• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Shoulder is 100% again, now I just need to rehab my low back and I'll be golden.

Paused bench 285x8
http://youtu.be/zGc957ETnks

Great vid. I see a lot of people on here struggling with bench and this video should be homework for them. What are 2-3 of your cues that you focus on for bench?

Nice. Saving this post so I can step my egg game up.

---

Attempted to pull the slack out of the bar more. Deadlift felt a lot more solid today. Even did the little Brolic reach down move

https://instagram.com/p/BBLY_Rxo6bP/

Great form dude. Your DL is solid!!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Great vid. I see a lot of people on here struggling with bench and this video should be homework for them. What are 2-3 of your cues that you focus on for bench?

Setting up I plant my traps/neck into the bench, take a deep breath, set feet, set ass, unrack, let weight settle, lower controlled don't get loose and bring belly to bar, pause, drive with legs (heels into ground) and arms to lockout.

Nice. Saving this post so I can step my egg game up.

---

Attempted to pull the slack out of the bar more. Deadlift felt a lot more solid today. Even did the little Brolic reach down move

https://instagram.com/p/BBLY_Rxo6bP/

Next time take a front angle.

Also when doing the hand corkscrew thing, keep it in line with your leg/body and yank on the bar with that side as you plant the other hand. I got this from Donnie Thompson btw.

BumRush

Setting up I plant my traps/neck into the bench, take a deep breath, set feet, set ass, unrack, let weight settle, lower controlled don't get loose and bring belly to bar, pause, drive with legs (heels into ground) and arms to lockout

Thanks dude.

Deadlift at 95kg any tips on form etc will be much appreciated!
https://youtu.be/PkNlZQgZfHk

Looks pretty good to me OG. Maybe don't look around though. No need to waste that energy and positioning. Otherwise, very solid.

SeanR1221

Thanks! Trying to get it better. No point in going heavier with jacked up form

Setting up I plant my traps/neck into the bench, take a deep breath, set feet, set ass, unrack, let weight settle, lower controlled don't get loose and bring belly to bar, pause, drive with legs (heels into ground) and arms to lockout.

Next time take a front angle.

Also when doing the hand corkscrew thing, keep it in line with your leg/body and yank on the bar with that side as you plant the other hand. I got this from Donnie Thompson btw.

Great advice. Will do next week :)

Deadlift at 95kg any tips on form etc will be much appreciated!
https://youtu.be/PkNlZQgZfHk
Looks good except for the lockout. It looks like you are leaning too far back at the top. This hinges the weight and puts more pressure on the lower spine since the relation of the weight shifts to your spine. Keep pin straight at the top - shoulders, hips and feet should be in a perfect line - drive through with your hips and butt. Alan Thrall's video goes over exactly this. Other than that it looks good. Maybe a little more time loading the pull before the pull but everyone has a different speed at which they release slack before lifting.

marmoka

Banned
Tomorrow I will starting following a workout program made by a personal trainer. She wants me to go swimming 3 times per week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays). Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays gym only. Saturdays to rest.

This week I will run 15 minutes before working out. After running, during this month, I will train all parts of my body every day:
4x20 Abs
4x20 Squat
4x20 Back
4x20 Pecs
4x20 Hamstrings
4x20 Biceps
4x20 Triceps
4x20 Quads

The second week I will use the elliptical machine instead of the running machine.
Week 3 I will alternate them.
And Week 4 gym and swimming some of the days.

What do you guys think about this?

Fox318

Future tip a five guys cheeseburger already has 2 pattys

Asking for an extra gives you 3 and while tasty blew through my calories for the day

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Great workout today.

Bench Press - 150 lbs 1x3, 170x3, 190x5
Paused DB incline bench - 50s 3x10
Bent over DB row - 80s 3x10

Also started wearing my wrist wraps correctly and had no wrist pain.

AnAnole

Do any of you find some of the other gym members highly distracting? At the 24 hour fitness I go to, there's always a few people that are less self-aware. They'll grab weight off the rack while I'm lifting, talk so loudly that I can easily hear them through my earbuds with the sound all the way up, and just do generally annoying shit like dancing around right next to me while I'm trying to focus on my lift so I don't kill myself. Do more serious gyms have this problem? Am I weird for being bothered by this?

Teggy

Tomorrow I will starting following a workout program made by a personal trainer. She wants me to go swimming 3 times per week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays). Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays gym only. Saturdays to rest.

This week I will run 15 minutes before working out. After running, during this month, I will train all parts of my body every day:
4x20 Abs
4x20 Squat
4x20 Back
4x20 Pecs
4x20 Hamstrings
4x20 Biceps
4x20 Triceps
4x20 Quads

The second week I will use the elliptical machine instead of the running machine.

Most people who frequent here will say that is way too much volume, especially if you are just starting out. If you look in the OP you'll see some programs that people follow. Even the more advanced lifters in here who workout 6 days a week limit which muscles they train each day.

BumRush

4x20 Abs
4x20 Squat
4x20 Back
4x20 Pecs
4x20 Hamstrings
4x20 Biceps
4x20 Triceps
4x20 Quads

This will legit take you 2 hours to accomplish. What are your goals for going to the gym?

Wulfric

Impressive deadlift Sean, your movement looks real fluid. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who puts protein in the power cake mix. They're delicious and don't smell as "chemical" as the 10 lb mix bags from Sam's Club.

I've been AWOL from this thread for a while, but I've got 3 more lifting sessions plus cardio before I leave for basic. Gonna try and make 'em count. :)

Most people who frequent here will say that is way too much volume, especially if you are just starting out. If you look in the OP you'll see some programs that people follow. Even the more advanced lifters in here who workout 6 days a week limit which muscles they train each day.

This will legit take you 2 hours to accomplish. What are your goals for going to the gym?
Cocur on both counts.

marmoka

Banned

Thanks for your comments guys.

The idea is to gain strength and some muscles. I'm not a beginner, I've been in the gym for about 5 years, but without coordination, all by myself following some internet stuff. I feel like I've been stuck the last year, and that's why I asked for help to a personal trainer.

I will give this program a chance. I will decrease the amount of weight I normally use. I have been doing 4x12 series and repetitions till now; if I could take 70 kgs (154 pounds) in bench press, I will do the same but with 60 or 55 kgs.

I will tell you how this goes, and if I see any improvements.

GrizzNKev

Banned
My goal for this week is to hit a new PR for every single lift. I'll report in if/when those happen. With the way I've been eating and the progress I've been making, I'm pretty sure I can do it.

4x20 Abs
4x20 Squat
4x20 Back
4x20 Pecs
4x20 Hamstrings
4x20 Biceps
4x20 Triceps
4x20 Quads

You are doing that every single day? I don't understand the logic. And do you mean by pecs you are just gonna do a single chest movement 4x20 and then be done?

This sounds terrible.

BumRush

The idea is to gain strength and some muscles. I'm not a beginner, I've been in the gym for about 5 years, but without coordination, all by myself following some internet stuff. I feel like I've been stuck the last year, and that's why I asked for help to a personal trainer.

I will give this program a chance. I will decrease the amount of weight I normally use. I have been doing 4x12 series and repetitions till now; if I could take 70 kgs (154 pounds) in bench press, I will do the same but with 60 or 55 kgs.

Thanks for the update. 20 reps of each exercise is definitely not recommended for either of your goals (read http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/high-reps-low-reps-which-rep-scheme-is-best.html - it's short - for a little more information).

In regards to gaining strength, the biggest part of strength is progression from workout to workout. All of the programs in the OP stress lower reps (at least for compounds) and increasing weight each time out.

By all means, if you are set on this workout, hit it hard. Just trying to help.

So, I've been doing Strong Lifts for about 7 months now and its been great, however there is this one problem I have. Its taking too much time. Between my cardio warm-up, warm-up sets, workout sets, accessory lifts, and stretching, I'm spending like 2 hours in the gym. I think I'd like to find a routine that still allows me to hit all the lifts but not spend so much time in the gym. Is there anything out there like it? I have about one more month left of bulking before I go on a 6-week cut if that helps.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Do any of you find some of the other gym members highly distracting? At the 24 hour fitness I go to, there's always a few people that are less self-aware. They'll grab weight off the rack while I'm lifting, talk so loudly that I can easily hear them through my earbuds with the sound all the way up, and just do generally annoying shit like dancing around right next to me while I'm trying to focus on my lift so I don't kill myself. Do more serious gyms have this problem? Am I weird for being bothered by this?

I can't say I've ever had people dancing at the gym? Or perhaps I am missing out?

I've been to a range of different types of gyms, from Fitness First to university ones and at the moment, one run by a local council. Its really a case by case basis, and then time of day as well. The thing that annoys me is mainly in busy times when people sit on a machine or bench on their phone for ages. Or that take a heap of weights and then strut around not actually lifting them. But thankfully, they are the minority.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can't say I've ever had people dancing at the gym? Or perhaps I am missing out?

I've been to a range of different types of gyms, from Fitness First to university ones and at the moment, one run by a local council. Its really a case by case basis, and then time of day as well. The thing that annoys me is mainly in busy times when people sit on a machine or bench on their phone for ages. Or that take a heap of weights and then strut around not actually lifting them. But thankfully, they are the minority.

There's a guy at my gym that my buddy and I call Squat Guy. There are three squat racks, and when this guy is there, he tries to take ownership of two of them. He'll set up a deadlift platform on one and have a setup for squats on the other, but he'll spend very little time actually doing those lifts. He'll prop himself up across the safety bars and do squat rack pushups. Then he'll run across the gym and do some wacky shit on one of the benches. Then he'll go back to the squat racks and do crunches. Then he'll run backwards between a row of machines. This goes on for 60-90 minutes, where he occasionally stops to chat up the gym staff, who are clearly friends with him. The guy's untouchable. Sometimes he brings his own speakers, which he plugs in between the squat racks, and tries to play his own music louder than the gym's music.

I changed my schedule to avoid him.

Goddammit. Glucose been all sorts of up and down today for no good reason. Going to have to skip squats today without a spotter and focus on other leg accessories I can do without a chaperone.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
There's a guy at my gym that my buddy and I call Squat Guy. There are three squat racks, and when this guy is there, he tries to take ownership of two of them. He'll set up a deadlift platform on one and have a setup for squats on the other, but he'll spend very little time actually doing those lifts. He'll prop himself up across the safety bars and do squat rack pushups. Then he'll run across the gym and do some wacky shit on one of the benches. Then he'll go back to the squat racks and do crunches. Then he'll run backwards between a row of machines. This goes on for 60-90 minutes, where he occasionally stops to chat up the gym staff, who are clearly friends with him. The guy's untouchable. Sometimes he brings his own speakers, which he plugs in between the squat racks, and tries to play his own music louder than the gym's music.

I changed my schedule to avoid him.

Wowsers. I was hearing the Benny Hill theme song as I was reading that (!).

Tomorrow I will starting following a workout program made by a personal trainer.
Are you sure she's a personal trainer? Because this sounds like it was made by someone who is doing their own thing instead of someone who is familiar with different kinds of training programs.

RM8

So guys, I'm new here, hope to stick around :]

I'm a borderline underweight sedentary guy. I mean, I probably walk more than your average person, but that's clearly the bare minumum you should do and not a fitness achievement at all. Anyway, I started the Nerd Fitness beginner routine on January 23 and I've been doing it once every two days - so today I reached my 5th session. Now, that's a tiny, meaningless, minuscule achievement, but I think at least not dropping this routine is a goal by itself, since I'm apparently so averse to working out, lol. What I've learned is that I suck massively at push-ups, the other exercises are much, much easier for me. I just wanted to know if you guys think this is a good plan for a total noob? Reddit (/r/bodyweightfitness) recommends stuff that seems much more difficult, and I think I should keep this plan at least for now.

marmoka

Banned
You are doing that every single day? I don't understand the logic. And do you mean by pecs you are just gonna do a single chest movement 4x20 and then be done?

This sounds terrible.

Thanks for the update. 20 reps of each exercise is definitely not recommended for either of your goals (read http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/high-reps-low-reps-which-rep-scheme-is-best.html - it's short - for a little more information).

In regards to gaining strength, the biggest part of strength is progression from workout to workout. All of the programs in the OP stress lower reps (at least for compounds) and increasing weight each time out.

By all means, if you are set on this workout, hit it hard. Just trying to help.

Thanks for the comments again. I'm starting to get scared. Anyway, I will try it, and see if how this goes. In one month, if I find myself, tired, with pain, with weight lost, more skinny,... I will stop asking assistance to her. I wonder if she organized a program more suitable for runners or swimmers.

Sounds like most trainers at my gym. Just make the clients do random shit.
Truthfully this. That program reads like some YouTube fitness channels that promise the world but only on their "revolutionary" new routine that goes against every studied convention the past several decades of bodybuilding.

Tried and true programs are tools in every lifter's arsenal no matter the skill level. I'm all for exploring new methods but if it ain't broke...

So guys, I'm new here, hope to stick around :]

I'm a borderline underweight sedentary guy. I mean, I probably walk more than your average person, but that's clearly the bare minumum you should do and not a fitness achievement at all. Anyway, I started the Nerd Fitness beginner routine on January 23 and I've been doing it once every two days - so today I reached my 5th session. Now, that's a tiny, meaningless, minuscule achievement, but I think at least not dropping this routine is a goal by itself, since I'm apparently so averse to working out, lol. What I've learned is that I suck massively at push-ups, the other exercises are much, much easier for me. I just wanted to know if you guys think this is a good plan for a total noob? Reddit (/r/bodyweightfitness) recommends stuff that seems much more difficult, and I think I should keep this plan at least for now.

The adage for noobs and working out is that everything works for the first few months. Bodyweight circuits will work. Your long term goals are what determines what sort of program you actually need.

RM8

The adage for noobs and working out is that everything works for the first few months. Bodyweight circuits will work. Your long term goals are what determines what sort of program you actually need.
Yup, I want to stick with this, and I'm looking forward to the day when this routine feels much easier than it does now :p I'm not sure I even have a clear goal, I just want to be at least somewhat fit (for now), and look the part, lol.

Fox318

Noticed what looked like some mold in my water jug. Tried getting at it with some soap and baking soda but nothing was doing it.

UntiI tried some vinger with some rice.

Jug looks clean as new. Rice worked perfectly.

demented

Other than this thread, of course, what are all of your favorite websites/forums/resources for fitness/health information?

/fit/ just gotta work through trash first but it's a nice community, got more good information and all around positive stuff from there than elsewhere.

BumRush

Other than this thread, of course, what are all of your favorite websites/forums/resources for fitness/health information?

Honestly, I don't anymore. Just GAF and brolic videos if I ever feel my form slip. There are so many dudes on here that'll jump to help out and that's what makes this place extra special.

Fox318

Anyone have any recommendations for gym bags? I was using a bodybuilding.com duffle but it's starting to fall apart. I must say I love the wet pocket and the better organizing the bag has the better.

But it's tough to find a bag that will fit all my stuff yet fit in my gyms tiny ass lockers.

mdsfx

Anyone have any recommendations for gym bags? I was using a bodybuilding.com duffle but it's starting to fall apart. I must say I love the wet pocket and the better organizing the bag has the better.

But it's tough to find a bag that will fit all my stuff yet fit in my gyms tiny ass lockers.

About a year ago I purchased this under armour bag and man it just will not quit. I've put it through hell and not a thing on it has torn or broken. It's just big enough for what I need and has a wet pocket. Love the thing.

despire

That routine is terrible, I wouldn't waste any time on it.

Also you are a beginner most likely. Being a beginner is not measured in years spent in a gym, but in progress made. Looking at your bench press numbers, you are definately still a beginner.

Weighed myself this morning, down to 76kg from 78kg in December. I've definitely lost body fat though I don't know how much, I need to check my body fat percentage as I'm trying to get around the 12% mark before I start my first offical bulk. Still going up in my lifts (slowly with 5/3/1) so I guess I'm not losing strength yet. Is around %12 Bf the ideal before bulking?

PBY

Banned
sb8dp9J.jpg

Made another brisket... Getting closer to where I want it, so gonna keep posting meat porn.

Two weeks without lifting now. Still can't even get into my garage, let alone find space to lift anything in there. Am dragging my turbo trainer into my office so I can use that there, but god knows when I'll be able to lift again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom