compound lifts. Get your diet situated for calories and you should see a big difference :D

I will say, hitting the over 4k mark is when I began adding supplements like protein shakes and bars. It gets difficult to eat that much food constantly but they do help. I think under 4k is relatively easy on the stomach and gag reflex with just food but past that gets difficult XD

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Question about tricep dips, been doing them recently and finding them very fun, however I am experiencing a weird issue with my neck, during the exercise I am fine, I lower to a 90 degree angle, no pains or issues just the obvious strains of exercise but the moment i hop off the bar I get this sharp pain in my lower neck around here.

3IAlSih.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? The pain goes away after a few seconds but its noticeable and I havent felt anything like this exercising before.

gaiages

Banned
Fitness GAF I'm a fitness n00b and have a question.

Right now I don't have a way to really track the calories I burn while walking, but I really want to track my calories burned in MyFitnessPal to start really figuring out how to adjust my diet. I walk a lot since I don't have a car, so it's an important thing for me to track.

So, um, is this chart somewhat accurate? I know I'm not going to get completely accurate calorie counts, but I want to get somewhat close. So, I did the math for yesterday...

Walking, normal pace, asphalt road - .036 per minute times weight (213lb) is 7.56 calories burned per minute... multiply that by how many minutes walked (65min) and I got 491.4 calories burned yesterday.

I dunno, that seems... really high to me? Again I know I won't be getting a perfect calorie count here, but this just seems off.

Also, any advice on manually tracking how many calories roughly burned while walking?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hey Fit-GAF, it's been a while, too much work setting up my new company. Anyway, wanted to post my squat pic for some critique. Apologies for the view being a bit obstucted, the corner with the rack is big tight.

ffuIBSM.jpg

It seems to me that my bar is too far forwards. I am doing a high-bars-ish stance, so any pointers would be useful. Thanks!

I dunno, that seems... really high to me? Again I know I won't be getting a perfect calorie count here, but this just seems off.

It's ridiculously high. I'd half that personally. Even when I'm going on calorie burn based on heart rate monitoring I only tend to take 1/2 to 2/3rds of the total as they work out to be well off (this bears out pretty well with my weight loss / gain / calorie intake).

I will say, hitting the over 4k mark is when I began adding supplements like protein shakes and bars. It gets difficult to eat that much food constantly but they do help. I think under 4k is relatively easy on the stomach and gag reflex with just food but past that gets difficult XD

Interestingly, I'm the complete opposite. I don't scale my protein, or if I do, it's slightly in reverse (more g / lb body weight when I'm cutting)... so when I'm bulking I find it really easy to hit my protein targets (much more food / wider range) than when I'm cutting. If I'm cutting I tend to stick to extremely high protein foods, as obviously a greater proportion of my calorie intake needs to come from protein to hit my targets within my calorie allowance. That's when the occasional protein drink comes in useful.

It seems to me that my bar is too far forwards. I am doing a high-bars-ish stance, so any pointers would be useful. Thanks!

I'd say you were probably too far forward / too far over your toes with your knees, but I'm no expert.

Hey Fit-GAF, it's been a while, too much work setting up my new company. Anyway, wanted to post my squat pic for some critique. Apologies for the view being a bit obstucted, the corner with the rack is big tight.

You are leaned waaaay too far forward. Try to keep as upright as possible. This will help you go down further. The path of travel of the bar should always be above your feet down and up. Try to go ATG and if that means lowering the weight - do it. Full range of motion is more important than weight.

Take a deep breath and HOLD IT throughout the duration. Don't exhale until you are 100% upright. When you inhale - tighten your core as much as possible to prevent leaning forward and ending up with a back injury.

Interestingly, I'm the complete opposite. I don't scale my protein, or if I do, it's slightly in reverse (more g / lb body weight when I'm cutting)... so when I'm bulking I find it really easy to hit my protein targets (much more food / wider range) than when I'm cutting. If I'm cutting I tend to stick to extremely high protein foods, as obviously a greater proportion of my calorie intake needs to come from protein to hit my targets within my calorie allowance. That's when the occasional protein drink comes in useful.

I keep about 0.8g per pound of body weight of protein. Sometimes less. When i started shakes I swapped some food protein for a single shake - just 24g. That lets me get in more solid carbs XD

I'd say you were probably too far forward / too far over your toes with your knees, but I'm no expert.
Eh, the knees going past your feet is broscience. Entirely dependent on how tall you are - sometimes it's unavoidable.

gaiages

Banned
It's ridiculously high. I'd half that personally. Even when I'm going on calorie burn based on heart rate monitoring I only tend to take 1/2 to 2/3rds of the total as they work out to be well off (this bears out pretty well with my weight loss / gain / calorie intake).

Okay good, I thought that was crazy high, lol. I'll slash the total in half and use that for the time being, until I can find a decent alternative. Thank you!

I keep about 0.8g per pound of body weight of protein. Sometimes less. When i started shakes I swapped some food protein for a single shake - just 24g. That lets me get in more solid carbs XD

I suspect with 4k calories to play with, you're not short of solid carbs. :p

Eh, the knees going past your feet is broscience. Entirely dependent on how tall you are - sometimes it's unavoidable.

Wasn't just that he was going over his knees that is the problem, it's the combination of going over his knees and tipping forward too. Given he's wearing squat shoes, he really shouldn't be as much as he is.

Man. I can finally go back to benching relatively pain free and my strength has plummeted off a cliff, broke into a thousand pieces and a bear walked by and pissed on the remains.

Time to rebuilt this shit.

i love the rebuild up of muscle, just gotta wait for muscle memory to kick in

I suspect with 4k calories to play with, you're not short of solid carbs. :p

Wasn't just that he was going over his knees that is the problem, it's the combination of going over his knees and tipping forward too. Given he's wearing squat shoes, he really shouldn't be as much as he is.
Ha! No on the carbs. I get plenty of solids. Just shifted some protein macros to a shake to make more room :D

Oh I get that he's leaning forward. But knees can protrude even when keeping your shoulders, hips and heels in a straight line. I have long legs so at parallel the will stick out over my toes but when I hit bottom they pull back. He can also try lowering the bar an inch or two to help keep from leaning forward as much as a slight shift in the weight down will naturally move it out (back) slightly due to the natural curvature of the shoulders/traps. This can help stabilize him as the center of gravity shifts slightly.

I'm all arms torso and legs so I employ small tricks for stability and full ROM. Still won't go sumo on deads though. I suck it up and pretend it's a deficit ha!

mkenyon

Banned
Definitely get back a bit, focus on dropping that bar right down at midfoot.

It could be a mobility issue? Can you squat ass to grass w/ no weight?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Definitely get back a bit, focus on dropping that bar right down at midfoot.

It could be a mobility issue? Can you squat ass to grass w/ no weight?

Mobility issue definitely, the leaning forward thing. Tight hamstrings and sitting over the years. Never learning to squat correctly as a kid. A combination of many things.

It's getting better (a few threads back you'll see some pretty shocking squat pics from me :-D), and I got this now to prevent and hopefully reverse damage:

It's all patience, and figuring ways to improve. Squat is a pretty damn complex move if your body hasn't got into the habit of doing it.

mkenyon

Banned
Have you done focused mobility work?

Lots of my nerd pals (not pejorative) who didn't do any lifting and very limited athletics have major issues with this. One of my friends had to do super focused mobility work for a few months before he could deadlift, squat, and bench properly.

The stuff in the OP is really great, as is this: http://www.mobilitywod.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've been on a quest to really push my Press #s up. Came across this article, which seems to be absolutely fantastic. Lots of people always talk about the Press being slow progress. Some great accessory tips in here for pushing it harder.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/stronger_press_starr.pdf

ILoveBish

Ate chow mein with beaded chicken, fries with nacho cheese sauce, and chocolate yesterday with my girl. 0 regrets. Gained 3.5lbs overnight which is water weight. Ready to deadlift today.

BumRush

Oh goddammit. Yeah i'm off today :(

Didn't catch any sleep last night because I was too busy debugging half the night. Feeling like poop all morning and my OHP is suffering because of it right now.

Sorry, Bum. I'm out of it.

Lol don't apologize. Just didn't want everyone thinking psycho had a faucet like mine :)

mkenyon

Banned
GAF Sweet 16 Champ is getting out of hand here folks. We gotta be careful, lest the next competition be nothing but bulge swelfies.

I've been on a quest to really push my Press #s up. Came across this article, which seems to be absolutely fantastic. Lots of people always talk about the Press being slow progress. Some great accessory tips in here for pushing it harder.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/stronger_press_starr.pdf

I think I'm going to need to make use of that. Thought I was making progress on OHP last week when I got 5/4/4/4/4... really thought I'd get another small increase this week. Result?

4/3/3/2/3

Fucksake. It's not like I'm even tired or anything. Had loads of sleep, and right after the OHP I managed to set a new Squat PR. So ridiculous.

Edit - Ha, reading that article and I'm already off to a really bad start... it suggests weighted dips. I tried normal dips for the first time today and it felt like my shoulders were being ripped out. It'll be 6 months before I reckon I could be looking at adding weight, and that's if I don't make my shoulder injuries any worse.

Lol don't apologize. Just didn't want everyone thinking psycho had a faucet like mine :)

:(

ILoveBish

Great day yet again. Deadlift with 3x305, 3x345 and 3x390. Every rep so smooth and easy. Got 5 sets of 10 on dips easy, and pendlay rows with 180-200lbs, all reps hit. Felt like I had 450+ easy in me on deadlift, but not going to let myself get attached to the numbers.

TripOpt55

I have really fallen in love with doing pull-ups. I have always loved dips and being to add weight to them. Recently I have started doing weighted pull-ups too which have been great. I usually do lower-rep sets with weight one day a week and higher rep sets another day. Without weight it really feels like I'm flying up now! May have something to do with my weight loss too. I am down from 207 pounds to about 185.

On the other end of things, my bench strength has really been dropping with the weight loss. Kind of a bummer, but I guess I knew it might happen. My other lifts haven't taken as much of a hit.

I love seeing all the progress pics in here. I kind of wish I had taken some before pics, but I guess I hated the way I looked too much!

mkenyon

Banned
Okay, so after being on Instagram for awhile now, I had this idea for a satire Instagram account.

The entire thing is from the perspective of a fitness chick, but, the person is actually my dog.

#fitnessbitch

For example, vid of her pulling at her lead and pushing hard with back legs against the leash.

"Before my sprints, I like to do a bit of resistance training to really get the glutes and hocks firing. Just get your human to be the weight."

Take pics of her meals, #cleanbulk

Is this as potentially funny as I think it might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom