• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Just hit 300lb 1RM squat with my 5/3/1 AMRAP set. I barely got it, but hit every rep at or below parallel. Pretty fucking stoked.

BumRush

Two weeks without lifting now. Still can't even get into my garage, let alone find space to lift anything in there. Am dragging my turbo trainer into my office so I can use that there, but god knows when I'll be able to lift again.

Could you get a one month pass at a gym until you sort shit out?

Fox318

Two weeks without lifting now. Still can't even get into my garage, let alone find space to lift anything in there. Am dragging my turbo trainer into my office so I can use that there, but god knows when I'll be able to lift again.
Why not try and take a month of yoga classes or something?

Wouldn't be able to get to the gym whilst all that needs to be sorted anyway. Spending every hour just trying to get it organised so I can get on with my life. Stupid world.

BumRush

Wouldn't be able to get to the gym whilst all that needs to be sorted anyway. Spending every hour just trying to get it organised so I can get on with my life. Stupid world.

It happens man. Stay active so you don't lose motivation and look at it as you're giving your muscles a break.

rockyIV-2-450x245.jpg

Good lord a double post! Ah the shame

It happens man. Stay active so you don't lose motivation and look at it as you're giving your muscles a break.

Oddly my tennis elbow is still terrible, but I guess that's because I've still been lifting things in such a way that would mean my grip / forearms wouldn't get a break.

oti

Banned
I wanted to start You are your own gym this month but I couldn't do half of the first exercises this morning. :(

Anyone have an easy to follow bodyweight programm for me?

Teggy

I don't know what I was thinking trying to hold off on my cheat meals for so long. I had a ton of food during NFL playoffs and almost a pint of ben and jerry's and a quarter bag of candy on Saturday night, and I'm losing weight again.

goober

Anyone has experience with YouFit? One just opened near my house, which is a lot more convenience than my university gym. How was the experience?

I'm poor and that place is really cheap (10 dollars a month). The hours are great (24 hours on weekdays, 8-8 weekends). It's a smaller gym though so the it gets packed at peak hours. And there's only one squat rack/power rack.

Check it out yourself, might be different near you. The price can't be beat for me.

Szu

Sorry, man. I don't know if there any more advice to provide that several others have already mentioned.

I wanted to start You are your own gym this month but I couldn't do half of the first exercises this morning. :(

Anyone have an easy to follow bodyweight programm for me?

I don't know what is in that routine - but you can always still do things you "can't" do.

For example: Pullups

If you can't pull yourself up - let your self DOWN slowly until you build up the strength to pull yourself up. Stand on a char, grab the bar, hang, lower yourself.

If you can't do pushups - get on the ground in a pushup position, lower yourself slowly, if you can't push back up, get up normally, get back into position and lower yourself down again.

Dips - same thing.

There's a lot you can do to prep yourself for bodyweight stuff if you have trouble. I don't know any bodyweight routines, personally, that don't involve advanced exercises.

marmoka

Banned
Tomorrow I will starting following a workout program made by a personal trainer. She wants me to go swimming 3 times per week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays). Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays gym only. Saturdays to rest.

This week I will run 15 minutes before working out. After running, during this month, I will train all parts of my body every day:
4x20 Abs
4x20 Squat
4x20 Back
4x20 Pecs
4x20 Hamstrings
4x20 Biceps
4x20 Triceps
4x20 Quads

The second week I will use the elliptical machine instead of the running machine.
Week 3 I will alternate them.
And Week 4 gym and swimming some of the days.

What do you guys think about this?

So, I went to the gym today and used this training program.

The running session at the beginning went fine. She told not to go too fast, and run smoothly. I don't like running, but everything went a lot better than expected, I even enjoyed it.

Nevertheless, while working out the muscles, it didn't go well at all. Even if I decreases the weight I used to lift when training 4x12, and used weights that wouldn't give any trouble, I had problems lifting in the end of the last series. When I finally reached the quads session, my legs were really tired, I even had to decrease the weight a lot when using the leg extension machine.

Right now I don't feel tired above the waist. But below, I'm exhausted. I don't even know if I will be to walk properly tomorrow.

I have to go swimming tomorrow. 800 meters with stops every 200 meters. I have no problems with this because I like swimming. But who knows how will my legs responde.

I will write an email to the trainer who wrote this program for me. I will tell her that 4x20 is too much and I'm overtraining. I will ask her if isn't it better to lower it to 4x12 or 4x10. She'd better justify this training program.

It's good quality protein powder, but you don't particularly need more protein for bulking than for cutting (in fact, the argument sometimes goes the other way).

Ok I was looking for better alternatives to ON serious mass i heard some great reviews from diamatized mass gainer any info is really appreciated

So, today was the day that I was going to get to 3 plates on squat (315lbs), but something was off. I don't know if I was overthinking it or subconsciously afraid of the weight or whatever, but I couldn't will myself to squat the weight. I was so frustrated with myself that I didn't even complete the rest of my workout. I have no idea what's going on, I should be physically capable of lifting the weight, but I couldn't mentally do it. So fucking frustrating. This week, I'm supposed to get PR in OHP and BP in weights that I had struggled to reach in the past, this is going to throw me off.

Back in the gym
basement
today and between sets i notice what appears to be a tiny tumbleweed of fur (i have cats). I'm all like - I'll just pick it up and toss it.

Grab it and begin rolling it between my fingers and its slimy. I'm like WTF? So i take a closer look aaaaaaaaan
spider

why.jpg

Szu

Back in the gym
basement
today and between sets i notice what appears to be a tiny tumbleweed of fur (i have cats). I'm all like - I'll just pick it up and toss it.

Grab it and begin rolling it between my fingers and its slimy. I'm like WTF? So i take a closer look aaaaaaaaan
spider

why.jpg

burnitwithfire.gif

nukeitfromorbit.jpg

BumRush

So, I went to the gym today and used this training program.

The running session at the beginning went fine. She told not to go too fast, and run smoothly. I don't like running, but everything went a lot better than expected, I even enjoyed it.

Nevertheless, while working out the muscles, it didn't go well at all. Even if I decreases the weight I used to lift when training 4x12, and used weights that wouldn't give any trouble, I had problems lifting in the end of the last series. When I finally reached the quads session, my legs were really tired, I even had to decrease the weight a lot when using the leg extension machine.

Right now I don't feel tired above the waist. But below, I'm exhausted. I don't even know if I will be to walk properly tomorrow.

I have to go swimming tomorrow. 800 meters with stops every 200 meters. I have no problems with this because I like swimming. But who knows how will my legs responde.

I will write an email to the trainer who wrote this program for me. I will tell her that 4x20 is too much and I'm overtraining. I will ask her if isn't it better to lower it to 4x12 or 4x10. She'd better justify this training program.

She won't be able to justify it for what you're attempting to accomplish.

Few people commented saying I was going too low on my squats.

It's true, since I started with a one inch ROM I'm squatting 5 plates. Never looking back.

Unrelated, garage attack still continues. I reckon if I get progression tomorrow like I did today then I should be able to lift on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

After a month removed from the gym, I was finally able to return. Put on 10 lbs in the absence, but I'm confident its water weight and it'll cut quickly.

Pyrokai

Hey guys,

Curious question......I am about to start a new fitness regimen focused on building muscle. I was FULLY wanting to do the "Beginner's Workout" from the OP, and then I mentioned it to a friend who is in shape and looks real good (basically, he has results to show for his work). He looked at it and sternly stuck by an insistence that it's too rounded and that I should be focusing on specific muscle groups instead of 3 days a week of compound exercises. Basically: Arm day, leg day, shoulder day, back day, etc. and just hammer those muscle groups on their given days.

I'm incredibly conflicted now. I haven't gotten the Starting Strength book (yet)....but is this something I should be concerned about???

My ultimate end goal is to be muscular and lean. Wouldn't mind looking like a Zac Efron or something. I feel like I can totally do that. I've come very far from when I first started (was once a fat 220 and then a skeleton at 135....now I'm a mostly lean-muscle 165 with a tiny bit of belly fat). This is what I look like now (yes, I'm flexing). Hopefully the link works.

So am I on the right track just going with the Beginner's Workout from the OP? Basically all I'm asking.

ILoveBish

345 on squats super easy today. Had several reps more on me, but I didn't want to push myself this week.

I bought one of each of those b up bars, so far mint and Chip is awful. Do not recommend. I'll see how the others stack up.

He looked at it and sternly stuck by an insistence that it's too rounded and that I should be focusing on specific muscle groups instead of 3 days a week of compound exercises.
For what it's worth (and this is just me talking), I did a bro-split for something like 18 months and never looked like I lifted. 6 months doing compounds and I'm far more muscular than I ever was.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys,

Curious question......I am about to start a new fitness regimen focused on building muscle. I was FULLY wanting to do the "Beginner's Workout" from the OP, and then I mentioned it to a friend who is in shape and looks real good (basically, he has results to show for his work). He looked at it and sternly stuck by an insistence that it's too rounded and that I should be focusing on specific muscle groups instead of 3 days a week of compound exercises. Basically: Arm day, leg day, shoulder day, back day, etc. and just hammer those muscle groups on their given days.

I'm incredibly conflicted now. I haven't gotten the Starting Strength book (yet)....but is this something I should be concerned about???

My ultimate end goal is to be muscular and lean. Wouldn't mind looking like a Zac Efron or something. I feel like I can totally do that. I've come very far from when I first started (was once a fat 220 and then a skeleton at 135....now I'm a mostly lean-muscle 165 with a tiny bit of belly fat). This is what I look like now (yes, I'm flexing). Hopefully the link works.

So am I on the right track just going with the Beginner's Workout from the OP? Basically all I'm asking.
Compound strength training:

SeanR1221

Hey guys,

Of course doing the routine in the OP is the right thing.

It will help you establish a strength base. "Hammering" those groups with a bunch of isolation exercises will just make you spin your wheels.

Think of your compounds as your main course and accessories as your side dishes.

Do you just eat side dishes?

Hey guys,

Tackling one per day is what I do for 6 days. This is a legit routine many people follow.

What matters is what works for YOU. There's nothing wrong with starting something like SS. The main reason a lot of 3 day routines with complex lifts are recommended for beginners is due to: form, core strength in each muscle group they hit.

Despite the look, bench, deads, squats, ohp and the like are complicated lifts. They require a lot of mental focus to do correctly so you can maximize use and not get hurt.

I don't think there is anything wrong with starting a one per day routine, personally, but noob gains are a thing so more compound lifts you can do the greater the muscle and strength gains early on - will help you benefit the accessories and fine tuning programs in the long run.

Ignore spelling and punctuation, on mobile.

Edit: I should have noted that besides my routine being one a day, I started with a beginner's program for the reasons I listed above. That being said I do know folks have have jumped right in no issue. It's a debated topic but there are merits to starting with beginner programs

GatorBait

Anyone here had any luck with intermittent fasting while cutting? I'm thinking of trying it out over the next couple weeks, mainly to make my meal planning/meal prep time shorter. I'd be aiming for about 1500-1600 calories, which I'd split into two meals (lunch and dinner).

mdsfx

I think what's funny about IF is that a lot of people do it without even realizing it. I know many people who eat between 11-7 or 10-6, just out of habit.

I think what's funny about IF is that a lot of people do it without even realizing it. I know many people who eat between 11-7 or 10-6, just out of habit.
Yup.

I can't now, but when my pump comes in this week and i get the hang of ins n outs after a while I'm definitely going to try IF!

GatorBait

This. If you can get to a 20/4 day at 1500-1600 with consistent training the fat will disappear by the day.

Based on my work/exercise schedule, I think I'm going to end up at a 18/6 window of fasting to eating. Lunch at about noon and dinner at about 6 after a 4:30 workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom