• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Oh, are we doing end of the year selfies now? I rarely take them, but I’ll throw mine in the ring. This was today after starting a routine back in September. If I look anxious it's because there were a couple guys walking past in the hallway:

QiKzwzK.jpg

Today’s lifts:
Squats: 190 lbs, 5x5
Overhead Press: 85 lbs, 5x5
Deadlift: 185 lbs, 1x5
Current weight: 163 lbs

This is geared towards the lurkers: Don’t let the buff regulars scare you off! There is no bodyfat requirement here, just effort. We’re all works in progress. Even the beasts like Brolic. :p

Fox318

Been feeling a burning feeling during my squats in my lower ab area.

Stopped as soon as I felt it but I feel fine now.

Maybe my belt pulled at some skin?

SeanR1221

End of the year progress selfies? Might as well before gorging and getting bloated on Christmas.

In February I'll be at a year of weight loss. Keep this train going with all the inspirational guys here.

And if you're a lurker looking to get in shape for the new year feel free to post. Better off to get good advice right from the start.

KillerBEA

sLoccZ3.jpg

Current weight: 185 lbs

Lifts:
Squat: 120
Bench Press: 45 (lol)
Deadlift: 150
Leg Press: 405

Fastest Mile: 8 Minutes 46 Seconds
Longest Distance w/o break: 2.5 Miles

Been lifting for less than 2 months, November 6th was my first time at the gym I think. I need to get my diet under control and I also need to quit smoking. I have managed to cut back quite a bit on smoking but I have had a hard time completely quitting.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Good work everyone!

So I started a new workout today. Yowch. I'm going to find it hard to lift the heavy Christmas food to my face tomorrow, so that's probably a good thing :)

My trainer has me using the TRX for the first time. I really liked the chest press action, the combination with resistance needing to use core control was good I think (the results are yet to be determined!). The rowing move just felt like I was swinging on momentum though. Didn't feel like too much of a workout, even though I was leaning pretty far back.

Do you guys find it an effective tool vs using the cable machine/functional trainer?

The Wall

Banned
I'm recovering from being laid up with a minor injury (badly sprained ankle, stiffness and tissue damage) and some problem areas in my muscles, joints and tendons. I find mentally adjusting to this kind of thing to be worse than the physical injury. I've gotten up to basic yoga, situps, pushups, squats and walking again, while seeing how I feel after a jog sometimes.

I have had a healthy diet and lifestyle for several years so I've just started to get a little soft and put on maybe 10 pounds from the inactvity. I was very slim before.

Any tips on adjusting to more low-energy workouts and how to move things up without making anything worse?

3phemeral

I'm recovering from being laid up with a minor injury (badly sprained ankle, stiffness and tissue damage) and some problem areas in my muscles, joints and tendons. I find mentally adjusting to this kind of thing to be worse than the physical injury. I've gotten up to basic yoga, situps, pushups, squats and walking again, while seeing how I feel after a jog sometimes.

I have had a healthy diet and lifestyle for several years so I've just started to get a little soft and put on maybe 10 pounds from the inactvity. I was very slim before.

Any tips on adjusting to more low-energy workouts and how to move things up without making anything worse?

For me, it was more about just getting myself to the gym and not burning out. You make baby steps as in, don't push yourself to max out of the gate. So that translated into picking weights that I could lift without a lot of strain, walking the treadmill and occasionally jogging, taking long enough breaks between where I would feel energized enough to do another set.

I did this until simply going to the gym became a habit and routine, so I didn't feel like I was going out of my way or missing out on other things. The good news is you adapt very quickly so if you really decide to start pushing yourself a bit more after that, it won't be as painful as had you jumped directly into a strenuous routine. If you're already eating healthy, you should be bouncing back from workouts just fine provided it's including enough protein for what you're lifting.

The most important thing is making it a habit and once you're at the gym, you can decide for yourself how much you feel like pushing yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about results this early on, either, as you're wanting to make it a habit that doesn't burn you out. You'll eventually see changes as you track your progress and learn how your body is responding.

Wulfric

Lifts:
Squat: 120
Bench Press: 45 (lol)
Deadlift: N/A
Leg Press: 405

Been lifting for less than 2 months, November 6th was my first time at the gym I think. I need to get my diet under control and I also need to quit smoking. I have managed to cut back quite a bit on smoking but I have had a hard time completely quitting.

I can't comment much on the smoking, but is there a reason you aren't deadlifting? If you need to start with the bar (I did myself), go with that. And is that a seated leg press you're doing 405 on? If you press that much I figure your squat would be higher than 120.
Nice work boys! Keep it up!
Nice job Wulfric & Sean.
Thanks a lot you guys, I'm starting the year off right thanks to this thread. Now I'm just trying to improve whatever I can in the one month before the drill sergeants get a hold of me. .___.

It's not really about soreness in my experience. If I do a proper leg day then I can forget about having an effective turbo training session the next day as there's just not enough in my legs left to get me through it. I can give absolutely everything I have, but the muscles just don't work nearly as well when they're recovering.

When I absolutely had to have a full on leg day, I'd do my turbo trainer work the same day (after a few hours). In my experience my legs hadn't got to that "recovery" point so I was still good to go.

These days though I don't ever do a dedicated leg day. Does way too much harm to the more important part of my training.

mdsfx

Edit: What he said ^

Did you add new exercises or something? A few days off? If you're running the same program for a bit, there should be some adaptation.
Nope, just increasing weight as usual week to week. Even if I'm not sore, my legs burn much more the day after and have less stamina.

Fox318

Its weird... I'm losing weight and I'm starting to see muscle definition but I feel like that just makes my gut look bigger.

Also there was a guy the other day at the gym who was using saran wrapping what looked like a mixture of hummus and tea leaves to his gut before working out.

Is that a thing?

entremet

Edit: What he said ^

Nope, just increasing weight as usual week to week. Even if I'm not sore, my legs burn much more the day after and have less stamina.
It's tricky balancing two modalities. I just started running this year. My recovery in the weight room has suffered.

The Wall

Banned
I don't really make new year's resolutions but this coming year will be heavily about getting some strength back and unfucking my body from injury and inactivity. I'm kind of weird in that I don't weight myself, really hit the weights or obsess over my diet. I have a small journal notebook to keep track of my progress once I feel I am able to really run again. I am excited FitGAF.

Hope everyone enjoys their holidays!

Human body is confusing. Everyone commenting on how broad I look now, and I have a full on V shape going on when i do pull ups... but for upper body lifts I'm lifting absolutely nothing more than I was when I stopped cutting more than two months ago.

ILoveBish

I can see my abs again, barely, but they're popping out. Making me feel a whole lot better.

Have you tried wrapping yourself in saran wrap with paste and leaves?

I think that might be a thing now.

That paste sounds too high in carbs bro. So no. Nah man. Eff that.

The Wall

Banned
Going to throw an end of the year selfie in as well. I think it will a great motivator to be more mindful of health and compare progress in the new year.

I've let my arms go fluffy too. :/
qN3mq9j.jpg

The Wall

Banned
And I want to be the first person to say many males frequently post shirtless photos of themselves. I care about fitness too. Sue me, I wasn't thinking too hard about it. I have trained for marathons and more, let's keep it about fitness.. can we pls be mature about it gaiz

Azulsky

I dont even know what my 2016 goals are yet.

I mean gainz obviously but I need to put together something more regimented.

No pics from me I look like a Biggest Loser winner.

ILoveBish

2016 is all about getting to my final goal size, whatever weight that is, and maintaining it properly. Also getting married, and better job.

bchamba

Yesterday hit front squats with 265 lbs for a 4x2 then an AMRAP I got 5 on, went for 6 but my delts were on fire. Followed that up with deadlift singles at 405 for a 4x1 and then an AMRAP of 5 which ties my PR with that weight but that was with no squatting before and no singles before so feels good to hit that when I've already done a lot of lower body volume. Today did pause benching for a 4x2 with 275 followed by an AMRAP of 4. Probably will be deloading into the new year.

Last front squat set:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jsfqe1mum8SEtldGZzNHZoN3c/view?usp=docslist_api

mdsfx

And I want to be the first person to say many males frequently post shirtless photos of themselves. I care about fitness too. Sue me, I wasn't thinking too hard about it. I have trained for marathons and more, let's keep it about fitness.. can we pls be mature about it gaiz

No one is upset and I'm sure 90% of us will maintain a fitness discussion and be supportive. It's that 10% that we thought might ruin it, at no fault of yours.

Anyways, good luck on your goals.

pixelation

You know well enough this won't end well, is it really necessary to show a part of your naked breast in a progress pic though?.

mdsfx

So this is the new place (Barbell Central) I found in Aurora, IL, about 20 minutes away. Very friendly, privately owned. New customers get a free day pass on their first visit. The usual cost is $10/day if you want to avoid long-term commitment, and the guy said if i'm in before 6am it's only $5! Can't beat it for the holidays!

Side note: I've never seen so many huge stacks of plates in my life lol

Edit: Also... THIS GUY.

Wulfric

Making my goals for next year:

Squat: 325 lbs (190 now)
Deadlift: 300 lbs (185 now)
Overhead Press: 150 lbs (85 now)
Bench: 200 lbs (95 now)
Weight Goal: A lean 170 by the year's end? I'll probably have to gain a couple more pounds if I want to lift more.

mdsfx

I can't see your abs bro... oh.

I must admit, the pic above was initially confusing to me too. I was like, Jesus, that's some pec right there. Oh.

Shutup, I just got off a two hour turbo trainer ride and I'm tired. :(

Only 2 hours?! Man, you've really let things slide...

;)

SeanR1221

Making my goals for next year:

Squat: 325 lbs (190 now)
Deadlift: 300 lbs (185 now)
Overhead Press: 150 lbs (85 now)
Bench: 200 lbs (95 now)
Weight Goal: A lean 170 by the year's end? I'll probably have to gain a couple more pounds if I want to lift more.

All seem reasonable, but I'd bump your deadlift up a bit. For most it's usually a higher than their squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom