• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Free Quest Bars came in. F*CK YES. Thank you whoever gave us all the heads-up!

Insulin pump just arrived. Goddamn my class can't come soon enough!

Best workout I've ever had today. I feel so energized.

Hit 415 on deadlift easy as heck. Feeling amazing. Huge meal Saturday, my fiance's family is coming over for dinner. After Sunday, I'll start a long fast, then PSMF will begin along with rolling back 5 months on lifts and going for volume.

Fe you look terrific. Keep getting leaner.

FitGAF, the happiest place on earth.

Well, it's no-where near how I want it at the moment (hole in the garage roof in one corner, bunch of the landlord's shit in the other), but the pain cave is now at a point where I can get a workout in... and soon back to being at a point where I can use the turbo trainer.

2016-02-0322.20.28l7q9s.jpg

2016-02-0322.20.37vzp8g.jpg

Hopefully soon the power rack I want will be back in stock and I can get that ordered.

Edit - Not sure what's with the potato camera second shot.

Ambitious

I decided to finally do something for my body again. My first attempt at getting into shape was a failure, as I went overboard and gave up after a few weeks. The next attempt in the following year was just half-assed; I lacked discipline. I quit even sooner.

This time, I'm gonna stick with a short, but feasible routine, and I'm gonna set realistic goals. Most importantly, I will work out consistently. No more "not today"s.

100 squats, 50 push-ups, 50 sit-ups in five sets (20/10/10 in each set). Monday to Saturday; break on Sunday. Is this appropriate for a beginner? I don't know, but it sounds good to me. I will eventually expand my routine, of course, but for the time being, I'm gonna strictly follow this one. Maybe I'll increase the number of reps in a month or so.

Today's day two. I struggled with the push-ups in the first two sets because my muscles were still sore from yesterday, but I didn't have any problems with the remaining three sets. I feel good.

Halfway through week 3. When I started, I used to struggle with the push-ups starting from set 3, but that's not a problem anymore. Occasionally, I have to pause for like two seconds when doing the last set of push-ups, but apart from that, it's a breeze.

As planned, after nine more days of training, I'm gonna extend my program a bit. I was just wondering: How many sets should I add? Or should I rather stick with five and add more reps per set instead? Or maybe add sets as well as reps?

Szu

FitGAF, the happiest place on earth.

Well, mostly everybody is doing great, but there's the other end of the spectrum which is where I am right now.

Been sick from the beginning of this week. The worst symptom this time around is severe dehydration. My fluid intake kept lagging behind my body's need. My whole body ached.

I haven't felt this total body soreness since the first full workout session, which was like almost 2....many years ago.

And the worst of the worst was when I sneezed so hard that my abs cramped up. As I'm stretching out my mid-section, I look pretty much like Nadal during that interview cramp.

mdsfx

Man, I'm hitting my calories and macros on the dot every single day. Even managing much less sugar, although I could've used more fiber today. This cut is happening more slowly than last year, but I'm gaining strength and getting faster. Ran 5 miles on the treadmill at 7.8mph today. Totally worth it!

BF at roughly 11%, very close to 10s (calipers)

Fox318

Well, it's no-where near how I want it at the moment (hole in the garage roof in one corner, bunch of the landlord's shit in the other), but the pain cave is now at a point where I can get a workout in... and soon back to being at a point where I can use the turbo trainer.

2016-02-0322.20.28l7q9s.jpg

2016-02-0322.20.37vzp8g.jpg

Hopefully soon the power rack I want will be back in stock and I can get that ordered.

Edit - Not sure what's with the potato camera second shot.
We both seem to have specialized bikes

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Man, I'm hitting my calories and macros on the dot every single day. Even managing much less sugar, although I could've used more fiber today. This cut is happening more slowly than last year, but I'm gaining strength and getting faster. Ran 5 miles on the treadmill at 7.8mph today. Totally worth it!

BF at roughly 11%, very close to 10s (calipers)

what program are you using to track your macros?

Teggy

Well, mostly everybody is doing great, but there's the other end of the spectrum which is where I am right now.

Been sick from the beginning of this week. The worst symptom this time around is severe dehydration. My fluid intake kept lagging behind my body's need. My whole body ached.

I haven't felt this total body soreness since the first full workout session, which was like almost 2....many years ago.

And the worst of the worst was when I sneezed so hard that my abs cramped up. As I'm stretching out my mid-section, I look pretty much like Nadal during that interview cramp.

We're all going to make it something something.

I'm actually weaning myself off paxil right now and dealing with the wonkiness that comes with the withdrawal.

mkenyon

Banned

Just high kick that virus in the face.

ILoveBish

Ok, tried 5 different b up bars. Before I get into comparisons about flavors, I'll mention a few other things. Unlike quest bars, I never felt kicked out of ketosis once. And I actually had help going to the restroom due to these bars. Quest barely helps me for that.

Chocolate mint - terribad.

Sugar cookie - terribad.

Peanut butter - pretty damn good.

Vanilla peanut butter - good. But doesn't need to exist thanks to normal peanut butter.

Chocolate chip cookie dough - good but wouldn't want again.

I've tried every quest bar possible for comparison.

PBY

Banned
Ok, tried 5 different b up bars. Before I get into comparisons about flavors, I'll mention a few other things. Unlike quest bars, I never felt kicked out of ketosis once. And I actually had help going to the restroom due to these bars. Quest barely helps me for that.

Chocolate mint - terribad.

Sugar cookie - terribad.

Peanut butter - pretty damn good.

Vanilla peanut butter - good. But doesn't need to exist thanks to normal peanut butter.

Chocolate chip cookie dough - good but wouldn't want again.

I've tried every quest bar possible for comparison.

Haven't tried peanut butter. But the rest squares w/ my analysis.

Szu

We're all going to make it something something.

I'm actually weaning myself off paxil right now and dealing with the wonkiness that comes with the withdrawal.

Man, there were a couple of days where I felt I was stumbling through my day. Good thing I didn't go to the gym.

My deadlift would looked like this

Without the heels. And I wouldn't be wearing that dress.

Black isn't my color. :p

Fox318

Machine Whey is the best tasting powder I've had so far.

But I also mix in a scoop of barndad fiber so I might be a little odd in that aspect.

Damn, bruvs. Get to feeling better. Hydrate, rest and refresh thyself.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well one of the nicest things ever happened to me at the gym just now. Was rushing and super setted hanging leg raises after deadlifts since I wanted to make it home in time for Colbert. I ended up kinda hurting myself and was down on my knee with my abs in pain. A member saw it and walked me out of the gym in case I needed help getting to the car. He was incredibly nice and would not let me leave until he was sure I could make it home safely. I'm at home now and no longer in pain since I think it was just a slight pull or something. But still was not expecting a stranger to go out of their way to make sure I was ok.

mdsfx

Deadlift form check please

Definitely felt my glutes and hamstrings more today. Not sure how much farther back I can sit. Focused on keeping chest high.

Thoughts?

Edit: more hip drive perhaps?
Edit#2: I think what this boils down to is that I have a weak core/lower back :/

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Machine Whey is the best tasting powder I've had so far.

But I also mix in a scoop of barndad fiber so I might be a little odd in that aspect.

Machine Whey is indeed one of the best tasting protein I've tried. Red Velvet Cake is godly.

LordAmused

What is GAF opinion on headphones/earphones at the gym? I am currently debating whether I should buy a new pair of over-the-ear headphones or just stick with my current OEM Apple earbuds. I am looking for some new ones because I am tired of having my ears ripped apart by the cord; it's way too short.

Now, for anybody who is using over-the-ear headphones currently while working-out, is sweat a problem? And doesn't it look kind of "goofy" in a gym? I mean, to me it's all about sound quality, I guess it shouldn't really matter, but still?

I can't imagine using headphones in the gym, though I know a lot of people do. I'd end up knocking them off.

WRT earphones... there are various "sweat proof" ear buds, but the ones I've tried I've always ended up breaking over time anyway.

Eidan

Hey FitGAF, question.

I've been thinking of spicing up my workout. I've been doing 5/3/1 for years now, and just want to do something different and concentrate on a lift I really want to become a master of. Specifically, the squat. What are people's opinion of the Bulgarian method here with regards to the squat? Garbage? Good, but only for the most elite of lifters?

What is GAF opinion on headphones/earphones at the gym? I am currently debating whether I should buy a new pair of over-the-ear headphones or just stick with my current OEM Apple earbuds. I am looking for some new ones because I am tired of having my ears ripped apart by the cord; it's way too short.

Now, for anybody who is using over-the-ear headphones currently while working-out, is sweat a problem? And doesn't it look kind of "goofy" in a gym? I mean, to me it's all about sound quality, I guess it shouldn't really matter, but still?

I'm eventually getting myself a set of wireless headphones, because I'm tired of fidgeting with the cord.

Hey FitGAF, question.

I've been thinking of spicing up my workout. I've been doing 5/3/1 for years now, and just want to do something different and concentrate on a lift I really want to become a master of. Specifically, the squat. What are people's opinion of the Bulgarian method here with regards to the squat? Garbage? Good, but only for the most elite of lifters?

I know you're looking for Gaffer's opinions but have you tried looking at this site:Powerlifting To Win.

This guy has done reviews of many popular Powerlifting programs.

Teggy

These are the ones I use:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014OVP09Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$25, so if they eventually die no big deal.

As far as over the ear phones - Beats headphones at the gym are practically a meme at this point so I gather wearing them doesn't really bother most people.

entremet

I forgot how difficult BBB was in the beginning.

It's just adaptation effects. It will get better quickly as your body adjust to the volume.

I'm finding it rather moderate since I'm coming off full body programs, which tend to beat you up with compounds.

BumRush

Deadlift form check please

Definitely felt my glutes and hamstrings more today. Not sure how much farther back I can sit. Focused on keeping chest high.

Thoughts?

Edit: more hip drive perhaps?
Edit#2: I think what this boils down to is that I have a weak core/lower back :/

Dude it's definitely better than last one, but you're still being too gentle when lowering the weight. It's causing you to put all of that weight on your forearms which is going to wear you out early.

mdsfx

Dude it's definitely better than last one, but you're still being too gentle when lowering the weight. It's causing you to put all of that weight on your forearms which is going to wear you out early.
Tried dropping out quickly today, ended up skinning my leg above my left knee lol. It's so hard for me to keep my knees out of the way. It's frustrating, but I'm not giving up.

BumRush

Tried dropping out quickly today, ended up skinning my leg above my left knee lol. It's so hard for me to keep my knees out of the way. It's frustrating, but I'm not giving up.

Once you're locked out, you've won. Get rid of the bar anyway you can that doesn't involve slowly lowering it with your arms. That's so much wasted energy. Post another one when you can.

mdsfx

Once you're locked out, you've won. Get rid of the bar anyway you can that doesn't involve slowly lowering it with your arms. That's so much wasted energy. Post another one when you can.
I guess I'm trying to maintain decent posture, but are you saying at that point I can just drop that shit pivoting at my hip if need be (legs mostly straight)?

BumRush

I guess I'm trying to maintain decent posture, but are you saying at that point I can just drop that shit pivoting at my hip if need be (legs mostly straight)?

I wouldn't just let go, but you should let gravity take the bar to the ground with your arms just guiding it. From your video, your arms are actually controlling the descent. Make sense?

mdsfx

I wouldn't just let go, but you should let gravity take the bar to the ground with your arms just guiding it. From your video, your arms are actually controlling the descent. Make sense?
100%. Felt like I was doing deadlift negatives lol. Thanks

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hit me with your Super Bowl cheat meal.

Chilli, pizza, hot dogs, doughnuts, ice cream, and cheesecake here!

justjim89

I signed up for Planet Fitness in my area today and did my first workout there. Been running outside since September and can pretty reliably go 2 hours at around 5 mph. But man, running on a treadmill sucks. I thought "Hey, I won't have to worry about windchill and I can watch something on my phone and it'll be easier!" Nope. Holy shit. Couldn't even go an hour without slowing to a walking pace a few times. It's so discouraging having your time and distance right there in front of you, trying not to constantly look at it. Especially with no scenery passing by or no visible progress made.

I feel like I got a better sweat out of that hour than I usually do on my runs, but I burned decidedly less calories. At least I can get into some lifting there, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom