• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I mean, I get it. I've been there most of my life. It's not until the last 2 years that the switch flipped and I just kept going without ever looking back. And really, even though I was being persistent, I didn't know what I was doing when it came to nutrition. I have high hopes for this year to be dangerous, especially coming into it lifting much more and running much farther and faster >)

On that note, I know most will think it's pointless/a joke, but I always participate in the bodybuilding.com challenge around this time. I've never even held hopes of winning, but when you do this with a bunch of friends and you can all see your progress pics, the pressure gets turned up!

This is excellent thanks. My main problem with a lot of these plans is that I can't make the gym everyday due to my work schedule. There are some days, like today, where I am at work 15 hrs. All I want to do right after is eat and go to sleep.

mdsfx

This is excellent thanks. My main problem with a lot of these plans is that I can't make the gym everyday due to my work schedule. There are some days, like today, where I am at work 15 hrs. All I want to do right after is eat and go to sleep.
There isn't any plan associated with the challenge. You can do whatever you want. It's really just uploading progress pics.

If I worked 15 hours I probably wouldn't go to the gym either, but I also give myself no excuses on days when I have time. I've been getting winter storm warnings all day, but I'm running the trails in the morning no matter what the hell happens.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Wow, gym was packed yesterday, at like 2pm on a Thursday and all the PTs were flat out with new sign ons. So the fitness new years resolutions thing is, well a thing.

Hope people keep up with it.

I absolutely loath the commercial gyms here. I'm paying $60/month for Goodlife and I have to go at odd hours to even get a free power rack, thankfully there are a few 24/7s. Literally every bench, machine and rack will be used or crowded during normal hours @4-9pm with 70+ people in the gym.

mdsfx

I absolutely loath the commercial gyms here. I'm paying $60/month for Goodlife and I have to go at odd hours to even get a free power rack, thankfully there are a few 24/7s. Literally every bench, machine and rack will be used or crowded during normal hours @4-9pm with 70+ people in the gym.

Yikes. My gym at work can be packed during lunch and later in the day, but I go at 5:45 and it always looks like this:

BwTRgV8.jpg
Don't you love the fun-house mirrors? ugh....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Started event training again his week. Ended with sandbag loads. They didn't take a hit at all during the layoff.

150lbs over 62" high bar x 5.

http://youtu.be/94duiyrrIMg

Move to Illinois and we will start a strongman/powerlifting crew.

Nelo Ice

Banned

That's exactly why I avoid the hell out of 4-9 at my 24. The gym is usually dead when I go around 12-4. And the squat/power rack is usually empty every single time too lol. I usually only have to worry about waiting for a bench and occasionally a rack in the bumper plate area.

So I have a Deadlift problem. I feel great when doing regular grip, everything feels aligned and strong.

When I'm doing mixed grip, which becomes a necessity at heavier weights because of grip strength, it doesn't feel exactly right. It's hard to explain but my body doesn't feel totally aligned, so I'm not sure I'm getting the full potential out of tbe lift.

What are my options here? Is using straps considered 'cheating', never used them but they would obviously helps? Simply work on increasing my grip strength, though I'd imagine my grip would always fail before the rest of my body would. Or just suck it up and work on mixed grip form?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I have a Deadlift problem. I feel great when doing regular grip, everything feels aligned and strong.

When I'm doing mixed grip, which becomes a necessity at heavier weights because of grip strength, it doesn't feel exactly right. It's hard to explain but my body doesn't feel totally aligned, so I'm not sure I'm getting the full potential out of tbe lift.

What are my options here? Is using straps considered 'cheating', never used them but they would obviously helps? Simply work on increasing my grip strength, though I'd imagine my grip would always fail before the rest of my body would. Or just suck it up and work on mixed grip form?

Don't use straps because you can't figure out what is fucked up. Fix the fuck up. Make a video and let us see.

Also, if you don't plan on competing or making money on Instagram who the fuck cares how you deadlift?

Don't use straps because you can't figure out what is fucked up. Fix the fuck up. Make a video and let us see.

Also, if you don't plan on competing or making money on Instagram who the fuck cares how you deadlift?

Ok, I'll try and post a video. I was more thinking what's best for overall progress and to avoid injury. I'm just not feeling right doing mixed grip, which makes me think I'll work on grip strength to continue with double overhand grip.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, I'll try and post a video. I was more thinking what's best for overall progress and to avoid injury. I'm just not feeling right doing mixed grip, which makes me think I'll work on grip strength to continue with double overhand grip.

Eventually unless you learn hook grip you're gonna have to go to mix grip or straps.

Eventually unless you learn hook grip you're gonna have to go to mix grip or straps.

Alright, so seeing as I'm not competing or anything as you said, is it ok to use straps? The only thing that wouldn't be worked when using straps is grip strength right (which would be worked on lighter sets)? Thanks for the advice Brolic

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright, so seeing as I'm not competing or anything as you said, is it ok to use straps? The only thing that wouldn't be worked when using straps is grip strength right (which would be worked on lighter sets)? Thanks for the advice Brolic

It's just fine to use straps, just don't make them a crutch. Still work your grip.

Also realize, when learning anything new it's not gonna "feel right," that's normal until your your body learns the movement and you become more proficient.

Have any of you guys seen this IF Ad that's playing on YouTube. It's of a guy with the fricken batman music playing and it's 3 min(Yes I made it 3 min before finally skipping it) of a day in his life and somehow trying to equate the idea that his Lamborghini, his mansion and his overall success come from IF. I watched it in just utter bewilderment

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Have any of you guys seen this IF Ad that's playing on YouTube. It's of a guy with the fricken batman music playing and it's 3 min(Yes I made it 3 min before finally skipping it) of a day in his life and somehow trying to equate the idea that his Lamborghini, his mansion and his overall success come from IF. I watched it in just utter bewilderment

Pretty much encapsulates the bullshit that is the fitness industry as a whole.

I personally didn't like the mixed grip either, and I've stuck with double overhand the entire time I've been training.

Your not allowed to use straps in official powerlifting or weightlifting competitions. That's where the "straps are cheating" mentality mainly comes from. Weightlifters I've noticed still regularly train with straps. Powerlifters don't really seem to.

Keep in mind that deadlifts are a legs/back exercise, not a grip exercise. Don't use deadlifts to build your grip. Just tack some grip work on at the end of your routine.

Was it an ad for that Kinobody guy? That sounds like something he would say.

He looks like this...

Jintor

i had a quick look in the starting strength forum cos I only have access to dumbells right now and wanted to see if someone had written up a replacement dumbell routine instead of barbells and man, people on that forum are real jerks

I personally didn't like the mixed grip either, and I've stuck with double overhand the entire time I've been training.

Your not allowed to use straps in official powerlifting or weightlifting competitions. That's where the "straps are cheating" mentality mainly comes from. Weightlifters I've noticed still regularly train with straps. Powerlifters don't really seem to.

Keep in mind that deadlifts are a legs/back exercise, not a grip exercise. Don't use deadlifts to build your grip. Just tack some grip work on at the end of your routine.

Was it an ad for that Kinobody guy? That sounds like something he would say.

He looks like this...

Yup that's him.
What a tool bag

Yup

When I realized that the YouTube analytics we're going to log that not only did I view this garbage but I didn't hit skip for 3 min I truly felt a bit of shame

Do you guys like the barbell bench press? It's such a staple but I can never feel it activating my chest despite the shoulder pinching and grip changes.

Switched to dumbbell press + cable flyes and found it all-round better.

mdsfx

9°F trail run this morning. People give you looks like you're crazy, but with the right gear, the weather is hardly an excuse. I was plenty warm.

The only issue is the extra effort and caution required for running through show/ice.

mdsfx

Do you guys like the barbell bench press? It's such a staple but I can never feel it activating my chest despite the shoulder pinching and grip changes.

Did you try wide grip? What about increasing reps? Negatives or paused reps?

You have to activate your muscle right from the first set with barbell and make sure your not overloading your shoulders.

Try going for a 30 rep count for your first set. You'll flush your chest with blood and get the muscle fibers all activated for heavier weight

When you do your warm up sets focus on activating the pecs as you push up. Keep a tight grip on the bar and think about moving your elbows up instead of the bar. Keep that feeling in your head.

Make sure your grip is wide enough. As the bar touches your chest your wrists and forearms should be straight up and down.

Accessory dips so your triceps aren't limiting how much you can lock out.

If you have proper form and put an emphasis on squeezing the weight up with your chest (rotate the upper arm inward using your pecs, they aren't a push muscle) vs pushing up with your arms - you will activate it no problem. You shouldn't feel it in your shoulders above parallel.

Another tip if you are having trouble with activation is squeezing the bar together (similar to a cable crossover) as you push upwards as if trying to collapse the bar.

Do not flare your elbows out - keep them at 30-45 degrees downward. Your elbows at the bottom of the press should be below your nipple line.

TLDR
Shoulders properly squeezed and seated on the bench
30-45 degrees arm angle downwards
Squeeze with the chest, don't push with your arms
Squeeze the bar together on your way up to get a fee for activation
Concentrate with your mind on activating your chest

I'm going to punch that fucker in the gain weight thread. Pretty sure I did with my last post. Ooooooohhhh the amount of anecdotal and fairy dust bullshit that gets spewed when a new "health blog" is quoted is astounding.

I'm not the biggest or the strongest but I'm damn well enough learned in nutrition to speak my peace.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm going to punch that fucker in the gain weight thread. Pretty sure I did with my last post. Ooooooohhhh the amount of anecdotal and fairy dust bullshit that gets spewed when a new "health blog" is quoted is astounding.

I'm not the biggest or the strongest but I'm damn well enough learned in nutrition to speak my peace.

Avoid those threads. The rest of GAF and even some here don't put near the time or effort some of us do when reading, researching, experimenting in nutrition/fitness. Those threads often turn into the blind leading the blind, fitness shaming, confirmation bias and cesspools of bullshit.

Avoid those threads. The rest of GAF and even some here don't put near the time or effort some of us do when reading, researching, experimenting in nutrition/fitness. Those threads often turn into the blind leading the blind, fitness shaming, confirmation bias and cesspools of bullshit.
Aye.

The ignorance of some folk feel like pouring lemon juice in my eyeballs after they've been sand blasted.

I love how the onus from these types is "no, I'm right and everyone else is wrong so everyone has to prove me wrong" instead of "I have to prove everyone else is wrong before I prove I am right."

SeanR1221

Started event training again his week. Ended with sandbag loads. They didn't take a hit at all during the layoff.

150lbs over 62" high bar x 5.

http://youtu.be/94duiyrrIMg

Nice dude. You've come a long way from your original post on sandbags. I imagine they're really difficult to handle at first when all the sand starts shifting.

Yup, thread went to shit pretty fast. The guy looking to gain weight was already taking notes on all kinds of gimmicks. It's like...you're 120lbs dude. Eat some oatmeal and peanut butter and actually start lifting. You'll be fine. Plus he's not even tracking, so it could easily be another case of just under eating.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Aye.

The ignorance of some folk feel like pouring lemon juice in my eyeballs after they've been sand blasted.

I love how the onus from these types is "no, I'm right and everyone else is wrong so everyone has to prove me wrong" instead of "I have to prove everyone else is wrong before I prove I am right."

Honestly, it's like anything else, just for some reason fitness/nutrition seems to be amplified.

Nice dude. You've come a long way from your original post on sandbags. I imagine they're really difficult to handle at first when all the sand starts shifting.

Yup, thread went to shit pretty fast. The guy looking to gain weight was already taking notes on all kinds of gimmicks. It's like...you're 120lbs dude. Eat some oatmeal and peanut butter and actually start lifting. You'll be fine. Plus he's not even tracking, so it could easily be another case of just under eating.

Thanks bro, and yeah, it took a while, but it's great for simulating stone loads.

BTW fantastic progress you're making.

theytookourjobz

ZurwKzol.jpg

Trying to get back on track after a rough holiday diet. I've also been doing a bodybuilding split for the past month or so and cut back on the CrossFit and cardio a bit. I never really spent much time benching or doing "legs" in any way besides squats and deads and holy hell am I sore just about every day. New found respect for the 4x12 bodybuilding crew. This shit is hard.

It's amazing how much a food scale and a myfitnesspal account can do for people struggling to gain/lose. If I had a dime for every person I've come across that doesn't eat properly to meet their goals....

The Enchanter

Neo Member
9°F trail run this morning. People give you looks like you're crazy, but with the right gear, the weather is hardly an excuse. I was plenty warm.

The only issue is the extra effort and caution required for running through show/ice.

Wow, great work! I headed out in 4C (42 F) weather today and thought I was boss (I'm an Aussie still adapting to UK weather...!).

When I did some hiking in Norway I was impressed to see people easily running icy trails with their regular trainers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ZurwKzol.jpg

Trying to get back on track after a rough holiday diet. I've also been doing a bodybuilding split for the past month or so and cut back on the CrossFit and cardio a bit. I never really spent much time benching or doing "legs" in any way besides squats and deads and holy hell am I sore just about every day. New found respect for the 4x12 bodybuilding crew. This shit is hard.

Looking jacked bro. Nice pelt as well.

SeanR1221

Thanks bro, and yeah, it took a while, but it's great for simulating stone loads.

BTW fantastic progress you're making.

Thanks I really appreciate it.

ZurwKzol.jpg

Awesome man. You look great.

ZurwKzol.jpg

Looking great man! Damn. Keep it up.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
i had a quick look in the starting strength forum cos I only have access to dumbells right now and wanted to see if someone had written up a replacement dumbell routine instead of barbells and man, people on that forum are real jerks

What range of weights for Dumbbells do you have?

Depending on your answer, my response could be helpful or make me sound like a jerk.

Dumbbells work great for upper body, very problematic for the lower body.

ZurwKzol.jpg

Looking fantastic bro keep it up.

It's amazing how much a food scale and a myfitnesspal account can do for people struggling to gain/lose. If I had a dime for every person I've come across that doesn't eat properly to meet their goals....

It is 90% of the culprit behind people failing to achieve their fitness goals. I've had times when I'm killing it in the gym and times when I'm pretty lackluster and the thing that impacts me the most is always my diet.

Honestly, it's like anything else, just for some reason fitness/nutrition seems to be amplified.
Yup.

So much this. Food is usually the last thing people seek to get in order if at all. Proper macro management is essential.

Wulfric

Damn, you're jacked. Nice sleeve tat btw.

I feel bad for the OP of that weight gain thread. I'm in a similar position, except I need to lose weight in order to meet regulation. If he needs to gain weight, chicken and oats work wonders in the right quantities. Did anyone invite him to check out this thread yet?

SeanR1221

Started taking creatine again. I stopped about over a year ago I think?

Found a big tub of it in my pantry that expires in 4 months so I figured why not.

Jintor

What range of weights for Dumbbells do you have?

Depending on your answer, my response could be helpful or make me sound like a jerk.

Dumbbells work great for upper body, very problematic for the lower body.

12x 2.5kg, 4 x 1.5kg, bars weigh... I think 1kg.

As you may be able to tell, I am very new at this

mdsfx

Losing weight and gaining weight are both too hard. Halp
1. Start with an online calories calculator to find out how much you need to eat for your goals

2. Track your calories with a simple app like MyFitnessPal

3. Adjust your food intake 2-3 weeks in as needed based on your results

GrizzNKev

Banned
1. Start with an online calories calculator to find out how much you need to eat for your goals

2. Track your calories with a simple app like MyFitnessPal

3. Adjust your food intake 2-3 weeks in as needed based on you results

What is the perfect gaining diet for a 6'1, 170lb male who is doing SS? Should I even be gaining? This is a huge mental struggle for me. What weight do I stop at? I look like this currently. I am not super comfortable sharing my shirtless self online but I really need the right advice.

My current lifting stats, using SS rep and set counts:

DL: 140
Squat: 150
OHP: 75
Bench: 130

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom