• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

I thought IF had more to do with calorie reductions of eating less?

Wouldn't your metabolism burn more if you are being fed smaller meals every 4 to 6 hours?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Wouldn't your metabolism burn more if you are being fed smaller meals every 4 to 6 hours?
The speeding up and slowing down of one's metabolism is so minute that it's barely worth mentioning.

despire

Hey guys,

Curious question......I am about to start a new fitness regimen focused on building muscle. I was FULLY wanting to do the "Beginner's Workout" from the OP, and then I mentioned it to a friend who is in shape and looks real good (basically, he has results to show for his work). He looked at it and sternly stuck by an insistence that it's too rounded and that I should be focusing on specific muscle groups instead of 3 days a week of compound exercises. Basically: Arm day, leg day, shoulder day, back day, etc. and just hammer those muscle groups on their given days.

I'm incredibly conflicted now. I haven't gotten the Starting Strength book (yet)....but is this something I should be concerned about???

My ultimate end goal is to be muscular and lean. Wouldn't mind looking like a Zac Efron or something. I feel like I can totally do that. I've come very far from when I first started (was once a fat 220 and then a skeleton at 135....now I'm a mostly lean-muscle 165 with a tiny bit of belly fat). This is what I look like now (yes, I'm flexing). Hopefully the link works.

So am I on the right track just going with the Beginner's Workout from the OP? Basically all I'm asking.

You can do a brosplit as long as you do it right ie. compound lifts, free weights and heavy sets (4-6 reps etc.) See Bigger Leaner Stronger for example.

Biggest problem with bro splits is usually that people use too much isolation and reps are too high.

Though I would recommend starting with the OP routine for some months at least.

despire

This. If you can get to a 20/4 day at 1500-1600 with consistent training the fat will disappear by the day.

Cooter do you eat 1500-1600kcal per day while cutting?

It doesn't work like that at all, despite the popular belief.

Pyrokai

Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the one in the OP now.

I'm....really nervous about joining a gym and stuff. I knowwwww ....but I have been doing home workouts for about 3 years now And they've treated me well, but I was under such freedom. I'm especially nervous because I've never used a barbell before.....ever. I'm worried I won't work hard enough or something.

Yeah. I've been doing this so long I can barely remember when I started.
I'll def have to work my way up to some IF. Gonna start slow. That's one hell of a commitment bro! Good job for sticking with it for so long.

Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the one in the OP now.

I'm....really nervous about joining a gym and stuff. I knowwwww ....but I have been doing home workouts for about 3 years now And they've treated me well, but I was under such freedom. I'm especially nervous because I've never used a barbell before.....ever. I'm worried I won't work hard enough or something.
You'll be fine. Listen to your body. It will let you know its limits and if it can take more or not over time. Pay attention and you will find your groove, everyone has to start somewhere but grats on pulling the trigger!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cooter do you eat 1500-1600kcal per day while cutting?
I have been lately the week leading up to my cheat day. By day 4 I'm fairly lean and I get a couple days to enjoy it. If I was actually cutting without cheat days I would stick to 1800-2000.

mdsfx

PSA- these Saturday, all-out cheat days are so worth it.

Come in a little heavy Monday, but always dropping fast through the rest of the week. Im also still gaining strength somehow :)

JoeNut

Picked up some BCAA's for cheap, thought they'd be worth a try, anyone got any experience? the pills are bloody massive. Just had my first go with them, instructions say 3 30 mins before workout, 3 straight after, which i've done.

Guess i'll see how i feel by the end of the tub before i judge if they work

Picked up some BCAA's for cheap, thought they'd be worth a try, anyone got any experience? the pills are bloody massive. Just had my first go with them, instructions say 3 30 mins before workout, 3 straight after, which i've done.

Guess i'll see how i feel by the end of the tub before i judge if they work
Are you vegan, do you train fasted or on a crazy calorie deficit?

Otherwise you are probably getting all of your BCAAs and more through food. Even on a deficit you're probably getting more than you need if you keep up with protein needs.

Eggs, meats, milk, fish, nuts, etc - pretty much all of the essential protein foods that you eat will have BCAAs. Eating more of them won't be a benefit.

Good for being on a fast when you train but otherwise its a waste, IMO.

20/4?! daaaamn. not sure i could!

Once you get used to fasting in any window period you can pretty much cut back as much as you want. Limiting the window from 8 to 6 to 4 to even a full 24 hour fast is much easier when your body is already used to abstaining from food.

I could do 6 hours, but I might be a grumpy motherf***er come noon.

Haha well thats a guaranteed side effect!

mdsfx

Once you get used to fasting in any window period you can pretty much cut back as much as you want. Limiting the window from 8 to 6 to 4 to even a full 24 hour fast is much easier when your body is already used to abstaining from food.
I could do 6 hours, but I might be a grumpy motherf***er come noon.

My problem with 4 hours or less isn't about avoiding food (which is trivial), it's about getting enough calories in (which I find extremely difficult).

JoeNut

Are you vegan, do you train fasted or on a crazy calorie deficit?

Otherwise you are probably getting all of your BCAAs and more through food. Even on a deficit you're probably getting more than you need if you keep up with protein needs.

Eggs, meats, milk, fish, nuts, etc - pretty much all of the essential protein foods that you eat will have BCAAs. Eating more of them won't be a benefit.

Good for being on a fast when you train but otherwise its a waste, IMO.

Hmm ok, well no I'm none of those, although I do eat on a slight defecit. I guess they can't do me any harm so I'll see how it goes and decide if I want to carry on after they're done

Today's A1C was 6.7. On point for syringes. Come the pump I'm going to see if I can knock that down to 6 even.

Hmm ok, well no I'm none of those, although I do eat on a slight defecit. I guess they can't do me any harm so I'll see how it goes and decide if I want to carry on after they're done
I feel a lot of supplements are situational and based on extreme deficiencies most people don't have. They are sold through the lens of people not understanding they get almost everything they need with a healthy diet. I don't mind a few supplements but they need to be treated as supplementing a deficiency - like I have a vitamin D deficiency so my doc recommends I take vitamin D.

There are supplements that have benefits for people in the fitness world but you can honestly do more than fine with a proper diet and fitness routine. More than fine.

Just my .02

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
This thread is a gold mine of information. Combing through it and I can't believe how much stuff there is to learn.

It seems like most of you are either following a strength training program or a high cardio compound lifts to get ripped program. Is anyone trying to do a bodybuilding program and if so what kind of routine/mentality do you swear by?

Teggy

I think we're long overdue for some recipe talk in here. I have tried a lot of recipes and have settled on a few that I can eat over and over without getting bored, but I'm always looking for more. I'm also not a big fan of spending a lot of time in the kitchen, so I tend towards things that are easy to make.

I've gone through a bunch of recipes from https://theproteinchef.co and have some favorites. I find that his meals and oatmeals are his best ideas. I've tried some of the cakes but they have always come out dry and stiff. There's plenty I haven't tried though. My favorites of his so far are

Meatloaf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SOixatsZ4) - I love meatloaf so this was a great find for me. I actually use seasoned breadcrumbs and no other seasonings in the recipe because I found that his recipe was way too garlicky for my taste. I also use barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce on top. It just needs a thin layer which keeps the sugar down and it tastes great.

Chicken parm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4uMKxLDT0) - Super easy and tastes great.

Chili (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNA0Ri17QwE) - I make it with ground turkey instead of chicken pieces. I make this less often simply because it's a bit of a pain to drag out the crock pot and clean it when I'm done.

I have tried a bunch of his chicken nuggets/popcorn chicken/etc. While these taste great out of the oven, the only problem is that they don't taste nearly as good warmed up or microwaved because they lose all of their crunch.

Recently I found http://fitmencook.com. There are a ton of great recipes on there and I've started trying out. Something that went immediately into my rotation is

Loaded Tex Mex Wrap (http://fitmencook.com/loaded-tex-mex-wrap/) - I made this easy for my self my cubing the chicken and seasoning while sautéing it, as well as combining the leftover avocado and salsa. When I'm ready to make it I just put 4 tablespoons of avocado mixture, 2 tablespoons of beans, 2 tablespoons of corn and 5 oz. of precooked chicken in a plastic bowl in the microwave for 1 minute or so and then dump it on my wrap. Done.

I've tried the "guiltless fried chicken" (http://fitmencook.com/guiltless-fried-chicken/), but this kind of suffers from the same reheating problem as the Protein Chef stuff.

I've only scratched the surface of this site, though and l'm looking forward to their other ideas.

Another thing I love is fish, and a little quick improvisation I made is a simple baked "fried" tilapia. I buy bags of frozen tilapia filets which are about 4oz each and defrost 2, which happens quickly because they are thin (within an hour usually so I can take them out before I leave for the gym, for example). Some egg white from a carton and cover them with seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs and you get a nice crispy outside.

Another thing I'll make is a kind of makeshift jambalaya. I take a chicken sausage link, and a serving of cooked frozen shrimp and heat them up. Then I drop in half a package of Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice and about half a cup of Newman's black bean and corn salsa and mix it around. Super quick.

Oh, I also eat this a lot for breakfast - French Broast. Took me a while to perfect it, but mostly it's a matter of using the right amount of cinnamon for flavor and learning to cook it so it slides out of the pan. I use some Pepperidge Farms light bread to keep the carbs at a reasonable level and don't add any extra sweeter because the syrup handles that fine.

Wulfric

Did anyone else get those trial Quest bars with the new recipe? I tried Cookie Dough last night and it was noticeably less grainy. It seems like every protein bar has this problem where the ingredients granulate together in a gross fashion. Glad they fixed that on this flavor.

Woke up weighing 162 lbs this morning, getting really close to my goal of 157. At this point I'm aiming for a lean 150 lbs. At my height (5'4") that's probably the lowest I want to go while still maintaining my 5RM.

Teggy

Did anyone else get those trial Quest bars with the new recipe? I tried Cookie Dough last night and it was noticeably less grainy. It seems like every protein bar has this problem where the ingredients granulate together in a gross fashion. Glad they fixed that on this flavor.

Yeah, I had posted before that I had gotten mine and they tasted great, but it had been too long since I had had those flavors to notice any difference. They were super fresh and soft, though. I have definitely had some rock hard Quest bars in the past that needed a spin in the microwave.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yeah, I had posted before that I had gotten mine and they tasted great, but it had been too long since I had had those flavors to notice any difference. They were super fresh and soft, though. I have definitely had some rock hard Quest bars in the past that needed a spin in the microwave.

I've been eating the cookies & cream ones for a while and my latest shipment was significantly better tasting than all the previous ones. The softness and the texture were a big improvement.

Squats have been killing my left hip for weeks now, so I'm going to take a break from them. What's a good alternative? I'm thinking dumbbell lunges, or leg press instead. Any others?

I honestly can't imagine a world without peanut butter

Me and you both Bum, Me and you both.

This is god tier trash right here:
515952b.jpg

It does, though not as much.

Does it hurt as soon as you begin the squat or only at parallel?
Also does running hurt as well?
Have you tried stretching your hip flexors?

Does it hurt as soon as you begin the squat or only at parallel?
Also does running hurt as well?
Have you tried stretching your hip flexors?

As I begin, but running doesn't bother me at all. I feel a slight pain when doing bodyweight squats, and it intensifies with weights. I usually stretch out my hip flexors for a few minutes after warming up, and even longer on my leg day/lower body days.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
I'm seeing results from my routine and have decided to experiment with protein shakes.

So is there any substantial nutritional difference between the standard protein powders and those for women ?

If there isn't I can deal with using powder not wrapped up in pink packaging.

BumRush

I'm seeing results from my routine and have decided to experiment with protein shakes.

So is there any substantial nutritional difference between the standard protein powders and those for women ?

If there isn't I can deal with using powder not wrapped up in pink packaging.

The answer is probably no. In fact, if you are going to have powder I'd recommend 100% whey powders that have few (or no) added ingredients. Do you have a particular powder you want me to look at?

The Enchanter

Neo Member
The answer is probably no. In fact, if you are going to have powder I'd recommend 100% whey powders that have few (or no) added ingredients. Do you have a particular powder you want me to look at?

Not at the moment, only started looking into it today. There is so much out there that its a little overwhelming, and the idea of loading my body up with heaps of additives seemed counter productive.

Will probably forward through something when I've done a bit more research, thanks for the offer!

As I begin, but running doesn't bother me at all. I feel a slight pain when doing bodyweight squats, and it intensifies with weights. I usually stretch out my hip flexors for a few minutes after warming up, and even longer on my leg day/lower body days.

Yup your doing everything right. Just need to rest. Sounds like an injury that will only escalate if you push it.

If you can do them Leg Presses are great and Lunges with your foot on the bench and heavy weight is also murder on your hamstrings and quads.

Fox318

20% bodyfat...

only another 15-20 lbs to my goal but man....BMI charts can be depressing as hell.

What counts as normal weight for my height is 174lbs and I'm at 201 now.

dieting sucks

mkenyon

Banned
@mdsfx

Purchased 5/3/1 and Beyond, read it a bit. I haven't incorporated much of it outside of Joker Sets yet. The idea of those is to provide an extra workload on days when you're feeling strong (or days where you feel like the working sets aren't pushing you enough). Haven't done it long enough to know whether it's making an appreciable difference, but I feel like I'm now being worked properly.

ILoveBish

190lb overhead press super easy today. Had at least another rep in me but did 10x130 FSL instead. This 1s week is going swell so far.

mdsfx

@mdsfx

Purchased 5/3/1 and Beyond, read it a bit. I haven't incorporated much of it outside of Joker Sets yet. The idea of those is to provide an extra workload on days when you're feeling strong (or days where you feel like the working sets aren't pushing you enough). Haven't done it long enough to know whether it's making an appreciable difference, but I feel like I'm now being worked properly.

Thanks for the info! Might grab a copy myself

Yup your doing everything right. Just need to rest. Sounds like an injury that will only escalate if you push it.

If you can do them Leg Presses are great and Lunges with your foot on the bench and heavy weight is also murder on your hamstrings and quads.

Thanks. Ended up doing leg press. Will probably go back and forth between doing them and lunges until I heal up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom