• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arms lookin huge dude. Nice work!!
Thanks, Bum!

Seriously my cats were like "look at this asshole" every time I ran upstairs XD. The ceilings in my basement are short so I have a pullup bar, rope, etc in the garage for the superset. Good combo for sure! I'd love to just jump straight up. I may put a bar in our utility room which has a higher ceiling. Still prefer the garage tho good height for rope.

BumRush

Thanks, Bum!

Seriously my cats were like "look at this asshole" every time I ran upstairs XD. The ceilings in my basement are short so I have a pullup bar, rope, etc in the garage for the superset. Good combo for sure! I'd love to just jump straight up. I may put a bar in our utility room which has a higher ceiling. Still prefer the garage tho good height for rope.

I'm a huge fan of supersets when it comes to arms and accessories.

Lol, my cat comes in the garage when I'm lifting sometimes. When I do mountain climbers he thinks I'm dying and starts meowing like crazy lol.

Did you do the BB drop set??

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Looking at my logs for 5/3/1.

I started the last week of February last year, so I'm at 11 months on 5/3/1 currently. I had been doing Starting Strength for about 10 months before that. I had been stalling for about a month, and my legs felt like they were turning into rocks.

My first 1s week on 5/3/1 (2/23/2015-2/27/2015):
OHP: 100x4
Squat: 270x3
Bench: 140x3
DL: 300x4

My current 1 rep records, 46 weeks later:
OHP: 165, +65 lbs
Squat: 365, +95 lbs
Bench: 260, +120 lbs
DL: 405, +105 lbs

(For bench, I had a shoulder impingement injury and had just gotten better, so I had been catching back up here, I had been at 205 pre-injury)

My impression of 5/3/1 is that it's slow progress. Are those good gains for 11 months of training? I don't know. Is there something faster? I don't know.

But considering I spent a month deloading trying to break a plateau on Starting Strength when you're supposed to be gaining every time you lift, I probably could have stalled forever on Starting Strength. Instead, I immediately busted through that plateau and steadily gained. 5/3/1 worked when something else didn't.

I'm 43 years old, and I have an hour of gym time. I had never done any strength training in my life until two years ago. I don't know if, at my age and in an hour a day, there's something I could have done to gain faster than 5/3/1. I just know that 11 months later, I'm significantly stronger and am satisfied that I can keep getting stronger month to month.

I'm about where you were a year ago, except I just did 100x10 on DB press. I'll be ecstatic to get your gains this year after switching to 5/3/1 like I have.

I'm a huge fan of supersets when it comes to arms and accessories.

Lol, my cat comes in the garage when I'm lifting sometimes. When I do mountain climbers he thinks I'm dying and starts meowing like crazy lol.

Did you do the BB drop set??
LOLOLOL. My cat Wednesday usually supervises from the chair when I lift and dummy Oliver always looks freaked out when I do anything. He gets so confused. Wednesday's been chilling with me when I lift since she was a kitten. Its either me or the music. Either way I can see her silently judging my form with every rep. I can feel it.

Yup on the drops! Probably one of my fav ways to hit bis. You get down to the bar and start yelling why that thing is so heavy haha!

mdsfx

My only complaint about 531 so far is the lack of work required before accessories. It feels like I'm not doing all that much compared to 5x5. It's like every session is a few warmups leading up to one working set. Feels light.

BumRush

LOLOLOL. My cat Wednesday usually supervises from the chair when I lift and dummy Oliver always looks freaked out when I do anything. He gets so confused. Wednesday's been chilling with me when I lift since she was a kitten. Its either me or the music. Either way I can see her silently judging my form with every rep. I can feel it.

Yup on the drops! Probably one of my fav ways to hit bis. You get down to the bar and start yelling why that thing is so heavy haha!

Haha cats are so strange dude.

Yeah, multi-drop sets are hilarious because of that. When I use the gym (not my home gym) I like to do db shrug rack runs (same concept but with db for shoulders). I usually start at 100 lbs dbs and drop down 20 pounds each drop. 100, 80, 60, 40. I used to laugh thinking that if someone just walked over when I was on the 40 lbs dbs, they'd be so confused why I was huffin' and puffin' and only able to squeeze out like 6 reps. Lol.

mkenyon

Banned
My only complaint about 531 so far is the lack of work required before accessories. It feels like I'm not doing all that much compared to 5x5. It's like every session is a few warmups leading up to one working set. Feels light.
This is my impression too. I haven't even finished my first cycle though.

Haha cats are so strange dude.

Yeah, multi-drop sets are hilarious because of that. When I use the gym (not my home gym) I like to do db shrug rack runs (same concept but with db for shoulders). I usually start at 100 lbs dbs and drop down 20 pounds each drop. 100, 80, 60, 40. I used to laugh thinking that if someone just walked over when I was on the 40 lbs dbs, they'd be so confused why I was huffin' and puffin' and only able to squeeze out like 6 reps. Lol.
Haha yep! "Look at this guy barely shrugging 40!"

mkenyon

Banned
I don't see me sticking with it. Will continue until I find something else. I'd rather not go back to 5x5 for the sake of doing something new.
I get the feeling that perhaps it's a tad too early in the program to really feel like I'm pushing it.

But look at it this way, if it stays feeling the same, like you're not pushing yourself too hard over the next year, perhaps it's doing exactly what it claims?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't see me sticking with it. Will continue until I find something else. I'd rather not go back to 5x5 for the sake of doing something new.

I get the feeling that perhaps it's a tad too early in the program to really feel like I'm pushing it.

But look at it this way, if it stays feeling the same, like you're not pushing yourself too hard over the next year, perhaps it's doing exactly what it claims?

5/3/1 beyond addresses this issue. Also at a certain point it doesn't feel like you're not pushing yourself. I'd argue if you don't feel "pushed" you're not doing it correctly.

If I were you both, I'd at least read beyond. I'd also read other programs to get more knowledge. Even if you don't use th program, it's helpful.

Teggy

I'm 43 years old, and I have an hour of gym time. I had never done any strength training in my life until two years ago. I don't know if, at my age and in an hour a day, there's something I could have done to gain faster than 5/3/1. I just know that 11 months later, I'm significantly stronger and am satisfied that I can keep getting stronger month to month.

Nice, there's actually someone in here
a few months
older than me.

Teggy

BTW, I got my free quest bars today. Cookies and cream was delicious, although I haven't had that flavor recently enough to remember a difference.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You're supposed to bulk in the winter right? Yeah whatever...

BnJdcql.jpg

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Pretty successful workout:

Squats - 190lbs 1x3, 215x3, 250x3 (last rep paused)
Good mornings - 145lbs 2x10, 1x5, 1x2
Front squats - 140lbs 3x10 (PR)

After seeing cooter and md I want my abs back :(

Still feel like I should gain more tho. My original goal was 220, hit that and now its 230. Probably will go up when I hit that mark again. Want to see how long I can ride the gain train before I tire of it. Showing no signs of tiring of it yet so I'm going to keep rolling with it. Been feeling good.

SeanR1221

Dude...you are like Benjamin Button. Truly insane.

#werenotworthy

Not only does cooter look fantastic, but he's figured out that the old NES controller can take pictures now.

Speaking of Benjamin button you know what bothered me? If he was born a little old man, why didn't he die a giant man baby? Instead he was an infant when he died.

BumRush

Not only does cooter look fantastic, but he's figured out that the old NES controller can take pictures now.

Speaking of Benjamin button you know what bothered me? If he was born a little old man, why didn't he die a giant man baby? Instead he was an infant when he died.

Yeah I thought the concept of the movie was tight but the delivery was meh.

Looking great, Mikey!!

Costco has ON Gold Standard Whey on sale for 12 bucks off 90 serving bags. 48 bucks I think. That's 10 bucks cheaper than a 74 serving tub on Amazon, for reference.

I use beyond 5/3/1, but you have to know why you're doing what you're doing. I've done quite a few good programs, but beyond 5/3/1 with some personal changes is a damn good program.

Regular 5/3/1 is okay, but it lacking, beyond makes up for what it lacks.

Gotcha. Im in my fifth mesocycle of 5/3/1 and I quite enjoy it. For accessory lifts I am doing the triumvirate routine and its worked out pretty well so far.

Could you to into more detail about what you think 5/3/1 lacks?

I just ordered the Beyond 5/3/1 Kindle version and will read that asap!

Thanks for your feedback, man. I don't post a lot in this thread but I definitely respect your opinion on anything related to strength training.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gotcha. Im in my fifth mesocycle of 5/3/1 and I quite enjoy it. For accessory lifts I am doing the triumvirate routine and its worked out pretty well so far.

Could you to into more detail about what you think 5/3/1 lacks?

I just ordered the Beyond 5/3/1 Kindle version and will read that asap!

Thanks for your feedback, man. I don't post a lot in this thread but I definitely respect your opinion on anything related to strength training.

Basically it's lacking in extra work (joker sets and first set last). I'm also a big fan of 5 up 3 back in regard to cycles.

Beyond also offers a shit ton of extra templates.

Gamerloid

Anyone has experience with YouFit? One just opened near my house, which is a lot more convenience than my university gym. How was the experience?

3phemeral

Tried making these again and they came out even better. Only difference is I used Banana Creme ON and added soy milk (because I ran out of powdered milk) until the consistency turned into what I liked:

Cooked beautifully, too. Just heated up the pan to medium while blending the ingredients, poured the batter onto the pan, covered with a lid for 40 seconds, flipped and covered for 40 seconds. Repeat with a new cake.

SeanR1221

Tried making these again and they came out even better. Only difference is I used Banana Creme ON and added soy milk (because I ran out of powdered milk) until the consistency turned into what I liked:

Cooked beautifully, too. Just heated up the pan to medium while blending the ingredients, poured the batter onto the pan, covered with a lid for 40 seconds, flipped and covered for 40 seconds. Repeat with a new cake.

If we're talking pancakes...

These are the Kodiak Power Cakes, mixed with banana quest protein, an egg and chopped up banana. They're pretty damn incredible.

Ffi7ypSh.jpg

Its been a while since I've had some pancakes like that. When I'm making my big power breakfast its usually oatmeal, eggs, sausage / pork bacon ( I refuse to believe any other type of bacon exists), toast and peanut butter. I could use a change up for the morning.

Teggy

Oh man, when get off this cut I am definitely going to experiment more with breakfast.

In the meantime, though, Adonis belt is starting to pop. The loss train don't stop. Choo choo! I'm taking all the lossez! ;)

SeanR1221

holy shit

those eggs are perfect

Yeah I love the silky yolk. You have to get it off the pan at the exact right time and cook on low heat.

That would be insane. Do you have the recipe for those?

Super easy :)

1 cup of the Kodiak power cake mix
1 cup water
1 banana (mine was around 120g)
1 scoop quest banana protein
1 egg

I think I doubled up on the above recipe and made super huge pancakes

Top of with 2 over easy eggs and some agave syrup :)

3phemeral

Yeah I love the silky yolk. You have to get it off the pan at the exact right time and cook on low heat.

Super easy :)

1 cup of the Kodiak power cake mix
1 cup water
1 banana (mine was around 120g)
1 scoop quest banana protein
1 egg

I think I doubled up on the above recipe and made super huge pancakes

Top of with 2 over easy eggs and some agave syrup :)
There are two methods you can use to get perfectly good runny-yolk eggs:

Fry method:
  • Have pan fully heated on medium
  • Add butter
  • Add egg direct from fridge
  • Cover and set on med-high for 30-45 seconds
  • Remove from heat and place pan on non-heated surface for a 1/1.5 minutes still covered.
  • Enjoy

Boil method:
  • Boil half inch of water
  • Add as many eggs you want, direct from fridge
  • Continue boiling with a lid on for 6.5 minutes
  • Remove from stove and douse in cold water for 30 seconds
  • Peel and enjoy

Both methods produce a quick, perfectly runny yolk for me. Just depends on what form factor you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom