• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

I'm take solid Anejo tequila any day. You can keep your Cuervo, Patron, Sauza, and the rest of those sub par products that are 90% marketing. Hold the lime. Hold the salt.

Chinaco, Don Julio, and Herradura are just a few of my guilty sipping pleasures. Always neat.

I'm a rum man. Never really did get into whiskeys etc.

Rum and beer. Usually real ales or craft beers, and I'm fortunate enough to have tried literally hundreds.

goober

Has wulfric posted his form video yet? I kind of have the same measurements as him but he's got me beat on squats by a lot.

I failed at 175 today. I still have the pain on my leg adductors (abductors?).

XJXyYnD.png

I tried the stretches and stuff so its a little better. I feel its more soreness than the shooting burning pain I felt before.

bchamba

Has wulfric posted his form video yet? I kind of have the same measurements as him but he's got me beat on squats by a lot.

I failed at 175 today. I still have the pain on my leg adductors (abductors?).

XJXyYnD.png

I tried the stretches and stuff so its a little better. I feel its more soreness than the shooting burning pain I felt before.

That looks like a groin injury. I had pain there when I started adding more squat volume to my programming. I had it for a while and it only went away when I let myself break at the knees a little more on squats instead of only focusing on sitting back.

Teggy

Holy shit I just had a Red Velvet Oreo.

I normally don't eat sweets but GODDAMN!

Going in for a second right now!

Do I need to pick some of these up for tomorrow? Nonono I've got enough. There are a ridiculous number of Oreo varieties now though and I have tried precious few of them.

_Isaac

So squats hurt a lot. I get pain on the left side of my groin/hip area when I get anywhere close to parallel. This has been a persistent problem. I've tried most things other than a trainer. I was thinking of just giving up on squats and maybe replacing it with other lifts/exercises that might not hurt my hip. Any suggestions?

BumRush

:(

Just a second piece. Until I get a pump I fit all my carbs into 6 meals and snacks. I don't feel like stabbing myself more than that daily XD

Great point!

So squats hurt a lot. I get pain on the left side of my groin/hip area when I get anywhere close to parallel. This has been a persistent problem. I've tried most things other than a trainer. I was thinking of just giving up on squats and maybe replacing it with other lifts/exercises that might not hurt my hip. Any suggestions?

Would you be willing to post a form check video?

Teggy

When I had pain in my hips I started doing these before workouts until it went away:

However I don't know if we're talking about the same amount of pain.

mdsfx

Apparently my body is not used to eating right before bed anymore. Woke up 2 hours later to throw up. Super. This should make my run today interesting :[

GrapeApes

You guys with home gyms are lucky. I'm over here trying to decide how safe it is to go to the gym. This storm is giving me an unwanted deload week.

_Isaac

Great point!

Would you be willing to post a form check video?

I have done that in these threads several times and I think I was good for the most part. I could try it again though since it's been a while.

When I had pain in my hips I started doing these before workouts until it went away:

However I don't know if we're talking about the same amount of pain.

Oh that looks a lot like the couch stretch that I used to do. It used to hurt a lot, and I've picked it up again. We'll see how it goes.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Trekked through the snow and got my bench workout in:

Bench Press - 140lbs 1x5, 160x5, 180x6
Incline DB Bench paused - 45s 3x10
Bent over rows DB - 75s 3x10

F*cker lol. I'm just far enough away in Chicago that it hasn't affected us. Trails were a little icy with some snow, but the roads are clear.
South side here hasn't had anything, either. A gorgeous 33 degrees right now. Toss the coat and equip the hoodie to lower encumberence. Not car driving weather but its coming!

SeanR1221

Ventured out to the gym. It was weird af out there. Tons of turn lanes covered in snow, snow walls everywhere, black ice and snowy side roads. Should be a fun month.

ILoveBish

Back on my own bed finally. Literally just wired up the internet, and got to bed, it's nearly 230am here. Ate extremely badly this weekend, but I really needed to get it out of my system. This whole week is going to be a lot of cooking, getting back to my usual routine, and getting very strict again.

My girl and I decided to do a very small wedding, I'm hoping for a 70-80 person range, but likely going to be 120+. We'll see. The sooner we get this crap over with, the sooner we'll be married and on our own. Once house prices fall, we're going to buy a house and it will be home gym time. Excited for that.

March 1st marks 4 years of working out. Unreal how fast everything has gone. I went to Costco and got another 2 year 24 hour fitness pass. I'll return it when I get my own setup.

despire

Back on my own bed finally. Literally just wired up the internet, and got to bed, it's nearly 230am here. Ate extremely badly this weekend, but I really needed to get it out of my system. This whole week is going to be a lot of cooking, getting back to my usual routine, and getting very strict again.

My girl and I decided to do a very small wedding, I'm hoping for a 70-80 person range, but likely going to be 120+. We'll see. The sooner we get this crap over with, the sooner we'll be married and on our own. Once house prices fall, we're going to buy a house and it will be home gym time. Excited for that.

March 1st marks 4 years of working out. Unreal how fast everything has gone. I went to Costco and got another 2 year 24 hour fitness pass. I'll return it when I get my own setup.

That's not a very small wedding lol

Another 12 hours of lifting shit in and out of vans yesterday. Can barely move today and I normally don't get DOMS unless I have a full on leg day or something.

Still not finished either.

Related, how on earth do people work out their calories in such days? I thought I ate loads, but still lost weight, which seems like a waste of all that lifting.

That's not a very small wedding lol

Ha, no, it really isn't. I had about 30 people at mine, and I've seen far smaller.

I'm guessing he means small by the standards of his peeps.

BumRush

Sooooo, you're telling me there's a chance??

mdsfx

Holy shit. Squats at 230x8 on my amrap set today. Estimated 1RM = 292. I never thought I would inch my way this close to 300.
Yaaaassssss!

OK so i've got a quick question about losing weight.
Anyway im not fat but ive got a little bit of a belly which id like to lose. so my question is can i exercise to target and lose weight in this area, or will i lose weight all over not matter what exercise i do?.....If you know what i mean :p

PBY

Banned
OK so i've got a quick question about losing weight.
Anyway im not fat but ive got a little bit of a belly which id like to lose. so my question is can i exercise to target and lose weight in this area, or will i lose weight all over not matter what exercise i do?.....If you know what i mean :p

You can't target belly fat. Diet x exercise.

PBY

Banned
But is that any type of exercise?

Im currently doing 15 mins cardio + 40 mins weights 3 times a week?

Yeah, its any type of exercise. Of course, how much belly fat (and fat overall) you shed depends on what kind of cardio, what kind of weight program and what kind of diet you're running with.

I do about 10 hours of cardio a week... and I can say, hand on heart that weight training (especially compound stuff) makes a much, much, much bigger difference to my physique.

Though I'm coming from the perspective of being a skinny fat guy... if you're a big fat guy I imagine it's a different kettle of fish.

a guy at the gym told me i should superset pullups between deadlifts but he made sure to throw in my deadlift form was really good. if only he knew i'm a lazy bastard and i'm on to his game. him and his girl was ass level to me when i was doing it and i'm pretty sure he was telling her to look at me. #awkward

i also made a gym buddy after a year and he needs help to building his legs up.

owlbeak

Hey Fitness GAF, so I work out regularly, but I just got a barbell (15lb 5', 1" bar) + ~140lbs of plate weights for deadlifts, which is something I've been trying to incorporate into my workouts but never got around to it. I'm a small dude, 5'6", 140lbs, but in good shape, just trying to burn off the last bit of belly fat I have and get some definition. I'm pretty strong, but not sure where to start with deadlifts. Is there a weight I should start with and what number of sets/reps is a good place to start? And how often? :|

Thanks!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Hey Fitness GAF, so I work out regularly, but I just got a barbell (15lb 5', 1" bar) + ~140lbs of plate weights for deadlifts, which is something I've been trying to incorporate into my workouts but never got around to it. I'm a small dude, 5'6", 140lbs, but in good shape, just trying to burn off the last bit of belly fat I have and get some definition. I'm pretty strong, but not sure where to start with deadlifts. Is there a weight I should start with and what number of sets/reps is a good place to start? And how often? :|

Thanks!

Put a 25lbs plate on both sides of the barbell and try to deadlift. Easy? if so, add weight in 5 lbs increments.

I never deadlift more than 5 reps per set. Reason being loss of form. Form is important to me.

Height: 5'8-9

Weight: 195

Goal:170

Current Training Schedule: mon-sat - MWF - Lifting - TRS - Cardio + abs

Current Training Equipment Available: Gym membership (not sure if that helps)

Comments:
Been going to the gym regularly for sometime now, but recently started trying to tone more and get in better shape. I want to lose weight but can't seem to shed any pounds. Open to any suggestions to try and keep in mind while training. I've started using my fitness pal and aiming for 1,500 calorie intake. Not sure how ideal this is.

I've looked into a few work out regimens but don't mind looking into something else. I have trouble with lower back exercises, so generally stay away from extended time on a treadmill, back extensions, and deadlifts.

Teggy

a guy at the gym told me i should superset pullups between deadlifts but he made sure to throw in my deadlift form was really good. if only he knew i'm a lazy bastard and i'm on to his game. him and his girl was ass level to me when i was doing it and i'm pretty sure he was telling her to look at me. #awkward

"Dear Penthouse..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom