• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelation

Hey dudes, i am looking for advice on how to cut 5 lbs in approx a weeks time. I need to cut for the weigh ins but... i wanna try a different method other than the usual ones. Any advice is welcome!

BumRush

Hey dudes, i am looking for advice on how to cut 5 lbs in approx a weeks time. I need to cut for the weigh ins but... i wanna try a different method other than the usual ones. Any advice is welcome!

The healthiest way is probably just to eat at a significant caloric deficit, workout 2X per day (with HIIT and other high intensity exercises) and drink a ton of water. Why try a different method?

Fox318

Look up water fasting. You drink a ton then stop. Your body gets used to your urinary cycle then when you stop drinking as much water your body still expells water.

I think your legs look good, FE. They can always be bigger, IMO. You can see the hang of your quad above your knee so that's a plus. Natty tall folk seem to have issues with legs - I do. I'm pretty much your symmetrics at 222 right now so I know how it feels. My legs are my weakest link and I blame my height in all honesty.

-

Unrelated - That feel good moment when the nurse is checking your blood pressure and tells you to relax your arm while she holds it then says "Jesus your arm is heavy".

Weighted dips and spider curls paying off.

Interesting.

They don't look as frail as a lot of folks who skip leg day, but they def don't match your upper body. Not a lot of definition, but that might be the lighting.

I'm not too worried about definition. I don't mind them being meaty looking, I just don't want to look like that dood. Definitely feel like I am lacking in legs which is why I asked.

I think your legs look good, FE. They can always be bigger, IMO. You can see the hang of your quad above your knee so that's a plus. Natty tall folk seem to have issues with legs - I do. I'm pretty much your symmetrics at 222 right now so I know how it feels. My legs are my weakest link and I blame my height in all honesty.

-

Unrelated - That feel good moment when the nurse is checking your blood pressure and tells you to relax your arm while she holds it then says "Jesus your arm is heavy".

Weighted dips and spider curls paying off.

Yeah bro. I'm at 6'3 @ 229 lbs and it is hard for sure. My legs are 27 inches around and it is a pain to put on mass. I've been hitting them twice a week and I just think I need to up the intensity.

Szu

Okay people. I need your opinions. My legs can always be bigger, I know. But how do they look? I don't want to look disproportionate.

http://i.imgur.com/iu7S5YE.jpg

Be honest!

My honest opinion is that you have Hugh Jackman legs.

We know that works his legs, but his proportion makes it look like he skips leg day.

Plus, you're similar in height. The longer body creates the illusion of smaller looking legs. In reality, the still tree trunks.

Yeah bro. I'm at 6'3 @ 229 lbs and it is hard for sure. My legs are 27 inches around and it is a pain to put on mass. I've been hitting them twice a week and I just think I need to up the intensity.
I hear that. I hit mine twice also but they just won't budge much :( Granted, 2nd leg day is slightly lighter than dedicated but I still hit them fairly hard.

I don't think you look like you skip leg day. Most people understand tall folk have issues. They are still tree trunks for your height :D

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Cut should last as long as it needs. The shorter, the better. Few months is optimal if it can be done. Bulks should be as long as possible, as long as you keep within reasonably BF% levels.

Preferably, cut until at around 10% and then bulk until 15% or so.

Your reason for between 10 and 15%? I don't want to lose a bunch of strength getting all the way down the 10%, but it would be fun for the aesthetics.

Estellex

ANyone here do back and biceps on the same day? My biceps gets too tired from doing back.

Do you need to workout biceps if you are working back really hard?

pixelation

The healthiest way is probably just to eat at a significant caloric deficit, workout 2X per day (with HIIT and other high intensity exercises) and drink a ton of water. Why try a different method?
Just because i didn't quite like the way i had to cut weight for my previous fight. Wanna try healthier methods.
Look up water fasting. You drink a ton then stop. Your body gets used to your urinary cycle then when you stop drinking as much water your body still expells water.
Yeah, i read about that. You start with four gallons and keep reducing your water intake until it gets to .5 liters per day or some such. Just don't wanna risk not being fully hydrated come fight night.

despire

Your reason for between 10 and 15%? I don't want to lose a bunch of strength getting all the way down the 10%, but it would be fun for the aesthetics.

It's not my idea. It's what most of the experts recommend. At least Lyle McDonald.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/

Practical Recommendations

Ok, enough theory crap. Based on the above data, here’s what I would generally recommend to bodybuilders or athletes who want to put on muscle mass (i.e. all of them).

If you’re above 15% body fat (about 24-27% for women), diet first. If you can get to the 10-12% (19-24%) body fat range or so, I think you’ll be in an overall better position to gain mass. Trying to get super lean will probably end up screwing you in the long run because your body will be primed to put back fat on (and most other physiological systems are screwed up as well) when you get super lean.

After finishing your diet, regardless of how lean you get, take 2 weeks to eat at roughly maintenance calorie levels before starting your mass gaining phase. The reason has to do with the physiological adaptations to dieting described briefly above. Although you can’t reverse all of them short of getting fat again (or fixing the problem pharmaceutically), 2 weeks at maintenance, which by definition should be higher calories than you were eating on your diet, will help to normalize some of them. Leptin, thyroid, SNS output should improve a bit, along with other hormones, putting you in a better place to gain mass without super excessive fat gain. Make sure to get at least 100 grams of carbs/day or more during this phase so that thyroid will come back up.

Only try to add mass/bulk until you hit the top end body fat percentage listed in #1 above. So that’s about 15% body fat for men and 24-27% body fat for women. What this would mean in practice is that you diet to 10-12% body fat for men (22-24% for women), eat at maintenance for two weeks to try and normalize things, and then add mass until you hit 15% body fat for men (22-24% for women) and then diet back down. Over a number of cycles, you should be able to increase your muscle mass while keeping body fat under control

Read the article for the explanation but it basically comes down to insulin sensitivity and not looking like a lard-ass while bulking.

Matugi

Stalling a bit on my lifts recently. Managed only 1 rep of 390 on DLs but that was after doing working sets so I figure I'm probably around 410 right now. Struggled to get 2x5x255 paused on bench so I'm gonna keep the weight same there, figure I'm in the 310-315 range. Squat actually progressing nicely though, hit a clean double of 320 last week so I figure I'm about 355 or so for a single. I'm hoping to compete at the end of the end of May and would love to go 3/3.5/4.5 but I don't know if I'll be able to get 455 on deads by then

ILoveBish

My wife was doing it with me for about 2 months but then she felt like it was really starting to screw with her hormones in the morning. You guys go through anything like that?

I haven't had issues myself, but it's early days for her. Almost 2 weeks. Not enough time to tell.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Last summer I went on a cut, got down to about 11% bodyfat. It's been 8 months since then and I still don't have all my strength back.

Why do deadlifts always feel awkward as hell? I'm doing something wrong I just know it.

Form check?

Where's Brolic.

It's like your pulling the bar with your back at the beginning of the lift. Instead of keeping it tight and pushing off with your legs.

Also there is no hip drive. Yeah, it looks like your completely using your upper body muscles to lift the bar.

mdsfx

I'm going to drop weight way down after my cardio here and post another video until I get this shit right. I think I need to drop my ass more and arch/lock my back.

BumRush

Why do deadlifts always feel awkward as hell? I'm doing something wrong I just know it.

Form check?

Where's Brolic.

Sean posted a much better response below

ANyone here do back and biceps on the same day? My biceps gets too tired from doing back.

I do...at the end of my back workout. If you're doing rows and pullups already there isn't really a 'need' to do bicep isolation work but I usually throw in a few AMRAP sets of fat gripz barbell curls or DB isolation curls to hit them extra hard. Remember, the biceps are a much smaller muscle group than back, legs, etc. You don't need to lift a ton of weight to engage them.

Faiz

I'm going to drop weight way down after my cardio here and post another video until I get this shit right. I think I need to drop my ass more and arch/lock my back.

I'm no expert but I actually think you are dropping your hips too much already. Instead of getting the bar into place over mid foot and then pulling yourself down into position, it looks like the bar is starting too close to your toes and you squat down to get in position, resulting in your tibia tilting too far forward and your knees getting in the way. Your shins should be more vertical, scapula just past the bar, lock shoulders back with a neutral spine and drag the bar up in a straight vertical path. The awkwardness for you seems to be coming from the bar path, both on the way up and down, having to swing out around your knees.

I had this problem a long time ago too. Eventually I over compensated and ended up doing more of a stiff leg DL. :/

SeanR1221

Mike, you're form is pretty solid but your starting point is probably a bit 'high'. This is causing a lot of weight to be on your arms and upper back vs your legs and lower back. Get a little lower on your next DL day and see if that feels any better.

Brolic can clarify the best but I'm not sure if it's exactly too high, or that's it's just he's pulling up rather than into himself, causing him to use mostly upper body. Sitting back into it, loading the hamstrings more would probably make it easier to pull into himself.

I haven't had issues myself, but it's early days for her. Almost 2 weeks. Not enough time to tell.

Let me know if she starts to feel Off from it. I need to figure out how to counterbalance whatever the fast is making her deficient in.

I never combine muscles that aren't opposing or antagonist groups unless I am just trying to shock them. Doesn't make sense to fatigue a muscle you are going to require for a subsequent lift.

bigsur.jpg

Just signed up for the Big Sur 2016 Marathon. If you have ever thought about doing a marathon this is an incredible one. Just beautiful landscape and its close to Carmel one of the best coastal towns in California.

Last time I avg a 7 min mile but I am going for a low 6 this time. Funny I always get nervous when signing up for any competition even though I am competing with just umm myself.

BumRush

Brolic can clarify the best but I'm not sure if it's exactly too high, or that's it's just he's pulling up rather than into himself, causing him to use mostly upper body. Sitting back into it, loading the hamstrings more would probably make it easier to pull into himself.

You're absolutely right dude.

https://youtu.be/7LrhgWM97Vk

Mike, that's Brolic at the meet (fast forward to 1:00 for DL). His bar path comes into his body allowing the pressure to rest on his legs and lower back. Your bar path is more vertical.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Dammit, weight has stalled for a few weeks at 1800 calories per day. Looks like I'll need to drop down to 1600 :(

mdsfx

Yasssss. I love this thread. Thank you for all of the feedback.

You guys are right on about sitting back more and getting my shins more vertical, thereby simplifying the bar path and better loading my legs rather than my back. Tried it a few times with lighter weight and it just clicked.

Thanks everyone

BumRush

Yasssss. I love this thread. Thank you for all of the feedback.

You guys are right on about sitting back more and getting my shins more vertical, thereby simplifying the bar path and better loading my legs rather than my back. Tried it a few times with lighter weight and it just clicked.

Thanks everyone

This community is so incredible. It's unreal. These guys know soooooo much about the technical aspect of lifting that an hour after posting a form check, it's been complete disected and corrected.

It's like your pulling the bar with your back at the beginning of the lift. Instead of keeping it tight and pushing off with your legs.

Also there is no hip drive. Yeah, it looks like your completely using your upper body muscles to lift the bar.

Also it looks like you're pushing the bar forward with your legs on the way back down, and then you start the next rep with the bar too far forward. Just let it drop and stay out of the way.

mkenyon

Banned
Let me know if she starts to feel Off from it. I need to figure out how to counterbalance whatever the fast is making her deficient in.
http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/a-womans-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

We also stopped IF because my wife was having a terrible time on it. She gets hangry (that's anger from being hungry) super quick.

Some possible ideas in there.
Biopsy came back benign. I get to keep on keeping on!
Amazing news!
Dammit, weight has stalled for a few weeks at 1800 calories per day. Looks like I'll need to drop down to 1600 :(
You could try Cooterizing the weight.

Eat a couple pints of ice cream, some peanut butter, and a large pizza for your after-dinner snack.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
You're absolutely right dude.

https://youtu.be/7LrhgWM97Vk

Mike, that's Brolic at the meet (fast forward to 1:00 for DL). His bar path comes into his body allowing the pressure to rest on his legs and lower back. Your bar path is more vertical.

Wow impressive stuff BumRush. I can't tell if its that camera perspective or the weights being really big but you look like your about 4ft tall

Auctopus

If I'm struggling with a dumbbell exercise, is it better to reduce the weight or the reps/sets?

Edit: My weakness at the top of the page ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom