• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So my sister finally decided to take my advice and start lifting. Showed her how to do SS today and she seemed pretty receptive to actually sticking with it. And her squat and deadlift form weren't bad. Bench form was a disaster but that's due to the bar being too heavy for her lol. I'm just glad she's getting in shape and of course that I could convince her to do SS. Of course bad news looks like it's gonna take forever to get my workouts in since she refuses to do any of the lifts unless I'm there ><.

mkenyon

Banned
Just purchased a 2016 black WRX. Comes in sometime in January. Pretty stoked!
Nice!

Pal of mine has a 2015, and I gotta say, I was really impressed with how far Subaru had come in terms of refinement. My old 2004 WRX was a shit econobox in comparison.

I'm waffling between a low mileage EVO X, WRX, or just replacing my EX35 with a new Q50S.

despire

Fifth day in a row in the gym. Workout went fine I guess. Noticed that I was considerably more tired this morning than usual. Nothing horrific though, but it was a noticeable difference. Was fine after some caffeine.

So from my little experiment I can say that I have no problems lifting 5x week but the fatigue starts to set in after thursday. Luckily weekends are off, and just in time. Gonna sleep like a log today.

My workout split is solid and fun. I'm also out faster than the rest of the "5x week crowd". Just need to get more sleep. Also being in a caloric surplus would help.

PS.
Weighted pistol squats suck major ass.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys. Now the wait begins. On the gym front I don't have much to report. Hovering around 185 and my lifts are fairly consistent. Just waiting for summer at this point. Winter blows.

Finals week has been killing my calorie goals. While I've still managed to eat clean (with the general increase in caffeine intake) I've been eating below my 3000 cal goal. I think I've lost like 3-5 lbs due to that (and the stress) alone.

mdsfx

Do any of you do Kendo? Or an other martial art I guess. I want to take up something.
I've done 2 years of Choi Kwang Do (purple belt), 4 years of Tae Kwon Do (red belt), and 1 year of Muay Thai.

Muay Thai was my favorite and required the most conditioning. It was also the most challenging.

Side note: I still have my practice nunchaku from TKD lol

SeanR1221

Fucking finally! 190 on the dot this morning. After being stuck at 191 for 2 months.

What an interesting week to drop it too...

So I'm finishing up this post masters certification I've been working on for a year and a half. The final exam is Saturday and all my focus has been on that. Haven't been to the gym all week.

On top of that, I'm eating slightly more than usual. Yesterday I actually had a cookie sandwich with my Panera bread dinner.

So to recap, I broke my plateau by not working out and eating more sugar/carbs. Lol. Maybe a little rest all the way around is what I needed.

mdsfx

Fucking finally! 190 on the dot this morning. After being stuck at 191 for 2 months.

What an interesting week to drop it too...

So I'm finishing up this post masters certification I've been working on for a year and a half. The final exam is Saturday and all my focus has been on that. Haven't been to the gym all week.

On top of that, I'm eating slightly more than usual. Yesterday I actually had a cookie sandwich with my Panera bread dinner.

So to recap, I broke my plateau by not working out and eating more sugar/carbs. Lol. Maybe a little rest all the way around is what I needed.

Congrats! Makes me wonder if sometimes we're just trying too hard.

Your back is jerking up which is causing your ass to flare out and your arms to do too much of the lifting. Solidify that and you should be able to lift a lot more.

Basically I should keep my back slightly more upright at the start of the lift? The back should become straight at the same time the legs become fully extended?

Also would you guys recommend 5x5 or 5x3?

Szu

I've done 2 years of Choi Kwang Do (purple belt), 4 years of Tae Kwon Do (red belt), and 1 year of Muay Thai.

Muay Thai was my favorite and required the most conditioning. It was also the most challenging.

Side note: I still have my practice nunchaku from TKD lol

I bet you hated this part of the training. :p

vlcsnap-2015-08-24-17h15m28s3.png

I'm starting to realise that I can't deal with 7 days a week of exercise any more. Maybe 7 days of weights I could deal with, but the four days of heavy duty cardio is completely wrecking me. I feel tired all the time, no matter how much I'm sleeping or eating.

Blech.

BumRush

Basically I should keep my back slightly more upright at the start of the lift? The back should become straight at the same time the legs become fully extended?

Also would you guys recommend 5x5 or 5x3?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_37zi5sN5k

This is our very own Brolic. Watch how his back, ass and arms move in one piece. Your back is jerking first, causing your arms to be stuck doing the lifting. Try to make the movement more fluid, if possible. Go lighter (maybe your 12RM) and post another video. Really focus on just that.

crpav

Felt like a beast at the gym this morning. Still have the tail end of this cold but some of the nagging pains I have been dealing with seem to be much better. Feel ashamed I didn't fully use my beast like feeling and bust it harder. Next week comes a week long vacation and will fatten up and rest to come back and go crazy mode in the new year.

Fifth day in a row in the gym. Workout went fine I guess. Noticed that I was considerably more tired this morning than usual. Nothing horrific though, but it was a noticeable difference. Was fine after some caffeine.

So from my little experiment I can say that I have no problems lifting 5x week but the fatigue starts to set in after thursday. Luckily weekends are off, and just in time. Gonna sleep like a log today.

My workout split is solid and fun. I'm also out faster than the rest of the "5x week crowd". Just need to get more sleep. Also being in a caloric surplus would help.

PS.
Weighted pistol squats suck major ass.

Whats your routine? i'm running an experiment this week in which I split my 3 day routine into 6, by separating squats and deadlift from everything else. So it is about the same number of exercises during the week and I do shorter workouts

Cooter

Holy shit. I had no idea it gets so cold. Meanwhile in NY it's like 60.

Congrats on the amazing car, brother.

I'm far from Vegas. Thanks man.

Dang, nice purchase Cooter! I'm hoping to get one in the future, unless a nicer car in the same price range comes out.
I need AWD, reliability, and decent gas mileage so this car is perfect. Of course the 268 hp is a nice bonus!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Weigh ins are tonight. Woke up at 237 just have to be 242.5 at weigh in. Won't be an issue. Then game day is tomorrow at 10am. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Wulfric

So it's finally time, eh? Keep us posted, sounds like it'll be a blast.

Quick question about my progress chart on the last page: I was 159 lbs on Nov 18th, and 161.4 lbs on Dec 16th, with all lifts going up steadily. Does an increase in strength with a minuscule weight change mean that my muscle mass to body fat ratio is better?

I feel that I look the same, but surely there would be some change in body composition after a month of SL?

J. Bravo

gf and i are looking to start yoga soon. any suggestions for what we can do at home? our gym offers classes but we don't want to go to the class. the only one we both can make is at 430am lol.

I already own p90x and insanity so if you think those yoga discs are good we can just do those.

mkenyon

Banned
gf and i are looking to start yoga soon. any suggestions for what we can do at home? our gym offers classes but we don't want to go to the class. the only one we both can make is at 430am lol.

I already own p90x and insanity so if you think those yoga discs are good we can just do those.
With how important form is in Yoga (it's everything), I'd definitely suggest finding a class somewhere, even paying for one outside of your gym. Having an instructor will greatly increase yogagains.

Chocobro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-FPh7r1yg&feature=youtu.be You can take a look at this. It was posted on /r/weightlifting a while ago and was well received.

I would take it slow as in some of her comments, she said, "This is a bit more of an intermediate routine but I wouldn't discourage a beginner from trying it. I think the biggest challenge for someone who has never done yoga before would be the pace. I kept it fairly fast moving as the guy who messaged me requesting this video wanted something that would be high intensity enough to feel like a workout while also giving him other benefits of yoga."

Feel free to take a look at some of her responses. You can also pay for the course, which is detailed in the second link.
https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifting/comments/2pt69w/a_powerlifter_asked_me_to_create_a_yoga_for/
https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifting/comments/2tv954/you_guys_asked_for_it_so_here_it_is_yoga_for/

despire

Whats your routine? i'm running an experiment this week in which I split my 3 day routine into 6, by separating squats and deadlift from everything else. So it is about the same number of exercises during the week and I do shorter workouts

Chest/Calves
Back/Abs
Shoulders/Calves
Upper/Abs
Legs/Shoulders

Most exercises 3 x 4-6 reps. I can post a more detailed plan if anyone is interested.

From here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006XF5BTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2 weeks in Brazil and now I'm back. I was a very bad boy and did not do any type of lifting there (which was dumb since there are a bunch of gyms there) . Currently doing 531....should I pick up where i left off 2 weeks ago or restart a cycle?

Zoe

With how important form is in Yoga (it's everything), I'd definitely suggest finding a class somewhere, even paying for one outside of your gym. Having an instructor will greatly increase yogagains.

This. Having an instructor in the same room as you is invaluable.

mkenyon

Banned
That sounds like the Cooter Routine, which I switched to for a few weeks before the Holidays hit. I noticed my most significant gains then.

Hit that one compound lift really hard, then a few accessories.

HKnightz

Chest/Calves
Back/Abs
Shoulders/Calves
Upper/Abs
Legs/Shoulders

Most exercises 3 x 4-6 reps. I can post a more detailed plan if anyone is interested.

From here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006XF5BTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Love the 4-6 rep range. I've actually been able to go from benching 6 controlled reps of 185lbs to 4 reps of 225lbs in 2 months. Doesn't approach someone like Cooter (lol) or Brolic (LOL), but I used to think benching 2 plates was an impossible achievement for me.

The book has solid advice regarding nutrition and the foundation of lifting as well.

Cooter

Good luck tomorrow Brolic. I've been waiting for this a long time so you must be jacked for the big day. Go get em!

That sounds like the Cooter Routine, which I switched to for a few weeks before the Holidays hit. I noticed my most significant gains then.

Hit that one compound lift really hard, then a few accessories.
I always separate DL and Squat. Haven't looked back since.

BumRush

2 weeks in Brazil and now I'm back. I was a very bad boy and did not do any type of lifting there (which was dumb since there are a bunch of gyms there) . Currently doing 531....should I pick up where i left off 2 weeks ago or restart a cycle?

To be honest, after 2 weeks of treating your body like I'm sure you did, I'd start a cycle. Others may feel differently, but I'm guessing it was 14+ cheat days.

I always separate DL and Squat. Haven't looked back since.

I used to not but DAMN your body and mind get tired of that after a while.

To be honest, after 2 weeks of treating your body like I'm sure you did, I'd start a cycle. Others may feel differently, but I'm guessing it was 14+ cheat days.

I used to not but DAMN your body and mind get tired of that after a while.

I only do it because I decided to bulk since I was cheating my diet too much during the holidays anyway. And it feels better to lift everyday when eating a lot. I'll go back to a more minimalist routine when I start cutting

ILoveBish

My god all these carbs I've been eating at Christmas parties, events, dates, etc. This holiday season cannot be over fast enough. I hit 229.2 this morning, up almost 11lbs in the past month. But I can still see my abs, it's just so much water weight. It's just a few weeks away from psycho strict time again. Going to San Diego for the weekend with my girl. Going to be a blast.

I would continue and see how 5s week goes. If well, keep going. If not, drop back and deload.

I would continue and see how 5s week goes. If well, keep going. If not, drop back and deload.
Thanks fellas. I sure did a 2 week cheat cycle lol. Brazilians sure love their carbs and red meat (bread bread bread bread...rice and beans and yea pastries and bread for dinner)

Cooter

Acquaintance at the gym invited me to come try out jujitsu. I think I'll give it a shot.

Aomber

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 156.4 lbs
Available Equipment: At home for a month on break, where I have a workout bench and a treadmil. Back at college, I have access to a full gym.

So I haven't worked out since earlier this year, did P90X for like the third time, and failed after a few weeks. I could keep up with the workouts, but honestly I just ran out of time. I didn't have time or the motivation to do an hour and a half 6 days a week, it was just stressing me out way too much with my other commitments.

So, this time, I'm definitely cutting down the time. I did quite a bit of reading in the OP and I think I'm gonna go with the Full Body workout. I just had a couple questions

• I see that this workout has a schedule for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for what I should do on some spare days, because I'd really like to aim to workout 5 or 6 times a week. It's just that I feel like only working out three times a week isn't enough - I want to turn this into a habit and a lifestyle change and I feel like only 3 times a week with gaps between won't help that happen.
  • I've been checking out some of the nutrition tools like myfitnesspal and the 1percentedge calculator, and they're great tools, but I'm still kinda unsure on exactly what to eat. I'm specifically looking to cut down on fat. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of some sort of guide on what I should and shouldn't be eating in terms of actual foods.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom