• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goober

I'm having a similar problem with squats as well. My hips are killing me. It's kinda painful when I massage my hip (like actual bone).

I was able to do 3 sets of 180, but I didn't want to strain and cause a serious injury.

this lead me to start thinking about switching from 5x5 to 3x5.
Pros, cons? I did all the other compound lifts 5x5.

bchamba

Hit 355 for 3 on squats 14 weeks ago. Ran a few hypertrophy blocks before starting a strength block this week and hit 365 for 5 after 3 singles. All that volume paying off.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone here use Soy Protein? I have trouble with whey so I gave it up, wanting to get back into shakes and I found some interesting egg and soy based powders, though it seems they are a tad controversial in regards to their efficacy.

lenovox1

Anyone here use Soy Protein? I have trouble with whey so I gave it up, wanting to get back into shakes and I found some interesting egg and soy based powders, though it seems they are a tad controversial in regards to their efficacy.

For what it's worth: Though, more expensive, most vegan protein powders, like Vega, seem to have a mix of rice and pea proteins. (Something something about having the best amino acid profile.)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
For what it's worth: Though, more expensive, most vegan protein powders, like Vega, seem to have a mix of rice and pea proteins. (Something something about having the best amino acid profile.)

At a certain point for your average man who is just trying to build a little bit of lean muscle is it splitting hairs where the protein comes from?

Basically if I can find a way to get a solid 50g from shakes a day that would be awesome, though obviously id like to do it as efficiently as possible.

despire

I think we're long overdue for some recipe talk in here. I have tried a lot of recipes and have settled on a few that I can eat over and over without getting bored, but I'm always looking for more. I'm also not a big fan of spending a lot of time in the kitchen, so I tend towards things that are easy to make.

I've gone through a bunch of recipes from https://theproteinchef.co and have some favorites. I find that his meals and oatmeals are his best ideas. I've tried some of the cakes but they have always come out dry and stiff. There's plenty I haven't tried though. My favorites of his so far are

Meatloaf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SOixatsZ4) - I love meatloaf so this was a great find for me. I actually use seasoned breadcrumbs and no other seasonings in the recipe because I found that his recipe was way too garlicky for my taste. I also use barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce on top. It just needs a thin layer which keeps the sugar down and it tastes great.

Chicken parm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4uMKxLDT0) - Super easy and tastes great.

Chili (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNA0Ri17QwE) - I make it with ground turkey instead of chicken pieces. I make this less often simply because it's a bit of a pain to drag out the crock pot and clean it when I'm done.

I have tried a bunch of his chicken nuggets/popcorn chicken/etc. While these taste great out of the oven, the only problem is that they don't taste nearly as good warmed up or microwaved because they lose all of their crunch.

Recently I found http://fitmencook.com. There are a ton of great recipes on there and I've started trying out. Something that went immediately into my rotation is

Loaded Tex Mex Wrap (http://fitmencook.com/loaded-tex-mex-wrap/) - I made this easy for my self my cubing the chicken and seasoning while sautéing it, as well as combining the leftover avocado and salsa. When I'm ready to make it I just put 4 tablespoons of avocado mixture, 2 tablespoons of beans, 2 tablespoons of corn and 5 oz. of precooked chicken in a plastic bowl in the microwave for 1 minute or so and then dump it on my wrap. Done.

I've tried the "guiltless fried chicken" (http://fitmencook.com/guiltless-fried-chicken/), but this kind of suffers from the same reheating problem as the Protein Chef stuff.

I've only scratched the surface of this site, though and l'm looking forward to their other ideas.

Another thing I love is fish, and a little quick improvisation I made is a simple baked "fried" tilapia. I buy bags of frozen tilapia filets which are about 4oz each and defrost 2, which happens quickly because they are thin (within an hour usually so I can take them out before I leave for the gym, for example). Some egg white from a carton and cover them with seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs and you get a nice crispy outside.

Another thing I'll make is a kind of makeshift jambalaya. I take a chicken sausage link, and a serving of cooked frozen shrimp and heat them up. Then I drop in half a package of Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice and about half a cup of Newman's black bean and corn salsa and mix it around. Super quick.

Oh, I also eat this a lot for breakfast - French Broast. Took me a while to perfect it, but mostly it's a matter of using the right amount of cinnamon for flavor and learning to cook it so it slides out of the pan. I use some Pepperidge Farms light bread to keep the carbs at a reasonable level and don't add any extra sweeter because the syrup handles that fine.

Need to try that meatloaf recipe.

I've been making it in bulk lately but I could improve flavouring. Current recipe is:

2kg chicken (ground)
760g kidney beans
6 eggs
2dl bread crumbs
+seasoning

I divide that in six portions so it lasts me six days.

JoeNut

I'm interested in fhis too , my current shake bloats me like crazy, although I think that's partly down to milk in general

You have to give up one or the other and all related products:

Pizza or peanut butter.

Just ate a large 2 topping pizza by myself (I know its the weekday and its out of my diet, but I just had a shitty renal final and needed to eat my feelings). So i can give up peanut butter

despire

Egg is one of the best albeit it digests very slow.

Pea and brown rice are the best from the plant based sources.

Faiz

I'm interested in fhis too , my current shake bloats me like crazy, although I think that's partly down to milk in general

Have you tried one of the Ultra-filtered lactose free milks like Fairlife or Kroger's Carbmaster? That's helped me tremendously.

hey everyone, just read the OP(s) and there's a lot of great information here — thanks to all involved in putting it together along with the rest of the thread!

i'm just starting out with this and would appreciate it if anyone has any general advice to share, per the OP template.

• Height: 193cm / 6'4
  • Weight: 86kgs / 189lbs
  • Goal: general toning and light shaping
  • Current Training Schedule: really just starting out
  • Current Training Equipment Available: just joined a gym
  • Comments: so i work at home and apart from playing soccer once a week have a very sedentary lifestyle. i'm not exactly overweight — in the middle of average BMI if that means anything (i know it doesn't really) — but i would like to get in better shape and make sure everything's in the right place. i feel like there's some weight around my stomach that would be better off on my arms, for an unscientific example.

also i know i eat pretty badly and drink too much so i've changed that too as of the start of this month — i would assume results will come from that as much as any routines at first. trying to cut sugar out as close to completely as possible.

any particular advice as to how to start out as a beginner that's not really looking to lose weight? i really don't know anything in terms of expected weights to use, number of reps, etc. time isn't a concern, my gym is two minutes' walk away and open 24 hours.

Sean so impressive bro. I am so jealous of you guys being able to wrap your hands underneath the bar like that. I don't have the flexibility for it, it feels like my wrists are going to tear in half.
Same. I use straps for fronts. If I try to shoot my elbows out front my hands wind up next to my ears. Working on it, but yeah.

JoeNut

Have you tried one of the Ultra-filtered lactose free milks like Fairlife or Kroger's Carbmaster? That's helped me tremendously.

never heard of these, guessing you're in the US, we have something kinda similar though i think, it's like twice the price, ill give it a go

mkenyon

Banned
hey everyone, just read the OP(s) and there's a lot of great information here — thanks to all involved in putting it together along with the rest of the thread!

i'm just starting out with this and would appreciate it if anyone has any general advice to share, per the OP template.

• Height: 193cm / 6'4
  • Weight: 86kgs / 189lbs
  • Goal: general toning and light shaping
  • Current Training Schedule: really just starting out
  • Current Training Equipment Available: just joined a gym
  • Comments: so i work at home and apart from playing soccer once a week have a very sedentary lifestyle. i'm not exactly overweight — in the middle of average BMI if that means anything (i know it doesn't really) — but i would like to get in better shape and make sure everything's in the right place. i feel like there's some weight around my stomach that would be better off on my arms, for an unscientific example.

also i know i eat pretty badly and drink too much so i've changed that too as of the start of this month — i would assume results will come from that as much as any routines at first. trying to cut sugar out as close to completely as possible.

any particular advice as to how to start out as a beginner that's not really looking to lose weight? i really don't know anything in terms of expected weights to use, number of reps, etc. time isn't a concern, my gym is two minutes' walk away and open 24 hours.
I'd recommend Starting Strength. That's the first "Full Body" routine in the OP. Start with just the bar (45lbs) on all the exercises and build up from there.
275lb front squat, weighed in at 188 this morning.

https://instagram.com/p/BBTnVLYo6e5/
Nice work Sean!
Log press looking good. 205 strict for 9.

http://youtu.be/R6bKjG0-vpk
The control you exhibit on press is still just as impressive as the first time I saw it.
i feel like today will be a good leg day.
I call these, "Days that end with a Y".
Sean so impressive bro. I am so jealous of you guys being able to wrap your hands underneath the bar like that. I don't have the flexibility for it, it feels like my wrists are going to tear in half.
The key is to not put your hands underneath it, but just your index and middle fingers.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys :)

And Bruce, like MK said, I just wrap my pointer and middle finger around the bar and then really puff up my front delts. It took a while to get that position down, took a lot of practice with just the bar.

Mully

Had some major medical issues which kept me from the gym since last March, and prior to that an ACL tear that occurred in November '13. Got clearance from my athletic trainer/physical therapist that I'm allowed to start training again. Glad to be back.

I'm starting off today with OHP, Dips, and rows. Not sure where I'll stand, but just happy to be back at the red and yellow gym and in this thread. Cheers guys.

PS, any pointers for a former 5/3/1'er that had to take a long break due to an ACL tear, and other complications? It's been almost two years since my body has completely healed from all of my injuries. From preliminary tests, I haven't lost as much strength as I believed I did, but I still believe I should start with SS.

Seeing those log press made me wonder

Does a belt help with stability for an overhead press?
Belts are used to help keep your spine straight with proper breathing and tightening of your core. Using a belt alone won't help, proper actuation of core muscles and breathing help place the core under compression, decreasing movement of the spine. Not an instant fix unless you use it correctly.

You can workout with or without one. It is preferred not to use one unless you need the stability as many exercises like OHP help build core strength or when the weight is super heavy as in Brolic's case.

I use them in occasion - mostly when OHP on my knees (I vary them from standing, sitting, kneeling) as I feel I need the most stability then when doing 5x5 or 3x5.

Just my .02.

mkenyon

Banned
I've tried looking up information on whether or not a belt retards building core muscles, but everything I can find is people just saying it without a source.

Is there anything definitive on this?

And Bruce, like MK said, I just wrap my pointer and middle finger around the bar and then really puff up my front delts. It took a while to get that position down, took a lot of practice with just the bar.

Even with just my fingers it feels like I am straining a tendon in my palm. I probably just need to work on getting more mobility there but I'm such a baby.

despire

I've tried looking up information on whether or not a belt retards building core muscles, but everything I can find is people just saying it without a source.

Is there anything definitive on this?

It doesn't AFAIK. If anything, you can push your core muscles harder against the belt, activating them more.

Not sure if there's any real studies done on this but this is what Rip and others say if I remember right.

mkenyon

Banned
It doesn't AFAIK. If anything, you can push your core muscles harder against the belt, activating them more.

Not sure if there's any real studies done on this but this is what Rip and others say if I remember right.
That's what I've always felt, personally, which is why I've tried looking up data on it.

The idea that, "you shouldn't use a belt to build up core muscles", seems like one of those oft-repeated concepts that one person just said off the cuff at some point, and has since become gospel.

I'm seeing articles supporting both sides with a quick Google search. I think the most concerning aspect is the increase of blood pressure while wearing a belt.

If you can push more with a belt than you can without, there is merit to discussion on its use and how it affects growth but I did not find conclusive studies that confirm or deny either camp but both sides exist. Neither side is "gospel" and are both worth discussion.

I just realized you're that Sean. I thought you were a different poster altogether. When did you get so lean? You look good

Szu

I just realized you're that Sean. I thought you were a different poster altogether. When did you get so lean? You look good

I think it was around the same time he upgraded his face with facial hair.

He might as well change his username to LeanR1221.

mkenyon

Banned
I think it was around the same time he upgraded his face with facial hair.

He might as well change his username to LeanR1221.
LOL Amazing.
I'm seeing articles supporting both sides with a quick Google search. I think the most concerning aspect is the increase of blood pressure while wearing a belt.

If you can push more with a belt than you can without, there is merit to discussion on its use and how it affects growth but I did not find conclusive studies that confirm or deny either camp but both sides exist. Neither side is "gospel" and are both worth discussion.
100% agreed.

It seems like something that should be entirely tabled until studies are done.

100% agreed.

It seems like something that should be entirely tabled until studies are done.

I don't think it should be tabled since its in the OP:

Belt-Belts are meant to increase the support of your core through increasing your intrabdominal pressure. This is why the belts that taper in the front are quite perplexing--you WANT the pressure on your abdominal wall. Get a belt that is the same width all the way around. I only recommend using a belt on your heaviest sets, and only if you need to--they can impair your ability to increase your core strength if you become reliant on them.

My personal opinion is that belts decrease the available space in which you can compress and push your core, adding a "wall" around your abdomen. That's how they are designed. Decreasing the available area in which you can compress and push your core lowers the range of motion needed for proper support. While you are still pushing 100% against the belt as you would without it - the added support may remove the need for accessory non-beach muscles to work as hard as they would need to without a belt.

Any time you add any piece of gear to increase support like wrist straps or a belt - you do so as a means to help you finish the job you wouldn't be able to do without it. I wear straps on occasion when my elbow flares up because that causes pain and my grip to fail. If i wore them constantly, even with a solid grip, my grip force would not be nearly as strong.

Again, its a fine discussion to have with or without scientific research as any of us can share our opinions and experiences with training. I'm not against anyone stating their preferences for or against any type of training hardware or regimen. We are all different beasts :D

mkenyon

Banned
I don't think the comparison to straps makes a lot of sense.

A lot of people wear belts to help keep proper form and to prevent injury. Straps are a tool to directly overcome lack of grip strength. Belts are not a tool to overcome lack of core strength.

I agree on being fine to express opinions, but the quoted opinion piece does not sound like opinion. That's being used as a fact (and a frequently repeated one) without any basis, as far as I can tell.

Teggy

I know there has been at least one study that showed that wearing a belt did a better job activating core muscles. I would have to go search for it though.

That said, everything I've ever read has also said to go beltless until you do your working sets, even by those who say that wearing a belt increases activation of the core.

Actually here's one right here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10619094

Here's the full text: https://javierbutragueno.files.word...-of-abdominal-belts-on-lifting-parameters.pdf

I don't think the comparison to straps makes a lot of sense.

A lot of people wear belts to help keep proper form and to prevent injury. Straps are a tool to directly overcome lack of grip strength. Belts are not a tool to overcome lack of core strength.

I agree on being fine to express opinions, but the quoted opinion piece does not sound like opinion. That's being used as a fact (and a frequently repeated one) without any basis, as far as I can tell.
The quoted opinion piece is not an opinion piece, its the very first post of this thread every new fitness member is advised to read meant as instruction.

And I was making a simple analogy, not a direct comparison, using straps as an example of an "aid" device, like a belt is. The two are not directly comparable but they both fall in the same camp of hardware aids.

Cagey

Banned
Any experience here with Mark Bell's Sling Shot? I'm considering the purchase while I'm still in winter hibernation bulk mode. How has it helped with improving your bench without the device?

Matugi

Need a DL doctor again. Felt wonky so I recorded myself at a heavier weight and noticed I had poor lat recruitment, so I reloaded and focused on that here. Still think I'm getting my knees too far over the bar but I have such short legs that I can't sit back AND keep my shoulders over the bar.
https://youtu.be/7L3OCDhyhK8

Thanks friends

mkenyon

Banned
The quoted opinion piece is not an opinion piece, its the very first post of this thread every new fitness member is advised to read meant as instruction.

And I was making a simple analogy, not a direct comparison, using straps as an example of an "aid" device, like a belt is. The two are not directly comparable but they both fall in the same camp of hardware aids.
Gotcha, I was confused by this:

Any time you add any piece of gear to increase support like wrist straps or a belt - you do so as a means to help you finish the job you wouldn't be able to do without it.

I wear a belt on jobs I can finish just fine without. But I feel like the belt not only helps me think about keeping my core tight, but also jabs into me oddly when my form is off, which is a great mental cue to stay healthy.

And yeah, I think that part of the OP should be revised, unless there is data somewhere that proves it.

angry cause im hungry

c60Gwac.jpg

Gotcha, I was confused by this:

I wear a belt on jobs I can finish just fine without. But I feel like the belt not only helps me think about keeping my core tight, but also jabs into me oddly when my form is off, which is a great mental cue to stay healthy.

And yeah, I think that part of the OP should be revised, unless there is data somewhere that proves it.
I hear that, man. I worded it poorly, I agree. And I agree until there is definitive proof then it should be nixed.

angry cause im hungry
Goddamn man! You are one big dude!

SeanR1221

Even with just my fingers it feels like I am straining a tendon in my palm. I probably just need to work on getting more mobility there but I'm such a baby.

I'm with you dude. Something about it just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

Ah sorry Bruce I thought you were wrapping your whole hand under it. One cue that helped me is I pretend I'm squeezing my man boobs together when I shove my elbows up lol.

But in the beginning it always hurt my wrist because I was doing it wrong. Now there's no pressure on my wrists and I can make that delt shelf. The other ways of doing it don't feel right for me. But some guys have huge front squats using other methods so it's not like it's a more valid way.

Haha yes I'm that Sean! Been leaning out over the past year :) thanks

angry cause im hungry

Hair and body on point 👌 Fantastic man.

ILoveBish

Hit 415 on deadlift easy as heck. Feeling amazing. Huge meal Saturday, my fiance's family is coming over for dinner. After Sunday, I'll start a long fast, then PSMF will begin along with rolling back 5 months on lifts and going for volume.

Fe you look terrific. Keep getting leaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom