• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

I don't use a jug but I honestly couldn't function without ANY water at the gym.

yeah no way. I at LEAST drink 16oz, if not 32. I do find that if I drink too much when lifting heavy i can get sick. Not sure if that has to do with lifting early on an empty stomach or not...

BumRush

yeah no way. I at LEAST drink 16oz, if not 32. I do find that if I drink too much when lifting heavy i can get sick. Not sure if that has to do with lifting early on an empty stomach or not...

Agreed. I'm at 32 oz. like clockwork because that's my sweet spot.

JoeNut

Wow my Christmas diet has taken over, I've had so many carbs this week it's ridiculous, I'm also Ill as fuck with a cold so I'm just like screw it now till the new year

last selfie of the year, a bit doughy but not too bad, gonna ride this train into the new year and grind grind grind

this will be the year i get shredded! or something like that....

5kGcWXR.jpg

ILoveBish

Weighed in this morning finally. 235.6, up 17.2lbs in one month of bad eating. I'm still wearing my size 33 jeans and medium tank. It's mostly bloat and water retention. Definitely out of ketosis right now. Abs have also disappeared. Back on track tho, have food prepped for the next 5 days. I expect to be back to where I was or lower in 2 to 4 weeks.

I don't use a jug but I honestly couldn't function without ANY water at the gym.

Yeah, I usually knock back just shy of a litre over two hours.

Agreed. I'm at 32 oz. like clockwork because that's my sweet spot.

Yah, I used to also. I felt bloated after enough water and it was like my balance changed after enough water was in me. It took about 3 weeks to get used to not drinking water but I love it. I always feel the same from start to finish.

Weighed in this morning finally. 235.6, up 17.2lbs in one month of bad eating. I'm still wearing my size 33 jeans and medium tank. It's mostly bloat and water retention. Definitely out of ketosis right now. Abs have also disappeared. Back on track tho, have food prepped for the next 5 days. I expect to be back to where I was or lower in 2 to 4 weeks.

Its always frustrating how easy weight comes back. But good on you for tightening up the diet!

------------------------------------------
Checking in again Fit Gaf

Squat: 190
Bench: 210
Deadlift: 200
Overhead Press: 65 <<< I feel comfortable raising this up a bit now. No longer sore after workouts and fixed my form.

Power Clean: Coming soon, very technical lift that i'm going to have to practice a lot with just the bar...or a curtain rod...its what I use/used for squat practice.

This is all more weight than i've ever lifted in my entire life. Thanks again Fit Gaf changing workout plans has changed everything.

I too need to nail down my diet though. I have bad days here and there and its usually when i haven't gone shopping and there's no food in the house to eat. Its a trap. Gotta go grocery shopping more often.

Fox318

Alright fellas

I got my snapback, my retro nba jersey, my lifting gloves, my 5 gallon water cooler bottle, and my beats by dre.

Let's see if anyone sees me or if I just blend in with this camo on.

entremet

Has anyone's squat mobility gotten better over the years?

I remember having trouble going parallel, now after many years, I'm almost ass to grass.

I'm not the most flexible dude either.

bchamba

Alright fellas

I got my snapback, my retro nba jersey, my lifting gloves, my 5 gallon water cooler bottle, and my beats by dre.

Let's see if anyone sees me or if I just blend in with this camo on.

They'll only see you if you don't get that protein shake within the 30 minute post workout anabolic window

mdsfx

Hey man. Hey. Yo. I wear gloves on push days because nerve damage in my palm. A little bit of cushion helps :(

Pull days - nah. Use chalk from my climbing gear :D

But I get what you're saying. They do match my bookbag (black, until they make something darker).

Lol

I guess its as good a time as any to post a progress pic. This is from about a week or so ago post workout. I'm about 214 in this pic and its kind of shitty quality but oh well. I feel I really should work more on biceps, I think I should be doing them more often

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Recovering quite well only issue now is shoulder and it's negligible. Already eyeing NASA Open nationals in Springfield Ohio next June. Training starts now. Already have goal numbers in mind.

Looking great FE, you continue to get bigger and bigger.

This lurker says hi, and that is super impressive and motivating.

Appreciate it man.
Much deserved love for Brolic's achievements. Made me excited for leg days this week!

Side note: down to 164 from 171 in less than 2 weeks. Still holding on to 235lb squats and 205lb bench for 5x5. Very pleased.

Nice and thanks bud!
Agreed. It's cool to see folks that never post in here get excited about it too.

Means a lot from everyone, but like you say, when people who lurk post about it, it surprises me.

Wulfric

Its always frustrating how easy weight comes back. But good on you for tightening up the diet!

Overhead Press: 65 <<< I feel comfortable raising this up a bit now. No longer sore after workouts and fixed my form.

This is all more weight than i've ever lifted in my entire life. Thanks again Fit Gaf changing workout plans has changed everything.

Do you mind posting how long you've been training? I'm not far behind you except for the bench press.

Lol, you call that doughy, FallingEdge? You look pretty fine to me.

Everyone's bench seems so high, I haven't been able to cross 175 yet. I'll be hitting 300lbs in the squat and deadlift by next week so Its not that I'm weak all over, I just can't seem to get bench to the same level.

mkenyon

Banned
Everyone's bench seems so high, I haven't been able to cross 175 yet. I'll be hitting 300lbs in the squat and deadlift by next week so Its not that I'm weak all over, I just can't seem to get bench to the same level.
Same. I'm doing reps of 5 @ 280 on Squat, 315 on Deadlift (hopefully 320 tonight). Even my Press is decent at 150. Still at 185 on bench.

Fox318

just found a nice supplement and protein store nearby with pretty good deals.

Guy was really nice which is so refreshing after having shit experiences at places like GNC.

Picked up some of that Kill It 5% nutrition pre-workout as I was running low.

First form critique:

Edit off the non-lifting part of your video before you upload it. Don't make people watch 30 seconds of nothing.

Then, basically what bchamba said. You have to push out of the bottom with your hips, if your back is doing all the moving at the bottom you will not train the muscles you're supposed to be training and you will also someday strain your back. Keep the bar balanced over the middle of your foot the entire time so you can push with your hips through your heels instead of pulling with your back through your toes.

It looks like you lean too far forward on some of your reps. Might be fatigued by the third set or bringing in some high bar form into your low bar. I would suggest to make sure you're keeping your upper back and core tight the whole time, and really focus on throwing your ass back. Ideally you want the bar over your midfoot the entire time and it's hard to see in the video but it looks like it's going over your toes.

If you find yourself unable to stop the forward lean, opening up your stance wider and pointing your toes out a little might help you with being able to sit back while staying more upright.

Thanks guys

SeanR1221

Keep it up FE. Looking big dude.

Great squat session tonight. Managed 255x10 on 5s week. Then 275x5, 295x3 and 315x2. Followed by 190x20. My first time squatting my body weight for 20 reps.

Wulfric

Same. I'm doing reps of 5 @ 280 on Squat, 315 on Deadlift (hopefully 320 tonight). Even my Press is decent at 150. Still at 185 on bench.

Same here, struggling with 120 on bench. I deloaded last week and that's helped a bit, but it's still lagging behind the progress I've had on the other traditional lifts. My feet are planted firmed on the floor and my eyes are in line with the racked bar, no clue what the issue is with that particular lift. >_>

mdsfx

I'm feeling... slightly intimidated. I was going to drive in to work on my days off starting tomorrow just to use the gym, but opted to find something locally instead of driving an hour out and back.

Here are my two options, both of which seem heavily powerlifting oriented:

https://jakkedhardcore.com
http://www.barbellcentralaurora.com

Edit #2: So I'm at Barbell Central and its not bad. They have some serious shit here, complete with a few monolifts, dumbbells waay beyond 100lbs, and the deadlifting area is on a stage. Can't beat free for a day.

mdsfx

Hmm... Deadlifts after 10 sets of squats seem like a bad idea. My lower back is already saying "f*ck you, dude."

bchamba

Everybody struggling with bench should add more volume. Benching is much easier to recover from than squatting or deadlifting so you can get 2-3 bench sessions in during the week. Just vary the intensity and reps you do each session.

Fox318

BTW I've been starting to feel a burning sensation in my lower abdomen during squats.

Should I be concerned?

Does it mean my form is wrong?

El Daniel

------------------------------------------
Checking in again Fit Gaf

Power Clean: Coming soon, very technical lift that i'm going to have to practice a lot with just the bar...or a curtain rod...its what I use/used for squat practice.

I too need to nail down my diet though. I have bad days here and there and its usually when i haven't gone shopping and there's no food in the house to eat. Its a trap. Gotta go grocery shopping more often.
Your the first person I see whose bench is higher than squat and deadlift.

Goddamn. You're one big dude. Lookin' great!

thanks buddy!

RIP all the ladies in FE's zip code.

DearestDistortedGoshawk.gif

Looking great FE, you continue to get bigger and bigger.

thanks brotherman, I will eventually go back to heavy powerlifting as I miss moving the weight but I am enjoying the BB lifestyle for now

Lol, you call that doughy, FallingEdge? You look pretty fine to me.

it is a bit! I still want to lean out and am looking mushy due to the holidays. Go hard starting January!

Keep it up FE. Looking big dude.

tyty

I guess its as good a time as any to post a progress pic. This is from about a week or so ago post workout. I'm about 214 in this pic and its kind of shitty quality but oh well. I feel I really should work more on biceps, I think I should be doing them more often

wouldn't hurt to do more arm work if you aren't happy with the size they are at now

sphinx

the piano man
checking in here after a couple of weeks with lots of things going on.

---------

Brolic, very inspiring, congrats. Your family must be very proud of you.

---------

I am spending holidays at my parents in Mexico, where the weather is at an all-time high for a winter season, you can go outside with a T-shirt, mild cool temperatures at night, which allows me to go jogging and do stuff outdoors.

fitnesswise, my last 2 or 3 weeks in Germany were miserable, went once or twice to the gym for a month and lost weight and muscle, which was bad but I lost some of the gut so something good came out of it.

here in Mexico things are way better, I go 4-5 times a week and it seems to be a fancy gym so the equipment is in great condition. I am doing several exercises I usually neglect in Germany due to bad equipment.

yesterday I turned 38, things in my life regarding job and future are still uncertain but I want to think I am carrying my age with some dignity.

Here's a blurry selfie from yesterday, so this is where I stand now, looking forward to some PR's, more knowledge and more achievements in 2016.

1450829596460-1_zpsxdft2hbd.jpg

wilsonda

My fiancé's family told her to tell me to stop bulking up so much... it has only given me more motivation haha

I'm roughly 5ft 7inch weighing 172 lbs. During the winter I'm hoping to bulk up to 180 and then work on cutting down to 175ish for the beach season

ILoveBish

Yesterday was the official start of the cut, and body is right back into it. Down 4.4lbs overnight, still 12.8lbs to get back to where I was before all the non strict eating started.

Still no gym till next week, I am fiending, but my left tricep is bothering me less and less. By next week, should be good.

Almost new years where we'll be done with events and I can really start to get strict. Super excited.

mdsfx

Yesterday was the official start of the cut, and body is right back into it. Down 4.4lbs overnight, still 12.8lbs to get back to where I was before all the non strict eating started.

Still no gym till next week, I am fiending, but my left tricep is bothering me less and less. By next week, should be good.

Almost new years where we'll be done with events and I can really start to get strict. Super excited.

Awesome! It's hard taking time to heal but always worth it. I'm sure you'll make serious progress when you start back up.

You pop into my head every time I check my logged macros to make sure my carbs are staying sub 80. Sitting at 30 gross carbs right now and only 1 meal left. Feel about a million bucks better than I did when I was bulking.

goober

So I hadn't lifted in a week due to travel and what not. Back to the gym and I deload at the recommendation of the Stronglifts app. Pretty decent workout, but I'm constantly worried about whether or not I go atg and don't lean forward in my squats, so I went to a lower weight.

I also checked the business hours of my gym and they close early tomorrow and aren't open on Christmas day. Seeing as I worked out this morning, should I go tomorrow or have two days rest in between workouts?

It would lead me to squat on two consecutive days at a lower weight. But again, I'm working on form.

Any advice?

Personally I'd just have a day trying some different things rather than try to squat two days in a row.

But in this case, it's Christmas, take the extra rest day. You're not going to lose all your gainz over two days.

ILoveBish

Awesome! It's hard taking time to heal but always worth it. I'm sure you'll make serious progress when you start back up.

You pop into my head every time I check my logged macros to make sure my carbs are staying sub 80. Sitting at 30 gross carbs right now and only 1 meal left. Feel about a million bucks better than I did when I was bulking.

Yah man, all those carbs made me feel insanely tired, bloated and farty. I'm very glad to be back on track, although my family is meeting my girls family Saturday, so I won't have control over food intake that day. Otherwise for the rest of the year, should be smooth sailing.

2015 was a ridiculous year, one of the best. Hope 2016 is even better.

On the subject of Christmas, and thanks to my busted up shoulder, I think I'm going to do something completely different on Christmas day.

I reckon completely different from normal, stupidly high reps, pauses, super sets, cluster sets etc. Exercises I've never done before. Sure, wont be ideal for progression, but working to failure every session is grinding me down, and I don't fancy feeling like that on Christmas day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom