• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

I'm going to buy some weights for home. I don't have enough space for a home gym, just wanted a few free weights. Are those adjustable weight dumbells good, or is it better/cheaper to buy individual weights.

BumRush

Height: 5'8-9

Weight: 195

Goal:170

Current Training Schedule: mon-sat - MWF - Lifting - TRS - Cardio + abs

Current Training Equipment Available: Gym membership (not sure if that helps)

Comments:
Been going to the gym regularly for sometime now, but recently started trying to tone more and get in better shape. I want to lose weight but can't seem to shed any pounds. Open to any suggestions to try and keep in mind while training. I've started using my fitness pal and aiming for 1,500 calorie intake. Not sure how ideal this is.

I've looked into a few work out regimens but don't mind looking into something else. I have trouble with lower back exercises, so generally stay away from extended time on a treadmill, back extensions, and deadlifts.

Thanks for posting all of the above.

You're taking all of the right steps, just need to hone each a bit.

1,500 calories is light, but you'll definitely see results with it. Diet is the biggest part of this whole thing, so do that for 2 weeks and see how you feel (losing weight? energy levels? etc.)

Regarding cardio, what are you doing currently? Static state cardio really doesn't have as much of a benefit as you'd think. I'd suggest HIIT but it may put more pressure on your back than you want. Sprints are amazing if you can handle them.

As for lifting, why don't you get your diet and cardio in order and then come back in 2-3 weeks and work on it. 3 things at once is a lot.

I'm going to buy some weights for home. I don't have enough space for a home gym, just wanted a few free weights. Are those adjustable weight dumbells good, or is it better/cheaper to buy individual weights.

They're great...although they aren't cheap. A good set of them will cost you.

Teggy

I have a set of Selecttech dumbbells that I used before I had a gym membership and I like them a lot. They save a ton of room. The only downsides would be cost and you have to treat them with care when putting them back. I never had any issues with them breaking, but people who aren't careful reseating them will break them.

Thanks for posting all of the above.

You're taking all of the right steps, just need to hone each a bit.

1,500 calories is light, but you'll definitely see results with it. Diet is the biggest part of this whole thing, so do that for 2 weeks and see how you feel (losing weight? energy levels? etc.)

Regarding cardio, what are you doing currently? Static state cardio really doesn't have as much of a benefit as you'd think. I'd suggest HIIT but it may put more pressure on your back than you want. Sprints are amazing if you can handle them.

Hmm interesting. I did insanity a few years back and it was great only problem was finding an area in the home to work at it. Anything you can suggest? I go to the gym but the free space area is usually occupied by middle aged lady classes and zumba.

As for lifting, why don't you get your diet and cardio in order and then come back in 2-3 weeks and work on it. 3 things at once is a lot.

I never really thought of it as doing 3 different things but more so going to the gym everyday and then eating right. I know that you should take days to rest so TRS I've been doing around 30mins on the elliptical and some ab exercises (mainly planks and variations of crunches)

There it is, folks! Last doc I had to see to get a nod for my pump. Now all I have to do is choose which pump I want, schedule my class and I'm good to go! I should be on it by the end of next month wooooooooo! This will take me from 2000ish needles per year down to about 120. Here's hoping tomorrow's biopsy on my tumor carries through the same good news!

mkenyon

Banned
Whiskey/scotch/cab/ipa.

I could drink Jameson on the rocks all day.
The wine, no thx, but otherwise this is me.

You should checkout Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey and Red Breast. The former is IPA ingredients but with distiller's yeast instead of brewer's yeast, and the most interesting Whiskey I've ever had. The second is Jameson: Improved.

BumRush

Hmm interesting. I did insanity a few years back and it was great only problem was finding an area in the home to work at it. Anything you can suggest? I go to the gym but the free space area is usually occupied by middle aged lady classes and zumba.

I never really thought of it as doing 3 different things but more so going to the gym everyday and then eating right. I know that you should take days to rest so TRS I've been doing around 30mins on the elliptical and some ab exercises (mainly planks and variations of crunches)

Well, Insanity and those programs aren't what I meant by HIIT. HIIT is when you alternate between sprinting / jogging (or walking) or really high intensity cardio followed by a rest followed by high intensity and so on. It stands for high intensity interval training.

If you can use the treadmill for 15 minutes, I'd suggest alternating 1 minute of sprinting with 1 minute of jogging (repeat until 15 minutes is up). You'll see how much more of a workout it is than static 30 minutes on the elliptical.

If you really want to get serious about lifting, the OP has some excellent material around programs such as Starting Strength, 531, etc. which are very beginner friendly. I'd suggest SS but it does have you squatting and deadlfting a lot - which you've said you cannot do. Take a look at the programs and we could always help you make adjustments to avoid extra back strain.

There it is, folks! Last doc I had to see to get a nod for my pump. Now all I have to do is choose which pump I want, schedule my class and I'm good to go! I should be on it by the end of next month wooooooooo! This will take me from 2000ish needles per year down to about 120. Here's hoping tomorrow's biopsy on my tumor carries through the same good news!

Congrats man! That's excellent news

The wine, no thx, but otherwise this is me.

You should checkout Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey and Red Breast. The former is IPA ingredients but with distiller's yeast instead of brewer's yeast, and the most interesting Whiskey I've ever had. The second is Jameson: Improved.

I've had both! My uncle always says "A black bush (bushmill's black) is better than a red breast" but I'm not sure I agree!

Well, Insanity and those programs aren't what I meant by HIIT. HIIT is when you alternate between sprinting / jogging (or walking) or really high intensity cardio followed by a rest followed by high intensity and so on. It stands for high intensity interval training.

I only mentioned it because they constantly reference it as being High intensity interval training. :Shrug:

If you can use the treadmill for 15 minutes, I'd suggest alternating 1 minute of sprinting with 1 minute of jogging (repeat until 15 minutes is up). You'll see how much more of a workout it is than static 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. 15mins shouldn't be too bad, and even if I need to cut the time down to 10 mins it seems like it should prove better than what i've been doing.

If you really want to get serious about lifting, the OP has some excellent material around programs such as Starting Strength, 531, etc. which are very beginner friendly. I'd suggest SS but it does have you squatting and deadlfting a lot - which you've said you cannot do. Take a look at the programs and we could always help you make adjustments to avoid extra back strain.
!

Perfect, really appreciate the pointers.

BumRush

I only mentioned it because they constantly reference it as being High intensity interval training. :Shrug:

While very high intensity, I wouldnt recommend doing a program like insanity and a program like SS at the same time.

Give the HIIT on the treadmill a try and let me know how it goes. Do it for 2 weeks with the new diet before forming a complete opinion!! We're hear to answer any questions.

What a bad ass weekend.
Snowed in and trapped with nothing but baked goods and Battlefront at your disposal = heaven.

Dude, I enjoy battlefront but I'm sooooooo bad at it!

While very high intensity, I wouldnt recommend doing a program like insanity and a program like SS at the same time.

Give the HIIT on the treadmill a try and let me know how it goes. Do it for 2 weeks with the new diet before forming a complete opinion!! We're hear to answer any questions.

Dude, I enjoy battlefront but I'm sooooooo bad at it!

You know whats amazing to me about BF is for how basic some of the designed gameplay systems are the combat is actually really difficult to be great at. Its taken me a long time to feel even adequate at the game.

Bubaer

Hey guys, I wanted to use this year to finally learn to do a split. Unfortunately all I can find on the net are some pseudo-scientific instructions or martial arts traditions where I'm not sure wether they really are the most effective way to go.

Anyone have some personal experience they could share?

Hey guys, I wanted to use this year to finally learn to do a split. Unfortunately all I can find on the net are some pseudo-scientific instructions or martial arts traditions where I'm not sure wether they really are the most effective way to go.

Anyone have some personal experience they could share?
Split as in full side split or front/back split?

You use a tornado.
Ohhh, that makes total sense now. Nature's vacuum cleaner!

I've had both! My uncle always says "A black bush (bushmill's black) is better than a red breast" but I'm not sure I agree!
Do you have any recommendations for someone wanting to get into whiskey? That's my issue with liquor in general, I never know where to get started. Though I like the taste of cheaper whiskeys I've had. Can't remember the names though, lol.

ILoveBish

I'm not sure if I'm hitting the gym today, I should to burn off some carbs from the weekend, but my body is still rekt from moving. We'll see.

That's not a very small wedding lol

Ha, no, it really isn't. I had about 30 people at mine, and I've seen far smaller.

I'm guessing he means small by the standards of his peeps.

The average Armenian wedding here in California has 300-400+ people. So my plans count as very small on comparison.

Sooooo, you're telling me there's a chance??

If you get a pm from me, you might have been chosen.....

Exis

After taking two days off due to snow my lifts sucked today, though I am somewhat mentally considering snow shoveling for three hours yesterday a workout.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you have any recommendations for someone wanting to get into whiskey? That's my issue with liquor in general, I never know where to get started. Though I like the taste of cheaper whiskeys I've had. Can't remember the names though, lol.
I'm no expert, but here's some of my favs under $150.

US Whiskey
Rogue Dead Guy
Rogue Single Malt
Whipper Snapper

Irish
Knappogue
Red Breast
Bushmills 10 Year

Bourbon
Bulleit
Booker's Single Barrel

Scotch
Glenmorangie
Balvenie

Japanese
Yamazaki Single Malt

Only other advice I'd give is just to put a teeny sprinkle of filtered water in it. No ice.

I don't really go for the Islay Scotch (known for being super smokey), and generally prefer Irish over Scotch.

sphinx

the piano man
Preferably both.

stretch every 2 or 3 days, extensively, that's all there is to it, always aiming for more extension. put your leg on a high bar and proceed to stretch: forwards, backwards, sideways, etc.

by the way, we all have a "front leg" and a "back leg" meaning, everyone has one leg that gets forwad easier, in my case is the left one.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
No rest days for these genetics. My daughter who turned 13 Thursday just deadlifted 115x5 with good form. Up up and away!

Preferably both.
Sphinx has it - just begin stretching a few days per week. Without going into detail you can find lots of different leg stretches pertaining to martial arts to help. Took me a few years before I was readily able to just fall right into them without a fight.

No rest days for these genetics. My daughter who turned 13 Thursday just deadlifted 115x5 with good form. Up up and away!
Guaranteed stronger than all of us in 3 years. Kickass to see fam getting in on the action, man! Its really great she has interest.

BumRush

To be honest, I'd first just get Jameson (which is not Scotch, but Irish whiskey) and drink it with a lot of ice. Whiskey is an acquired taste that will be lost if you go drop $100+ on a bottle. Then I'd move to Scotch and try a cheap bottle of glenmorangie 10 year since its inexpensive (for Scotch) and goes down easy (a lot of places will recommend this as the best intro Scotch). No ice. Get yourself used to that and then try a more expensive scotch, such as macallan 18 (reasonably priced and very very smooth). The taste will blow you away.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/85/c3/d7/85c3d767e10062d773f5828193a335be.jpg

That's a wonderful chart about Scotch that helps me every time I want to try a new bottle. Rich scotches have a heavier or creamier taste / finish, whereas smokiness refers to the earthy taste. I prefer my Scotch to lean toward rich with little smoke so the bottom right quadrant is for me.

Um...thats awesome.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Guaranteed stronger than all of us in 3 years. Kickass to see fam getting in on the action, man! Its really great she has interest.
Haha. Yeah, not quite but this isn't a competition. I'm just thrilled she's active and so coachable. Also glad to hear about your situation improving. That's huge man!

GatorBait

Completely wrenched me back on squats yesterday morning. Uggghhhh. :( I've been limping around the past two days, Icy Hot patch on my lower back, and popping ibuprofen. Sucks so bad because I was getting into a real consistent groove with the 5x5 program.

My best guess on the cause of injury was partly overextending myself - I had been doing StrongLifts basically every other day without having done back squats or deadlifts in my life beforehand, and my back felt slightly sore over the weekend (but sort of "good sore" rather than painful). I also suspect partly bad form - I think I may have been letting the bar come forward resulting in too steep of an angle with my back.

Definitely discouraged at the moment since this recovery break is going to ruin my consistency. I also happen to be on a business trip this week and it's going to be an uphill battle to not let my diet go to shit without the positive reinforcement of exercising. Hopefully I will at least feel loose enough to get on the elliptical tomorrow night.

After multiple issues and timing constraints, I finally managed to squat 300lbs!! A new PR, feels so good I'm going to treat myself to all you can eat sushi tonight! Hoping to set new PRs in bench and OHP later this week. 2016 off to a good start.

BumRush

After multiple issues and timing constraints, I finally managed to squat 300lbs!! A new PR, feels so good I'm going to treat myself to all you can eat sushi tonight! Hoping to set new PRs in bench and OHP later this week. 2016 off to a good start.

Congrats man! Great accomplishment. Enjoy the sushi!

Orkidea

So I know there are a lot of resources to educate myself but having looked through many I don't know where to start. If one of you guys can please help me out

I'm 6'0 about 200lbs, 25% body fat. My goal is to lose down to about 170lbs and 10% or so BF. I know this will take time and with proper nutrition, looking for advice mainly with what exercises to do.

I don't have access to a gym but I have dumbbells at home that are 12 & 20lbs as well as a pushup bar. I also have a treadmill. What can I do at home with these equipments? I will get access to a gym in around May

despire

Tested my 1RM with chins after my work sets and got BW + 66lbs! A hard but clean rep. I've been doing sets or 4-5 with 45lbs lately.

goober

Did my workout tonight instead of in the morning as I usually do.

Blew through 175 pound squats after failing last workout.

I was "refeeding" yesterday cause I felt out of energy and I was jelly of you guys.
My parents just got back from vacation so I was eating a bunch of baked goods.
Maybe that had to do with it?

sphinx

the piano man
cross-posting from other media, was trying to find the better lighting in my room and after applying filters got this

brazosenero2016_zpsppptn0ez.jpg

Not sure whether my arms are actually bigger than before but it's one of those shots where I thought "mmh...ok" lol

Three days in a row without gaining weight and I've been eating a ridiculous amount. I can only assume I've been burning a ridiculous amount too. Very annoying.

KillerBEA

If you're not failing you're not trying hard enough. ;P
I have failed plenty :p It was the first time I failed during squats though, doing a weight and rep range I had done priorly. I struggled at 175 last week but managed. Was trying to improve or match that, but failed on the final rep.

ekim

Three days in a row without gaining weight and I've been eating a ridiculous amount. I can only assume I've been burning a ridiculous amount too. Very annoying.

4 weeks eating only 1500kcal on non-training days and 2000kcal on training days and I lost maybe 2kg. (all of them in the first 2 weeks) But I visibly lost body fat. So I guess I still gained muscle and lost fat. Win-Win.

i'm trying to get 405lbs on sumo dl. the last time i tried i managed to get near the knee and psyched myself out and ended up dropping it. that was like 2 months ago.

haha. i was at the gym the other day the guy who saw me do it was trying to root me on but the other day he asked if i ever got it up since then.
maybe i'll get some pumped up music lol

Servbot24

Banned
I have failed plenty :p It was the first time I failed during squats though, doing a weight and rep range I had done priorly. I struggled at 175 last week but managed. Was trying to improve or match that, but failed on the final rep.

Out of curiosity is there a standard number of reps per set? I never really pay attention to setting goals as long as I'm wearing myself out... which probably isn't the best

I generally do 135 x10, 215 x10, and then 305 x10, x10, x10. But on that last batch my form is pretty shitty. Only on the 215 do I actually get my butt level with my ankles

4 weeks eating only 1500kcal on non-training days and 2000kcal on training days and I lost maybe 2kg. (all of them in the first 2 weeks) But I visibly lost body fat. So I guess I still gained muscle and lost fat. Win-Win.

I suspect I'm going the other way, really doubt I've been getting enough protein in the last few days.

KillerBEA

Out of curiosity is there a standard number of reps per set? I never really pay attention to setting goals as long as I'm wearing myself out... which probably isn't the best

I generally do 135 x10, 215 x10, and then 305 x10, x10, x10. But on that last batch my form is pretty shitty. Only on the 215 do I actually get my butt level with my ankles

From what my friend tells me 8-15 reps is what the ideal rep range for legs is.

I started at 125, did 8 reps.
135, 8 reps.
155, 5 reps.
175, 2 reps then I failed.

I go to near fatigue. Especially on legs since I love working them extra hard. Since I failed I did not proceed to attempt more barbell squats, I moved onto the rest of my routine. Then did some goblet squats and then bodyweight squats til I struggled to do those.

BumRush

Rep range/scheme is entirely dependant on your goals (e.g. strength, size, etc). There is no ideal range for everyone and every fitness goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom