• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm trying to drop my bf% right now by keeping carbs to a minimum. I've been eating things like spinach based salads and peanut butter. It's working well and going fine but I spend a lot of a time around my friends and when I'm unable to eat with them they begin to make comments about me starving myself which is really not the case. Telling me I'm already a twig even though I've got a belt of fat around my waist. It's starting to frustrate me, I know exactly what I want to look like and having a bunch of overweight people telling me I need to eat more is making it mentally tougher than it should be.

The Wall

Banned
I'm trying to drop my bf% right now by keeping carbs to a minimum. I've been eating things like spinach based salads and peanut butter. It's working well and going fine but I spend a lot of a time around my friends and when I'm unable to eat with them they begin to make comments about me starving myself which is really not the case. Telling me I'm already a twig even though I've got a belt of fat around my waist. It's starting to frustrate me, I know exactly what I want to look like and having a bunch of overweight people telling me I need to eat more is making it mentally tougher than it should be.

I feel like I understand what you're going through. Personally, because I am small, I feel like I can never speak of anything to do with my strength, cardio and health goals. I'll be looked at like some freak of nature because I already look "healthy". I hope you have fitness buddies IRL that "get it".

I actually use people like that as motivation. I don't want to look like them and I don't want to have their fitness levels... so I don't work out like them, and I certainly don't eat like them.

I have a couple of friends in particular who I think of any time I feel like doing a workout would be too hard, or that I should just go mad with the food. I'd never tell them that of course, but they've been a powerful motivator.

sphinx

the piano man
i'll ask here, to see what you guys think.

I was talking to this guy about gym and lifting and when I mentioned DOMS he said, "what? after 3 years you still experience doms? you clearly are doing something wrong. I haven't felt doms like in a decade." (he says he's been lifting since his early 20's and turned 50 this year)

what's the deal here? are DOMS gone for good after certain years?

my uneductaed guess would be "yeah, when you lift shit weight, of course you won't experience doms at all....." but I may very well be wrong since I am not as lectured in these matters so I'd rather ask here and learn if there's something to learn.

GrapeApes

my uneductaed guess would be "yeah, when you lift shit weight, of course you won't experience doms at all....." but I may very well be wrong since I am not as lectured in these matters so I'd rather ask here and learn if there's something to learn.
Maybe if he is on the same routine without increase in volume. I never use to get DOMs when I was starting out doing some 3x10 shit. As soon as I got on a real strength program with increases in volume the DOMs visit me every cycle.

sphinx

the piano man
Maybe if he is on the same routine without increase in volume. I never use to get DOMs when I was starting out doing some 3x10 shit. As soon as I got on a real strength program with increases in volume the DOMs visit me every cycle.

pretty much my experience.

lift seriously and have strength goals = DOMS, period.

I really can't see how getting doms means there's "something wrong"

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Dude sounds like an asshat sphinx. Of course DOMS will be less severe than with a new lifter but they can and will occur for even the most experienced lifters

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm no expert, but any time I lift after taking more than three or four days off, or if I make a major breakthrough in lifting a higher weight, I'll definitely have some form of DOMS starting the next day.

sphinx

the piano man
Dude sounds like an asshat sphinx. Of course DOMS will be less severe than with a new lifter but they can and will occur for even the most experienced lifters

I thought as much. and yeah the guy is an asshat lol, just wanted to see what fitgaf's opinion is.

I'm no expert, but any time I lift after taking more than three or four days off, or if I make a major breakthrough in lifting a higher weight, I'll definitely have some form of DOMS starting the next day.

to me is entirely random but I'd say factors like what I ate (or didn't), how I slept and how much I push myself doing something will make me experience more or less doms.

and the duration of DOMs is different depending on the body part, my thighs are always sore for a complete week, (it's nigh ridiculous) but my shoulders/traps are restored rather quickly, chest is 3 days too, all random ,

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Started tracking my macros seriously now. I got a scale for Xmas and today was my refeed day(every Sunday)

215 g Protein - 325g Carbs - 80g Fats

I am finding it very difficult to hit these macros. I even went to costco and got 2 slices of pizza and still got a ton of Protein to fit in.

Cooter

Started tracking my macros seriously now. I got a scale for Xmas and today was my refeed day(every Sunday)

I am finding it very difficult to hit these macros. I even went to costco and got 2 slices of pizza and still got a ton of Protein to fit in.
Peanut butter is your friend Tater.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Found out the guy who runs the local gym that competed at the same meet as me is using my video to train people and apparently himself how to deadlift properly. Just watched his new video deadlifting and his setup is exactly like mine now and it was nowhere near like it before. Plus someone else told me he's doing it.

BumRush

Found out the guy who runs the local gym that competed at the same meet as me is using my video to train people and apparently himself how to deadlift properly. Just watched his new video deadlifting and his setup is exactly like mine now and it was nowhere near like it before. Plus someone else told me he's doing it.

Flattering but probably illegal lol.

Irobot82

Immitation and flattery and all that, but man....on a deep level you've affected someone. That's deep.

i'll ask here, to see what you guys think.

I was talking to this guy about gym and lifting and when I mentioned DOMS he said, "what? after 3 years you still experience doms? you clearly are doing something wrong. I haven't felt doms like in a decade." (he says he's been lifting since his early 20's and turned 50 this year)

what's the deal here? are DOMS gone for good after certain years?

DOMS are never gone for good. You always have that potential to get them.

At the same time, it's definitely not normal to feel DOMS after every workout. It should really only feel pronounced when either you push yourself on a new exercise, or after a long period(i.e. weeks) of inactivity.

If you still feel them regularly, than you need to re-evaluate your sleep and nutrition.

sphinx

the piano man
DOMS are never gone for good. You always have that potential to get them.

At the same time, it's definitely not normal to feel DOMS after every workout. It should really only feel pronounced when either you push yourself on a new exercise, or after a long period(i.e. weeks) of inactivity.

If you still feel them regularly, than you need to re-evaluate your sleep and nutrition.

when I sleep and eat well, DOMs go away faster. but they do appear.

so you say if I eat and sleep well DOMs will never appear or they'll be barely noticeable.

like I said, I probably need to educate myself, but from where I stand now, I disagree with that notion.

I can eat and sleep well and DOMs will appear. Intensity of the dom feeling may change, the pace at which DOMs disappear may change but something like "I don't feel anything", that hasn't been my case at all, all these years, maybe I've been doing it wrong.

I rarely get DOMS unless I change my routine significantly. I used to, a lot (especially when I'd do a different body part every day), but I think my nutrition / supplementation helps alleviate a lot of that. Exception would possibly be deadlifts (lower back sometimes sore the next day), but I think I'm probably at the point where a belt might help there.

I think greasing the groove stuff has helped a lot too. There's never really a day now when I'm properly inactive.

when I sleep and eat well, DOMs go away faster. but they do appear.

so you say if I eat and sleep well DOMs will never appear or they'll be barely noticeable.

like I said, I probably need to educate myself, but from where I stand now, I disagree with that notion.

I can eat and sleep well and DOMs will appear. Intensity of the dom feeling may change, the pace at which DOMs disappear may change but something like "I don't feel anything", that hasn't been my case at all, all these years, maybe I've been doing it wrong.

No. Earlier in one your posts you said they happen randomly. And what I'm saying is that it's not random. You can %100 find out what's causing them and mitigate it.

To give you an anecdotal example, I have a habit of taking off from the gym for months at a time. January and August are my biggest offenders.

When I finally would get back to the gym, I would always get DOMS my first couple weeks back. One year I decided to try working out at %50 intensity for my first week back. 75% for my second week, and 90% for my third week back. And now, I don't get DOMS after long lay-offs.

Now, it's not always that easy to rectify. For me, I'm prone to getting DOMS in my wrists. I front squat with the clean grip, I bench and OHP heavy each week, and I play tennis once a week (my service motion can be pretty strenuous for my wrists). Sometimes there's not much you can or are willing to really change.

Speaking in your case, I think your really need to keep in mind that DOMS aren't caused by 1 sole factor.

Earlier you posted that you suspected that your friend doesn't get DOMS because he doesn't push himself as hard as you do in the gym. And that is true. Someone that works out at high intensity is more likely to get DOMS than someone who doesn't. However, that doesn't mean that someone who works out at high intensity is guaranteed to get DOMS.

You just need to look more at the whole picture.

First post on FitnessGAF.

I started a new routine today, I'm doing PHAT.

I've been lifting for over 4 years (started in college after doing some dumbbell stuff in my house when I was in high school). I boxed a bit in college and have a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do. I think my lifting really got serious 6 months ago and now I feel like I'm on a lifting high where I need to go to the gym.

Hoping to see us all make it in 2016.

Excel data tracking sheet for only this day (the whole sheet have every workout day there for tracking)

hJNnytX.png

First time doing cable triceps kickback. . could only do 5lbs after that long workout.

I get DOMS in my legs all the time. Almost every week, though some weeks it's stronger than others. Like say if I up my weight on squats, I'll really feel it after a couple of days. Generally why I tend to do intense leg days on Thursday, so I can recover on the weekend.

On the other side. I almost never get DOMS in my back. I can't even recall the last time I had sore lats.

despire

How much do you weigh? Body fat %? You might not need that much protein.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
How much do you weigh? Body fat %? You might not need that much protein.

No this is just my refeed day that I do every Sunday.

My typical cut day (M-Sat) is

180g Protein - 195g Carbs - 70g Fats (2160 calories)

Edit: I am using my goal bodyweight of 180 lbs. Currently sitting at 199

ILoveBish

Just new years left. I am so excited and also worried a bit about next year. This was the best year of my life by far. It will be hard to top it next year, but I'll do my best to try.

Left tricep barely bothered me today. Hitting gym tomorrow for 1s week. Also worried how crowded the gym is going to be. The new year resolutionists are usual packed in there from January to march. Need my own place with a cage asap.

mdsfx

Also worried how crowded the gym is going to be. The new year resolutionists are usual packed in there from January to march. Need my own place with a cage asap.
It's hard not to get annoyed. I know they have a right to be there, but damn I hate this annual cycle where people flood the gym for a month or two.

mdsfx

Back at Barbell Central. No idea why but my squats feel strong today (for me). About to attempt 275 just because I feel like I can...

Edit: WTF? 275x1 no problem. Ohhhh k.
Edit 2: 285x1. That was hard as balls lol. Back to 5x5

despire

What else are you eating besides spinach and pb? Doesn't sound exactly ideal if that's all you eat. How much protein are you getting? What's your caloric intake?

KillerBEA

Left tricep barely bothered me today. Hitting gym tomorrow for 1s week. Also worried how crowded the gym is going to be. The new year resolutionists are usual packed in there from January to march. Need my own place with a cage asap.

Yeah I want to set up a home gym at some point. The cage is gonna be the biggest issue for me. The gym I go to is already decently busy when I go (4-6am), can't imagine what it's gonna be like at the turn of year.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Welp, I had a good run. Wife is pregnant. Time to move to the suburbs. I'm going to try to stay fit but it's looking unlikely.

Any suburban dads have any tips for me?

I guess I should post my peak lifts for the record.

bench: 235 lbs
DL: 255 lbs
squat: 205 lbs

I weigh 161 lbs and I'm 5 foot 8. Maybe it wasn't such a good run...

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Do any of you guys do Yoga? I do weights 4x a week, would love to improve my flexibility, I think it will help with form and would be nice to have another exercise to do on rest days, would love some suggestions on routines or programs if you have any.

Heysoos

So, went to try out a new gym today with my friends since mine is too far from his place and this new one is almost perfectly half way for both of us. We all signed up for their 7 day trial online yesterday, says to come in anytime. So the three of us decide to go today at 6am. Well, no can do. We have to wait until 8am to use "guest" passes. I tell him it's not a guest pass though, it's a trial membership and their website has no such restrictions, not even in fine print. Nothing. Whatever we all suck it up and just go work out at my regular gym. Turns out the reason they won't let us go early is because we have to fucking sit down with a trainer(sales person) before we can even workout and use our guest passes. Well, what a quick way to lose my business.

When I was searching for a gym I never ran into any of this. Even Gold's was super chill about me trying them out for free. Going to try again tomorrow at this new place, just for the sake of my friend, but I doubt I'm going to be hitting this gym up after my trial.

lenovox1

Do any of you guys do Yoga? I do weights 4x a week, would love to improve my flexibility, I think it will help with form and would be nice to have another exercise to do on rest days, would love some suggestions on routines or programs if you have any.

I do! :) My ulimate advice is always to go find an instructor or yogi in order to find the proper, safest form when you're beginning with yoga. There's just stuff that video classes and online articles can't communicate when it comes to your individual body.

Can you burn a lot of calories from going hard on deadlifts? I'm usually sweating and my heart is racing after finishing them, and I'm wondering if that's why I've lost a couple of pounds. Or maybe I haven't been consistent with my diet lately.

Since the holidays are over and it's calm, I'll get back to eating some of the foods I've been neglecting the last week, and hopefully I get those 2-3 pounds back.

Cooter

Can you burn a lot of calories from going hard on deadlifts? I'm usually sweating and my heart is racing after finishing them, and I'm wondering if that's why I've lost a couple of pounds. Or maybe I haven't been consistent with my diet lately.

Since the holidays are over and it's calm, I'll get back to eating some of the foods I've been neglecting the last week, and hopefully I get those 2-3 pounds back.
Define a lot. It depends on duration and number of reps and sets. I'd say a solid session can burn 200-300 calories.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU, I injured my back during squats back on Christmas Eve. I was squatting 290 and on the first set I felt something wrong on my way up and there was a sharp pain, not like a herniated disc or anything but definitely because my form was off. I adjusted and finished the squatting workout without experiencing any exacerbation, but once I had to sit down or lay down for BP or flys, the pain was bad. The pain has gone down in the 4 days since, but I haven't been to the gym since. Don't think I'll be able to do exercises like squats, deadlifts, or rows for the time being as I wait for the swelling and pain to die down. Ugh, I swear, something always happens when I get close to squatting or deadlifting 300lbs.

I was also finally able to get over the 175lb hump in BP too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom