• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Weaver you look so damn good bro. Amazing body.

Crazy deal going on at GNC
pGNC1-20020787t300x300.jpg

I like these way more than Qwest. I know I know come at me bro's
Member Price: $12.78
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=52803786&prodFindSrc=cart

I like them better than Quest as well. #brucescloset

Thanks Bruce <3

Came in to say 2 things.

1). Spirit's a fucking beast
2). The redditor's transformation is absolutely possible in that amount of time. I'd like to think I had a very similar transformation in around the same time (if not less), as have many other gaffers.

I've went from 215 to 180 in under 3 months. It's not some superhuman feat.
Thanks guys for sharing. I think people are too quick to dismiss every transformation they see, for whatever reason. Yes people bullshit, yes people take drugs, but you can still achieve some incredible things without that.

You're supposed to frown in the before picture and smile in the after picture. Do you even Internet?
Lol, I'm pretty sure all that was on my mind was how much I wanted a pizza. Awful time.

I like them better than Quest as well. #brucescloset

Hahaha I'll leave you a box in there.

Is it worth it to become a GNC member?

I hate GNC but when it comes to protein bars or powder they have better discounts then Amazon.

Wait this is a thing?

hmm... I found the Muscletech fake quest to be awful, maybe ill try these.

Muscletech are awful. B-Up is the only bar I have had that actually tastes like food. They don't have any of the weird aftertaste you get from most Pbars because of all the fake stuff.

KillerBEA

I have about 150mg (cup of large coffee) throughout the day and 150mg as a preworkout (I make my own) and another 50mg I drink during the first 2/3 of my workout. That's about 2.3 cups of coffee every day. I also work 10-12 hour shifts at the day job. During the winter in my off time its just my pre and intra. I think that's an OK amount. I won't go past 350mg in a day. What's your mg breakdown?

1 Cherry Coke @ 35 each
3 Monsters @ 160ish each
1 Scoop Pre Workout @ 150ish each
1 Starbucks Canned Coffee @ 145ish each
1 Medium Cup of Coffee @ 100-150
1 32oz Cup Mountain Dew @ 145ish

So that came out to about 1,055mg today, which is similar to what I drank on Monday.

1 Cherry Coke @ 35 each
3 Monsters @ 160ish each

So that came out to about 1,055mg today, which is similar to what I drank on Monday.

i hope those sodas/energy drinks are 0 cal/sugar free

mdsfx

1 Cherry Coke @ 35 each
3 Monsters @ 160ish each

Jesus. I try to stay under 200mg. I feel like if you stopped drinking caffiene tomorrow, you would die lol

KillerBEA

i hope those sodas/energy drinks are 0 cal/sugar free
Nope

Each Monster is 210 calories and 50g of Sugar, and the Cherry coke is 150 calories and 42g of Sugar. AS soon as I get to work, it's extremely automatic to grab my first monster. To the point my co workers sometimes have one sitting at the counter for me before I walk in the door. I usually have all 3 monsters before my 6-8 hour shift is over, then I drink the pre workout on the way to the gym after work, and anything extra is bought during break/between classes. The mountain dew was so I could safely drive home.

Jesus. I try to stay under 200mg. I feel like if you stopped drinking caffiene tomorrow, you would die lol
I have the next 2 days off work and school so I am gonna aim to stay under 300mg and drink extra water. Not that I don't already drink a ton of water anyways heh.

Wulfric

Oh dear, I'd be constantly twitching in my chair with all that caffeine. I'm guessing those aren't the sugar free varieties, are they KillerBEA? Three cans of Monster a day is more than 150 grams of sugar.

Nope

Each Monster is 210 calories and 50g of Sugar, and the Cherry coke is 150 calories and 42g of Sugar. AS soon as I get to work, it's extremely automatic to grab my first monster. To the point my co workers sometimes have one sitting at the counter for me before I walk in the door. I usually have all 3 monsters before my 6-8 hour shift is over, then I drink the pre workout on the way to the gym after work, and anything extra is bought during break/between classes. The mountain dew was so I could safely drive home.

I have the next 2 days off work and school so I am gonna aim to stay under 300mg and drink extra water. Not that I don't already drink a ton of water anyways heh.

A nightshift is nuts. I don't know how I could handle it. You should ask Brolic what he did cause he had a pretty crazy night schedule for a long time.

KillerBEA

Oh dear, I'd be constantly twitching in my chair with all that caffeine. I'm guessing those aren't the sugar free varieties, are they KillerBEA? Three cans of Monster a day is more than 150 grams of sugar.
Yeah my sugar intake is pretty crazy. I have been doing really good about not smoking and cutting back on soda, but the energy drinks have gotten worse. Traded vices for making my worst vice even worse. :/

A nightshift is nuts. I don't know how I could handle it. You should ask Brolic what he did cause he had a pretty crazy night schedule for a long time.
I was managing well enough and then once school was around the corner again my consumption started creeping up. Once school started again I got into the 1k+ mg per day.

I've had similar issues. I'm at a point where I need 600 mg in the morning before I lift.

I am hoping I can bring myself back down to more normal levels over my weekend and continue to work it down or I am gonna end up spending $150 a week staying awake. I can't afford that.

SeanR1221

My wife is a night shift nurse and it took her months of tinkering but she got it down.

She has a very set schedule of how she eats and I think she mixes high and low calorie days.

Nope

brotherman, the amount of calories you are consuming in sugar alone is absurd. The good news is that once you drop the sugary drinks, you can replace those calories with food :)

PBY

Banned
Yeah my sugar intake is pretty crazy. I have been doing really good about not smoking and cutting back on soda, but the energy drinks have gotten worse. Traded vices for making my worst vice even worse. :/

The thing is - they do make sugar free energy drinks, you know this right?

Teggy

I've been drinking a black coffee before my workouts but to be honest I don't really feel that it has an effect for me. Maybe I need stronger coffee. I still do it regardless because I like coffee and it's a nice ritual.

I don't really want to get involved with pre workouts. #nattyandold

Always, in my opinion. Plus maybe you can take some aggression out if necessary.

I don't really have any aggression any more, I just feel completely deflated. I got through the workout, though I had to switch from my original squat setup to a lower weight / more reps. No way I'd have been in the right place mentally to get under the bar for a max effort on that. Would have ended up injured.

Vaguely related. why is it we generally do 3x5 or 5x5... but not 4x5? I did 4x7 on squats just for the hell of it. No idea how I ended up at that number.

JCX

I've never had an energy drink before, lol. Unless those caffeinated Four Lokos count. :\ That was a fun time.

I bought a shopping bag full the last day they were on sale. RIP Four Loko. You can make a janky one by pouring a 5 hour energy in the new Faux Lokos.

I think a lot of people who up their caffeine intake to crazy levels do it because they grow accustomed to the buzz of a caffeine high. You develop a tolerance for both the buzz and the caffeine every time you increase dosing. You don't need to feel the buzz to know caffeine works, which is why many assume it doesn't.

You want to use it to blunt fatigue, not give you a buzz or extreme energy, IMO. The foods you eat are there to provide fuel. If a type 1 diabetic like myself with full thyroid replacement meds and energy management issues can swing 10-12 hour days working concrete at the day job on 150mg then come home and lift after a homemade pre, I don't see why a normal human with a working thyroid needs to down drinks like that.

For your health I would start cutting 100mg every other week until youre under 400. All that sugar and caffeine is super unhealthy. I don't mean to preach but today was a shit day at the doc with scary news again.

mdsfx

Bad experience related to caffiene:

Woke up tired for a weekend run during the summer when it was 90°F and humid as hell. Took a serving of C4 preworkout thinking it would help.

Bad
F*cking
Idea

Thought I was going to die 4 miles into the wooded trail and I knew I had to turn around. I then had the longest 4-mile run home of my life.

Currently doing starting strenght, thinking of switching to 5-3-1 using the same routine.

Good idea/bad idea?

Should I use the maximum weight possible for all 3 sets?

For example, if I currently do 200x5x3 on benchpress, should I do 200x5, then 215x3, then 225x1? Or should I use the first two sets as more of a heavy warm up like 185x5, 205x3 and then 225x1?

Bad experience related to caffiene:

Woke up tired for a weekend run during the summer when it was 90°F and humid as hell. Took a serving of C4 preworkout thinking it would help.

Bad
F*cking
Idea

Thought I was going to die 4 miles into the wooded trail and I knew I had to turn around. I then had the longest 4-mile run home of my life.
Caffeine isn't super bad during the heat but it would be best in super small doses. Like tiny doses spread throughout the day. In the summer I sip my 150mg all day and stay hydrated with water. Sometimes I don't even finish my morning caffeine.

Also, do you take any Beta Alanine for endurance?

PBY

Banned
Caffeine isn't super bad during the heat but it would be best in super small doses. Like tiny doses spread throughout the day. In the summer I sip my 150mg all day and stay hydrated with water. Sometimes I don't even finish my morning caffeine.

Also, do you take any Beta Alanine for endurance?

Gotta have that beta a for the cracked out feeling.

mkenyon

Banned
The thing is - they do make sugar free energy drinks, you know this right?
It's called Coffee.
I've been drinking a black coffee before my workouts but to be honest I don't really feel that it has an effect for me. Maybe I need stronger coffee. I still do it regardless because I like coffee and it's a nice ritual.

I don't really want to get involved with pre workouts. #nattyandold
Do French/Aero Press or a good Pour Over with twice the recommended amount of grinds.

I think the French Press I make every morning is equivalent to about 4 K Cups. When I stay at a friend's place, all he has are those, and I have to do about 4 of them before I feel like I'm alive.

I've been a Coffee addict since I was about 15 though. Used to take a mug of black to school every AM. Been drinking it since I was about 10, since my dad was in the Coffee business.

Gotta have that beta a for the cracked out feeling.
I like feeling like the melting guy at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark :D

Yep. It's in the C4

Also with the combination of heat, humidity, and already high heart rate from running in those conditions, it was pretty bad adding caffiene to the mix.
True this on the caffeine.

Most pres don't have proper dosing but I use 4-6mg (at once so I feel like I'm inside of an iron maiden) of Beta Al daily. I have noticed decreased fatigue while using it. When it comes to pres they are glorified caffeine pills, IMO. I don't use many supplements but creatine and beta alanine. Widely researched and won't kill you :p

crpav

If you need that much caffeine a day I have to tell you it's time for a stim break. That's way too much, and to each their own aside, IT'S TOO MUCH. Take a break. Also get rid of the sugar as well. It will come back to hurt you later in life. I now have ulcerative colitis and other health issues along with other energy related issues probably from heavy stim use from years back.

Wulfric

Unbelievable; I'm stalling at 120 lbs again on bench press. That's the exact weight I deloaded on back in December. -__-

Am I the only one here that doesn't really drink coffee? The only time I ever have any sort of caffeine is when I'm pulling in a long study session before an exam and even then, I feel terrible when I have it.

theytookourjobz

It's called Coffee.

Do French/Aero Press or a good Pour Over with twice the recommended amount of grinds.

I think the French Press I make every morning is equivalent to about 4 K Cups. When I stay at a friend's place, all he has are those, and I have to do about 4 of them before I feel like I'm alive.

I've been a Coffee addict since I was about 15 though. Used to take a mug of black to school every AM. Been drinking it since I was about 10, since my dad was in the Coffee business.

I love coffee. Best preworkout out there (paired with a scoop of c4 to the dome).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom