• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one then: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

(Edit - Ironically also considered a hamstring exercise.)
Dude rolls his lower back in that moving picture. Its most definitely a ham exercise when that is the only thing you engage unlike that clip.

I do straight leg Romanians from time to time but its almost impossible to go down that far hinging at the hip - best case is past the knees when your hams get strung tight. You pull yourself back up with your legs by "swinging" down with your legs and driving with the hip. Absolutely slays my hams the next day. I prefer these to bending at the knees as that creates slack in the hams and causes more back engagement. Never had an issue with these yet.

Its very very very easy to mess these up and injure your back. Seen a few folk fuck their shit up because they don't understand how to hinge at the hip and only the hip. Good exercise for hams, though, IMO.

SeanR1221

Who's (probably) getting snowed in this weekend?

Moving deadlifts to Friday to avoid missing them on Saturday.

Saturday I'll get a fun shovel workout

Its very very very easy to mess these up and injure your back. Seen a few folk fuck their shit up because they don't understand how to hinge at the hip and only the hip. Good exercise for hams, though, IMO.

I only do Romanian, but I've never really been able to get the form to be 100%. I can do high reps at lowish weight and I feel it quite well in my hamstrings, but as soon as I up the weight I stop feeling the tension (I assume because my form goes). Frustrating.

mkenyon

Banned
You can deadlift snow

You just have to believe.
uKNti8L.jpg

I only do Romanian, but I've never really been able to get the form to be 100%. I can do high reps at lowish weight and I feel it quite well in my hamstrings, but as soon as I up the weight I stop feeling the tension (I assume because my form goes). Frustrating.
Hmmm. They took me a while to get comfy with heavier weights, tbh. An issue with heaver weights that you must "hang" is probably a slight lurch in the shoulders. Keeping your upper body pin straight and shoulders from rolling is key to not letting the rest of your body go out of whack.

Could also be head/neck position. In martial arts one of the first grappling tips I learned was: "where the head goes, the body follows". This is true for a lot of things when it comes to form and something many people overlook when all else is neutral everyone has a habit to keep the neck non-neutral. Either too tucked or too up. Same with eyes.

Not that I'm trying to overcomplicate the movement but something innocuous like head/neck position or eye focus can throw the whole thing off.

I was going to mock one up when I read his post. Brother from another mother! We are best friends now!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I like to get stronger, so I do them standing. If I ever feel like not getting stronger, I'll switch to seated.

There are literally zero ways doing them seated is better than doing them standing. Unless you count being able to put a few extra lbs on the bar as something, which you shouldn't.

I feel like the same people that do seated OHP see it as an accessory to the all important bench. These folks typically do quarter squats with three plates once a week too. And curls are their second most important compound lift after BP.

I can't tell if these are jokes or not.

I can't either...

Kendall does his shoulder presses seated, 500+.

Savickas does his OHP in the smith machine and has commented on how much it helps his world record log lift.

Teggy

I'm trying to figure out if the reason she loses it is because he's fondling her boobs. Just so much wrong going on there. I also wonder how these things wind up on the Internet.

despire

It's not a joke. "Do you do seated OHP or standing OHP" is like asking if you do OHP or do push presses.

When I said I do it standing because I want to get stronger, it's not because seated doesn't work muscles. It just doesn't work as many muscles as it could, and on top of that, the deltoids and triceps and biceps work harder in a standing OHP. So why do it seated? You get stronger doing them standing. The only possible reason I could think of is because you've got an injury somewhere below your sternum and sitting means you won't aggravate it.

Bottom line is that the answer to seated or standing OHP is omg why are you asking this question.

Both are fine.

Standing involves more total body muscle mass so it is a "better" total body exercise.

Seated on the other hand usually allows for more weight to be used which causes more tension on your shoulders. More weight = more tension = more growth. So you could kinda argue that seated is a better shoulder exercise.

Both have their pros and cons. I prefer to do both, rotating between them but to it's just me.

Also how is standing supposed to work deltoids more? Is there some EMG study proving this? Just curious.

Edit:

At least here they found that seated pressing hits the deltoids more than standing, albeit the difference isn't huge:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-shoulders-and-trap-exercises

Wulfric

So, ya'll about that seated OHP or standing OHP?

Standing. I've seen older women doing them with a trainer sitting down, but I get the feeling you're working much less muscles that way.

He dropped that thing right? I don't see how he could drop the weight to the ground without breaking something.

I volunteer to be a guinea pig! I'm not too picky about these bars... got cookie dough and ice cream flavor.

entremet

For hardgainers, I was listening to a podcast where a trainer was helping his brother in law to gain mass.

His brother in law was a classic skinny dude who could never gain mass. He tried for years. He basically doubled his calories--from 3000 to 6000.

He finally started packing on the muscle.

Sometimes you just need to overeat like crazy if you've been dealt that hand and want to put on muscle. None of this 500 calories over maintenance nonsense you see in fitness magazines or preached by broscientists.

Thought I would share for the guys who are having trouble gaining mass, a common problem it seems.

despire

He dropped that thing right? I don't see how he could drop the weight to the ground without breaking something.

That's how they sometimes used to press in competition because it's essentially a bench press at that point, allowing for more load.

This also made it impossible to judge and it was banned from olympic weightlifting in '72. One of the reasons why it's such a rare sight to see someone press heavy with a barbell.

Question... when people say gaining mass, they really mean gaining weight right?

Because if it's the latter, where's the confusion? If you're not putting on weight, you eat more. Not gaining weight at 3,000? Eat 3,500. Not gaining weight at 3,500? Eat 4,000. Forget the completely inaccurate calculations.

Not rocket surgery.

It's because there is a difference between being able to eat a lot of food, and being able to eat a lot of food in one sitting.

A lot of people think that because they occasionally do the latter, that means they're also doing the former as well.

Also, a lot of people get stuck in the healthy vs. non-healthy trap, and end up trying to bulk using foods that are extremely low in calories.

Who's (probably) getting snowed in this weekend?

Moving deadlifts to Friday to avoid missing them on Saturday.

Saturday I'll get a fun shovel workout

Bro same. I have everything I need to make some boozy egg nog. Its going to be a good time. Hopefully I don't shovel my neighbors house on accident like last year.

All that titty support and she still couldn't get below parallel.

lol

the force was too strong with him

also speaking of squats

5 bros at the squat and power rack.
2 of the 5 bros went parallel. the other 3 were 1/2 - 3/4 squatting. the power rack bar rack was a notch too high for them. so basically they were unracking and reracking on their tip toe.

that happened yesterday. but thumbs up for the bros doing legs and not arms every day.

why didn't i say anything. i was doing DL in the corner and was trying not to spit on them by accident (disgust)

SeanR1221

Bro same. I have everything I need to make some boozy egg nog. Its going to be a good time. Hopefully I don't shovel my neighbors house on accident like last year.

Lol I have a couple bottles of wine and the wife doesn't work so I'm ready. Not looking forward to Friday deadlifts though. I usually do them fresh and relaxed on Saturday. Not tired after my longest day of work. But sometimes you just have to shut up and lift.

Fox318

They're doing it wrong- but don't be that guy.
No one wants unsolicited gym advice.

Thats why I purposely give bad gym advice.

For example I told somebody recently that proper bench technique requires the use of a snapback hat.

Rubbing the bar down with chocolate is in fact better than chalk.

They're doing it wrong- but don't be that guy.
No one wants unsolicited gym advice.

well i was just going to tell them to at least drop the bar rack down a notch (because i was parked like right there next to the area)

just watching them trying to reract one side at time on their tip toe which probably would mean a plate dropping from each side at a time lol. but they only did 2 plates each side max so i just let them be

i wasn't going to say anything anyways. except only stare at them. i'm one of those guys

Lol I have a couple bottles of wine and the wife doesn't work so I'm ready. Not looking forward to Friday deadlifts though. I usually do them fresh and relaxed on Saturday. Not tired after my longest day of work. But sometimes you just have to shut up and lift.

That is a winning combination bro. I used to do Deads as the finisher of my week but strangely enough and I think this could be some placebo logic. I find that doing them first thing in the week makes my other compound lift's stronger.

It's cause the thing actually kinda looks like a landmine.

Yeah I get it, I'm just saying that lift has been around for ages and it was always known as a T-Bar Row. I just don't know why its being re-named as if its some brand new exercise.

Anybody experienced with the PHUL workout?

I'm currently doing the ICF 5x5 routine and my lifts aren't bad (nothing terrific but decent) so I'm thinking about changing my routine.

Currently (5x5 on all exercises but deadlifts, which are 1x5):

Squats: 120kg / 265lbs
Bench press: 87.5kg / 193lbs
Barbell rows: 80kg / 176lbs
Deadlifts: 140kg / 309lbs
Standing press: 60kg / 132lbs

The squats in particular make me feel sore for days so I would assume that the weights are getting to a point where 48h of rest might be too little for me. The routine is insanely taxing at the moment and I see little progress. It has served me incredibly well in getting stronger and I've run it for like 3 or 4 months now and PHUL appears to be a decent successor.

PBY

Banned
Deadlift day is my rest day.

Seriously. I don't wanna go up in weight, so its really easy. I like forcing myself to do something weight related, bc it gets me in the gym. So i just breeze through 3 sets, then hit the treadmill.

Deadlift day is my rest day.

Seriously. I don't wanna go up in weight, so its really easy. I like forcing myself to do something weight related, bc it gets me in the gym. So i just breeze through 3 sets, then hit the treadmill.

You hit the treadmill after Deads? I would be so tight cardio would be a nightmare unless I really stretched out.

PBY

Banned
You hit the treadmill after Deads? I would be so tight cardio would be a nightmare unless I really stretched out.

So deads are really easy for me, since I don't push myself - I don't wanna explode my thighs like when I was REALLY pushing weight. Just found a maintenance weight and just do that, never feel sore/tight.

edit: Totally understand how that sounds super bro sciencey, I dunno it works for me.

Landmine rows are definitely a new one for me. Always been T-Bar.

I don't know about landmine rows, but landmines as a bit of equipment are a fair bit more versatile than a t-bar setup because of rotation. Some excellent shoulder and core exercises you can do.

(There may be T-Bar setups that allow this sort of freedom too I guess, but I've never seen one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom