• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Fitness GAF. I recently starting hitting the gym again with the goal to get bigger, stronger, and leaner. I'm 6'3, 200 lbs and 15% of that is body fat. These numbers put my maintenance calories at 3000 cals I thought my diet was okay but after looking into it, it could be better. Here's what I've been doing so please critique away.

Morning:

--1 Cup Oatmeal (300 Cals, 5g of fat, 58 g carbs (50 minus fiber), 10g protein)
--1 Cup Whole Milk (150 Cals, 8g of fat, 12g carbs, 8g protein)
-- 1 Serving of Chia Seeds (60 cals, 3.5g of fat, 4g carbs (all fiber), 2 g protein
-- 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition Banana Cream Whey (120 cals, 1 g fat, 4 g carbs, 24 g prot)
--1/2 cup shredded coconut (100 cals, 10 g fat, 2 g carbs, 1 g protein)
-- 1 sausage link (230 cals, 20 g fat, 2g carbs, 9 g protein)

Breakfast nutritional profile: 960 cals, 47.5 g of fat, 70 g carbs, 54 g protein

Post-Workout

--1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition Banana Cream Whey (120 cals, 1 g fat, 4 g carbs, 24 g prot)
-- 1 Cup Whole Milk (150 Cals, 8g of fat, 12g carbs, 8g protein)

Post-Workout Nutritional Profile: 270 cals, 9 g of fat, 16 g of carbs, 32 g of protein

Lunch:

--1 Cup Oatmeal (300 Cals, 5g of fat, 58 g carbs (50 minus fiber), 10g protein)
-- 9.5 oz skinless rotisserie Chicken (438 cals, 10 g of fat, 85 g protein)

Lunch Nutritional Profile: 738 cals, 15 g of fat, 50 g carbs, 95 g protein

Dinner:

--1 serving unsalted butter (100 cals, 11 g of fat, 0 g carbs, 0 grams protein)
-- 6 jumbo eggs (540 cals, 36 g fat, 0 g carbs, 48 g protein)
-- 2 baked potatoes (200 cals, 0 g fat, 44 g carbs, 5 g protein)
-- 1 Cup Full Fat Greek Yogurt ( 220 cals, 12 g fat, 7 g carbs, 20 g protein)
-- 1 apple (80 cals, 0 g fat, 17 g carbs, 0 g protein)
-- 1 cup whole milk if I don't workout (150 Cals, 8g of fat, 12g carbs, 8g protein)

Dinner Nutritional Profile:

If I don't workout out: 1,290 cals, 67 g of fat, 80 g carbs, 81 g protein

If I did workout out: 1,140 cals, 59 g of fat, 68 g of carbs, 73 g of protein

Pre-Bed Snack:

--1 Cup 4% Milk Fat Cottage Cheese : (180 cals, 5 g of fat, 10 g of carbs, 20 g protein
--1 Tin of Tuna in water ( 90 cals, 1 g of fat, 0 g carbs, 20 g of protein)
-- 2 servings of chia seeds (120 cals, 7.0 g of fat, 0 g of carbs, 4 g of protein)
-- 1 apple (80 cals, 0 g fat, 17 g carbs, 0 g protein)
--1 1/2 serving of natural peanut butter (285 cals, 24 g of fat, 6 g of carbs, 10 g of protein

Pre-Bed Nutritional Info: 755 cals, 37g of fat, 33 g of carbs, 54 g of protein

Normal Day Nutritional Profile: 3,743 cals, 166.5 g of fat, 233 g of carbs, 284 g of protein

Workout Day Nutritional Profile: 3,863 cals, 167.5 g of fat (24%), 237 g of carbs (33%), 308 g of protein (43%)

I also take 1,500 mg of fish oil 2x day (800 epa, 600 dha) and I want to start taking the rainbow light mens multivitamin)

What can I do to improve? I thought my macro ratios were solid but apparently they aren't? Looks like my carbs and protein ratios should be swapped. I've only been only StrongLifts 5x5 for a month so before I get deeper in the ways of lifetime fitness, I wanna make sure I'm doing this right. Also I know I doubt have veggies in there. I throw some spinach in with my dinner every now and then. I like to think I get my antioxidants from my chia and my vitamins from my multivitamin. I am also thinking about switching to lean chicken breast for dinner and maybe switching milk, and yogurt to non fat or 1%.

Thanks to all who reply

Edit: Or maybe I'll cut the breakfast sausage. I won't lose much in the way of protein, I'll cut 20g of fat, and my bulk won't be so aggressive calories wise. And it'll rid of diet of any preservatives as well.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I would up your carbs and lower your protein Dragon. 308gs is serious overkill and not needed. Besides that everything looks fine and should definitely put some size and strength on you.

I would up your carbs and lower your protein Dragon. 308gs is serious overkill and not needed. Besides that everything looks fine and should definitely put some size and strength on you.

Thanks man. Any cheap ideas to adjust the macros?

Ill prolly do oatmeal 3x a day now and lose the cottage cheese before bed.

Okay: ill ditch the whey in the am and cottage cheese at night (44 g of protein) and add oatmeal (50 g carbs). And ill eat a banana in the am as well. And lose the tuna. That should square me away nicely. Thanks guys. Glad i caught this early.

I wont critique your food choices without enough evidence to suggest clean vs IIFYM (if it fits your macros) eating but It'll be hard to get bigger and leaner at the same time methinks. I think your calories are great but I'd shift a LOT from the protein into carbs, IMO.

Rule of thumb is 1g per pound of bodyweight but most settle around 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Protein, while needed, is fairly inert without the carbs needed to kickstart protein synthesis for proper muscle growth. They go hand in hand with carbs taking the lead role, despite being a completely inert macronutrient for muscle development.

I don't think you'll be able to shake gains in the fat dept, though. Learn to say goodbye to your abs :D :((

Edit: beaten by cooter like a noob for doing this on mobile.

Cooter

Thanks man. Any cheap ideas to adjust the macros?

Ill prolly do oatmeal 3x a day now and lose the cottage cheese before bed.
I would drop the whey in the morning, the eggs and greek yogurt for dinner and the tuna before bed. That would shave off 115ish grams and put you around 200 which is plenty on a bulk. You can replace it with whatever you like. I'm a huge fan of PB&Js. Potatoes (especially sweet) are awesome as well.

rokkerkory

I've spent a lot of time looking into this recently. These vids might be useful for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVehf-8FAxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd9VoT1BPAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hIHwLsiq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3jB_cfLwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL3cIDFUafU&feature=youtu.be&t=197
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hSAEqaVOI&feature=youtu.be&t=118

Bit of repetition in there, but worth watching to see different takes on things / noting what ones are recommended by multiple people.

I have a base number that I adjust based on my workout, but this is because my workouts can vary from 400kcal to 2000kcal+ (HRM calculated). Eating a set amount would probably be pretty stupid for me when I have a day that burns that much.

I would say any rotator cuff exercises with really silly light weights - like 3 lbs. The hardest part of doing them is not engaging the delt so you have to learn to keep the lever portion of the weight at your elbow by resting it against your hip.

You can lay on your side with your arm at a 90 degree, elbow tucked into your hip and perform forearm only raises like you are swinging your arm up, keeping your elbow tucked at your side to carry the weight.

Similarly, for greater ROM, use a cable at elbow height, pull from across your body outward, again with your arm at a 90 degree angle perpendicular to your body and using your hip as the lever for your elbow.

If you pulled a non-beach muscle in your shoulder these will help. If you created an impingement and pinched a nerve or tendon, your only hope is time.

To alleviate some pain during regular exercise, maintain proper thoracic extension when working shoulders - this will increase the amount of rotation allowed inside the cuff to prevent impingement. Having slightly lurched shoulders will lower your ability to rotate out and up during exercises and can cause further injury.

Check out some rotator cuff exercises and explanations on YouTube from some physical therapists. They can explain the cuff's natural range better than I can and show you how slight posture adjustments help allow for a wider range of motion without creating impingement.

Thank you guys, will check this out.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I guess this is the year people actually take me up on my offer of going to the gym with them and helping them lift. 1st my sister and now my cousin and her BF went to the gym with me today and I showed them how to lift and got them on Starting Strength.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I can only imagine that doing a proper routine will be helpful for them. Especially in terms of seeing progress and having structure.

Yeah I'm just glad they actually showed up to the gym and they're actually listening to me for once lol. I got a friend last year doing SS and he's been consistently lifting ever since. So really I should start being paid for being a personal trainer :p. Though I'd be terrible since I tell people my goal is to help you build a foundation and eventually have you not needing me to go to the gm and lift.

On an unrelated note next up I need to convince someone to listen and hire me as a web developer despite my hilarious lack of hard skills and experience. I imagine being swole is good for that 1st impression with a strong handshake lol. And I've managed to develop soft skills where people want to here and actually listen to my elevator pitch.

Anyone got some recommendations for Bluetooth headphones that are good for lifting? My current headphones (which I got from a local Aussie store) are starting to break.

mdsfx

Just realized our scale at work measures body fat (supposedly). It's this one. Tried this morning after only having had water. Got 9.2%. Going to try later today a few hours after a meal to see how that changes. I think it's a little low. I'm definitely still a bit fluffy :)

Am curious to see how consistent it is knowing it's not super accurate.

Edit: this thing is bullshit. Someone took out apart and it is nothing more than a scale using preset algorithms lol

So I guess this is the year people actually take me up on my offer of going to the gym with them and helping them lift. 1st my sister and now my cousin and her BF went to the gym with me today and I showed them how to lift and got them on Starting Strength.

Your doing Hercules work Nelo. Nice job bro.

I was thinking about how much my training has changed since I first started working out especially from the standpoint of time.
Over the years how much time on avg do you guys spend in the gym and how has it changed?
This is approximately mine:

2000-2005

1.5 hours

2005-2008

2 hours

2008-2013

Split Training
1 hour morning / 1 hour evening

2013-Now
30-40 min

Wulfric

It hasn't changed much for me, but I usually spend an hour give or take 10 minutes. Mostly the latter due to needing longer rest periods. I'd rather rest the extra minute than compromise a lift because I'm in a hurry to get things done.

Teggy

I love me Rich Piano.

Have you seen the gear he is taking? Fucking crazy.

Are his triceps really just steroid pumped muscle? They are insane but don't have any telltale synthol shape. His arms are bigger than any Olympia contestant as far as I can tell.

Sky Chief

I've been doing Starting Strength using the app and just had my first missed sets. On Nov 16 I started and was doing 85 lb squats. Yesterday I was up to 195lbs (my body weight). First set was fine, second set only got two reps, and third set got three. I think I'm eating and sleeping enough but did take a week and a half off while I was traveling over the holidays. This was my second workout after the break, first was on Tuesday and went well. Should I attempt 195 again tomorrow or what? Thanks.

Also I realize that I'm going to need all new pants and jeans soon, my legs don't fit into the ones I have anymore.

Are his triceps really just steroid pumped muscle? They are insane but don't have any telltale synthol shape. His arms are bigger than any Olympia contestant as far as I can tell.

he claims he doesn't do synthol which I tend to agree with because I don't think he would lie about that and show everything else he is taking

someone was saying that he is taking some other ish involving surgery and injections and all that other ish

You guys hear anything about this new SARM LGD-4033?
My wife's brother is asking me about it and claiming is FDA backed. Only experience I have with SARMS is that they are sketchy at best. I want to tell him to just go natural but I honestly don't know a lot about it

mkenyon

Banned
I've been doing Starting Strength using the app and just had my first missed sets. On Nov 16 I started and was doing 85 lb squats. Yesterday I was up to 195lbs (my body weight). First set was fine, second set only got two reps, and third set got three. I think I'm eating and sleeping enough but did take a week and a half off while I was traveling over the holidays. This was my second workout after the break, first was on Tuesday and went well. Should I attempt 195 again tomorrow or what? Thanks.

Also I realize that I'm going to need all new pants and jeans soon, my legs don't fit into the ones I have anymore.
The curse of the Modern Lifting Bro.

Yeah, just keep at the same weight until you win.

Teggy

My wife's brother is asking me about it and claiming is FDA backed. Only experience I have with SARMS is that they are sketchy at best. I want to tell him to just go natural but I honestly don't know a lot about it

With a name like that it must be on the cutting edge of medicine. Seriously though, unless your income relies on having a good body/being strong, I can't think of a good reason to mess with anything like that.

Cooter

This new position I'm in temporarily requires a ton of activity and constant lifting of 25-30 pounds. I think I underestimated how intensive it is because with all the holdiday eating and large number of cheat days I was somehow sitting at 182 yesterday after only 3 days of clean eating. I haven't been this low since pre Thanksgiving. Crazy. I looked down after the gym and my stomach looks like a bed of river rocks!

I feel like SARMs have already been banned, but i'll admit I'm not an expert.

No clue about any particular SARMS but I just hear good things in general.

Hi FitnessGaf!

I'm a university student doing a research project related to Crossfit and that whole sphere of "tough fitness." I'm looking to interview people who do or have done Crossfit and related programs. If you're into that scene or have previously been in that scene and are interested in talking about your experience, please PM me.

(If this sort of solicitation is against TOS or thread rules, please let me know and I'll remove the post ASAP)

ILoveBish

Down to 226.2 this morning. 7.8lbs to go till I'm back to where I was before I ate the planet. I put on some muscle since then, so I should be even leaner once I hit that weight.

Teggy

Hi FitnessGaf!

I'm a university student doing a research project related to Crossfit and that whole sphere of "tough fitness." I'm looking to interview people who do or have done Crossfit and related programs. If you're into that scene or have previously been in that scene and are interested in talking about your experience, please PM me.

(If this sort of solicitation is against TOS or thread rules, please let me know and I'll remove the post ASAP)

Crossfit is not thought of too highly in here but I think there have been a few in here that have tried it at one time or another. I thought there was a Crossfit ot but I might be making that up. There's a beachbody (insanity workout and stuff like that) OT I believe.

Crossfit is not thought of too highly in here but I think there have been a few in here that have tried it at one time or another. I thought there was a Crossfit ot but I might be making that up. There's a beachbody (insanity workout and stuff like that) OT I believe.
Thanks...I'll check out the beachbody thread. Couldn't find a Crossfit OT.

Zabuza

Banned
How many of you guys swear by Starting Strength for an absolute novice? and should I follow the program to the T or is adding things like accessory work and chin-ups/dips okay?

Also, can I substitute power cleans for rows or something?

mdsfx

How many of you guys swear by Starting Strength for an absolute novice? and should I follow the program to the T or is adding things like accessory work and chin-ups/dips okay?

Also, can I substitute power cleans for rows or something?

Starting Strength is fantastic. In my opinion, a few accessories are great, but stay focused on progressing on your compound lifts as your primary goal.

PS - careful with dips. Only saying that bc I used to go too low and messed up my shoulders.

lenovox1

Starting Strength is fantastic. In my opinion, a few accessories are great, but stay focused on progressing on your compound lifts as your primary goal.

PS - careful with dips. Only saying that bc I used to go too low and messed up my shoulders.

For absolute beginners, starting at the Gravitron or assisted dip machine or with bench dips is best anyways, and should significantly reduce any possibly of injury.

Wulfric

Yay, I did it! Managed 225 on squats today. That's been a mini-goal of mine for a while now. Next up: 3 plates for 315 lbs. Should be fun.

Squats: 225 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 115 lbs, 5x5
Barbell Row: 115 lbs, 5x5
Current weight: 164 lbs @ 5'4"

Are farmer's walks/carry any good for the traditional SL lifts? I tried walking around the track with two 35 lbs dumbbells and got a nice pump out of it. It should be fine to incorporate that in some days, right?

Zabuza

Banned

Okay cool. Any problem with adding curls? I'm also curious about working something in where I can go to the gym 5 times a week. I'm assuming that starting out I'll definitely need my off days but I'd like to go every day.

Sky Chief

Okay cool. Any problem with adding curls? I'm also curious about working something in where I can go to the gym 5 times a week. I'm assuming that starting out I'll definitely need my off days but I'd like to go every day.

Dude, only do three times a week. You need all the time possible just for recovery. I've been doing SS for a month and a half now. It starts out easy but before you know it it will be kicking your ass hard.

I add pull ups after Monday's lifting, abs after Wednesday, and arms after Friday as suggested in the OP variation but I'm even thinking of stopping that. The most additional exertion that I think you could do between days would be stuff like walking or not too strenuous bike riding.

Seriously, SS will stress your body and you need to take your rest seriously or you will just wear yourself down.

Zabuza

Banned
Dude, only do three times a week. You need all the time possible just for recovery. I've been doing SS for a month and a half now. It starts out easy but before you know it it will be kicking your ass hard.

I add pull ups after Monday's lifting, abs after Wednesday, and arms after Friday as suggested in the OP variation but I'm even thinking of stopping that. The most additional exertion that I think you could do between days would be stuff like walking or not too strenuous bike riding.

Seriously, SS will stress your body and you need to take your rest seriously or you will just wear yourself down.

Sounds good, thanks. Have you been seeing good results so far?

Sky Chief

Amazing. I started on Nov 16 and since then I took a week off when I visited home for Thanksgiving and one and a half weeks off for a Christmas and New Year's road trip.

In that short time my lifts have progressed as follows:
Squat - 85lb to 195lb
Bench - 85lb to 125lb
Press - 55lb to 90lb
Dead Lift - 155lb to 275lb

I went from not being able to do one pull up to doing three sets of 3-4

My legs and glutes and chest and shoulders are way bigger

mkenyon

Banned
Yay, I did it! Managed 225 on squats today. That's been a mini-goal of mine for a while now. Next up: 3 plates for 315 lbs. Should be fun.

Squats: 225 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 115 lbs, 5x5
Barbell Row: 115 lbs, 5x5
Current weight: 164 lbs @ 5'4"

Are farmer's walks/carry any good for the traditional SL lifts? I tried walking around the track with two 35 lbs dumbbells and got a nice pump out of it. It should be fine to incorporate that in some days, right?
Good work!

As per Farmer's Walks, they're amazing for increasing grip strength. I was advised to go heavy with shorter distances. I basically walk from one end of my gym to the other, then back, for one rep. Do three of those. Started with 60lb dumbbells, now at 100s.

The biggest benefit I've seen with them is Deadlift, because my failing point was grip. After a few weeks of Farmer's Walks, I went from like a 265 max to 3 plates.

Wulfric

Thanks mkenyon, deadlift is a weak point for myself as well. I did have to end the walk early thanks to some gnarly calluses on my hands, but I'll try it again next time in the weight room.

I was going 3.5 days a week with Starting Strength (MWFSu/TuThSa), it was good. Five days a week would be bad. Never squat two days in a row.

A lot of people do sub rows in for power cleans and as far as I know that won't do any harm. Good to do so if you're in a gym that doesn't have bumper plates or will send some goober over to "offer advice" if you're dropping weights from chest height.

Accessories are OK, probably not necessary. When your squat progresses to a point where your legs are still rocks at the next session, that's when you switch to 5/3/1 and pick an accessory plan. Don't spin your wheels on squatting too long. If you're past 200 and stalling often, make the switch and receive gains anew. At a slower pace than when you started, sure, but faster than stalling out squatting every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom